Start by marking “Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)” as Want to Read:
Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)

Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina #1)

"This charming trio of chapters implicitly testifies to the adage that opposites attract." — PUBLISHERS WEEKLY

Catina wants to be a famous writer. Houndsley is an excellent cook. Catina thinks Houndsley is a wonder. Houndsley thinks Catina is a very good friend. So what should Houndsley say about Catina’s seventy-four-chapter memoir? And can Catina find the right words of c
Published April 24th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published March 14th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Houndsley and Catina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Houndsley and Catina

Nov 06, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new readers ages 6-8
Shelves: lis-565
Houndsley and Catina is an early reader chapter book. The story is broken down into three chapters with colorful pictures and simple text that introduces new readers to chapter books. Houndsley and Catina are best friends, Catina is writing a books but it isn't very good because she doesn't really like to write. Houndsley is a wonderful cook but when he enters a cooking contest he gets nervous and doesn't have any fun. The friend realize they should do something because they enjoy and love it no ...more
Cute enough little story about friendship and doing things because you enjoy it, not to earn prizes or recognition. A bit heavy on the message for my taste. Love their names! Cute illustrations.
Oct 24, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On the Houndsley and Catina book jacket, author James Howe writes that his interest in creating this series stemmed in part from his daughter's fondness for the Frog and Toad books when she was young. I can certainly see a number of similarities between Houndsley and Catina and their famed amphibious counterparts, and I'm very happy that it was James Howe, one of the best authors I've ever read, who chose to take on this project. I'm completely confident that he can create a fantastic series of ...more
CIP: "Houndsley and Catina run into trouble when they decide to prove that they are the best at cooking and writing, respectively."

Maggie: Best friends Houndsley and Catina each yearn for a talent that will set them apart from others, only to find that it makes their normally fun activities feel like more work than they are worth. A sweet and humorous story for beginning readers accompanied by Marie-Louise Gay's delightful illustration, this book is sure to be a hit with children in 1st and 2nd
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Howe, James. (2006). Houndsley and Catina. Cambridge, Mass.: Candlewick Press.

Annotation: For children in kindergarten to second grade. Marie-Louise Gay who uses pencil and bright watercolors to bring this story to life illustrates this book. The book is a collection of three stories, similar in style and format in Arnold Lobel’s Frog and Toad Series. Houndsley, the dog, and Catina, the cat, help each other as the struggle to become famous. Catina wants to be a writer, but does not like to write
I would categorize this as a later stage easy reader chapter book. It is divided into three chapters. The first is about Catina, who has written a 74 chapter book but her friend Houndsley is afraid to tell her that it is no good, so he just tells her that it left him speechless. The second chapter is about how amazing Houndsley is at cooking, so his friends Catina and Bert encourage him to enter a cooking contest, but everything goes wrong. Houndsley is very soft spoken, while Catina is the loud ...more
Jan 21, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is an interesting story about two friends and the challenges they face with their hobbies. The first two chapters don't have too much to do with one another, but the two separate stories come together in the third and final chapter.

The story has a metaphysical theme and encourages children to find something they really enjoy and are passionate about. It offers practical advice that would benefit anyone: "First, I will find something I like to do. Then I will do it and do it and do it until
Dec 25, 2015 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another Houndsely and Catina book. I love Houndsley's quiet ways that compliment Catina's enthusiastic ways just perfectly!

A wonderful bedtime book or anytime book really! The pictures are cute, kind of remind me of the old Suzy Zoo characters.

This book is broke down in three chapters, the first chapter focuses on Catina and her writing and the second on Houndsley and his cooking and the third focuses on doing something and enjoying it and if you don't enjoy it there isn't much point in doing i
Marcy Morgan
Houndsley and Catina
Written by James Howe
Illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay
2006 Candlewick Press
ISBN: 9781428733916
Genre: Easy Reader
Level: 1-3

Houndsley and Catina are good friends, but when Catina wants to become a famous writer, Houndsley does not know how respond. Catina may not be good at writing, but Houndsley is good at cooking and decides to enter a cooking contest. He gets so nervous about trying to be the best. Houndsley and Catina discover that being famous or being the best is not what i
A cute book by the author of Bunnicula, about two friends and their talents. Both want to be famous for their work (writing and cooking) but are a little misguided as to why. In the end, both discover that doing things they like just because they like them is okay. The adorable pictures are very expressive; you can see Catina's bubbly enthusiasm and Houndsley's caution in every illustration.

A good book about friendship and being satisfied, divided into three "chapters" which can be read together
Nov 11, 2007 Meagan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for a read-aloud book
Houndsley and Catina, a dog and a cat, are best friends. Soft-spoken Houndsley loves to cook for his friends, but when he enters a cooking contest he gets nervous and his chili doesn't turn out well. Catina wants to be a famous writer, but her book isn't very good and she doesn't much like writing. In the end, Houndsley and Catina find out that doing what you love is its own reward, and that friends are better than fame any day. This chapter book is short enough to read aloud, and the illustrati ...more
This book tells the story of Houndsley and Catina in three chapters. Catina wants to be a famous writer, but Houndsley doesn't want to tell her she's not very good. He also loves cooking and gets the chance to enter a competition where things don't go quite as he expected. The 2 characters discover the one thing they are really good at is being friends. A really cute book and a great way to get younger readers into chapter books.
At first I didn't think any of the stories were going to be resolved but they were in the end. I think that this was a cute book, but I think that it could have been a little bit better written. I have a hard time judging books as you can see. I do think that this would be a good book for students who want to read a chapter book but are just beginning their reading of longer stories.
Jan 27, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to rate this - as I was reading the first two chapters, I wasn't really liking it, even though I thought the illustrations were cute. I liked the last chapter and that changed my feelings about the rest of the book. I guess time will tell if this becomes one of those books I want to revisit and read to my youngest or if it's one of those "once is enough" kind of books.
Oct 03, 2008 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fine book about a cat and dog who are friends. I read it because it is nominated for a 2009 Beehive award. It is a level 2 or 3 book, and as such is hard to compare to Candy Shop Wars and a couple others that are in the same nomination category. As a side note, my 5 year old said this book was, "weird."
Houndsley (a dog) and Catina (a cat) are unlikely friends. Catina likes the spotlight while Houndsley is a bit shy, but that just enhances their friendship. This was an okay story to read to the elementary students, it had a good message about friends and finding your own personal talents. The students voted as follows; really liked=91, just okay=21, didn't like=29.
Mar 16, 2010 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: staff-pick
Catina is writing a 74-chapter novel entitled Life Through the Eyes of a Cat. Houndsley enters a high-stakes cooking contest. When things don’t go as planned, they realize they each have a more important talent: being a great friend. The soft, plump watercolor shapes make the two even more loveable.
I am pretty sure that I have read this book before but I just do not remember when that was. It is a sweet book about friends. It reminds me of a slightly more modern version of George and Martha. I like how human these characters are and enjoy just how sweet their stories end up being. Grades 1+
Amy Carr
Aug 16, 2008 Amy Carr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I am absolutely in love with Houndsley the gentle dog and his sweet best friend Catina. These books are gentle, sweet, funny, and filled with fun lessons about friendship. Great books for either boys or girls, young or old. I am loving every one of them!
Mar 22, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about friendship. After reading it my daughter started writing a book about our friendship!! It reminded me some of Frog and Toad. A simple story of friendship that makes me cheesy about my good friends. I've put the rest in this series on hold.
An early chapter book about finding your passion and talents. Very well written and I've always enjoyed Marie-Loiuse Gay's illustrations in her own books and now here. We will have to read more of this series.
Very good easy reader selection. James Howe (author of Bunnicula, The Celery Stalks at Midnight, etc) does a wonderful job depicting the special and natural friendship shared by Houndsley and Catina.
Lisa Vegan
This is a lovely story about a friendship between a dog and a cat. It’s for early readers and is a chapter book (with 3 chapters.) It has some nice things to say about friendship, honesty, tact, ambition, following your heart’s desires, and simple pleasures.
Feb 08, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The first in the series, but more disjointed than "Quiet Time". Still, cute characters and illustrations.
Jun 27, 2008 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, dogs, 2008
I enjoyed this story of friendship between a cat and a dog. I thought the story offered an excellent lesson and it was equally as enjoyable to read!
Sweet story and adorable illustrations. I have to get the others, I think there's 3 more with these characters.
Mar 29, 2014 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
set up in short chapters like Mr. Putter books
not as quirky or funny as it could have been
felt too long
Sep 25, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, library
Super cute. Best friends, Catina and Houndsley, have a great message for everyone...find something you like to do and then become the best.
Jun 30, 2008 julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-my-kids
This is from a series of easy readers that keep the childs attention. There are several from the author that are about Houndsley and Catina. We are fans!
Kate Hastings
Sep 11, 2016 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-readers
RL 580. Catina wants to be a famous writer but hates to write and Houndsley wants to prove he is the best cook but doesn’t want fame, so the two of them look for something better to be best at.
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • The Gunniwolf
  • Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt
  • The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Katie and the Sunflowers (Katie)
  • The Best Pet of All
  • Nadia's Hands
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • Imagine a Place
  • Penny and Her Doll

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Houndsley and Catina (4 books)
  • Houndsley and Catina and The Birthday Surprise (Houndsley and Catina, #2)
  • Houndsley and Catina and the Quiet Time (Houndsley and Catina, #3)
  • Houndsley and Catina Plink and Plunk (Houndsley and Catina, #4)