Claude Monet: The Painter Who Stopped the Trains

Claude Monet: The Painter Who Stopped the Trains

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Young readers will learn how Claude Monet came to paint trains as well as how he forever changed the minds of critics about his art and about the Impressionists in general. When his nine-year-old son raves over trains passing by in the countryside, Monet wishes his own art could excite critics as much as trains captivate his son. The book explains his painting technique, h...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Claude Monet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claude Monet

Amelia
This is a wonderfully written book about Claude Monet’s time spent painting the trains that his son loved so much. He hoped that his paintings of the trains would change the negative way impressionists were viewed during this time. In addition to the powerful writing, the illustrations are beautifully painted with detail that will add to readers’ experiences.

I would recommend this book to those interested in teaching children about art history. This story is written to teach children in elementa...more
Reader
It seems more than mildly ridiculous that an unknown painter choosing to work in a style that was seriously unpopular with the critics could have managed to single-handedly convince one of the greatest train stations in Paris to allow him to hold up the trains, but that is precisely what Claude Monet did. When he needed to provide art for a new show in Paris, Monet had an inspiration. Impressionism (a term he hates) wasn't catching on quite yet. Why not make Impressionistic paintings of trains t...more
Laura Salas
This is a fascinating story about Claude Monet, and I learned a lot here! But I'm frustrated that this is categorized as nonfiction when it includes totally made up scenes and dialog and motivation. The basic incident is true, apparently, but Monet's son's fascination with trains was created by the author. This worked for making a child-friendly hook, but it turns this book fictional, in my view. The author also says, "...all the people I mention were involved in Monet's life at this time." So I...more
Fred Kohn
There's a lot of history packed into this apparently simple children's book. And the illustrations are superb as well.
Abby Johnson
Claude Monet wanted to paint trains to wow the people and the critics. But first, he had to get a station master to agree to stop the trains just for him.

I think the text and illustrations work well together to create a sense of time and place. The author's note and artist's note are both wonderful, relaying additional facts and sources to the story. I think this is a fine example of what children's non-fiction should be.

More on the blog: http://www.abbythelibrarian.com/2010/...
Christina
Although this is not a complete biography, since it only covers one particular series of paintings and the story behind them, nonetheless it is a lovely picture book look at Monet and his creative process. Plus, I sure didn't know that he made a series of paintings of trains--I thought he did only nature scenes like the waterlilies, etc.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: As an adult I'm baffled as to how the then little known Claude Monet could have convinced ANY stationmaster to stop the trains for him, but were I a child I'd simply ascribe it to one of the wondrous feats artists are capable of.
Sarah Sammis
Dec 07, 2013 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: Abby the Librarian
Had to read after scene in Sacre Bleu. Book includes good endnotes and references.

Donalyn
The story of Claude Monet's The Gare Saint-Lazare series of train station paintings and how the artist convinced train station managers to stop the trains so he could paint them.
Marianna
Much has been written about the generalities of Monet's life and career. This book looks at one specific series of paintings and how he worked to make them happen.
Rachel
Nice slice of a well known painters life. Lovely illustrations.
Kendra
Carrie Charley Brown
Carrie Charley Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Janelle Phinney
Janelle Phinney marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Sheila
Sheila added it
Aug 31, 2013
Grace Ciesla
Grace Ciesla marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Donna Black
Donna Black marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013