Start by marking “The Alton Gift (Darkover, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Alton Gift (Darkover, #27)

The Alton Gift (Children of Kings #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,170 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The long-awaited continuation to the popular science fiction saga is the story of Darkover's ruling class, the comyn, and their struggles to reclaim their realm from the devastating effects of the Terran Federation.
Published June 5th 2007 by DAW (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Alton Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alton Gift

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
310th out of 1,135 books — 1,059 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Red Hair
190th out of 212 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Janni
Sep 30, 2013 Janni added it
An enjoyable return to Darkover, with all the things that make it Darkover, including the ways in which always, in the end, Darkover and Terra need each other--even when the Terran Federation has departed the planet entirely.

What I was most struck by, though, was one particular story/thematic thread: (view spoiler)
Chuck
Another of the books Marion Zimmer Bradley plotted with Deborah J. Ross ere she died. I have to say that I really like the way Ross has kept Darkover "alive" and am getting over the fact that she doesn't write the way Bradley did.

She doesn't much write action scenes, which is OK because she doesn't do them nearly as well as Bradley did, and the exploration of human sexuality isn't present, which is OK because Bradley pretty well exhausted that theme.

What Ross does very well is plot political i
I love the series, and it hasn't really suffered with MZB's death but... why do none of the books cover the time between Landfall and the Ages of Chaos? I'd love to know how Nevarsin got settled, ditto the Dry Towns (who were the original inhabitants from the Landfall days?). Where did the mythology come from? Etc.. I know some of this exists in the collections, but they're not indexed in any timeline and I don't remember any really dealing with these topics.

Still, I'm eagerly awaiting the next.
Kate
This took a very different tone from the previous three Darkover books, probably something to do with the fact the co-author was different. Still, it was an enjoyable tale of thwarted love and laran powers. I do like the way that Deborah J Ross is taking this series and really hope that she continues the "modern" Darkover books in the same vein.
Chris
Cynthia
It took me a while to remember the details of the previous book which were important in this one. However, they became clearer as the book went on.

It was a good story although a bit repetitive (i.e., similar story lines to previous books: young man loves two women and needs to choose one; a disaster can only be solved by the combined efforts of the planet; lives are saved through the use of laran (the psychic powers)).

It was engaging. I stayed up to read the end. However, the problems I had we
Georgiana 1792
Continuazione di "Attacco a Darkover" (Traitor's Sun) nonché primo episodio della trilogia Children of Kings, ha come protagonista Dominick Alton-Hastur, conteso fra la cugina Alanna (che aveva problemi con il laran ed è stata ad Arilinn e sembra che la Custode l'abbia danneggiata permanentemente, altro che Callista Alton ne La Torre Proibita!) e Illona, la giovane girovaga con il Dono degli Alton, incontrata in "Attacco a Darkover", che ha studiato e nel frattempo è diventata vice-Custode di Ne ...more
Lindsay
The Alton Gift, one of the newest Darkover books, is the sequel to Traitor's Sun and written by Deborah Ross. It's about Domenic Alton-Hastur, the 20-year-old son of Marguerida and Mikhail, as he comes into his own as the heir to the Darkovan throne. Also featured is Lew Alton, Marguerida's father, as he comes to terms with certain events from the preceding book. All the while, the entire Darkovan population battles a breakout of Trailmen's Fever, a deadly disease they are once again susceptible ...more
Katie King
Norman Howe
Chronologically the latest of the Darkover novels. A fitting end to the series"," revisiting Terran - Darkovan cooperation and the ethical uses of Laran.
Lys
E' stato abbastanza difficile leggere questo libro.
The Alton Gift, sequel diretto di Traitor's Sun, si può dividere approsimativamente in quattro parti: di queste, la prima e la terza sono molto lente - troppo - mentre nella seconda e nell'ultima il ritmo è molto più veloce.
A rendere ancora più indigesta la prima parte è inoltre la decisamente diversa caratterizzazione di diversi personaggi "storici". Se già è difficile conciliare due visioni diverse sui protagonisti, figuratevi quando al quadro
Jimmy
Feb 13, 2015 Jimmy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jimmy by: I'm a Darkover fan
3 1/2 STARS I Liked It/ I Really Liked It
Racquel
Matthew
I honestly don't know what I expected when I checked this out from the library, but it turned out to be a fine sequel to the previous book in the series. It dealt with the consequences of the events of that book in an interesting way. I'm not going to say this was my favorite book ever, but it was, at the very least, a nice bit of comfort food, reminding me of the fun I've had with Darkover in past years.
Susan
Well, after the LOOOONGGGG wait, we finally have the sequel to Traitor's Sun. In the interim, MZB has died; so we know that this book was written by Deborah off the outline by Mari...

That being said, was I the only one who wanted to start smacking adolescents?
Amy N
I thought I remembered liking this world & these characters, but this addition betrayed my memories. It was one of those books that you wish the characters were physical, and here, just so you could slap them up-side the head for stupidity.
Becca
I can't help but keep reading these Darkover books. The timeline remains confusing. And its not the same without Marion Zimmer Bradley actually writing them (though her co-author does pick up the tone pretty well), I am still addicted.
Valerie
Much better than the other Ross/Bradley hybrids, although it really made me miss MZB. The Darkover books were some of my favorites when I was in High School. I have a funny story about how MZB helped me go to college, literally.
Macjest
This was a different collaborator for MZB and it shows. She used different names for some of the major characters. She didn't have the same flow as Martine-Barnes unfortunately. It took me longer to get through this book because of that.
Anita Fiorillo
Aug 08, 2010 Anita Fiorillo added it
Shelves: fantasy
The team writing that enables the continuation of the Darkover series is very strong. The Alton family has been one of the most interesting groups of characters int eh series as well.
Ross
This book was OK. I almost put it down 1/3 of the way through. In general the plot was predictable and a bit slow. The writing style improved a bit in the latter parts of the book.
Maddalena
Complimenti a Deborah J. Ross, decisamente un romanzo darkovano che, sebbene non sia all'altezza di quelli di Marion, è comunque interessante e ben scritto.
Katrina
Chees but satisfying space opera meets fantasy. A little undirected and not her best in the series but still a fun read!
Beth
Not bad but not as good as Exile's Song and the Shadow Matrix. Plot threads all ended neatly but nothing new added to the series.
François
Nice read. Everything I like about Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover Series is here. Just a little bit diluted.
Savannah
Old series taken over by new author with care to remain consistent to established work. Should be just fine with fans
Rosemary
I didn't like it as much as I hoped, but then it's my least favorite Darkover period.
Freyja
Hard to put down! Usual blend of SF and fantasy I expect from Darkover novels.
Kathleen
part of Darkover (fantasy/sci fi)series- great characters and story plot
Dianne
I loved this series years ago, it was good to see a new one
  • Ravens of Avalon (Avalon #6)
  • Sword and Sorceress 25
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Return to Avalon
  • Chanur's Homecoming (Chanur, #4)
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • Plague Ship (Solar Queen, #2)
  • War of the Maelstrom (Changewinds, #3)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
Marion Eleanor Zimmer Bradley was an American author of fantasy novels such as The Mists of Avalon and the Darkover series, often with a feminist outlook.

Bradley's first published novel-length work was Falcons of Narabedla, first published in the May 1957 issue of Other Worlds. When she was a child, Bradley stated that she enjoyed reading adventure fantasy authors such as Henry Kuttner, Edmond Ham
More about Marion Zimmer Bradley...

Children of Kings (2 books)
  • The Children of Kings (Darkover, #28)
The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) The Forest House (Avalon, #2) Priestess of Avalon (Avalon, #4) Lady of Avalon (Avalon, #3) The Firebrand