Start by marking “The Palace Of Eternity” as Want to Read:
The Palace Of Eternity

The Palace Of Eternity

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published 1972 by Pan Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace Of Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace Of Eternity

Dune by Frank HerbertFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Foundation Trilogy by Isaac AsimovRendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Golden Age & New Wave SF
143rd out of 229 books — 217 voters
The People Could Fly by Virginia HamiltonSabriel by Garth NixA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleWho's in Rabbit's House? by Verna AardemaPish, Posh, Said Hieronymus Bosch by Nancy Willard
Cover Art By Leo and Diane Dillon
38th out of 38 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
- Hi Beatrice! Nice to see you again. And this must be Dante? Signor Alighieri, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Solomon. Welcome to the Heaven of the Sun. What do you think?

- It's, uh, neat. And I'm honoured to meet you, King Solomon -

- Call me Sol. No need for formality in the afterlife. So, let me introduce you to the Hosts of the Wise. I bet you'd get on with Boethius, and the Venerable Bede, and Al Einstein -

- Who?

- Oh, I'm sorry, I keep forgetting. After your time. A philosopher from the t
Roddy Williams
'The planet Mnemosyne, surrounded by a lambent shell of tiny moon-fragments, was known throughout the Federation as the Poets’ World. It was a beautiful planet far inside the frontiers of Man’s long war with the alien Pythsyccans, and it was to this quiet world that Mack Tavernor retired when he resigned from the Federation forces.

But suddenly the peace of Mnemosyne was shattered; the Federation was moving its military headquarters here. Man’s forces were in retreat – and now that Mnemosyne had
Toby
Loved this!
David
Raj
Mar 21, 2010 Raj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
It's the Future and Humanity is at war with an inscrutable alien species. A war which they're losing. The book focuses on one man, who had previously fought in the war and is now a mechanic on a remote planet far from the front.

Bob Shaw is an excellent writer with a great gift for words. I have to say that I saw the "twist" coming from the start of part two but it was nice seeing how it got there.
Marianne
A solid short sci-fi book, with a good introduction to the world and the war with an incommunicable alien race. The twist two-thirds of the way through the book was alluded to, but still felt a bit random to me, and thereafter I felt the story a bit rushed. I don't regret reading it, as it was a reasonable extrapolation of the future and had some neat concepts, but I wouldn't read it twice.
Larry
Took me a while as I wasnt really in a Sf mood at the time but oh what fabulous writing-and what a great opening line!
Want more Bosh please!
(Mine is a paperback edition but with the same cover as shown here)
Vladislav
Vladislav marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Allen
Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Yonatan
Yonatan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2015
Lana-Rae
Lana-Rae marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Miloš Prchlík
Miloš Prchlík marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Moad Hanafi
Moad Hanafi marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Greg
Greg added it
Aug 30, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Cydney
Cydney added it
Aug 10, 2014
Glauco Bacchi
Glauco Bacchi marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bob Shaw was born in Northern Ireland. After working in structural engineering, industrial public relations, and journalism he became a full time science fiction writer in 1975.

Shaw was noted for his originality and wit. He was two-time recipient (in 1979 and 1980) of the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. His short story Light of Other Days was a Hugo Award nominee in 1967, as was his novel The Rag
More about Bob Shaw...
Orbitsville The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1) Other Days, Other Eyes Who Goes Here? (Warren Peace, #1) Night Walk