Start by marking “Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:
Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia

Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,802 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The loveable, hilarious Amelia Bedelia steps up to the plate, filling in for a sick player on the Grizzlies baseball team. Nobody plays ball like Amelia Bedelia!
Published September 29th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia

Nov 14, 2008 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Amelia Bedelia
My boss met Peggy Parish when she (my boss) was a kid! How cool is that! Now she (Peggy Parish) is dead. That makes me a bit sad. Circle of life and all of that, I know, but I wish Peggy were still writing books. (I guess her nephew has taken over the Amelia Bedelia franchise.)

Anyway, this is not my favorite Amelia Bedelia book (that would be the one where she dusts the furniture and draws the drapes), but this one is good. It's pretty hilarious when Amelia Bedelia steals those bases!
No children's book collection could be complete without Amelia Bedelia! As a kid I was always trying to figure out how Amelia Bedelia would twist the words around or how she would take it literally before I turned the page. She is so funny and lovable. In this book my favorite has always been when Ameila steals the bases and runs home. :)
Casey Trump
Amelia Bedelia takes on playing ball! Oh what will she do now? As always, she keeps young readers gussing as to what she'll get into this time. Predictable in the sense that she's going to do something wrong, bad wrong, but keeps readers interested to find out what.
I read these books when I was a child, and still have memories of the stupid tales that make me smile. These books are great if you have a child in the family--even more so if you are a child at heart.
Jul 30, 2008 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-14 yrs
Recommended to Marie by: I found it.
Some quirky, silly humor for kids elementary age. I always liked her books and her clueless manner.
I've only read this book out of the series, but I can tell Amelia is not just funny in this book.

Do you consider this book for a girl? Well, maybe not exactly. I liked this book and I definitely summarized the book easily. I not going to share on the review because

1. I can't remember it or where it is.

2. It would take forever to type.

I also can't go onto to Word and do copy and paste because I wrote it by hand. Anyways, this is a really good book.
An Odd1
Amelia Bedelia does her best to play baseball for the Grizzlies when Donnie has measles. In the attic, she finds a fancy admiral uniform, then starts cookies to bake. Against the Tornados, she tags Jack, puts Dick out, then grabs and holds second base tight safe against stealing. When everyone yells to run home, she scoops up all the bases and home plate to ensure a win, then speeds all the way to her kitchen for fresh cookies when her team mates arrive to celebrate.

A daisy bedecked hat tops fir
Julie Decker
Amelia Bedelia is back with her tendency to take everything literally! In this book, she actually steals bases and runs home when she's told to. You can imagine how that goes!

I didn't understand some of the baseball terminology as a child, and I was confused as to why children would want an adult who didn't know how to play on their team at all, but it's still amusing--probably more so for kids who know baseball.
Mark Baker
Baseball gets the Amelia Bedelia treatment as she agrees to help out some neighborhood boys with a game against their cross town rivals. Another funny look at how words can mean multiple things that kids and parents will enjoy.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Jun 27, 2015 Janice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5-99
I have never found a child that did not love Amelia Bedelia Books, and on this one if the children know the basic rules of baseball, they will laugh and laugh. I have a great nephew that loves this book. The giggles just roll out when he hears it. Makes everyone laugh at his laugh.
Rosa Cline
This wasn't as good as the other Amelia Bedelia books. But was still a good one, the boys help teach Amelia Bedelia to play baseball... and as always she gets things switched and turned around. But she has fun doing it and the children reading-listening will giggle along.
Ellie's vocabulary is reaching the sweet spot of being able to read most of these on her own and get most if the jokes. I think you can't progress through reading development without reading Amelia Bedelia. Imagine being 8 years old and having to use context to draw meaning out of words with five definitions, I imagine it's pretty frustrating, and Amelia provides a way to turn the frustration into humor and absurdity.

If you haven't seen, there is an online contest every year for kids to produce

That lovable and easily-confused maid, Amelia Bedelia is back for another adventure in a Level 2 I Can Read Book. Level 2 books are for children who are beginning to read on their own, but may still need help now and then.

Although not as much of a rib-tickler as some of the Amelia Bedelia books, Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia, is still a fun book for children. It is a great book for a read-aloud or for children to read on their own.

Continue reading on Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia; book revi
Crystal Frost
I absolutely adore all the Amelia Bedelia books. One of my main reasons is because I swear these books are based on my Mom. Which just makes them even more hilarious! I loved these books as a child and I love them now as an adult.
My daughter was cracking up while reading this story! I was pleased to see a few sight words that she needed to learn for the week. We will be reading more Amelia Bedelia books.
Read this to Little One tonight. Being a week old I'm not sure she totally appreciated Amelia' antics but it was a fun late night read that took me back to my childhood.
It never hurts to try new things, even if you have zero background knowledge. Children will read about giving their all with optimism, and it's okay to fail.
I usually find Amelia Badelia books fun and entertaining to read, but this particular one was not as enjoyable as I imagined it to me. The humor was pretty dry and the book did not explain the jokes and instead just moved the story right along, which I think would be confusing for younger students. The story is pretty fast paced and moves right along. The illustrations are very simple and only use a few colors. I think that the pictures could be more text enriched and colorful to interest childr ...more
My preschoolers really loved this one--the story was engaging and paced just right for them. My 3rd grader was a bit bored, though.
I can remember reading this book and looking at the pictures and really, seriously wanting to be one of the kids on the Grizzlies!
Nobody in an Amelia Bedelia book should ever be named "Dick".
This Level 2 early reader featuring the literal Amelia Bedelia is illustrated by Wallace Tripp. These are different than the Amelia Bedelia images I am used to, but still fun and quirky just as is she. The short Amelia Bedelia adventure is good on community and great for a boy reader. This is another of the three books included in the Amelia Bedelia 50th Anniversary Collection.

*Thanks to HarperCollins for providing a copy for review.*
Kaylan Nurse
I really enjoyed this one. Amelia is minding her own business and comes across boys playing baseball. She steps in to play with the team and they give her different positions. Because of her being so literal, she takes everything the boys tell her and does totally wrong! This story could be used in class on a topic of teamwork and working collaboratively with one another.
Shannon Rickert
Her books are the cutest!!
Melissa Gregory
I love all of the Amelia Bedelia books and have ever since i first started reading them when i was younger. This one is one of my top picks because of its classic humor throughout the story. I always love how Amelia takes everything so literally and in this book, when she does it is just pure comedy. This book is easy for the reader to relate to and stay engaged because it is about baseball and that iterests this age group. This is a good read for 1-4th grade.
Oh, Amelia, you and your hijinks. I had a little trouble with this as a kid because I wasn't a baseball fan and I didn't know what the words meant any more than Amelia did in some cases, and I also didn't know why a bunch of kids would really want her to be on their team, but watching her misinterpret "stealing" a base and "running home" was pretty funny. These books do a good job highlighting what a bizarre language we have.
Recommended Ages: grades 1-2

I Can Read level 2: High-interest stories for developing readers.

The Grizzlies are one player short for their big game when who steps in but everyone's favorite house-keeper, Amelia Bedelia. Always cheerful, always literal-minded, Amelia Bedelia brings new meanings to tagging a player out and stealing bases, but her unorthodox plays may just save the day.
Ideal for grades 1-3, this book uses simple language and yet another hilarious Amelia Bedelia story that takes place on the baseball field. Amelia stands and plays for a sick player and oh the interesting things that occur! When Amelia is told to run home, she literally runs home! Nobody plays ball like Amelia Bedelia but can she save the day and help the Grizzlies win their game??
  • Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia
  • Henry and Mudge and Annie's Perfect Pet (Henry and Mudge, #20)
  • Julius
  • Fancy Nancy at the Museum
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Mouse Soup
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia