Start by marking “Poetry Out Loud” as Want to Read:
Poetry Out Loud

Poetry Out Loud

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Introduction by James Earl Jones. Now in paperback, here are over 100 lyrics, limericks, clerihews, ballads, raps, and other poems--famous and infamous, celebrated and obscure--that come alive when read aloud. Accompanying each poem are notes, introductions to basic poetic terms, and hints on reading them aloud. James Earl Jones, one of America's greatest living actors, in ...more
Paperback
Published January 11th 1995 by Algonquin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Out Loud

Julia Rix
Introduction by James Earl Jones presents an inspiring personal revelation through poetry. Some of my favorite poems are here.
These are always fun to read.
Samantha Lazar
The cover of this book really caught my attention. The guy is performing poetry for his dog. I also like the quote on the cover. It says, "Read to your love, dramatize for your children, perform at a party, or sing in the shower." Poetry is something that intimidates me a little bit, but this quote made me smile and realize that there is so much more to poetry.
Barbara
I liked it okay, and there were certain poems I superliked, such as "The Trees" by Larkin and "Concord" by Robert Lowell and "Devolution of the Nude" by Lynee McMahon. However, I didn't like as much as I thought I would. I think if I was just starting out with poetry or I taught it, I might care more. But alas, no. So, ennnhh.
Claire
A fairly comprehenive collection of anthologized-to-death poems--the sort that every American middle and high school student reads. Annotations are limited, but useful.
Michelle
During a three-day blackout in NYC, my best friend and I read this by candlelight. One of my favorite (and dorkiest) memories. An amazing collection, though.
Tandava Brahmachari
Nice broad selection of poetry. Do read it out loud -- it's more fun that way. :-)
Colleen
I recommend reading this in the bath tub
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Jan 05, 2014
David Titheridge
David Titheridge is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2013
Megan
Megan added it
Sep 20, 2013
Vitória
Vitória marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
R W
R W marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage Love Poetry Out Loud On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage Going to Hell in a Hen Basket: An Illustrated Dictionary of Modern Malapropisms New York Construction Law Manual Second Edition (Construction Law Series)