Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)

Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,681 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Tsubasa thinks that her pretty and popular twin sister, Arisa, has the perfect life. Everyone at school loves Arisa—unlike the hot-tempered Tsubasa, whose nickname is “the Demon Princess.” But when Arisa attempts suicide, Tsubasa learns that her seemingly perfect sister has been keeping some dark secrets. Now Tsubasa is going undercover at school—disguised as Arisa—in sear...more
Published October 26th 2010 by Del Rey (first published April 28th 2009)

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraSailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
86th out of 552 books — 1,109 voters
Pandora Hearts, Vol. 07 by Jun MochizukiChobits, Vol. 05 by CLAMPDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaBlack Butler, Vol. 06 by Yana Toboso
Best Manga Covers
9th out of 295 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

FREEBIRD
I saw this lovely lady post a review of this on Goodreads and thought I'd check it out for the heck of it. I ended up reading about 20 chapters in one sitting because it was just that good. The art is beautiful, the characters are interesting and this is really dark. When compared with the adorable style, the creepiness of the actual story is almost off-putting, but it's also so compelling that I can't wait to read all of the available chapters.

Two twins were separated in their parent's divorce....more
Selena
Oct 30, 2011 Selena rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those being bullied, friends of bullied people, people who like deep but not preachy
I was at the library the other day and just happened to stumble upon this. The cover looked pretty, and after reading the synopsis, I thought, "Ooh. Twin impersonating a twin for secrets after a suicide attempt. Touch of mystery, too. Interesting."

Honestly, you don't see too many books that bring up suicide. Bullying? Very common in shoujo manga and novels for teen-aged girls. But in both, the story is typically about how to deal. Find good friends who like you for you, believe in yourself. Blah...more
Nicole
This series has potential. In this first volume, we meet two twins (Tsubasa and Arisa) who were separated at a young age when their parents divorced - one girl went to live with mom, the other with dad. But the girls have always been close and kept in touch with letters. Tsubasa has grown up to be a bit of a tom-boy, always better friends with guys than girls and always wishing she had the girly-perfect life of her twin, Arisa. According to Arisa's letters, she's popular, she has a boyfriend, an...more
Sean O'Hara
Tsubasa and Arisa are identical twins but they haven't lived together since their parents divorced. In the three years since they've become very different people, Tsubasa a tomboy and Arisa a girly-girl. They've kept in touch through email and Tsubasa believes she knows what kind of life her sister leads, but she learns how wrong she is when she goes to visit Arisa.

Arisa suggests they pull a twin switch so Tsubasa can see what her life's really like. At first it seems as shiny and happy as Tsuba...more
Molly
Feb 25, 2013 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Manga fans, teens, adults
Shelves: manga
Arisa is an amazing teen manga series. The story focuses on Tsubasa, who has been separated from her twin, Arisa, for many years and has only stayed in contact with her through secret letters. When the pair finally meet up again, Tsubasa (Who's also known as the 'Demon Princess' at her school and who only has male friends) can't stop talking about how great her sister's life seems. Arisa thinks otherwise though, and soon jumps out a window. Arisa lives, but she's thrown into a coma, and now Tsub...more
Kate
Basic premise: Tsubasa pretends to be her twin sister, Arisa, attending school and fooling classmates in order to find out why Arisa would attempt suicide.

After four volumes, I still don't really know where this story is going. I am going to need to request my library to pick up volumes 5 and 6. I'm interested enough to continue the story, just not interested enough to actually buy the series myself.

This is the same mangaka that wrote Kitchen Princess, which was a cute enough story if not a bit...more
Sesana
I loved Kitchen Princess, so naturally I was excited to read Arisa. It starts out as a fairly standard, fairly cute high school book, with the typical twin trick of switching places for a day. And then there's a huge shift of tone at the end of the first chapter. That marks the beginning of what is, so far, a strange and sometimes deeply creepy story. The central mystery has almost no clues so far, and there's still quite a lot left unexplored about it. I think I'm hooked.

I really like Natsumi A...more
Megan Sanchez
This is a surprisingly exciting read. I randomly picked it up at the library and found myself absolutely spellbound by the first volume.

Tsubasa's twin sister attempts suicide and ends up in a coma after confessing to some "terrible" secrets. To uncover what could possibly make her otherwise perfect sister try to kill her, Tsubasa disguises herself as Arisa.

The storytelling is fast-paced for a school drama. I was so glad that I had volume 2 sitting next to me when I put this one down. I would h...more
Florie Jo (✿◠‿◠) Alicer
This Amazing!!!I can't remember when i read it on manga online but i think it was on May of 2011...
Cause i know i have been waiting for the series..
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
What deep, dark secrets reside in Jr. High? I'm definitely sticking around to find out. Good balance of cute and sinister in this one.
Katy
It's like a dark, twisty, less ridiculous version of Gossip Girl! LOVE IT! Hope I can get my hands on more volumes soon!
Jamie
This manga begins as a story of two twin sisters who were separated due to their parents divorce. Three years after the divorce, Tsubasa seeks out for her sister, Arisa. Despite being physically apart from one another, they continued to write letters as a form of communication. One day they finally decide to meet. Everything was going well until Tsubasa mentioned how envious she was of Arisa, her twin. Arisa then tells Tsubasa that she should dress up and go to her school. After a quick make ove...more
Sandy
Arisa on the surface may look like your typical light, clichéd-filled, shoujo manga with its slightly spastic heroine with her over blown expressions but after the first chapter it is clearly obvious that this is not the case.

Tsubasa and her twin sister Arisa were separated when they were quite young after their parents divorced and although the girls never see each other they have written each other frequently telling the other all about her own life, or at least this is what Tsubasa thought un...more
Chibineko
Fans of Kitchen Princess will be surprised at the change of pace for this manga, since KP was predominantly a lighthearted & cute manga for the most part. Ando takes the reader on a whole new journey in this series.

Ever since Tsubasa & Arisa were separated by their parents' divorce, they've sworn to keep in touch. When they finally reunite years later, Tsubasa eagerly jumps at the chance to pretend to be her pretty, popular, & perfect sister. However, she quickly discovers that her s...more
Theresa ♫
Nov 25, 2011 Theresa ♫ rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fellow shoujo manga fans in search for a thrill
I didn't have very many bookshelves to put this series on, mostly because I'm used to reading romantic shoujo manga. This manga isn't a romance so far, but it's more like a thrilling kind of manga.

I've been happy with Natsumi Ando's work. Kitchen Princess was one of my favorites when I was in middle school. It's good to say that Arisa is a good manga to read too, although my school library doesn't have a volume of Arisa past volume 3.

Tsubasa is a girl who had been separated from her twin sister,...more
Sumney
Strong debut
I thought I had left manga behind with my childhood and my years in middle school. Nope, it was not just a phase. I still enjoy manga (I'm just pickier about it) and I prefer novels.

Arisa was great! It kept me on the edge of my seat and I'm prepared for (hopefully) more volumes to come. I have the next 3 in the series and I've heard that there are many more to come after that!

Arisa is a series about twins Tsubasa and Arisa. The twins were seperated at age 11 by a divorce and they'r...more
Mike
Apr 19, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mike by: Shoujo Manga Book Club
Tsubasa, the delinquent "Demon Princess" of her high school, hasn't seen her twin sister Arisa for years but stays close via private letters. Arisa's life is everything hers isn't - good grades, lots of friends and a boyfriend to boot. But Arisa has secrets, and her sudden attempted suicide shatters Tsubasa's illusions and convinces the demon princess to find out what's plaguing her beloved sister... even if she has to become Arisa to find out.

Arisa is a manga that I decided to try out solely ba...more
Jennifer Ironside
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Twin sisters, Tsubasa and Arisa, write letters back and forth after being separated from each other upon their parents' divorce. Based on her letters, Arisa seems to lead the perfect life. She has good grades, is popular at school and has a cool boyfriend, unlike the not-so-popular Tsubasa who is nicknamed "The Demon Princess" by her schoolmates.

So when Arisa tries to kill herself, Tsubasa doesn't understand why. Disguised as Arisa, Tsubasa tries...more
qiqing
Arisa Sonoda and Tsubasa Uehara is 14 years old girl they are twin sisters. One day they both meet and Arisa when jump off the building and Arisa in in a coma. Tsubasa is the older twin sister she wants to find out what secrets Arisa have in school that makes her jump off the building. So, Tsubasa pretended to be Arisa and go to her school. Then she found out in Arisa’s class there is a Secret control the class. Tsubasa when on to find out who is the king.
In this book I learn that if you have...more
Bena Chen
After three years apart, Tsubasa and Arisa, two twin sisters, reunite. Throughout the years, they came up with an idea to switch places to get a taste of what their twins life was like. Tsubasa finds out that Arisa's life wasn't what it cracked up to be, when Arisa commits suicide. She fails and ends up in a coma. Tsubasa goes in Arisa's place to school reveal the truth surrounding Arisa's deeds. However, she ends up finding that there's a higher authority controlling the class and he goes by t...more
Katherine
Jul 29, 2013 Katherine rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone who likes Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game and those who love a good mystery.
Recommended to Katherine by: Goodreads
OMG I LOVE THIS!

Just to clarify, Tsubasa is the blond one.

So, apparently Tsubasa and Arisa are twins-they haven't seen each other in years and one day, Arisa attempts suicide, which leads Taubasa to pretend to be her to find out her secrets.

And the secret is really that! It's so interesting!

(view spoiler)...more
Robert J. Roland
Now I love graphic novels and when I first saw this book I thought it was going to be a little immature but actually I was dead wrong. I love the book. It's rated for ages 13 and up so that right there says that it's got to be something. Plus there is alot of connflict, romance, humor, suspence and little bit of cussing. For those of you who like action graphic novels I'm sorry but there isn't a ton of that. This book however is mainly about 2 twin sisters named Arisa and Tsubasa. Arisa tries to...more
Brie
Aug 13, 2012 Brie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This was my first Manga read.
I'll admit I bought it for the cover. "Ooh so pretty" I thought.
I didn't expect much beyond marveling at the wonderful drawings. Surprisingly the visuals aided in giving some depth to the characters, making this more than just a story of dialogue.
Being as I love long stories to get lost in, I was bummed that I read this in about half an hour-most of which was spent on the details of the "ooh pretty pictures". My minor disappointment was balanced by the ending. The s...more
Kellvea
I LOVED mangas, but this one was really good, and unique. Its about 2twins being seperated at birth because of their parents divorce. They wrote letters all the time to each other. One day they plan to meet and when they do. Arisa, one of the twins jumps off the window of their apartment building. Tsubasa, the other twin tries to find out why. She finds a note that says, "Arisa Sonoda is a traitor" Turns out the class has a big secret. Tsubasa disguses as her twin sister Arisa to find out who is...more
Michael
Kind of similar to the CW's new show, Ringer in concept. When a female character who seemingly has it all tries to kill herself, her twin (who has a much rougher life) takes her place and tries to figure out what went wrong. In Arisa, the girls are in high school; each living with a different parent after a messy divorce. That arrangement is difficult to buy, but not as much as the revelation of what drove Arisa to attempt suicide.

As that mystery is solved, others arise, but the goofiness of th...more
Annette
This is an extremely interesting manga series, and I'm still a noob at the whole manga reading life style, which proves that this is a book that should be looked at! It breaks the norm by putting the climax within the first few chapters! As soon as I opened the book I kept asking, who is this king? Why did aria try to kill herself? What's wrong with class 2-b. I could hardly put it down and am proud to say i read it in one siting
Elissa
I liked this FAR more than I expected to. The idea of twins switching places has been done many times before but this wasn't a twin-switching story. It's one sister disguising herself as the other to help and protect her sister. I'm interested in how this will play out. Tsubasa seems to be strong-willed person and so I'd like to see how well she can keep up the charade of being Arisa.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
HATEEEEEE (I've learned to hiss the word HATE) OH HOW THIS MANGA MAKES ME LOVEEEEEE HATTTTTTINGGGGGGGGGG! MY SANITY IS DYING DYING DYING DYING I WANT TO TEAR- I deleted a bunch of cusswords b/c I'm TRYING not to be a Bitch. HAVE TO GO BEFORE I COMMIT MENTAL SUICIDE CONTEMPLATING THIS.. book (It's an insult, take it as one). BUT THIS. HAH This book is shit. Black crap from the birds.
Chelsea
This story was filled with interesting and complex characters as well as having an interesting plot that keeps you guessing about what will happen next. This story does a great job of keeping your interest and I am looking forward to the next volume.

Contains Chapters: 1 - 4
1.) Tsubasa & Arisa
2.) Himetsubaki Junior High Class 2-B
3.) King Time
4.) Akira Manabe
Patricia BookExhibitionism
It's been years since I read her P.I. series and so at first I only thought "Huh.. I have heard of this mangaka before.. Wonder where?"

I really like her art. It's not too messy, something that often happens with shoujo manga (or at least the manga I read. v_v°) and I also am intrigued by the story.. Enough to continue reading the series, that is. :)
Comic books/Graph...: October: Arisa 11 16 Nov 15, 2013 08:56PM
Fav Anime/Manga :): Haven't read it? 1 4 Jul 23, 2013 09:03PM
Did you want Tubassa to end up with Manabe ? 1 6 Jul 02, 2013 04:38PM
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 01 (Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, #1)
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 01 (Arata: The Legend, #1)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 2
  • Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 01 (Dawn of the Arcana, #1)
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Papillon 1
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Flower in a Storm (Flower in a Storm, #1)
  • Karakuri Odette Volume 1
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 7 (Library Wars: Love & War, #7)
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 01 (Barajou no Kiss, #1)
  • I Am Here! Omnibus Vol. 01
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 01
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1
  • The Earl and The Fairy, Vol. 01 (The Earl and the Fairy, #1)
安藤なつみ, Andō Natsumi is a Japanese manga artist. She is best known for Zodiac P.I. as well as Kitchen Princess, for which she won the Kodansha Manga Award for children's manga in 2006.

Favorites: Donald Duck
Favourite manga: Ossu! Ichijin and Kimagure Orange Road
Favourites: meets and fruits
Hobbies: shopping, reading and watching TV
More about Natsumi Ando...
Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1) Kitchen Princess, Vol. 03 (Kitchen Princess, #3) Kitchen Princess, Vol. 08 (Kitchen Princess, #8) Kitchen Princess, Vol. 06 (Kitchen Princess, #6) Kitchen Princess, Vol. 04 (Kitchen Princess, #4)