Start by marking “Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)

Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #4)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  28,773 Ratings  ·  536 Reviews
Always be polite to dragons!

That's what Daystar's mother taught him... and it's a very wise lesson—one that might just help him after his mom hands him a magic sword and kicks him out of the house. Especially because his house sits on the edge of the Enchanted Forest and his mother is Queen Cimorene.

But the tricky part is figuring out what he's supposed to do with the mag
Audiobook, 7 pages
Published February 6th 2007 by Listening Library (first published 1985)

Ahmed  Ejaz
WOW WOW WOW... !
My feelings are just out of control after reading the last book of this series. Maybe that's because this is my first series I have ever completed OR maybe I am over happy after reading a series of 4 books because this is my biggest series I had ever started. I don't know the exact reason. Never mind, who cares! I just wanted a good series and I think I have read one.
Before saying anything else I must say this series is totally for children. Maybe some teens or adults will not
MrsJoseph

3.5 stars rounded down to 3 stars

Tamika,

I've put the entire review for this final book in the series below. Hope you enjoy (cause you know I only posted this for you, lol)!

NOTE: This review contains spoilers for the previous three (3) books in this series. Please read those books prior to reading this review.

Talking to Dragons is the fourth and final installation in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. It's been a fun ride and I'm a little sad to see it end.

I
Sara Saif

This series has been surprisingly wonderful! I still believe that the best book was the first one but the rest were equally magnificent. The books were light and chucklesome. Never once did I feel that things were slow or boring in all 4 books and I was glued to the spot reading. The story flowed effortlessly and managed to make perfect sense even with all the ridiculousness.

The last book takes place roughly 16 years after the third one. This time it’s Cimorene’s son, Daystar, we follow as he at
So even though this is chronologically the last book in the series, PC Wrede wrote it first - the first 3 are prequels. So as I was re-reading this book I kept thinking "why, this is really quite impressive the way that PC Wrede created such an elegantly seamless backstory to this book in the form of the first three books! And she's so effortlessly woven it into the details of this story when she didn't even really know what was going to be in them!" But then I got to the end of the book and the ...more
Jo
Aug 13, 2011 Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have preferred that Wrede end this series with the third book...moving on to the second generation of characters is usually not as fun. For me, the motivation of the main character just didn't seem strong enough, and while I realize that this fantasy series is meant to be lighter in tone than some of its more dramatic counterparts, the characters' emotions were a trifle too understated for my taste.
Anya
Jan 09, 2016 Anya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me so so happy right when I needed it. It's hilarious, I love the new mc's and a new dragon and kitten! Will there ever be more??
Val
Mar 10, 2014 Val rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first three books in the series are in 3rd pov, but this one is in 1st pov. This really makes the flatness of the characters stand out.

The main character has no thoughts. No signs of intelligence or life. The kid is a 16 year old boy scout who only shows the barest of hints of interest in the girl who is suppose to be his love interest [they end up together at the end yet it just feels forced as there isn't any flirting or romantic interest expressed in any other way etc throughout the book)
Marc Secchia
I loved the first three. While this one had great humour the protagonist seemed too shallow for my liking, and the denouement too trite. A super series overall, somewhat dragged down by this final volume.
Ann
Dec 31, 2011 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first two books in this series, but the third and this, the fourth, books, seem to be geared to a younger and younger audience. And while I love a good middle grade fantasy story, I felt this one didn't have the complexity within the plot or characters that I would have liked, and that MG readers can handle.

The main focus of this tale seemed to be to encourage politeness. And while I love that theme, it did feel a bit heavy handed at times.

For 16 years of age, I felt our protagonist
Lara
When I first read the blurb about this book and realized it would be about Cimorene's son, I was worried. Then I started reading and it was also in the first person, which was another change. However, I quickly realized that I enjoyed this book even better than the previous three in the trilogy, though it didn't have so much of the new magical ideas and items as the other ones.

Daystar is now a teen and it's time for him to go help free his father, who has been magically bound his entire life. Un
Amy
In book 4 of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, the narrator is Daystar, Cimorene's son. He is on a sent on a quest with a magical sword. Along the way, he meets evil wizards, a fire witch named Shiara, and a young talking dragon.

The first time I started this book, I had not read any of the others. I read about 30 pages in a restaurant while waiting for my food because it was the only book I had with me. I didn't finish because I don't really like to read things out of order - but I was intrigued
Gerriane
Right now I'm a bit confused.

The story was alright but I felt like it wasn't as good as the other books. By 'good' I mean, well-plotted, funny or interesting. There were still some twists to the usual fairy tales but not as much as before and I got the feeling that it was mainly about Daystar and his sword. This is because (view spoiler)

Another thing which left me confused:
The
Punk
Jul 16, 2007 Punk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA Fantasy. Book three in this series ends on a cliffhanger and book four picks up sixteen years later. That was unexpected. We've also got a new narrator for this one: Daystar, a very polite, logical young man, whose mother slaps a sword in his hand and sends him off into the Enchanted Forest one day without really telling him why. His mother is, of course, Queen Cimorene, and his dad's off in a magical coma, but Daystar doesn't know any of that. He's just trying to make sense of this sudden ne ...more
Lumi
Aug 05, 2013 Lumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This wonderful amazing phenomenal book is doubtless one of my favorites ever to grace my bookshelf! I first read it as a young fifth or sixth grader, and soon I had read it multiple times.
The fantasy setting is definitely for kids. It's light, magical, and generally fun. The "bad" characters are bad in a fairy-tale kind of way, and yet the archetypal hero and heroine's roles are complex enough to be interesting. This novel takes many fairy-tale stereotypes and turns them on their heads.
That's
Diana
It's been sixteen years since the events in Calling On Dragons and Daystar has been raised by his mother Cimorene, not knowing his true heritage. When the wizards finally track them down, Cimorene sends Daystar with the magical sword into the Enchanted Forest on a mysterious quest.

This was a little different, with Daystar being the first-person narrator. He's a very interesting narrator, and brings a fresh perspective on things. I was a little annoyed that no one would tell him anything and ever
Alexa
Nov 30, 2016 Alexa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.75 stars! Oh, I did so enjoy this conclusion, despite the fact I had to get used to the narration AND I did get a bit peevish about the way some of the things unfold. Still a great deal of fun though, and I loved the new characters a lot!
Emily Ellsworth
I enjoyed the first book in this series (Dealing with Dragons), but I became increasingly disappointed with the series. The last book was better than the third, but still lacked the quirky originality that I loved in the first book.
ShoSho
A bit better than the third one but not as good as the first 2.
Bethany
Apr 07, 2017 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably my favorite installment in the series. The plot was more purposeful than in the previous books, and there were not any incredibly annoying magical bunnies.
Grace
Allison Ruvidich
"Talking to Dragons," although the last book in the series, is the first book Patricia C. Wrede wrote, and it shows.
THE WRITING: was weird. Very weird. Wrede used some variant of "I thought", "he/she looked", or "I felt", I am not kidding you, at least twice a page. Unlike the other books in this series, this one was written from the perspective of Daystar, the baffled son of Mendanbar and Cimorene. I felt Wrede's use of first person was very clumsy and unwieldy; it didn't work nearly as well as
Emily
Finished! While I enjoyed this entire series, in a lot of ways I thought that Talking to Dragons was the weakest of the four books. Poor Daystar is essentially thrown into the deep end of the pool - er, Enchanted Forest - with no clue what's going on and stumbles around chancing on the right people and creatures and tasks and scraps of information. And he was sooooo nice. So nice, in fact, that he was a bit bland.

So many elements of the story just kind of "appeared" at the right time. I mean, i
hpboy13
Argh. Okay, here's my beef - this book makes no sense in light of the first three! It's a good book on its own. And I know that it was published first, which is why there are so many inconsistencies... but reading the series in the designated order, I was doing double-takes throughout this entire book. It's not really fair, but still... *flails*

Okay, so yeah - Wrede completely and utterly failed at having the previous series lead up to this book, or at sufficiently revising this one. One of the
Hilary
While Calling on Dragons was a fairly marvelous book (and starring Morwen no less), Talking to Dragons was a bit of a disappointment. There was far too much action happening behind the scenes for my liking, and the switch from third person to first person point of view was downright jarring. The book read more like a first draft than it did a final product. I don't know if it was rushed or what, but it's a bit shocking when reading the books straight through to see it change this much...

Talki
Myles
Jan 17, 2017 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daystar is living as perfectly normal of a life as someone can while living on the edge of the Enchanted Forest until a wizard visits his mother and gets melted. With no explanation, his mother than hands him a sword and pushes him into the forest and tells him to figure it out. It doesn't take him long to find an adventure and pick up some interesting companions along the way, including a teenage Dragon and a fire-witch with a block on doing magic. A lizard occasionally points the way.

While wri
Leah Alvord
Apr 13, 2015 Leah Alvord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I read the introduction on the 4, but didn't start the book until yesterday, the 7th. And what I have to say so far is:

1. This is the end in the beginning. If that makes no sense, then you didn't read any of the introductions or bother to look up the series at any point. What it means is that 'Talking to Dragons' was the first book of the 'Enchanted Forest Chronicles' to be written. Which is why it is different from any of the others.

2. This was the third novel Patricia C. Wrede wrote.
Melissa
Jul 20, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly Fields
By this point the Enchanted Forest Chronicles start to feel pretty repetitive. The ending was totally obvious from the very beginning of the book (and even from the ending of the last book). I thought Daystar was an annoying protagonist. Just once I would have liked to see him do something impetuous! It would have helped the reader to identify with him much more. Also, Shiara was a totally unsatisfying sidekick. She was so annoying I couldn't figure out why Daystar would actually fall in love wi ...more
Loralee
Apr 21, 2010 Loralee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth and final book in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles was one of my favorites. Sixteen years after book three ends, we pick up the story as Cimorene hands her teenage son, Daystar a sword he's never seen before and tells him to journey into the Enchanted Forest and not to come back until he's accomplished something! Talk about tough love!

Along the way, he discovers a somewhat rude Fire Witch who has a hard time controlling her magic and an assortment of wizards (always bad news), witches,
Noella
Years pass since the events of the third book. The main character is Daystar, the son of Cimorene and King Mendanbar. We follow him as his mother equips him with a sword and he goes on a quest to uncover the past and discover more about his parentage. I didn't really enjoy this book given I took just over 20 days to finish it... it just wasn't something I was rushing to pick back up once I put it down. The main reason was because this last book just lacked the magic and uniqueness of the first b ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #135 - Talking to Dragons 1 1 Sep 02, 2014 05:37AM
  • Sign of the Dove (The Dragon Chronicles, Book 3)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • A Sending of Dragons (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 2 (Chrestomanci #3-4)
  • Tris's Book (Circle of Magic, #2)
  • Wren's Quest (Wren, #2)
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
Patricia Collins Wrede was born in Chicago, Illinois and is the eldest of five children. She started writing in seventh grade. She attended Carleton College in Minnesota, where she majored in Biology and managed to avoid taking any English courses at all. She began work on her first novel, Shadow Magic, just after graduating from college in 1974. She finished it five years later and started her se ...more
More about Patricia C. Wrede...

Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books)
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)

“If you're going to be rude, do it for a reason and get something from it.” 14 likes
“My mother taught me to be polite to dragons. Particularly polite, I mean; she taught me to be ordinary polite to everyone...but dragons are a special case. -Daystar” 3 likes