Start by marking “Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child” as Want to Read:
Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child

Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

You want only the best for your kids. And you want them to be successful. Sure, there's nothing wrong with that. But what if there was something more? Could your definition of success be leaving out the most important part?

What about greatness? Where does it fit in? "If you aim your children at anything less than greatness, you'll set them up to miss the whole point of the

Published (first published May 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Kids for True Greatness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Kids for True Greatness

Maria
May 14, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, favorites
While I found Kimmel's "Grace Based Parenting" to be a better book than this, I find "Raising Kids for True Greatness" to be another relevant and useful book for parents. Even more than that, I think the applications to every person committed to living their life for God or contemplating it could benefit from reading this book.

The sections on What if you don't have a great marriage? and Helping Our Kids Process Their Humanness were weak, but not to the point where it negates the message of the
Catherine Gillespie
As I read Tim Kimmel’s excellent book Connecting Church & Home, I was impressed with a section on character traits that lead to true greatness (humility, gratefulness, generosity, and willingness to serve others) so I checked out his book Raising Kids for True Greatness: Redefine Success for You and Your Child thinking it would go into even more detail.

It sort of did go into more detail, but I have to say that Kimmel’s summary in Connecting Church & Home was far better than the book vers
Albert Baltes
The biggest problem I had is that this book didn't match my expectations. I have two boys, both under the age of three, that I want to raise to achieve true greatness. I hoped that this book would give me practical advice on raising my boys, but it just didn't. Instead it wafted on about the results of children that have been raised properly. I also felt that Dr Kimmel constantly made a solid Christian statement, and then kind of backed out of it. The whole book felt like 'This is how a Christia ...more
Alison Brown
Kimmel makes a great point that wealth, power, and beauty aren't true greatness, and aren't what we should be (explicitly or implicitly) directing our kids towards. He emphasizes the preeminence of love for God demonstrated through love for others - in short, instilling a servant attitude. Loved the section on scarcity and abundance thinking.

The examples of Biblical parents just didn't ring true to me as proving what he was trying to demonstrate. And the book felt like he was *selling* parents t
Emily Powers
Jun 27, 2009 Emily Powers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parenting books I recommend? Well there's...ummmmm...hmmmmm....NONE. I haven't read one that I would feel comfortable recommending to you. Raising Kids for True Greatness aims a little higher. It tackles a deep question--one we would all benefit from wrestling with at the outset. "What is your goal when it comes to raising your children?" Kimmel asserts that as God-followers our goal is true greatness. "True greatness is a passionate love for God that demonstrates itself in an unquenchable love ...more
Christi
Jul 05, 2008 Christi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is only one parenting book everyone needs to read and this is it. I plan to reread this book once a month to remind me why I am really a parent in the first place. We can fill our kids' heads with all the knowledge the world has to offer and give them all the tools they need to be successful, but if we do not inspire them to greatness we labor in vain. This book teaches you how to raise "others-centered kids". I used to think Mother Teresa types were rare and created only by God. Now I kno ...more
Amber
May 27, 2011 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-me
This wasn't really what I was looking for. The focus was to shift your ideas of success from worldly things to Godly things. It gave many anecdotes and examples of why we should define success based on character and not achievement but no real practical advise on how to develop that in kids. My idea of success is already in line with this thinking so most of the points he made were moot. His only real advice was to lead by example. Overall it was not a terribly helpful read.
John
Jul 04, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimmel does a good job of orienting a parents mind toward raising kids with their compass set on what truly matters, honoring God. The lists at the end of each chapter with 10 practical ways to put the content of the chapter into practice were practical, though I can't imagine myself picking up the book again to refer to the lists. Grateful for authors who encourage kids to be raised with a focus on pleasing God with their lives.
Jen
Jul 21, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Kimmel has a relaxed manner of writing and simple parenting advice that keeps me wanting to read more of his stuff. I liked the bullet points throughout this resource, quick review of how to encourage greatness - or as Kimmel defines it, "grace that demonstrates itself in the attitudes of humility and gratefulness that ultimately lead to the actions of generosity and a sevant attitude."
Kayla
Apr 11, 2011 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I heard such great things about this book: how it would change your outlook and how new and different it was. It was a good read, but the idea was...exactely what the church teaches. So not that new and different. But still good: Teach your kids to serve others. Hooray!
Jason Carlettini
Book every person should read even if you do not have children or your children are grown. It is about who you are as a person and what in life you value not specific things you do as a parent.
Jenn
Jan 12, 2013 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was disappointed with this book. I was hoping for more practical advice. His writing style bothered me; I felt it was rather cliche. Didn't get a lot out of it.
Christy Hertz
Sep 16, 2007 Christy Hertz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents who take their job seriously, or want to.
my Sunday School class in Georgia read this summer, I read with them while in Virginia. Defines True greatness for you, then inspires you to "parent" intentionally.
Jeannette
Nov 18, 2014 Jeannette marked it as non-fiction  ·  review of another edition

This is a book to read, heard about it radio, raising children with right attitude, for what is eternal
Mindy
Mar 12, 2009 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Amazing book! Even if you don't have kids! Changed my perspective on being a true servant. Changed my life.
Kyna Saul
Feb 09, 2014 Kyna Saul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. I am planning on going back and making a prayer guide from it.
Brendan Powell
Okay book, nothing earth-shattering...good advice for setting the right example for our kids.
Mike
Aug 31, 2012 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reminder of how to define success for your children and yourself.
Julie Valentini
Julie Valentini rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Beth Starr
Beth Starr rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Michelle Seither
Michelle Seither rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Keenya
Keenya marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Debra Trujillo reyna
Debra Trujillo reyna marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Kaeli Cookie
Kaeli Cookie is currently reading it
Lillian Cole
Lillian Cole rated it it was amazing
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character …in You and Your Kids!
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Real Moms...Real Jesus: Meet the Friend Who Understands
  • Parenting with Scripture: A Topical Guide for Teachable Moments
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys

Dr. Tim Kimmel is one of America's top advocates speaking for the family. He is the Executive Director of Family Matters, whose goal is to build great relationships by educating, equipping and encouraging families for every age and stage of life. Tim conducts conferences across the country on the unique pressures that confront today's families. His conferences include: Home Improvement: Building a
More about Tim Kimmel...