Start by marking “The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #1)

The Alehouse Murders (Templar Knight Mystery #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  844 ratings  ·  66 reviews
After years of captivity in the Holy Land, Templar Bascot de Marins escapes with injuries to his body and soul. Now on sojourn at Lincoln Castle, he hopes to regain his strength, and mend his waning faith-but not even the peace of God's countryside is safe from the mortal crimes of man...

When four victims are found slain in the town alehouse, Bascot discovers that what ap
Published September 7th 2010 by Berkley Trade (first published September 4th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Alehouse Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alehouse Murders

Amy Saunders
So I'm doing some catch-up reading for the Mystery & Suspense Reading Challenge. I started the year off good and then immediately got behind. C'est la vie. My second read is The Alehouse Murders by Maureen Ash, part of the Templar Knight mystery series. As you may have already guessed, it's a medieval murder mystery set in Lincoln, England, in the year 1200. I chose it mostly for the setting. As you may know, I love medieval mysteries and I especially like anything from that particular time ...more
Jen
Bascot de Marins is a Templar Knight battling with his faith and the decision of whether to stay in the order or leave. While he is contemplating his future, he is sent to stay with the sheriff of Lincoln (England) and his wife. A string of murders occurs during his stay and he his charged with the task of discovering the murderer.

It was such a pleasure to be transported to the times of Knights, castles, feasts and tournaments in England. I think these kinds of settings are magical for me. And A
LJ
THE ALEHOUSE MURDERS (Mystery/Historical-Bascot de Marins-England-1200) – G+
Ash, Maureen – 1st in series
Berkeley Prime Crime, 2007, US Paperback – 9780425217658

First Sentence: Heat hung like a sodden blanket over Lincoln town and the surrounding countryside.

Templar Bascot de Marins is recovering from eight years captivity in the Holy Lands. He, along with his mute servant, Gianni, is recovering at Lincoln Castle and trying to decide about his future. Lady Nicolaa is castellan of Lincoln Castle a
Linda Finlayson
A good mystery and the author knows her historical setting well. I just wish I came away with a better sense of what the Knights Templar were all about. Fighting and serving God, I know, but I wanted some insight into how Bascot understood how those two things went together. I guess I'm unfairly comparing this book to Margaret Frazer's Sister Frevisse series, which were as much about why and how a woman became a medieval nun as well as solving mysteries. Having said all that, I'll likely try mor ...more
Elli
May 28, 2012 Elli rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone into good English medieval mysteries
Recommended to Elli by: Diane, Maude
This was a medieval mystery with the detective being a Templar knight returning from a difficult captivity in the Holy Land. He is accompanied by a youngster, an mute Italian orphan. He is to decide whether to return to the order or go on, on his own. He accepts hospitality at the home of a prominent castellian family in Lincoln. Almost immediately four murders occur, then some more as the story progresses. It's a good story, well written and interestingly presented. It is also based on facts of ...more
Dolly
This is the first book in the Templar Knight Mystery series by Maureen Ash. It is a fascinating story and reminds me of the Justin de Quincy series by Sharon Kay Penman.

The description of the times in medieval England is interesting and the story is filled with deceit and intrigue. It's a quick read and a decent bit of brain candy, perfect for a summer trip. I really enjoyed this story and will certainly look for more of the books in this series at my local library.

interesting quotes:

"Even thou
Text Addict
This used-bookstore purchase has introduced me to a new series to follow! Set in early 13th-century Lincoln, England, the book features a convalescing Templar Knight investigating the murders of four people in an alehouse - a crime that even without modern forensic techniques appears increasingly bizarre, given identities of the victims and the "obvious" suspect.

Sir Bascot, Lady Nicolaa, and various other figures (historical and fictional) make strong and believable characters. The setting of m
Eileen
This is a very nice little medieval murder mistery. On the eve of the Lincoln Fair four bodies are found in an alehouse, including the alehouse owner. Save a young couple, they have no seeming relationship to one another. Lady Nicolaa de la Haye is the castellan of Lincoln Castle, in her own right. She and her husband, Gerarad Camville who is sheriff, are expecting a visit from King John. It would be highly inconvient for them to have four unsolved murders hanging around so she enlists the help ...more
bookczuk
I've had this on my BookCrossing shelf for a little bit. I picked it up at a local book sale thinking I might like is, hoping it would lead to a series of books like Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael or Kate Sedley's Roger the Chapman. (I'm especially bereft because there will be no more of Ariana Franklin's Mistress of the Art of Death series.) I found a decent enough mystery, but not one that grabbed me with the characters. Maybe it's the cold I'm battling, but about 3/4 the way through, I just fo ...more
henrys-axe
Well done introductory novel to the Templar Knight series, featuring on-leave Templar Bascot de Marins as he struggles with his inner-self regarding his future. During his period of discernment he is asked to look into the death of four individuals on the eve of an annual fair in the city of Lincoln. A good, solid story and the assorted treats associated with historical novels dealing with the medieval era.
Kevin
This was a very interesting medieval murder mystery. It’s set about fifty years after the Brother Cadfael series in the time of King John. The series shares much with Peter’s Brother Cadfael series, both feature monks who spent part of their lives fighting the Crusades. Cadfael becomes a monk after his time in the Holy Land, Bascot de Marins the detective in this series served as a Templar Knight in the crusades and was at Acre with king Richard, and has a crisis of faith upon his return to Engl ...more
Dawn
After returning from the Holy Land and eight years of captivity with his faith shaken, Knight Templar Bascot de Marins is recovering in Lincoln, England. The Templars have found a place for him in the household of Nicolaa de la Haye, the Sheriff’s wife. In the summer of 1200 AD, on the eve of the fair, several murders are committed in the town and Nicolaa asks Bascot to find out the truth.

I enjoyed the mystery, even though I thought the culprit’s reasoning’s a little far-fetched. Bascot is turni
Mike
I love a good historical novel but this book felt more like a text book and more about the nitty gritty of daily lives than a novel. When I compare this to any of the novels by C_J_Sansom, it pales in comparison!
Moni
I really enjoyed this book. Maureen Ash tells a compelling story set in an historical time. So often historical fiction authors worry too much about the historical setting instead of telling the story. Not so with this book. There is just enough history to wet the appetite without getting in the way. [return]The characters are enjoyable and better yet believable. Bascot, the Templar knight, is a noble character, yet has some of the same flaws as all of us. I enjoyed his evolution throughout the ...more
Martina
About to re-read for Historical Mystery Group meeting this month..

Re-read the book for tomorrow night's meeting. I really enjoyed it, both times around. Ash gives you an in-depth historical setting not just a broad brush picture. I learned things about Templar life in this book that I do not remember from previous books I've read. The use of two known historic figures from 1200 Lincoln, England was also a plus. I thought the majority of the characters were well drawn, both high and low. I certai
Euraylie
It's a decent start to the series, but still has some bumps to iron out. The murder mystery was good, the protagonist potentially interesting, but there were some problems with the set up.
Instead of our Templar investigator questioning some the witnesses/suspects, we got chapters from their POV which were just exposition dumps. The dialogues in those instances seemed more for the benefit for the reader than organic conversations between people who know each other.
Also, I think going forward the
Scot
First in a new historical mystery series. It is 1200 A.D. in Lincolnshire, England, and our detective hero is a pensive one-eyed Templar knight returned from the Crusades. This book is strong in social history description that has been well researched, and abundant use of descriptive details helps the reader easily envision the settings and plot developments. Also will probably help expand vocabulary a bit, as archaic or arcane terms appropriate to the period are deftly interwoven not in a way t ...more
Cece
The Templars are the "accidental detective de jour" and several series feature a member of the Order. This particular Templar is recovering from wounds physical and psychological suffered as a p-o-w and slave after the fall of the city of Acre. He has been sent to the city of Lincoln into the household of Nicolaa de la Haye, the castellan of Lincoln castle. It is at her request he begins to investigate the murders.
Well-plotted and the inner circle of characters developed skillfully within the f
Anang
4 stars for accurate depiction of the historical setting & argot. Otherwise boilerplate mystery
Lawrence
I read this book because I like Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books so much and was hoping for another medieval-themed mystery series. I liked this book OK, but not as much as the Brother Cadfael series. Perhaps, I should try the next in the series? What does everyone think?

One thing: The Brother Cadfael books have maps. This one did not although there was a fair amount of "locational writing" --- as in "to the east" and "to the west" and the "ABC Highroad" and the "River XYZ". I think that maps
Michael Mallory
The first of Maureen Ash's "Templar Knight" series is a bit slow, but the evocation of the period is fine, and the characters are well drawn. History buffs will probably enjoy this more than the casual reader since the author takes pains to provide background information about the potentially lethal political jockeying that was going on during the reign of King John, and also includes a wealth of day-to-day period detail. Overall, a worthwhile effort, if a tad ponderous.
Sandra Strange
This mystery, set during the times of Robin Hood and King John, draws on actual historical figures and history of the Lincoln area of England to weave a mystery that educates on Medieval English politics, culture, sociology and daily life as it beguiles the reader with its puzzle and its solution by a unique "detective," a former Templar. The frank treatment of prostitution and other facts of life of the day makes the mystery suitable mainly for adults, not kids, however.
H Lynnea
This was an interesting historical mystery, and did keep my guessing for quite a while as to the identity of the murderer. However, by setting the events during a fair, we are introduced to a rather large cast of characters, and I occasionally had difficulty remembering who was whom. Still, once I became more used to the writing style and some of the language (the setting is the year 1200, and the names of items and places reflects this), I found this to be a good read.
Kris
The book started slow and the language was a bit on the pompous side but it didn't take long before I was no longer noticing most of the older words. The author did a fine job of creating the world of the early 1200s and in breathing life into the characters. The mystery was a bit twisty but not enough to strain credibility. The killer isn't really shocking to a modern reader and the mystery does last til nearly the end of the book.
Daniele
The last 50 pages or so of this book were interesting and enjoyable. Otherwise, I'm a bit on the fence about this book. I enjoy historical mysteries and learning while I read, but this felt a bit too much like a history lesson at times, a bit tedious. I found myself wanting to skim over parts only to find that I missed something for my efforts. I don't know if I will continue with the series or not.
Katie
I would actually give this 2.5 stars if I could. The setting and historical information were very good and the things that kept me reading. The plot was slow. There were so many characters who were only briefly introduced. This made it difficult to keep them all straight. The mystery just wasn't very interesting. While I was surprised by the perpetrator, by the end I just didn't really care anymore.
Lori
A nice quick and enjoyable read. I enjoyed the historical setting (1200 Lincoln, England) and found the characters likable. The mystery was not earth shattering, but made for a nice diversion. Not the best of the medieval mysteries I have read, but not the worst either. I will not be adverse to reading more of The Templar Knight Mysteries, but I will work them in between my "Must Reads."
Jerri
I enjoyed the authentic setting. The character of Bascot de Marins was interesting and had depth. The mystery unfolded in an entertaining way with enough characters to keep you guessing but not so many that you lost track of who's who.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an interest in medieval history.
Patricia
I would rate this somewhere between a 2 and a 3. I started out with high hopes. Strangely, I enjoyed the author's descriptions of the scenery and of bygone events more than the actual story line. Normally, it is just the reverse. I liked the character of Bascot although I found him a bit depressing. I am not sure whether I will read farther in the series.
Becky
World-weary ex-knight is grudgingly drawn into a multi-murder investigation. Layer after layer of motive and secrets are slowly revealed, with several dead ends and twists. I liked the characterizations, especially the knight and his lady sponsor, but I hoped for a little more reason to "engage". Probably a 3.5 to 3.8, if the scale allowed.
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the chapman, #1)
  • The Sanctuary Seeker (Crowner John Mystery #1)
  • The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1)
  • Hangman Blind (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #1)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • Wine of Violence (Medieval Mystery, #1)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Novice's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #1)
  • The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday, #1)
  • Death Comes As Epiphany (Catherine LeVendeur, #1)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Thirteenth Night (Fools' Guild, #1)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
820242
Maureen Ash was born in London, England, and has had a lifelong interest in British medieval history. Visits to castle ruins and old churches have provided the inspiration for her novels. She enjoys Celtic music, browsing in bookstores and Belgian chocolate. Maureen now lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada.
More about Maureen Ash...

Templar Knight Mystery (7 books)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
  • Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5)
  • A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)
  • The Canterbury Murders (Templar Knight Mystery, #7)
Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2) A Plague of Poison (Templar Knight Mystery #3) Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4) Shroud of Dishonour (Templar Knight Mystery #5) A Deadly Penance (Templar Night Mystery #6)

“It may surprise you to find that the older one gets the more we appreciate the wisdom of those we did not think possessed it. (Bascot)” 2 likes