Start by marking “The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  440 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Transforming vegan cooking from "oat cuisine" to "haute cuisine"
Sampling ruby-red organic berries at a farmers’ market. Comparing thirty varieties of rice noodles in a Vietnamese food store. Ordering "good & greasy" vegetarian rotis from a street cart. This is the life of the urban vegan, and author Dynise Balcavage brings this cuisine to life in The Urban Vegan. Desig
Published (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Urban Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Urban Vegan

Lisa Vegan
Apr 13, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Lesley
Four must try recipes for me: Real Hot Chocolate (with vegan marshmallows but not with the optional alcohol), Potatoes with 40 Cloves of Garlic, Vegan Cut Out Cookies with the icing, and the Macho Fudge Sauce. They’re definitely not the healthiest recipes in the book! I also noted nine other recipes that I’m particularly interested in, but those four look the most irresistible. I also love the instructions and ingredients for making soup stock.

I’m a city person and a vegan and I was intrigued en
Tamara C
Her writing style is a little annoying...corny jokes and she comes off a little pretentious. Also, this is less urban vegan and more global vegan. Which is fine, just not what I expected.
Melissa
Aug 12, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have a ton of vegan cookbooks, and this is definitely not my go-to one. I dig that the urbanity the author refers to in the title is none other than Philadelphia, PA, otherwise known as "my parts" (although I've relocated to Pittsburgh), and I really like that she's wearing a necklace that I ALSO OWN on the cover, rad. But the thing is, the recipes have mostly not been anything too special.

Did not like:

Spicy Indian Eggplant - Too spicy, really, meaning it contained too many spices, not that it
Kaya
Feb 02, 2011 Kaya rated it it was amazing
This would make a fabulous present to give to a vegan/vegetarian/tasty eater. Lots of quick and easy stuff and all really inventive. The french toast sandwiches thingies are ridiculous (Pain Perdu). And there's a creamy avocado dressing with sesame oil, agave syrup and some other crap that will freak you out. The bottom line is that all these recipes are fun and celebratory and not at all bland.

The french toast things get filled with tofutti cream cheese, jam, spices, vanilla then put in a cass
Maeve
Jul 07, 2015 Maeve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I am looking forward to trying some of these recipes, especially the sauces that will be useful in dressing up many dishes. I also enjoyed the appendix at the end that paired recipes in the book together for themed menus.
Samantha Arias
Mar 13, 2014 Samantha Arias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Had some pretty interesting recipes. Some interesting flavor combinations. There were a few that I can't bring myself to try just yet, but one day. There were a few hard to find ingredients but all of them are easily replaced if you can't get them. I liked the variety in the different dishes and in the proteins. The only con to this book is there was no pictures.
Holly Booms Walsh
A good vegan cookbook, more fancy than everyday recipes. I did not make any of the recipes but would consider purchasing for my cookbook collection.
Christie Beck
Gourmet vegan & great ethnic recipes
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Chardena valley
Chardena valley marked it as to-read
Memphis Tennesseetf\,
Memphis Tennesseetf\, marked it as to-read
Lesley Vick
Lesley Vick marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
caza
caza marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Malinda Hayes-riquelme
Malinda Hayes-riquelme marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Opalline Etoile
Opalline Etoile marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Ann Gilsenan
Ann Gilsenan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Jennifer Perry
Jennifer Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Theo
Theo rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Shauna Bostian
Shauna Bostian marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Claudia Leger
Claudia Leger rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Mohanad Alyasiri
Mohanad Alyasiri rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Joanne harrington
Joanne harrington marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Wassila
Wassila marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Hyacinth Wizzard
Hyacinth Wizzard marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Linda Andromidas
Linda Andromidas rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Nada
Nada marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
  • Vegan Express
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Blissful Bites: Vegan Meals That Nourish Mind, Body, and Planet
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
Author of Pies and Tarts with Heart, The Urban Vegan, and Celebrate Vegan.

Runner. Reader. Traveler. Cat mama.
More about Dynise Balcavage...