Start by marking “Heralds” as Want to Read:
Heralds

Heralds

Powerful forces are converging on Earth and the women of the Marvel Universe are at the center of it! Years ago, a herald of Galactus sacrificed her life for the universe. Little did anyone realize, a shred of that spririt lived on...and now she's back for vengeance on those who abandoned her. The most powerful super heroines of the Marvel Universe must put aside their dif ...more
Published October 13th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Heralds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heralds

Jeff
Oct 04, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Sisters doing it for themselves!!

*sigh*

I hate when male comic creators throw together an assortment of heroes and expect magical things to result and if they’re women, no matter how disparate the group, it’ll work. Because they’re women, there should be some special ingredient = Estrogen (?) = character chemistry = instant camaraderie and teamwork.

I had two sisters and they never got along. If one thought she was cheated out of an extra French fry or was missing a pair of Barbie shoes – Armaged
Patrick
Dec 13, 2014 Patrick rated it it was ok
The writing was good. Unfortunately, this was one of those comics that requires you to know a lot of backstory to understand what's going on. I know a fair amount of marvel stuff, but the particular history of the Nova character is a blank to me, so a lot of this story was lost on me.
Joseph
Jan 28, 2015 Joseph rated it did not like it
*Buddy Read with the Shallow Comic Readers, theme of Pink Taco week, criteria being a book with a female lead*

description

Well, I have come to the conclusion that Kathryn Immonen is the Marvel equivalent to the New 52 Anne Nocenti. This is the third book of hers I have read in a couple of days, and they are all hard to follow, with weird, disjointed dialog, and awful characterization.

Part of the problem here is that Patsy Walker (aka Hellcat) is a part of this all-female cast. What an annoying character. T
Craig
Nov 22, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one "those" books, the ones that have a whole lot of promise and potential that is never quite realized. The start is very engaging; Scott sets up Emma with a surprise birthday party, and the character assortment should have made for a classic story but things take several turns for the confused when Frankie Raye/Nova and then the F.F. appear. The art wasn't bad, but, like the story, could have been a lot better.
Charles
Stuff I Read – Heralds by Kathryn Immonen Review

I got this book for a few reasons, not least of which was that it was on sale at the book store and I could pick it up for fairly cheap. But I had wanted to read this book for some time now, mostly because of the buzz I heard about it when it was coming out, which described it as something of an oddity. And I find that, reading it now, it is an oddity. Not because of the story, which is solidly in the realm of traditional superheroics and rather co
Raina Madison
Apr 19, 2012 Raina Madison rated it really liked it
It may seem I'm in the minority but I really loved this miniseries. I've always been a comic book reader but as I grew up I strayed away from Marvel, DC and most super hero comics in general. I'd dabble here and there but most of the characters of my youth no longer hold much interest to me beyond the nostalgia draw.

One character I really loved growing up was Frankie Raye aka the third Human Torch. She later became Nova, herald of Galactus to prevent the earth from being devoured. Nova always a
Michael Miller
Jan 29, 2016 Michael Miller rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Dean
Mar 31, 2015 Dean rated it it was ok
It was ok, but felt more like a wasted opportunity. The writing was pretty decent, especially some fun dialogue, but none of the characters really felt very 'real' to me, like their normal selves. They were caricatures to serve the plot mainly. The story was wafer-thin (hey, let's bring back Nova, the murdered ex-Herald of Galactus/ girlfriend of Johnny Storm) and not obvious to people without knowledge of previous Fantastic Four stories.
The art I found a bit too 'messy' for me, quite often char
Ashley
Jan 07, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
For a plot that didn't have much substance, it was still a lot of fun to read a story where all of the important characters are women. And they were interesting and complex, which makes a nice change, too. While not much else stood out about the story (most of the characters seem to draw on tropes, and the plot had an interesting premise that was resolved in an unsatisfying way), it was a good fluffy read and a light introduction to the Fantastic Four and some of the X-Men, and all of the charac ...more
Iain
Jul 16, 2014 Iain rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
As much as I like Immonen's writing, this is a somewhat... crowded affair, with too many characters left hanging in the background and too little space in five issues to give everyone a meaningful moment while allowing the main plot to breathe. It could, and should, have been trimmed back to a group of three or four instead of seven plus.

That's the main problem: but on the other hand, the characters selected are awesome, there are some genuinely funny moments, the main plot has some heft and em
***Dave Hill
Mar 17, 2013 ***Dave Hill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: illustrated
A lightweight romp noteworthy mostly for having an array of very different Marvel heroines (White Queen, Invisible Woman, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Hellcat, Photon, Abigail Brand) into amusing verbal byplay, while dealing with the odd kindasorta resurrection of Frankie Raye, the deceased herald of Galactus known as Nova.

That plotline never gels substantially, but listening to the rest of the women banter is entertaining enough to carry me through to the end, despite loose artwork from Tonci Zonjic. Wo
Gayle Francis Moffet
Wiki Frankie Raye, then enjoy Emma Frost, She-Hulk, Valkyrie, Sue Storm, Hellcat, Photon, and Agent Brand kicking ass and taking names for five issues. It's a delight. The art changes every issue, which bugged me, but at least they tried to make the styles mostly match.

I'm not 100% certain the whole story really holds together well, but seriously, with that line-up going out curb stomping, how do you not pick it up?
Benjamin
Aug 30, 2016 Benjamin rated it it was ok
I love that all of these great characters were thrown together but the whole time I felt that I was missing a lot of the back story. Especially with Nova and Fantastic Four, yet I haven't read much of either so maybe that is me but this volume was slim so a back story could have easily been added for first time readers.
Alex Sarll
One of those faintly inexplicable miniseries Marvel sometimes do; I'm not sure if it's a confusing read because it hinges on an obscure character of whom I was previously unaware, because of Immonen is not that fluid a storyteller, or because it has various artists of whom none seem to get all the characters right at once. Probably all three.
Gabby
I liked the idea of having an all women team. However, this book came across as very disjointed. It never seems to be completely together.
The fact that this book seems to want me to have a large amount of knowledge is also a pretty big deterrent. I have little to no knowledge of the Nova character.
Jessica
Mar 20, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Wow! Quite a surprise. It made me want to learn more about the characters involved. I was unfamiliar with one of the central characters, which may have been to my advantage.

This is one of those quirky superhero comics, embellished by indie flavored art. The banter among the women is fun and the different tones are well handled.

Tammy
Jan 29, 2011 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
I had no idea what was going on in this book, and I found the art to be unpleasantly sloppy. Kind of bothered I spent money on this one.
Katy
Jun 04, 2013 Katy rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this because of the all lady lineup but the Nova/Frankie story was a bit confusing for a Marvel noob such as myself. Great to see Emma so well written.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
minervasowl
minervasowl rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2013
Rachel Johannigmeier
Rachel Johannigmeier rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Mj
Mj rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2015
Lain
Lain rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2010
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2011
AJ
AJ rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
Chad
Chad rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
richard
richard rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2011