Cadillac Jack

Cadillac Jack

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  969 ratings  ·  38 reviews
In Cadillac Jack, Larry McMurtry -- Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Lonesome Dove -- proves his unique talent for conjuring up the real, often eccentric people who inhabit the American heartland and for capturing the peculiarly American search for new frontiers and adventure.

Cadillac Jack is a rodeo-cowboy-turned-antique-scout whose nomadic, womanizing life -- centered on...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Cadillac Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cadillac Jack

Kemper
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 16: YUUUP!

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

When I was picking my next Rubbermaid Treasure to read, this one jumped out at me because Dan got me hooked on the A&E reality series Storage Wars. Fo...more
Esther
I was disappointed with this one. Usually McMurtry's characters are really likeable and engaging. The ones in this book were pretty flat and uninteresting and the story seems to go nowhere for a very long time.
Elizabeth
I can't help but feeling like this is a book that might have been great, but was really just fine. I was left with the same impression after reading McMurtry's recent memoir ("Books"), so it may well be that McMurtry is an author who is good, but not great. What's problematic in that assessment, is that his books (at least the two that I've read) veer toward greatness such that readers want/expect more. To be fair, McMurtry writes in the preface to this novel that he's never been entirely satisf...more
Denise
Mar 22, 2010 Denise rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one.
OMG what a boring book. Per the inside cover "richly comic, profoundly moving...Cadillac Jack : A Novel is one of Larry McMurtry's most memorable...novels". This is the second McMurtry novel I have tried to read,Lonesome Dove being the first. I made it about 5 pages into Lonesome Dove and quit. I probably should have done the same with Cadillac Jack : A Novel. This is the story of an antique scout. Jack wanders back and forth across the U.S. buying and selling antiques and having sex with multip...more
Ryan Curell
Almost a four-star rating. Jack is one of McMurtry's more memorable characters, an antiques scout in love with the perfect objects he collects, holds temporarily and sells across America. Jack is also ambivalent toward the beautiful though imperfect women he wishes to keep - though he temporarily holds and ultimately leaves them, too.

This is not really a book about anything so much as it's about a man who's confused by his profession choice and the depression that comes along with realizing ther...more
Adrianne Ambrose
Love Larry Mc Murtry in general and he writes really engaging and entertaining descriptions, but there's very little plot to this book. Enjoyable enough, but not crazy in love with it.

Mc Murtry seems to suffer from the disease that many modern male authors suffer from, all his female characters are pale carbon copies of Brett Ashley. It became mildly frustrating because every time he introduced a new female character and described her personality I thought, nope, there are no actual women like t...more
Jenne
I read this once before when I was pretty young--we'd gone on vacation and I ran out of books so I just moved on to what my mom was reading. I remember thinking it was SCANDALOUS! but now it seems fairly tame.

If you like the show "American Pickers" you'll recognize the title character--he drives all over the country seeking out rare and interesting objects to buy and sell--everything from 19th century lightbulbs to religious icons to Rudolph Valentino's hubcaps.

But the main objects in the book a...more
Antonio
The thing about McMurtry is that his adherence to a winning formula is palpable to the point where it distracts from the sheer pleasure of reading. The winning and affecting formula of "Terms of Endearment" is replicated here but with less effect. This novel lacks the poignancy, humor and emotional wallop of "Terms of Endearment" but attempts mightily to move the reader in the same fashion. Instead, the reader senses a bit of emotional manipulation is afoot -- those delightfully eccentric charac...more
Jessica
One of McMurtry's most consistently funny books, satirizing Washington-via-Texas society years before the current White House occupant made the scene. The main character, an antiques dealer who roams the country in a pearl-colored Cadillac, breaking hearts as he goes, remains something of a cipher, but the people he encounters, from antiques sales to society dinners, are hilariously drawn. One scene involving nouvelle cuisine and several lapdogs had me laughing out loud.
Lisbeth Solberg
Not sure when I first read this--sometime after reading Terms of Endearment and Lonesome Dove, and I even read it a second time, but really I have almost no specific memory of it: a lot of characters in and out of scenes; people from Texas; sexy, independent women whom the author seems to admire at the same time that he condescends; a rare-book dealer, no, oops, antiques. But somehow none of it stuck with me, even after reading it twice.
Thomas
Does his count as literature? All the hallmarks of McMurtry are present, travel, funny dialogue, obscure expertise, Texas. The tale romps along rather aimlessly as the main character careens through life. McMurtry hangs his thoughts and musings on this man, "Cadillac Jack" discussing life, love, desire and disapointment as he is wont to do. Capital entertainment, though the lightest of the McMurtry canon that I've read.
John
Good "road read". And the title is classic. Sounds so cool just to say it.
Paul Parsons
Published in 1982, this is another slice of Americana, following a buyer around the country as he picks up antiques for resale and women to fill the void that McMurtry writes about so well. The characters and story are neither remarkable nor memorable, and that, once again, is the point. Though funny at times, I wouldn't recommend this to someone already down in the dumps.
Twylapumroy Pumroy
It's funny. Its loving. It talks about the power of confidence among other things. Although the book COULD be interpreted as a little sexist that really doesn't matter in light of how funny and uplifting and sweet the whole thing turns out to be.
Spencer Hill
Read the first 50 pages last night--The characters are great; its got two of my favorite subjects(interesting women and sex); its bawdy-always a plus. I'll let you know how it goes-it should be a fun read.
Lynn Freeborn
Fun, particularly for me, a frustrated antiques and art hound who's always looking for that great find -- the kind Cadillac Jack comes across regularly.

p. s. I do find them on occasion, in my own small way.
Lisa Harvey
Great yarn about "Picker" traveling across USA. His choice of women not as skillful as he is of antiques. Passes through Poolesville, MD on the way to Washington, D.C., where Adam & Emily live.
Olga Mosh
Not much of a plot, but I enjoyed the characters enough to finish it. Also liked the ease of the writing style. Not the most brilliant work of literature, but I had fun reading it.
Aaron
I was a bit rambunctious at the time when I read this book, and it appealed to my own wandering tendencies. An entertaining read. Wanted to give it 3.5 stars but rounded up instead.
Chris
Cadillac Jack has got to be one of the most interesting characters I have ever read about. You must meet him. You'll never forget him.
Rory
Delicious in the smoothly-written details McMurtry is great at, but utterly unpalatable in its execution.
Anne
I just love reading this book. Picturing Jack's adventures makes me want to hop in my car and go.
Amy
I couldn't do it. Just couldn't do it. I got a quarter of the way through and I was SOOOO bored.
Therese Peloquin
I usually love Larry McMurty, but I couldn't get past chaptr one on tghis one...
Dale
Not my favorite McMurtry novel. I'm just not sure what he was trying to accomplish.
Dev
A thoroughly fun and funny novel about an antique buyer and the crazies he encounters.
Charles
Jack is just the bestest picker ever. I have a signed first edition.
Deb
confused man, trying to figure out what he really wants in life.
Not one his best! Got through it, but really don't recommend.
  • The Philosopher's Stone
  • A Barnstormer in Oz
  • The Moonflower
  • The Tokyo-Montana Express
  • The Annunciation (Voices of the South)
  • Women With Men
  • Cocksure
  • On Writing (Modern Library)
  • The Widow's Son (Historical Illuminatus Chronicles 2)
  • The Golden Cup
  • The Web and the Rock
  • The Last Convertible
  • Antic Hay
  • Pictor's Metamorphoses and Other Fantasies
  • Lady
  • The Glass Virgin
Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was adapted into the film "Hud".

McMurty went on to publish many more novels, a number of which went on to become movies as well as a TV mini-series.
More about Larry McMurtry...
Lonesome Dove Terms of Endearment The Last Picture Show Streets of Laredo Comanche Moon

“I make my share of mistakes, but one I never make is to underestimate the power of things. People imbued from childhood with the myth of the primacy of feeling seldom like to admit they really want things as much as they might want love, but my career has convinced me that plenty of them do. And some want things a lot worse than they want love.” 3 likes