Start by marking “The House Between the Worlds” as Want to Read:
The House Between the Worlds

The House Between the Worlds

World Walker or 'Tweenman

Fenton was only a 'tweenman, without body or shadow; his body lay back in the laboratory where Dr. Garnock was experimenting with a new drug. Yet Fenton was in the fiary world of the Alfar, helplessly watching the Faerie Queen of the Alfar attacked and captured by the hideous, goblinlike ironfolk. And he was fading, irresitibly being drawn back to
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 12th 1981 by Del Rey (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The House Between the Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House Between the Worlds

Esther
Aug 05, 2009 Esther rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the paranormal
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy
What a thrilling ride! This is a real gem of paranormal fiction! As both a parapsychologist and a SCAdian, this was a treat to read - to see the fledgling view of both, the beginnings of a dream and a delightful fantasy blended together by an artist's hands is truly a wonderful thing, and the imagery and research put into this book were phenomenal. How wonderful it must have been to be a part of all these things, taking place at the epicenter of some of the most liberal ideas of the time!
Peter Cook
May 17, 2016 Peter Cook rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Peter by: my own curiosity
This is the only novel by MZB that I found tolerable.
mlady_rebecca
Copyright 1981. This has always been one of my favorite books, but it's illuminating to read it again with new eyes. Some of the messages there. Learned them at 10 as fiction. Learning them again at 45 as more than fiction.

(Possible spoilers in the quotes.)

The gnomes message in the rock world about all life being one.

"Others having forgotten that all life is one, and meaning harm to dance-world, tree-world, light-world. So making them, in pain, one with self-substance, showing them once that al
Kelanth
Feb 15, 2016 Kelanth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
La casa tra i mondi, in originale "The House Between the Worlds" è un romanzo fantasy del 1980 scritto da Marion Zimmer Bradley, famosissima in tutto il mondo per i noti cicli di "Avalon" a sfondo fantasy, e di "Darkover" a sfondo fantascienza e pubblicato per la prima volta in italia da Fanucci nel 1997.

La trama è presto scritta: sono i giorni radiosi degli studenti e della contestazione, e ci troviamo all'Università di Berkeley, negli anni settanta. Cameron Fenton è uno studente che fa pratica
Jerry
Sep 17, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is basically a swords and planet story updated to the seventies. The world is slightly different than ours. Besides the Berkeley name change the author mentions in the preface, cars run on alcohol, and Dungeons and Dragons is played on a board.

The researchers in The House Between the Worlds are the worst caricatures of the unscientific wishful parapsychologist. The ones who complain that you should only count the times they got it right, not believing statistics mean they will get a good ru
Pam Donato
Jul 16, 2012 Pam Donato rated it it was ok
This science fiction/fantasy story has an interesting concept about alternate worlds and how they affect each other. The main character is able to cross through to another universe through the use of a drug involved in a parapsychology study. He faces personal difficulties as he comes to believe in the therory of alternate worlds and attempts to convince those involved with the study. He also becomes emotionally involved in an ongoing conflict in one of the worlds. As all the worlds start to ...more
Sharon
Apr 22, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's work, so when I ran across this book in a bag of donations I was quite excited. A piece I'd never read before: hooray!

Well, it just wasn't as good as some of her earlier (and later) work, in my opinion. "The House Between The Worlds" is the story of Cameron Fenton, a PhD researcher at UC Berkeley's fictitious Parapsychology Department. While conducting a supervised trial of Antaril, a drug that enhances ESP, Fenton finds himself in the land of the Alfar -
Lauren
Nov 14, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
It was ok...the whole psychological fantasy/SF thing kind of drives me crazy. Mental powers and drugs and all that. Can't we just go to fairyland without taking illegal mind-altering substances? : ) At least it had a strong female character. But the political chitchat about marijuana being legal in CA and filling up cars with "alcohol" kept breaking my concentration. Instead of actual action, a lot of the plot was taken up by the main character's agonies, first over whether anything he ...more
Aimee
Oct 12, 2010 Aimee rated it it was ok
I am really enjoying this book! It's not, you know, Great Books or anything, but it's a fun ride.....

Well, after actually reading the whole thing, I agree with someone else here who said this was a long, drawn-out short story. I hate it when authors repeat themselves.... when the character continually "remembers" and reflects on things that happened earlier in the narrative. FILLER! Yawn....
Nienke
Jun 29, 2013 Nienke rated it liked it
A nice read from MZB. I don't like it as much as her other books, the personal journey most of her characters depart on was less apparent here. Though it becomes more and more clear to me that the theme of the 'scientific rational person' who learns about paranormal and magical realities and learns to open his or her mind is a recurring one in all of her books on many levels.

The character development in this book wasn't that strong, but it was still a nice holiday read
bardbooks
Feb 08, 2015 bardbooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-re-read
Bought and read this many, many years ago and can't find it amongst my books, which means I either loaned it and never got it back OR it's buried in a box in the attic. Either way, I need to procure another copy.
Genevieve's Human
Mar 20, 2013 Genevieve's Human rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another insipid Bradley male running around after promising women about whom we never learn much. She builds interesting worlds and good plots, and I like her writing. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to give up for a while until I determine which of her books have more appealing characters.
Zsuzsanna
Mar 17, 2013 Zsuzsanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
A university professor during an experience with some drugs supposed to enhance ESP finds himself in another world, where "elves" and "monsters" exist. But when he wakes, how could he know whether all was real, and he should indeed save every world from destruction?
Alethea Hammer
Dec 05, 2015 Alethea Hammer rated it really liked it

An experiment in parapsychology involving a new drug lands the test subject in an alternate reality. When he returns, his fellow researchers doubt the reality of his experience, but he is sure of it. A blend of mythology, psychology, philosophy and Dungeons & Dragons.
Dennis
May 03, 2008 Dennis rated it really liked it
A little slow in the beginning.

By the time I had only two chapters left I was totally into the book.

I wanted more when it ended.
Dianne
Feb 13, 2008 Dianne rated it really liked it
This is another book I have owned for a long time, I re-read it every few years. A good travel to different worlds theme.
Sarahanne
Mar 08, 2013 Sarahanne rated it it was amazing
My favorite MZB book. Before the Leaky Cauldron there was the house between the worlds. Really - great book. Great ideas. Love it.
Mia McInnis
Jul 21, 2011 Mia McInnis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of my favorite books by MZB, and cleverly written with very human characters and interesting connections.
Nikki
May 20, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Fantasy books. I bought it as a teenager back in the 80s and I've read it multiple times over the years. I just reread it in 2011 and still really enjoyed it.
Julia
Not one of MZB's better books. What starts out as a parapsychology experiment turns into a generic fantasy of fairyland being attacked by orc-like creatures.
Andi Houtsch
Dec 24, 2012 Andi Houtsch rated it it was amazing
While clearly written many years ago, this story stands the test of time and remains applicable and appealing today. I truly, truly enjoyed this read.
Miriam
May 12, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, scifi
This book is not a Darkover book. However, it makes a great read. As far as I know, there isn't another about these folks, but don't let that stop you.
Emily
Aug 08, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
I liked this book, but I didn't love it. The story takes a long time to wrap things up. Not really good for someone that does not like fantasy.
Nerocomelanotte
Nerocomelanotte rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Nimboo
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Kalibird
Kalibird rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Handcraft3
Handcraft3 rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Vic Richardson
Vic Richardson rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Rebekka Roe
Rebekka Roe rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • The Lotus Caves
  • This Time Forever
  • The Keeper of the Isis Light (Isis, #1)
  • Macno
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)
  • War Games
  • Ars Magica
  • Volkhavaar
  • Green River Rising
  • Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden (Elfhome, #1.5)
  • The Door Into Shadow (Tale of the Five, # 2)
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • Le torri di cenere
  • Gli ultimi incantesimi
  • Ilium: La rivolta (Ilium/Olympos, #2)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...