Start by marking “M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints” as Want to Read:
M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints

M.C. Escher: 29 Master Prints

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  948 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In the extraordinary world of M.C. Escher, time, space, and visual reality have been rearranged according to an ingenious logicsimultaneity of perspective is commonplace, space appears to be infinite, and positive and negative are interchangeable.

At first, Escher's work appealed to a rarefied group of mathematicians, who delighted in his logic and precision, and collectors
Published January 1st 2010 by Barnes & Noble (by arrangement with ABRAMS) (first published April 15th 1983)

Paul
Feb 17, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, art-of
29 Twenty-nine woodcuts and lithographs make use of optical illusions and unusual perspectives and are accompanied by the artist's comments.

Nearly everyone will have seen some of the work of Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher (1898-1970). His woodcuts and lithographs are largely based in mathematics and geometry, and provide endless fascination. Many of the two dimensional images Escher created simply could not exist in the three dimenional world, yet on paper they LOOK entirely plausi
Matt Jenkins
Sep 17, 2012 Matt Jenkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book graces our bookshelf right beside Godel, Escher and Bach. One of my favorite books. We have two Escher pieces on the walls of the living room and when we have guests stand to admire them, I open up this book to their pages and let them take in the author's own description of them. Priceless.

Joshua
Jun 25, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
A great collection of Escher's work, nicely complemented by notes from Escher and others. It is a wonderful presentation of the art and the ideas behind it, examining questions about how people perceive spaces, flatness, dimensions, and art in general, all with a hint toward some of the mathematical concepts behind it all. The later notes with the later pictures in the book also discuss how Escher's work also became popular with American pop music and the psychedelic art movement in the 60s.
Jeremiah Carlson
Feb 25, 2015 Jeremiah Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, art
Review coming soon.
Petar X
May 05, 2015 Petar X rated it it was amazing
This is the second copy of this book I've bought, I gave the first one away to a friend who couldn't believe the trickery of Escher's sly imagination. I like Escher for the same reason I like Hieronymus Bosch: by the time you've worked out what's going on, your mood has lifted from any previous doom and gloom. Escher was sane and clever and Hieronymous Bosch a fevered, religious maniac and they share nothing in common, except in my mind.
Jeremiah
I absolutely love Escher's work; I think he was a veritable genius! My brothers surprised me last year when they brought me to a local Sacramento museum that had real work by Escher. I was floored! This book just has prints with no explanatory text, so it's not the perfect book if you like this artist's work but it's a start.
I'd give this five stars because of my bias but there are better books.
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 Jean Tessier added it
Shelves: leisure
I found this book while browsing at my local Barnes & Nobles. It has some of Escher's most famous pieces, including "Waterfall" and "Drawing Hands". Each one is set by itself on a whole page and the facing page has Escher's own description of the piece.
Kurt Leigh
Sep 01, 2011 Kurt Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visually appealing and I share the apprecication for his work. Whenever I am lacking inpiration, I find this a good place to be.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of his prints. Comments about them by artist too. Would be the Escher book to own.
Erika
Nov 30, 2007 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I am a fan of Escher, although I look at his prints as more graphic art than fine art.
Ben
Jun 16, 2012 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful imagery and notes on Escher's work.
Donna
Apr 21, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can look at his pieces for hours!
Ann King
Ann King rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Žižekian
Žižekian marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Aja Hiracheta-grant
Aja Hiracheta-grant rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Marie Duplechien
Marie Duplechien rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Khader
Khader rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Giannokapa
Giannokapa rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
E Fuller
E Fuller rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Asmaa ElZaki
Asmaa ElZaki rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Jeff Sideswhite
Jeff Sideswhite marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Karen Mortimer
Karen Mortimer rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2016
Mustafa Mutlak
Mustafa Mutlak marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jesus Martinez
Jesus Martinez marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Joe Sidharta
Joe Sidharta marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Shelby Smith
Shelby Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016