Start by marking “Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse #10)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  116,058 ratings  ·  4,966 reviews
After enduring torture and the loss of loved ones during the brief but deadly Fae War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's mad. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman. But he's under scrutiny by the new vampire king because of their relationship. And, as the political implications of the shifters' coming-out a ...more
Kindle Edition, Reprint edition, 322 pages
Published May 4th 2010 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Dead in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead in the Family

King Hall by Scarlett DawnVampire Academy by Richelle MeadFrostbite by Richelle MeadThe Scene by R.M. GilmoreSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Vampire Books that Are Way Better Than Twilight
61st out of 201 books — 156 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDivergent by Veronica RothThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
My Book Boyfriends
270th out of 982 books — 734 voters

More lists with this book...

Juicy Fruit
INCONSISTENT is the word for this book. That is, inconsistent with the other books.

There are just so many things that make dubious sense in a way too short book, which doesn't even take advantage of the subplots and just lets them rot and eventually spoil the book.

Not to mention that the actual plot was such a mess. Weak, really. Not a chance of any tension build-up.

I am also very bothered by the logic, which, for the most part is nonexistent.

The love scenes could have been a bit interesting, wi
Stacy
Shannan and I love, LOVE this series. It is fun, never boring, filled with entertaining mysteries and is often quite humorous…and other things I am too prudish to write.

The book starts off with a very morose Sookie, but who can blame her after being tortured, physically and mentally? Slowly, and thankfully, Sookie does return to her Sookie self. Just in time really, because all her friends are having family issues and Sookie being Sookie, she is there to help. Oh, and there is a mystery of the n
Mrs. Badass
Disappointing to say the least. The whole book was rather boring. There were a few interesting parts, but overall, I skimmed a lot because it didn't add to the plot or story, and I was very irritated with the lack of Eric and Sookie. It seemed like Harris is trying to tell us they won't end up together. With Eric's Maker telling Sookie that she'll never keep Eric, with Bill confessing more, with Alcide confessing more, With Eric being absent a lot, and no communication with Sookie for days at at ...more
The Holy Terror
Hrm. I'm not exactly sure how I felt about this one, it was just kind of meh. There were too many storylines going on and things were tied up way too neatly.

I've also come to the realization that I like Sookie and Eric better when she's fighting her attraction to him. As a couple, they've kind of lost their appeal, which is weird, because he's always been my favorite pick for her. I think Charlaine writes better sexual tension and conflict than actual sex scenes.

The title of this installment is
Chloe
Dear Charlaine Harris,

You can stop now. You have officially sucked all the life out of all of your characters and made them all eminently dislikable. I know this is your cash cow but, please, let Alan Ball take over for you and you can go and do... whatever it is that you do to occupy your time. Bake moon pies? Write Robert Pattinson fanfic? Hunt for the long-mythologized swamp weasel of South Carolina? Anything would be an improvement over you letting your imagination continue to run amok in Bo
After the last two books, I think I was expecting a little more from this book than what I got. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book and would've given it a 3.5 had it been an option.

My biggest problem is that while I know this is a clearly a transitional book, very little happens that is of consequence (if we're being set up for something big in a later book, Harris has done a poor job of building tension/momentum).

It was also very choppy, as if significant edits were made and you can see the
valee
This book was not what I expected. I waited so long for it that I just wanted more of it. I mean after all the time it took to get published, the book could have been a bit longer. Still it was much better than the previous book.

I loved to finally see Sookie and Eric in a real relationship. It seemed so natural. I was extremely happy as well because Sookie even considered how it would be to be changed into a vampire. Finally. Although she didn't give much thought to it, just a paragraph,lol, and
Kat Kennedy
Dead in the family isn't a book that you can easily judge on its own. Dead in the Family is really just a filler book between the Fairy battle of last book and the inevitable show down with the King of Louisiana and his people to come.

This makes it hard to review because, to be honest, nothing really happens. We have what I would call a short story "arc" to bridge us between what I would consider the main story. Sookie finishes up in this book much the same as she started though she has undergon
Alyssa
The Flooze
Why, oh why had I been so worried?

Displeased with Sookie’s attitude and the overall plot of Dead and Gone, I was reluctant to start Dead in the Family. Concern that the series had finally lost its luster made me hold off. I was a fool.

Dead in the Family is a wonderful addition to the Southern Vampire Mysteries. The dialogue is comfortable, the characters are true to form, and the plot rolls along steadily, touching on all the key threads that make this series a success. Harris returns to Bon Te
Jen at Reading Lark
This review is for an ARC.

I would say that Charlaine wasn't joking when she said the title for this book was very apt. It is all about family. Blood families and packs alike. I liked how each corner of the Sookieverse gets a look in, and something about that family is developed - the humans, the fairies, the weres and the vampire families all get story time.

The character of Eric is filled in wonderfully in this book, and his fans will be delighted with how he, his history, and his family are wr
Tatiana
May 22, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Sookie Stackhouse
Shelves: 2010, urban-fantasy
Charlaine Harris's books are definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. They are not great works of literature and not written terribly well, and yet I never cease to enjoy them. Same applies to this newest addition to the Sookie Stackhouse series - Dead in the Family, only this book adds another dimension to the expression "guilty pleasure," because more than any other book in this series it has a soap-operish feel to it.

For one, it is virtually impossible to give a short summary of this installment
Andreea Daia
Once upon a time there was a handsome Viking with a great sense of humor. He was no prince like the people from the realm of HBO seem to believe – just the garden variety Northman. But where he lacked in nobility he made up in boldness, generosity, and zest.

He had a perky girlfriend who was not only openhearted but gifted above all other humans with nerve, wits, and a sixth sense. They loved each other, although not always in a conventional way, and they tried hard to make their relationship wo
Trish
I read this book in a day and a half...and I tried to pace myself. I wanted more Sookie and Eric, but I ALWAYS want more Sookie and Eric!! I loved it anywho, but am eagerly awaiting book eleven...
AH
Oh, how I missed Sookie and Eric and all of the Bon Temps gang.

Charlaine Harris can sure tell a good story. She takes the most boring and mundane details of life in a small town and makes it an interesting and humorous read. I had to chuckle when a comment was made about the patrons of Merlotte’s singing Bad Things by Jace Everett so loud that Sookie couldn’t hear the conversation she was having with Sam.

So many things happen in this book. The weres are coming out and this would have been a gre
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: It's all about family ...

Sookie Stackhouse is dealing with a whole host of family problems, ranging from her own kin (a non-human fairy and a telepathic second cousin) demanding a place in her life, to her lover Eric's vampire sire, an ancient being who arrives with Eric's "brother" in tow at a most inopportune moment. And Sookie's tracking down a distant relation of her ailing neighbor (and ex), Vampire Bill Compton.

In addition to the multitude of family is
Autumn Doughton
Jamie
I could swear that the earlier books weren't this badly written. Rather than invest more time in composing a coherent review, I'm just going to make a random list of complaints:

* Lifeless writing, tons of exposition and little characterization. I thought the best bits of the writing were the phone conversations.

* The utter ruin of Eric's character. He spends this entire book being vaguely and ineffectually afraid. And the sex scenes were cringe-worthy.

* Alexei the vampire. Yes, that Alexei. I th
Poppy Fields
Dropped everything for this book! Great Mother's day gift! I enjoyed the book but it is probably my least favorite in the series so far. I was glad to be back with Sookie again. She is like an old friend now. Her personality is refreshing, charasmatic, and unique. The story, while good,just was not as exciting as previous books but it was very enjoyable to get to find out more about the history of Eric and Bill and get to know more about Claude.

I went back a month later and listened to this book
Carolyn F.
Re-reading by audiobook for 2nd time - 04/19/11 - also have hardback

Great book and ditto for the review below with maybe the reference to the Look candy bar removed. What was I thinking? Love this series and can't wait until the next book comes out - May 2011!!!!!!

PREVIOUS REVIEW - After reading this book, I remember why this series is one of my top 5 favorites. It's like the Look candy bar to me. During my pregnancy with my oldest daughter I would walk to the store each workday and buy one beca
Chloe
Jan 04, 2010 Chloe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jim
Another good book in the series. I'm amazed at how she's keeping the quality & consistency of the writing up. The series should certainly be read in order - it's a soap opera. If you don't know the history, you'll miss the emotional attachments to characters & won't understand their struggles.

Definitely worth reading for anyone who likes the series so far. I can't wait for the next!

29May11 - I read this a year ago & re-read it as part of the marathon to catch up for book 11. I wasn't
Leah
Marcia
Having followed Sookie Stackhouse's adventures since the first book was published (way back in 2001, I think), I have certain expectations from the series. This book failed to meet them completely. In fact, it was so poorly written (and plotted), I could not even finish it, skipping from here to there, as though it were a collection of disjointed short stories. My personal opinion is that since True Blood debuted on HBO, Charlaine Harris has lost her Mojo. She doesn't even seem to know who her c ...more
Nicola
I love the Sookie Stackhouse stories, but was disheartened by the ending of this book. I also thought that there was too much explaining previous storylines rather than getting on with the new story.
Becky
Abandoned.
The last book that I read by Charlaine Harris was "Grave Sight" which was beyond creepy and gross and semi-incestuous. And just plain bad.

Coming back to the Sookie series, which I had enjoyed for a while and then started to go downhill, I was hoping for at least something resembling readability. No such luck.

I couldn't even make it to the halfway point. Between Skeevy Eric calling Sookie "my lover" every 3.5 seconds, and Sookie's alluding to her gay fairy (real fairy - like from Fae
Beth F.
My memory wasn’t great in the first place and motherhood has further decimated what little I started out with. So it is unfortunate that I’m so drawn to reading series, especially the only-one-new-release-per-year kind of series like this. Because every time I pick up the latest installment I find myself in a state of bewilderment. Then I spend the beginning of this anticipated new book trying to recreate storylines from the faulty, murky depths of my sleep-deprived brain.

So without further ado
kari
Shannon C.
Dead in the Family picks up where book #9 left off. Sookie is healing and trying to deal with the emotional aftermath of the torture she faced during the Fae war. She and Eric are dating, and they are still married in the vampire way. Bill is having problems healing from the silver poisoning he got during the Fae war. Sookie has an idea to help him, but will it work? The government is looking at adding shapeshifters/weres to the national registration bill, which would limit their rights as US ci ...more
Lauren Fidler
remember back in high school when you realized it was time to move on? it was initially a little bit sad, but once you made your peace with it, inevitably three weeks before the end of school, it actually got really obnoxious that you had to condescend to wait any longer for the nightmare to end. congratulations, charlaine, you have reached that point. and, yeah, it's time to say goodbye.

fangbangin':

1. i love eric and i'm totally on his team until the end. sookie seems a little bit less convince
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4)
  • Bullet (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #19)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Tracking the Tempest (Jane True, #2)
  • Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“I hurt with you. I bled with you - not only because we're bonded but because of the love I have for you. -- Eric Northman” 224 likes
“Fuck a zombie!” 143 likes