Start by marking “Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)” as Want to Read:
Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)

Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)

THE GAP BETWEEN THE WORLDS WAS SO THIN IN PLACES, YOU COULD ALMOST STEP ACROSS WITHOUT MEANING TO...

Lila Black can still turn into a lethal war-winning machine with the merest thought but she doesn't work for the agency any more. Problem is, she has no idea what to do next.

Teazle is a demon who may have become Death's Angel.

Zal is a has-been elven musician without a band.

T
344 pages
Published November 2010

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Bone

Cathy
I really wanted to like it, especially as the culmination of a five book series. But it kept getting more and more confusing. It was so long and each revelation just confused me more instead of being a cool ah-ha moment. As usual, there was way more tell me than show me, but it was really out of control this time, with long philosophical discussions both of real-world philosophy and issues specific to the story. it was just was too long and most of all, way too confusing. By the end I didn't car ...more
Alisa Hedden
Jul 24, 2011 Alisa Hedden rated it really liked it
First a warning (only slightly) no synopsis of previous events is included, so you might end up (like me) being a bit confused by everything that has gone before. Rather like trying to read the The Return of the King, without having read the previous books in the trilogy.
That being said, it was worth the confusion (for me) to get through the first parts and pick up the cues that helped to fill in the back story. Former Rock gods, demons, elves (with tails!) cyborgs, dragons, golems, etc, etc.
Fu
Karissa
Aug 26, 2011 Karissa rated it liked it
This is the fifth and final book in the Quantum Gravity series. This whole series has been crazy creative, a bit ambiguous at times, and lots of fun. This book tied things up nicely, but wasn’t an easy read at all...parts of the book were downright confusing.

Lila is back working for the Agency and is an unstoppable fighting machine. Zal is wandering around not sure what to do with himself but enjoying the time with Lila. Teazle is the Angel of Death and enjoys slaughtering massive amounts of dem
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

I'm sort of torn on this book.

On one hand, I continue to feel that Lila is a relatable and likable character, and there were real moments of pathos and complexity going on. But, on the other, her constant self recriminations and doubts and everything else seem to bog down the story because despite everything that happens it seems like it's the same notes that get played over and over again. (I never felt bored, per se, but there were a few times where I did think we could move along already.)
Deirdre
Jul 18, 2012 Deirdre rated it liked it
Dammit, now I want to go back to the beginning and start again. I'd say these would be best experienced read closely together, it took me a while to remember who everyone was and what their relationship was to everyone. Lila Black is more integrated with her lethality, Zal is more shadow than person, an elven musician who has no band and his memories are very patchy. There's also Teazle, a demon who is becoming an angel and possibly Death's Angel, Lila has been married to both but isn't sure whi ...more
Sarabeth
Feb 14, 2011 Sarabeth rated it really liked it
4 stars - purchased myself - a solid ending to an excellent saga. Lila Black, a fully integrated human/cyborg/other, continues her role as defender of the known realms alongside her "husbands" Zal, a shadow elf/demon hybrid and former rock star, and Teezle the "leader" of the demons by way of might makes right. The worlds are collapsing as a prophecy from the time before time comes true and the answers on what to do are not easily forthcoming. Lila must face some old friends head on and come to ...more
Julia
Jul 13, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
What a long, strange trip it has been... with flashes of humor, convulsing and convoluted mythology, treachery and loyalty twisting back on each other like snakes, and at long last, some measure of peace for a world that has lost none of its strangeness but just a bit of its peril. Robson does a good job bringing readers up to speed at the start of DOWN TO THE BONE (with prophetic, faery beer, of all things), but even with the bare bones of the conflict laid out, I can't say if new readers would ...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
What a long, strange trip it has been... with flashes of humor, convulsing and convoluted mythology, treachery and loyalty twisting back on each other like snakes, and at long last, some measure of peace for a world that has lost none of its strangeness but just a bit of its peril. Robson does a good job bringing readers up to speed at the start of DOWN TO THE BONE (with prophetic, faerie beer, of all things), but even with the bare bones of the conflict laid out, I can't say if new readers woul ...more
Rollie Reid
Jul 11, 2014 Rollie Reid rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
So, the story of Lila Black finally comes to an end. It has been a rather unusual ride.

Describing any of these five books is a little difficult, and it is a fitting ending to an unusual series that is even more difficult to describe.

The worlds are quite literally coming apart at the seams. Something...or rather three somethings created long, long ago are returning and Lila, Zal, and Teazle are tasked with finding these three somethings and stopping them.

The problem is that nothing can stop them,
Ove
Feb 19, 2011 Ove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Walking Dead meets Lila Black

The Quantum Gravity worlds are close to disaster, the dead walks again and the veil between the worlds are so thin that you may pass on by mistake. Lila and her bike are back and so are her husbands, the demon Teazle has turned into the Angel of Dead and the Elven Zal is not quite the same after returning from the Sisters either.

Lila Black is a feisty heroine half machine and half human but all attitude that makes these books so enjoyable to read. This is the fin
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
Originally reviewed at For Your Literary Pleasure
Because my comments for the last three books in the series are similar I'm cheating and making them have one review - sue me. In all honesty, this series could have been shorter. There were many scenes that dragged on despite having one of the more intricate plots I've read in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. My drive to finish the series was pushed by my inability let characters go with no resolution - I NEEDED to know what happened to Lila, Zal and Teazle
Samantha
Apr 09, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Down to the Bone provided an excellent conclusion to the Quantum Gravity series. Some readers who don’t enjoy reading about characters emotional journeys and the complexity involved will not enjoy this book or the earlier ones. There is a fair amount of emotional exploration by the characters but there are good reasons for this based on the characters history and therefore not superficial reasons put in by the author. The scientific conversations within the fifth book can be complex and slow the ...more
Andrea
Feb 17, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tal
Apr 03, 2012 Tal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy

Teazle is a demon who may have become Death's Angel.

Zal is a has-been elven musician without a band.

They don't add up to much and when they get together major stuff goes down.

But the dead are walking, the veil between the
Kimberly
Jen Lamoureux
Jul 13, 2014 Jen Lamoureux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a whole, I enjoyed the series. Magic, elves, demons, faeries, there's a lot there. There are times when the books become a cacophony. It feels like trying to read through crashing cymbals because there's just so much going on. This feeling is amplified by the fact that the final book seems to have reached a point around 2/3 of the way in where the editor decided to phone it in and take vacation the rest of the month. Still, a very interesting story. It uses old tropes we know and love from fa ...more
Rich
Nov 09, 2012 Rich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with more patience than me
Couldn't make it thru. Sorry kids. It's been so long since I read the last book in the series that I couldn't connect all the references being made in the first chapters (no blaming the author for that--it's all on me), the characters in the beginning were moribund and depressing to the point of boredom, and overall I think that this series just went one book too far. I wish I'd liked the fourth book better so that I'd perhaps feel up to rereading it later and trying again, but I don't see that ...more
Amanda
May 06, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Though I really enjoyed trading the previous books in this series, this one was immense work to get through. In fact one I got to the middle it was only a sense of loyalty or if the previous books that kept me reading. I found this book immensely confusing, as a result the study was not as enjoyable asit should be. I still love Lila, Zal and Teazle and their unusual relationship. I'm sad that this is the last book in the series and I didn't like the way it was told, but the way it ended worked o ...more
Dave
Sep 04, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
While overall this series was a little patchy, this book, the finale, was just great and rounded the series off very well. The author is to be praised for having genuinely created an original mythos from the routine stuff of fantasy; elves, demons, and faeries; and cyborgs, angels and more. It's a curious blend of science and fantasy that, on the whole, works well and is certainly to be recommended. It's also rich with techy gamer in jokes.
Perry
Mar 18, 2013 Perry rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Seemed a bit of a copout....

Pretty much every question regarding the overarching plot of what's going on for the past 5 books all gets wrapped up in a fairy tale style info dump right at the end :/

At the same time though...the characters were fairly vibrant, interesting relationship between Lila and friends kept things interesting and there was a strong, STRONG imagination on display.

So...funtimes.
Jasmyn
Feb 18, 2012 Jasmyn rated it liked it
I was really excited to get to the end of this interesting and original series but really struggled to connect with the characters that I had previously devoured so readily. It almost felt as if it were something the author was obliged to write, and I didn't feel as if the smart, sexy author was having as much smart, sexy fun as she used to with these books.
Maria Longley
Grand finale of the series with all the familiar players popping their heads into the action. It's a busy book with lots going on and I don't think it'd make that much sense if you hadn't read the previous ones.
Emily
Jun 24, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
A fun and fitting ending to the series. Took a little getting into as it had been a while since I read the previous books and the characters and customs took a while to get familiar with again. Very enjoyable and I'm glad of the way it ended. Not too sad, nor too mushy and clichéd either.
Sophie
Dec 18, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Didn't find this book as consuming as the previous four - it was more difficult to get into I thought (but this will probably change when I reread it). However the ending really surprised me, turning a potentially 2-3 star book into a 4-5star book. Can now say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Tegan
Apr 18, 2012 Tegan rated it liked it
While I love Justina Robson's writing, this series waned as it continued across 5 books. I found the action awkward to follow. On the flip side I think this series would translate very well onto the screen as movies or a mini-series.
Jessica
May 24, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Not as good as the previous books, felt a little slapdash at times, but an enjoyable read and I'll miss the characters.
Steve
Sep 19, 2011 Steve added it
Most enjoyable finale to a great series.
Tim Reynolds
Feb 25, 2014 Tim Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, urban, cyberpunk
Great ending to the series!
Larry Kenney
Feb 19, 2012 Larry Kenney rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Much better than the last book, for sure. A few things seemed a little too tidy, but overall I was pretty satisfied with the conclusion to this series.
Joe Collier
Jul 18, 2011 Joe Collier rated it liked it
Final book in the series, went out kind of weak. Love the series though.
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (The Cardinal's Blades #2)
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Mortality Bridge
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick Volume One: The King of the Elves
  • Ares Express
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • The Affair of the Chalk Cliffs (Narbondo, #5)
  • The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • The Bond That Saves Us (Eternal Bond, #4)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • Blue and Gold
Justina is from Leeds, a city in Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to write and always did. Other things sometimes got in the way and sometimes still do...but not too much.
More about Justina Robson...

Quantum Gravity (5 books)
  • Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1)
  • Selling Out (Quantum Gravity #2)
  • Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)
  • Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4)