Start by marking “So Say We All: Collected Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica” as Want to Read:
So Say We All: Collected Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica

So Say We All: Collected Thoughts and Opinions on Battlestar Galactica (Smart Pop)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The science-fiction television seriesBattlestar Galacticais known for raisingthought-provokingquestionsconcerning martial law, artificial intelligence, power and corruption, and ultimately what it means to be human.What ethical complexities come into play when one mistake could mean the anihilation of the human race? How do you maintain faith in the Gods when you're involv ...more
Published September 10th 2006 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about So Say We All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Say We All

Aug 10, 2012 Gaijinmama rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of BSG!
Battlestar Galactica, both the original and the recent version, are some of the best SF shows ever made and I could gush about them forever. I think it's especially cool that Richard Hatch a.k.a. the original Apollo and more recently, Tom Zarek, edited and contributed a well-written essay to this book.
I also really appreciated that the problematic aspects of both versions of the show are discussed, and one essay in particular strongly prefers the original version! As for me, I like them both for
Jared Millet
Benbella's "Smart Pop" imprint puts out some great little gems for scifi fans who actually like to think about what they read (and watch on tv) instead of viewing it as mere escapism. The new Galactica series provides possibly the meatiest subject that Smart Pop's tackled so far. This collection of essays by a variety of well-known fiction and tv writers delves not so much into discussing the series itself as what the show had to say about society, religion, gender roles, authority, and what "lo ...more
The Beautiful Miss Bonnie (my 15 year old lab)has another book review for you. She's giving the whole BattleStar Gallactica series and the book, So Say We All, by Richard Hatch, four paws up and one lick of the tongue. And a little drool.

Have you been following Battlestar Gallactica??? There's only 3 episodes left, when it's all suppose to make sense, and I both can't wait, and am already grieving that the series will end. It's a complicated Science Fiction soap opera with battles and betrayals
The Smart Pop series is one I've been enjoying too much. Take TV shows I've enjoyed and add essays and you get a bit of a geekgasm.

The perspectives on BSG seasons 1 and 2 have been good, and its interesting to see some of the guesses as to what was coming that were right and wrong as season 3 has run since the book has come out. Three of the authors of essays are from the podcasting and podiobook world, so I was able to put their voice and personalities with the text.

The only essay that I could
Disappointing uneven from the ST-centric SF world. "Reporters In Space", in particular, seems to have been written in an alternate time stream where BABYLON 5 and its portrayal of "ISN" never existed.
May 30, 2010 Capella added it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I'm jumping around reading essays that look interesting. It's amusing because this was published mid way through season 2 or so, and there are a lot of suppositions about the next seasons. I just finished an essay that posited that the Six in Baltar's head and the Baltar in Caprica Six's head were the result of a downloading error when Caprica used her body to protect Baltar from the bomb blast at the start of the series. Interesting theory but way off.
I started reading this several years ago when it first came out. It was good then, but I guess I got distracted. ;) Picked it up again in a "read the things I have not read that I do own" project, plus I've been finally finishing the actual new BSG. I will say this awakened in me a desire to watch the original series, and I learned some cool stuff. Very readable essays, overall, and some of them were lots of fun! :)
Quinton Baran
This is an interesting collection of essays discussing primarily the Sci-Fi series Battlestar Galactica, although the original is also discussed as well. I found these essays to be entertaining and exploratory of concepts discussed in the show. These essays come from a viewpoint of seeing seasons 1 and 2, and they include spoilers.
I didn't finish this. Way too much philosophical techno-geek blah-blah-blah. I totally love BSG, but this just wasn't what I was looking for. I really don't need to read 25 essays about whether or not the Cylons have true consciousness, or analyzing the theoretical framework of Commander Adama's military philosophy.
Nov 10, 2012 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
There are some really great essays in here, very deep and thought-provoking. There's only one I couldn't get around to reading because it's fundamentally wrong (MUAG - SIC Briefing). If you know the ending of the series, you can probably guess what I'm talking about.
Jul 28, 2008 Meg added it
Shelves: non-fiction
I tried to finish this book, but couldn't get past the first few essays. Don't get me wrong, I love me some BSG; however, I feel that a lot of the essays don't hold so true now (a couple seasons after they were written).
Michael Keyser
Highly disappointing. The authors revealed little that wasn't obvious to a fan of the show. I needed and wanted far better and deeper analysis.
While I'm generally a fan of academic essays on pop culture/media, this collection seems unorganized and generally poorly written.
Interesting read for fans (or not!) of Battlestar Galactica.
A great book of essays on an amazing series.
William Herbst
Decent set of essays on an outstanding show.
Faith E.
Faith E. marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Eleni Konstantine
Eleni Konstantine marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Stacia added it
Nov 01, 2015
Kathryn Merlin
Kathryn Merlin marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Hanna-Lee Harjono
Hanna-Lee Harjono marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Thanh Ashman
Thanh Ashman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Katbyrdie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Nicholas Rodriguez
Nicholas Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Sissi is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Kels marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Richard Lawrence Hatch (born May 21, 1945, in Santa Monica, California) is an American actor, writer, and producer best known for his role as Captain Apollo in the original Battlestar Galactica television series, and also as Tom Zarek in the 2003 remake of Battlestar Galactica.
More about Richard Hatch...

Smart Pop (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
  • The Anthology at the End of the Universe: Leading Science Fiction Authors on Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Batman Unauthorized: Vigilantes, Jokers, and Heroes in Gotham City
  • The Battle for Azeroth: Adventure, Alliance, And Addiction Insights into the World of Warcraft
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek
  • Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest
  • Farscape Forever! Sex, Drugs and Killer Muppets
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage, and Starting Over in J. J. Abrams' Lost (Smart Pop series)
  • Grey's Anatomy 101: Seattle Grace, Unauthorized