Start by marking “The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died” as Want to Read:
The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died

The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Bishop renews our sense of wonder about the "greatest story ever told" as he vividly chronicles the events leading up to the two days that encompass the birth and death of Jesus. This collection of two bestsellers presents the immensely dramatic and ultimately uplifting events as though they were related for the first time.
Published December 1st 2001 by Galahad Books (NY) (first published September 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Christ Was Born/The Day Christ Died

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisFather Elijah by Michael D. O'BrienRisk by Geoffrey  WoodPierced by a Sword by Bud Macfarlane Jr.The Shack by Wm. Paul Young
True Catholic (Christian) Fiction
129th out of 184 books — 85 voters
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantPearl in the Sand by Tessa AfsharHarvest of Rubies by Tessa AfsharThe Centurion's Wife by Davis BunnSarai by Jill Eileen Smith
Biblical Fiction
120th out of 171 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

William
Oct 14, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
This book was well researched and well written. It took a subject that is often confusing and frustrating and made it truly a story. A story that is understandable and not forgettable. Could this story be more accurate than the short ones we have read in the Bible? Jim Bishop skillfully brought together historical data from archeological digs, literature, and linguistics that may give a well-rounded account of what really happened. The four authors in the Bible have provided our best view of the ...more
Jesus Stuff
Oct 13, 2013 Jesus Stuff rated it it was amazing
We have read the second installment in this two book series, "The Day Christ Was Born". We couldn't find just that book on Goodreads, so we are suggesting this edition. We enjoyed the second book so much, we can only imagine this compilation will be a magnificent read.

We suggest you read it at any time but especially during the Christmas season. The commercialism of the holiday can rob you of the wonder that surrounded the first Christmas. Read this and get lost in the humanness of it all.
Jared
Jun 15, 2010 Jared rated it liked it
The first part is short and contains very interesting perspectives on Jewish customs. A great, quick Christmas-time read.
The second part, while also full of interesting insight on ancient Jewish traditions, is a bit long. And I think the author has taken too many liberties trying to fill in the gaps of the story of Christ's death.
Ginni Cook
Jan 02, 2011 Ginni Cook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It's been awhile since I've read these, but this author Jim Bishop has a way of making you feel like you are an eyewitness. I feel I can see/hear/smell everything that is happening as it unfolds. I could not put this down simply because it felt like I was living at that time and place.
Jan
Jul 29, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
First half of the book was hard to stick with, but was soooo worth it when got to last half of the book. So interesting and wouldn't have been as good without reading all of it!
Krunali
Krunali marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Telps
Telps is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2016
Michael Bennett
Michael Bennett rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Craig Caroon
Craig Caroon rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Bill Casey
Bill Casey rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Josh Dull
Josh Dull rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Bob Jones
Bob Jones rated it did not like it
Dec 12, 2015
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Ric
Ric marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Angle Hsu
Angle Hsu marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Allison Cope
Allison Cope rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Mars
Mars marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Ruth Cunningham
Ruth Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Tracey Jeanne
Tracey Jeanne rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Kurt Frazier
Kurt Frazier is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Oct 10, 2014
Danguole Donahue
Danguole Donahue rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What is YOUR Most Memorable Book 1 2 Jan 02, 2014 07:25AM
James Alonzo "Jim" Bishop (November 21, 1907 – July 26, 1987) was an American journalist and author.
Born in Jersey City, New Jersey, he dropped out of school after eighth grade. In 1923, he studied typing, shorthand and bookkeeping, and in 1929 began work as a copy boy at the New York Daily News. In 1930, he got a job as a cub reporter at New York Daily Mirror, where he worked until 1943, when he
More about Jim Bishop...