The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Stories

The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Stories

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Cryptic and potent languages, bizarre cults, mysteries that span the gulf between life and death, occult influences that reverberate through history like a dying echo, irresistible cosmic decay, forces of nightmare that distort reality itself, gateways to worlds where esoteric knowledge rots the future.

Here, from Mark Samuels, the author of Glyphotech and Other Macabre Pro...more
Hardcover, Limited Edition, 127 pages
Published May 2010 by Ex Occidente Press

Grant Wamack
The Man who Collected Machen and Other Tales is the latest short story collection by Mark Samuels. Samuels is a cosmic horror writer who has been making a name for himself in the weird fiction scene and quickly becoming an underground legend.

I decided to point out the standout stories, even though all of them are good in their own right.

“The Mould” is darkly disturbing vision of the future overrun by a conscious mould that consumes planets and makes its way across galaxies. It sort of remind...more
Orrin Grey
After reading "The White Hands" in The Weird, I finally tracked down a collection by Mark Samuels, who I'd been meaning to check out for some time. I loved it. While the collection itself was maybe occasionally uneven (hence the four stars rather than five), I've rarely read other books that so accurately nailed what I'm looking for in weird fiction. My favorite piece in this volume was without a doubt "Xapalpa," but it was full of great ones, and pretty much every story had at least some elemen...more
Steve
"As he struggled to recall which of the textbooks contained the reference, Barron caught sight of something the size of a large cat moving amidst the undergrowth of weeds between the two tombs. The thing was curiously shapeless, and a mottled grey colour. Perhaps it was just Barron's fever playing tricks, but he could have sworn the thing had been crawling with more than four limbs." --"Xapalpa."

I've been wanting to read more of this guy for some time now. For some reason his White Hands collec...more
Simon
Another fine collection from who is one of the leading lights of modern weird fiction.

Mark's style really works for me. His prose is clear and concise yet evocative. He writes very consciously of the genre and has a healthy respect for the greats authors that helped shape it. Having some experience of the classic authors yourself, while not essential, will help get the most out of some of these stories here.

Some of the stories centre around writers, such as "Losenef Express" that features a weir...more
Grady
The New King of Bizarre Fantasy

Mark Samuels is described in the dictionary as 'a London-based writer of horror and fantastic fiction in the tradition of Arthur Machen and H. P. Lovecraft. Born in 1967 in Clapham, South London, he was first published in 1988, and his short stories often focus on detailing a shadowy modern London in which the protagonists gradually discover a dark and terrifying reality behind the mundane urban world.' Unless the reader is familiar with horror and fantastic ficti...more
Kristine Muslim
I have never read anything like this. This is superb! The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales seethes with mysticism. Mark Samuels reminds me of Algernon Blackwood and not Arthur Machen. This has all of Blackwood's handiwork, most especially that fine touch of "implied" horror.

The story, "Glickman the Bibliophile," kept me on edge the whole way through and brought to mind a completely unrelated "The Clerks of Domesday," another excellent story by another writer. I think the true meas...more
Haralambi Markov
I had no prior knowledge of Mark Samuels or his work. Picking his collection, The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales, was the result of Samuels’ comparison to Howard P. Lovecraft, as promoted in his bio, and a very bizarre title. I admit to being frivolous in how I choose my reading materials, but so far, I have yet to see my intuition mislead me.

Mark Samuels proved to be the perfect introduction to the sort of weird horror I have been in search of these last few months. At the same...more
Ronald
8. Nor Unto Death Utterly by Edmund Bertrand
9. A Contaminated Text
10. The Age of Decayed Futurity
11. The Tower

Just like his other short story collection _The White Hands and Other Weird Tales_, the stories in this book are briskly paced and written in excellent prose.

I think contagion is a metaphor in some of these stories. For example, in...more
John Hepple
An excellent, but short, collection of stories by cosmic horror writer; Mark Samuels. I have been interested in reading his works for quite some time and when finally getting down to it was not disappointed. I especially enjoyed his literature based stories, in particular THYXXOLQU.
Robert
When I saw the title of this book, I had to try it. I like Machen, and the author had me hooked from the first story. The stories are short but pack a punch. Samuels name is on my list of authors worth following. Tales of dark horror that give you chills, and make you think.
David Marshall
This is a totally absorbing book of weird and horror stories told with great intelligence.

David
Losenef Express - An American writer commits an impulse murder in a small town in eastern Europe. The character resembles Karl Edward Wagner.
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Hans
Hans marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Nola Jaymes
Nola Jaymes marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Chad Miller
Chad Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Mark Richfield
Mark Richfield marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Caulen
Caulen is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The White Hands and Other Weird Tales Glyphotech (Showcase Series 4) The Face of Twilight Black Altars Glyphotech And Other Macabre Processes