Start by marking “Lectures at the College de France, 1981-82: The Hermeneutics of the Subject” as Want to Read:
Lectures at the College de France, 1981-82: The Hermeneutics of the Subject

Lectures at the College de France, 1981-82: The Hermeneutics of the Subject (Lectures at the Collège de France)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  16 reviews

The Hermeneutics of the Subject is the third volume in the collection of Michel Foucault's lectures at the Collège de France, one of the world's most prestigious institutions. Faculty at the Collège give public lectures, in which they present works-in-progress on any subject of their choosing. Foucault's wide-ranging lectures influenced his groundbreaking works like The Hi
Published April 2nd 2005 by St. Martins Press (first published September 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Lectures at the College de France, 1981-82, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lectures at the College de France, 1981-82

Juan Bosco
Mi lectura de este libro fue un viaje largo y cautivador. Interrumpí muchas veces la lectura de La hermenéutica del sujeto no porque perdiera el interés, pues fue un texto que me disfruté de principio a fin, sino por la estructura que tiene. Originalmente, el contenido de este libro fue un curso dictado por Foucault en el College de France, en el que las sesiones consistían en una clase dividida en dos parte de una hora cada una, de manera que constantemente pensaba "he teminado una clase, puedo ...more
Ralowe Ampu
a satisfying exposition rendering legible what is meant in the west by this term for a sentient autonomous entity endowed with agency. towards the second half of the transcription foucault focuses on a varied array of practices from the first two centuries in rome and greece that work to make the subject coherent vis-a-vis the external world. i came away with the understanding that the apparent coherence of the subject is nothing more than a continually negotiated contingency. it'll be interesti ...more
Sam Grace
Dec 13, 2010 Sam Grace marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: Pete
Thusfar I have only read "13 January 1982: First hour" on the topic of technologies of the self, but it was pretty rad.
Conor Heaney
Having read and heard much about Foucault's so-called 'return to the subject' or 'ethical turn' (or, for some, even a neoliberal, narcissistic turn) in the 1980s, I had mixed expectations approaching this lecture course. Thankfully, none of those criticisms held weight. Instead of a 'turn' of any sort, this lecture course represents a crystallisation and intensification of the Foucault of the 1970s - the genealogical Foucault - and the Foucault (whom I know less) of the 1960s - the archaeologica ...more
Ellioth Mess
Tuve que familiarizarme con otros conceptos antes de entrarle a este libro como se debe. La primera vez que traté de leerlo claramente no estaba listo. Tuvieron que pasar unos tres años y mucha agua conceptual, literaria y vivencial bajo el puente para disfrutarlo como se debe.

Un análisis impecable de la evolución de la "verdad", el autoconocimiento, la ética y su concepción en las sociedades grecorromanas y cristianas. La entrevista del final no debe, por ningún motivo, ser pesada por alto.
Dana
Just a few words: this is one of the best books I've read in the last time, remarkable both as style and content. I've never been a huge fan of morals, and thought it was superfluous. But Foucault poses the questions in such a way, that I started to see Ethics somehow else. It is, personally for me, a kind of turning point and I will certainly read more on the subject.
m. soria
i was never a huge fan of foucault's thinking, but this collection of lectures proves the man was a genius so far as i'm concerned. will require some background reading for those not already familiar with his trajectory, but thoroughly worth the homework.
Claire
I found this book exceptionally inaccessible as someone who's unfamiliar with Foucault's thought and writing. If you're already acquainted with Foucault, this book may be more accessible and comprehensible than for me.
mahatma
belum semuanya kebaca, tapi kumpulan essay [sebenernya kumpulan bahan kuliah sih..] ini menolong banget untuk memahami buku-buku dia, khususnya archaeology of knowledge, discipline and punish.
Daniel Cardoso
Didn't actually finished it from cover to cover, but it's a basis for my Masters' thesis, so... it's excellent!
Alfresco
Foucault at his best tracing the genealogy of truth and discourse.
Wilson Pasachoa
Una interesante aproximación hacia el auto-conocimiento.
I-kai
quite interesting in conjunction with History of Sexuality.
Daniel
Jan 01, 2009 Daniel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
too bad I haven't read any plato/socrates yet.
Hevel Cava
Lucid, hectic, insightful, inspiring...!
Marcela
Jul 07, 2009 Marcela marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Seguimos con Foucault? recien llegado de Arg. sobre la mesa de trabajo, tengo ademas "La Hermenutica del sujeto"...aqui, el frances al comparar el modo de subjetivacion antigua, marcar la precariedad del modo de subjetivacion moderna... Y si las luchas del Hoy ya no fueran tan solo luchas contra las dominaciones politicas, ya no tan solo luchas contra la explotacion economica, sino luchas contra la sujeccion identitaria?
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Adam Benden
Adam Benden marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Keunwoo Kwon
Keunwoo Kwon marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
C. Derick Varn
C. Derick Varn marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Christoffer Lundkvist
Christoffer Lundkvist marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • The Purloined Poe: Lacan, Derrida, and Psychoanalytic Reading
  • The Weakness of God: A Theology of the Event
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Organs Without Bodies: Deleuze and Consequences
  • Hegel
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Gilles Deleuze
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • How (Not) to Be Secular: Reading Charles Taylor
  • J. S. Mill: 'On Liberty' and Other Writings
  • Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis: The Four Fundamental Concepts of Psychoanalysis (Seminar of Jacques Lacan)
  • Exploring Happiness: From Aristotle to Brain Science
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
More about Michel Foucault...
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison The History of Sexuality 1: An Introduction Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason The Order of Things: An Archaeology of the Human Sciences The Archaeology of Knowledge & The Discourse on Language