So Say We All: Collected Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica

So Say We All: Collected Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica (Smart Pop)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The science-fiction television seriesBattlestar Galacticais known for raisingthought-provokingquestionsconcerning martial law, artificial intelligence, power and corruption, and ultimately what it means to be human.What ethical complexities come into play when one mistake could mean the anihilation of the human race? How do you maintain faith in the Gods when you're involv...more
Published September 10th 2006 by Smart Pop

Gaijinmama
Aug 10, 2012 Gaijinmama rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of BSG!
Battlestar Galactica, both the original and the recent version, are some of the best SF shows ever made and I could gush about them forever. I think it's especially cool that Richard Hatch a.k.a. the original Apollo and more recently, Tom Zarek, edited and contributed a well-written essay to this book.
I also really appreciated that the problematic aspects of both versions of the show are discussed, and one essay in particular strongly prefers the original version! As for me, I like them both for...more
Jared Millet
Benbella's "Smart Pop" imprint puts out some great little gems for scifi fans who actually like to think about what they read (and watch on tv) instead of viewing it as mere escapism. The new Galactica series provides possibly the meatiest subject that Smart Pop's tackled so far. This collection of essays by a variety of well-known fiction and tv writers delves not so much into discussing the series itself as what the show had to say about society, religion, gender roles, authority, and what "lo...more
Angela2932
The Beautiful Miss Bonnie (my 15 year old lab)has another book review for you. She's giving the whole BattleStar Gallactica series and the book, So Say We All, by Richard Hatch, four paws up and one lick of the tongue. And a little drool.

Have you been following Battlestar Gallactica??? There's only 3 episodes left, when it's all suppose to make sense, and I both can't wait, and am already grieving that the series will end. It's a complicated Science Fiction soap opera with battles and betrayals...more
Keith
The Smart Pop series is one I've been enjoying too much. Take TV shows I've enjoyed and add essays and you get a bit of a geekgasm.

The perspectives on BSG seasons 1 and 2 have been good, and its interesting to see some of the guesses as to what was coming that were right and wrong as season 3 has run since the book has come out. Three of the authors of essays are from the podcasting and podiobook world, so I was able to put their voice and personalities with the text.

The only essay that I could...more
Capella
May 30, 2010 Capella added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I'm jumping around reading essays that look interesting. It's amusing because this was published mid way through season 2 or so, and there are a lot of suppositions about the next seasons. I just finished an essay that posited that the Six in Baltar's head and the Baltar in Caprica Six's head were the result of a downloading error when Caprica used her body to protect Baltar from the bomb blast at the start of the series. Interesting theory but way off.
Rachel
I started reading this several years ago when it first came out. It was good then, but I guess I got distracted. ;) Picked it up again in a "read the things I have not read that I do own" project, plus I've been finally finishing the actual new BSG. I will say this awakened in me a desire to watch the original series, and I learned some cool stuff. Very readable essays, overall, and some of them were lots of fun! :)
Beth
I didn't finish this. Way too much philosophical techno-geek blah-blah-blah. I totally love BSG, but this just wasn't what I was looking for. I really don't need to read 25 essays about whether or not the Cylons have true consciousness, or analyzing the theoretical framework of Commander Adama's military philosophy.
Mark
Nov 10, 2012 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
There are some really great essays in here, very deep and thought-provoking. There's only one I couldn't get around to reading because it's fundamentally wrong (MUAG - SIC Briefing). If you know the ending of the series, you can probably guess what I'm talking about.
Meg
Jul 28, 2008 Meg added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I tried to finish this book, but couldn't get past the first few essays. Don't get me wrong, I love me some BSG; however, I feel that a lot of the essays don't hold so true now (a couple seasons after they were written).
Michael Keyser
Highly disappointing. The authors revealed little that wasn't obvious to a fan of the show. I needed and wanted far better and deeper analysis.
Jessica
While I'm generally a fan of academic essays on pop culture/media, this collection seems unorganized and generally poorly written.
Dena
A great book of essays on an amazing series.
William Herbst
Decent set of essays on an outstanding show.
Robby
Robby marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Michael Giovinco
Michael Giovinco is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Martin Milhomme
Martin Milhomme marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Jenn
Jenn is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
Michele
Michele is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2014
Holli
Holli marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Armageddon (Battlestar Galactica, #1) Warhawk (Battlestar Galactica, #2) Resurrection (Battlestar Galactica, #3) Paradis (Battlestar Galactica, #5) Rebellion (Battlestar Galactica, #4)