Start by marking “Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)” as Want to Read:
Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)

Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Published October 26th 2010 by Del Rey (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Arisa, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arisa, Vol. 01

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
81st out of 658 books — 1,499 voters
Black Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoPandora Hearts パンドラハーツ 1 by Jun MochizukiFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaSailor Moon, #1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Best Manga Art
21st out of 227 books — 202 voters

More lists with this book...

Julia
Sep 29, 2013 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I saw this lovely lady post a review of this on Goodreads and thought I'd check it out for the heck of it. I ended up reading about 20 chapters in one sitting because it was just that good. The art is beautiful, the characters are interesting and this is really dark. When compared with the adorable style, the creepiness of the actual story is almost off-putting, but it's also so compelling that I can't wait to read all of the available chapters.

Two twins were separated in their parent's divorce.
Selena
Oct 30, 2011 Selena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those being bullied, friends of bullied people, people who like deep but not preachy
I was at the library the other day and just happened to stumble upon this. The cover looked pretty, and after reading the synopsis, I thought, "Ooh. Twin impersonating a twin for secrets after a suicide attempt. Touch of mystery, too. Interesting."

Honestly, you don't see too many books that bring up suicide. Bullying? Very common in shoujo manga and novels for teen-aged girls. But in both, the story is typically about how to deal. Find good friends who like you for you, believe in yourself. Blah
Nicole
Apr 23, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
This series has potential. In this first volume, we meet two twins (Tsubasa and Arisa) who were separated at a young age when their parents divorced - one girl went to live with mom, the other with dad. But the girls have always been close and kept in touch with letters. Tsubasa has grown up to be a bit of a tom-boy, always better friends with guys than girls and always wishing she had the girly-perfect life of her twin, Arisa. According to Arisa's letters, she's popular, she has a boyfriend, an ...more
Dani
Chapters 1-4.

I was really intrigued by the premise of twins separated by divorced parents. I liked how Arisa setup her twin, Tsubasa, to learn about her life. Its hard to share when you work at hiding your unhappiness so long. I really liked Tsubasa's personality - her "demon princess" nature and insistence on doing what is right.

The king's room was so unexpected as everyone welcomes the Arisa posing Tsubasa. The Shiori event with Manabe as the instigator was quite confusing - I just wanted to
Sean O'Hara
Tsubasa and Arisa are identical twins but they haven't lived together since their parents divorced. In the three years since they've become very different people, Tsubasa a tomboy and Arisa a girly-girl. They've kept in touch through email and Tsubasa believes she knows what kind of life her sister leads, but she learns how wrong she is when she goes to visit Arisa.

Arisa suggests they pull a twin switch so Tsubasa can see what her life's really like. At first it seems as shiny and happy as Tsuba
Mike
Apr 19, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mike by: Shoujo Manga Book Club
Tsubasa, the delinquent "Demon Princess" of her high school, hasn't seen her twin sister Arisa for years but stays close via private letters. Arisa's life is everything hers isn't - good grades, lots of friends and a boyfriend to boot. But Arisa has secrets, and her sudden attempted suicide shatters Tsubasa's illusions and convinces the demon princess to find out what's plaguing her beloved sister... even if she has to become Arisa to find out.

Arisa is a manga that I decided to try out solely ba
Molly
Feb 25, 2013 Molly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga fans, teens, adults
Shelves: manga
Arisa is an amazing teen manga series. The story focuses on Tsubasa, who has been separated from her twin, Arisa, for many years and has only stayed in contact with her through secret letters. When the pair finally meet up again, Tsubasa (Who's also known as the 'Demon Princess' at her school and who only has male friends) can't stop talking about how great her sister's life seems. Arisa thinks otherwise though, and soon jumps out a window. Arisa lives, but she's thrown into a coma, and now Tsub ...more
Kate
Feb 28, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
Basic premise: Tsubasa pretends to be her twin sister, Arisa, attending school and fooling classmates in order to find out why Arisa would attempt suicide.

After four volumes, I still don't really know where this story is going. I am going to need to request my library to pick up volumes 5 and 6. I'm interested enough to continue the story, just not interested enough to actually buy the series myself.

This is the same mangaka that wrote Kitchen Princess, which was a cute enough story if not a bit
Sesana
Jan 15, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, comics
I loved Kitchen Princess, so naturally I was excited to read Arisa. It starts out as a fairly standard, fairly cute high school book, with the typical twin trick of switching places for a day. And then there's a huge shift of tone at the end of the first chapter. That marks the beginning of what is, so far, a strange and sometimes deeply creepy story. The central mystery has almost no clues so far, and there's still quite a lot left unexplored about it. I think I'm hooked.

I really like Natsumi A
Ashleigh
Jan 07, 2016 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
I knew I was gonna to enjoy Arisa when the summary reminded me of the drama Bump Off Lover. I was a fool to leave the library with only one volume in hand...
Megan Sanchez
Jun 29, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it really liked it
This is a surprisingly exciting read. I randomly picked it up at the library and found myself absolutely spellbound by the first volume.

Tsubasa's twin sister attempts suicide and ends up in a coma after confessing to some "terrible" secrets. To uncover what could possibly make her otherwise perfect sister try to kill her, Tsubasa disguises herself as Arisa.

The storytelling is fast-paced for a school drama. I was so glad that I had volume 2 sitting next to me when I put this one down. I would h
Amber
Jul 24, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, summer-2015
realistic but with a spooky cult like twist about it. interested in seeing where this goes
Feb 27, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars for Arisa, vol. 1

Thoughts

When I first found this series on the bottom library shelf, I almost passed it by. But then I thought "well, maybe I'll just read the synopsis," which then turned into "I don't know...maybe I'll just take a peek at the art." And that turned into "F*ck it." pulls whole series off the shelf and into the library book bag "I'll read the first one and decide from there and if I like it, I got all the books up to the current issue." And you know what, despite my hig
Lynanne Carroll
Jun 04, 2015 Lynanne Carroll rated it really liked it
**This review covers most of the series (I haven't finished it yet, but I'm not sure I ever will, so I decided I'd write a mini-review now).

I stepped into the world of this manga unaware of just how obnoxious the suspense and mystery would be to me. Normally I like thrillers...but this one, rather than making me wonder what was going to happen/whodunit(?!), I found myself just being angry.

Angry at the protagonist for not being more aggressive and intelligent. Angry at her twin for not telling a
Timothy Stone
Aug 14, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing
Aris is the first volume in a manga series that is an unusually deep psychological thriller for a shojo series. It has some plot holes, but is mostly very well plotted in this first volume, and presents a psychological story with the complexity expected of the adult, not younger reader, demographics.

The basic story is of two twin sisters, Tsubasa and Arisa, who were separated after their parents' divorce many years before. They have kept in touch through letters, but have not seen each other fac
Sereneblaze
May 02, 2016 Sereneblaze rated it it was ok
Tsubasa thinks that her pretty and popular twin sister, Arisa, has the perfect life. Everyone at school loves Arisa—unlike the hot-tempered Tsubasa, whose nickname is “the Demon Princess.” But when Arisa attempts suicide, Tsubasa learns that her seemingly perfect sister has been keeping some dark secrets. Now Tsubasa is going undercover at school—disguised as Arisa—in search of the truth. But will Arisa’s secrets shatter Tsubasa’s life, too?

This shoujo manga was interesting... sorta. The art its
Ella
Sep 04, 2015 Ella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
"King Time," a time during 4th period which is self-study time. Where students in class 2-B go on their phones and enter a wish. The "king" will choose one of the wishes that the students gave. [I wanted to say this for all the other volumes since I breezed them all from reading it] Like I said the "king" will only choose one wish from whichever student that he had chosen and clearly that wish is chosen.

Arisa is Tsubasa's twin sister. You'll find out the rest what's going on. Once you've read al
Katy
May 21, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
It's like a dark, twisty, less ridiculous version of Gossip Girl! LOVE IT! Hope I can get my hands on more volumes soon!
Dyanna
Mar 19, 2016 Dyanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

Arisa is the type of manga that is a mystery and I love this type of manga. I wanted to rated 5 stars but then I remembered that the couple I wanted in the end did not happened. This is not a shoujo, the main plot is about how Tsubasa , the twin sister of Arisa takes her sister's place in her high school after Arisa trying to commit suicide. Infiltrated in the school as Arisa, Tsubasa finds that the all class play a strange game and dangerous, together with Manabe a colleague, Tsubasa must find
Regina Fuller
Sep 03, 2015 Regina Fuller rated it it was amazing
I like this book because Very interesting... My favorite characteristic her name is Tusban's sister Arisa. Tusban more of mystery why Arisa got black out and won't wake up. Tusban became take action her twin sister Arisa go to school. First all Tusban and Arisa are twin and their mom and dad get separate. Arisa live with mom and Tusban live with dad but they ever not meet about 13 years. Tusban want know what Arisa's serect paper cause Arisa decide kill herself. I like Tusban because she never g ...more
Nicole
Arisa and Tsubasa are twins who have been separated for the past three years due to their parents divorce. At one point in time, the twins were close ... so close they could practically read each others minds.

But three years is a long time not to see or talk to one another. So when they finally meet one day at a local park, Arisa and Tsubasa realize that twin connection is still alive and well! Getting to know each other, they realize that even though they are twins, they are very different.

Aris
Jamie
Aug 18, 2012 Jamie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 12th-grade-books
This manga begins as a story of two twin sisters who were separated due to their parents divorce. Three years after the divorce, Tsubasa seeks out for her sister, Arisa. Despite being physically apart from one another, they continued to write letters as a form of communication. One day they finally decide to meet. Everything was going well until Tsubasa mentioned how envious she was of Arisa, her twin. Arisa then tells Tsubasa that she should dress up and go to her school. After a quick make ove ...more
Sandy
Jun 09, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
Arisa on the surface may look like your typical light, clichéd-filled, shoujo manga with its slightly spastic heroine with her over blown expressions but after the first chapter it is clearly obvious that this is not the case.

Tsubasa and her twin sister Arisa were separated when they were quite young after their parents divorced and although the girls never see each other they have written each other frequently telling the other all about her own life, or at least this is what Tsubasa thought un
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fans of Kitchen Princess will be surprised at the change of pace for this manga, since KP was predominantly a lighthearted & cute manga for the most part. Ando takes the reader on a whole new journey in this series.

Ever since Tsubasa & Arisa were separated by their parents' divorce, they've sworn to keep in touch. When they finally reunite years later, Tsubasa eagerly jumps at the chance to pretend to be her pretty, popular, & perfect sister. However, she quickly discovers that her s
Theresa ♫
Nov 25, 2011 Theresa ♫ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow shoujo manga fans in search for a thrill
I didn't have very many bookshelves to put this series on, mostly because I'm used to reading romantic shoujo manga. This manga isn't a romance so far, but it's more like a thrilling kind of manga.

I've been happy with Natsumi Ando's work. Kitchen Princess was one of my favorites when I was in middle school. It's good to say that Arisa is a good manga to read too, although my school library doesn't have a volume of Arisa past volume 3.

Tsubasa is a girl who had been separated from her twin sister,
Sumney
Apr 23, 2013 Sumney rated it really liked it
Strong debut
I thought I had left manga behind with my childhood and my years in middle school. Nope, it was not just a phase. I still enjoy manga (I'm just pickier about it) and I prefer novels.

Arisa was great! It kept me on the edge of my seat and I'm prepared for (hopefully) more volumes to come. I have the next 3 in the series and I've heard that there are many more to come after that!

Arisa is a series about twins Tsubasa and Arisa. The twins were seperated at age 11 by a divorce and they'r
Jennifer Ironside
Jan 13, 2012 Jennifer Ironside rated it really liked it
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Twin sisters, Tsubasa and Arisa, write letters back and forth after being separated from each other upon their parents' divorce. Based on her letters, Arisa seems to lead the perfect life. She has good grades, is popular at school and has a cool boyfriend, unlike the not-so-popular Tsubasa who is nicknamed "The Demon Princess" by her schoolmates.

So when Arisa tries to kill herself, Tsubasa doesn't understand why. Disguised as Arisa, Tsubasa tries
qiqing
Jan 23, 2012 qiqing rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10th-grade-adv
Arisa Sonoda and Tsubasa Uehara is 14 years old girl they are twin sisters. One day they both meet and Arisa when jump off the building and Arisa in in a coma. Tsubasa is the older twin sister she wants to find out what secrets Arisa have in school that makes her jump off the building. So, Tsubasa pretended to be Arisa and go to her school. Then she found out in Arisa’s class there is a Secret control the class. Tsubasa when on to find out who is the king.
In this book I learn that if you have
Luna
May 23, 2016 Luna rated it really liked it
Series Rating: 3.5Stars (first few volumes are 4 Stars)

I read this series in one sitting, which is quite telling in itself. However I will say now that the story does lag a bit after a few volumes and loses something of the great set up it had at the beginning. That said, the author Natsumi Ando is good at ending chapters/volumes with cliff-hangers. So you get to the end of one book and immediately want to pick up the next one. (Case in point – me.)

The art is excellent and was part of the reason
Bena
Nov 14, 2011 Bena rated it liked it
After three years apart, Tsubasa and Arisa, two twin sisters, reunite. Throughout the years, they came up with an idea to switch places to get a taste of what their twins life was like. Tsubasa finds out that Arisa's life wasn't what it cracked up to be, when Arisa commits suicide. She fails and ends up in a coma. Tsubasa goes in Arisa's place to school reveal the truth surrounding Arisa's deeds. However, she ends up finding that there's a higher authority controlling the class and he goes by t ...more
Shoujo Manga Book...: Arisa Discussion 1 7 Apr 17, 2016 05:29AM
Comic books/Graph...: October: Arisa 11 16 Nov 15, 2013 08:56PM
Fav Anime/Manga :): Haven't read it? 1 4 Jul 23, 2013 09:03PM
Did you want Tubassa to end up with Manabe ? 1 10 Jul 02, 2013 04:38PM
  • Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, Vol. 1
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Stepping on Roses, Volume 2
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #1)
  • Papillon 1
  • I Am Here! Omnibus Vol. 01
  • Mixed Vegetables, Vol. 1 (Mixed Vegetables, #1)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 3 (Library Wars: Love & War #3)
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 01 (Barajou no Kiss, #1)
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • Flower in a Storm (Flower in a Storm, #1)
  • Kieli, Vol. 1
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
安藤なつみ, Andō Natsumi is a Japanese manga artist. She is best known for Zodiac P.I. as well as Kitchen Princess, for which she won the Kodansha Manga Award for children's manga in 2006.

Favorites: Donald Duck
Favourite manga: Ossu! Ichijin and Kimagure Orange Road
Favourites: meats and fruits
Hobbies: shopping, reading and watching TV
More about Natsumi Ando...

Arisa (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Arisa, Vol. 02 (Arisa, #2)
  • Arisa, Vol. 03 (Arisa, #3)
  • Arisa, Vol. 04 (Arisa, #4)
  • Arisa, Vol. 05 (Arisa, #5)
  • Arisa, Vol. 06 (Arisa, #6)
  • Arisa, Vol. 07 (Arisa, #7)
  • Arisa, Vol. 08 (Arisa, #8)
  • Arisa, Vol. 09 (Arisa, #9)
  • Arisa, Vol. 10 (Arisa, #10)
  • Arisa, Vol. 11 (Arisa, #11)