Start by marking “Poetry Out Loud” as Want to Read:
Poetry Out Loud

Poetry Out Loud

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Introduction by James Earl Jones. Now in paperback, here are over 100 lyrics, limericks, clerihews, ballads, raps, and other poems--famous and infamous, celebrated and obscure--that come alive when read aloud. Accompanying each poem are notes, introductions to basic poetic terms, and hints on reading them aloud. James Earl Jones, one of America's greatest living actors, in ...more
Paperback
Published January 11th 1995 by Algonquin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Out Loud

Julia Rix
Introduction by James Earl Jones presents an inspiring personal revelation through poetry. Some of my favorite poems are here.
Sep 22, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
These are always fun to read.
Samantha Lazar
Oct 22, 2008 Samantha Lazar rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The cover of this book really caught my attention. The guy is performing poetry for his dog. I also like the quote on the cover. It says, "Read to your love, dramatize for your children, perform at a party, or sing in the shower." Poetry is something that intimidates me a little bit, but this quote made me smile and realize that there is so much more to poetry.
Barbara
I liked it okay, and there were certain poems I superliked, such as "The Trees" by Larkin and "Concord" by Robert Lowell and "Devolution of the Nude" by Lynee McMahon. However, I didn't like as much as I thought I would. I think if I was just starting out with poetry or I taught it, I might care more. But alas, no. So, ennnhh.
Claire
Apr 08, 2011 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A fairly comprehenive collection of anthologized-to-death poems--the sort that every American middle and high school student reads. Annotations are limited, but useful.
Michelle
Oct 01, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
During a three-day blackout in NYC, my best friend and I read this by candlelight. One of my favorite (and dorkiest) memories. An amazing collection, though.
Tandava Brahmachari
Nov 09, 2012 Tandava Brahmachari rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Nice broad selection of poetry. Do read it out loud -- it's more fun that way. :-)
Colleen
Apr 20, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I recommend reading this in the bath tub
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Jane
Jane added it
Dec 27, 2015
Riley Palanca
Riley Palanca marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Sacred Heart
Sacred Heart marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Chaimann
Chaimann rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Peggy
Peggy added it
Mar 14, 2015
Gaijinmama
Gaijinmama marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Wes
Wes marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Jac
Jac rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Norma Ortiz
Norma Ortiz marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Shari
Shari rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Roger
Roger rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Julie Williams
Julie Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
ROBERT ALDEN RUBIN holds an M.A. in creative writing from Hollins College, and a PhD in English Literature from the University of North Carolina. He worked as a journalist and a college English instructor at the University of North Carolina and was an editor for Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill. He lives in Sykesville, Maryland, with his wife.
More about Robert Alden Rubin...