Start by marking “Slow Motion: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Slow Motion: A True Story

Slow Motion: A True Story

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  716 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Dani Shapiro, a young woman from a deeply religious home, became the girlfriend of a famous and flamboyant married attorney-her best friend's stepfather. The moment Lenny Klein entered her life, everything changed: she dropped out of college, began drinking, and neglected her friends and family. But then came a phone call-an accident on a snowy road had left her parents cr ...more
Published July 7th 1998 by Random House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Motion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Motion

Judy
This book came highly recommended to me, and I made the mistake of reading reviews before reading the book. And after reading the book, I can only wonder if the other reviewers read the same thing that I did.

This is nothing but a big whine. Poor me. Look at all these horrible things that happened to me. Wah wah wah. It's the story of a privileged woman making a lot of really stupid and narcissistic choices in her life, and then blaming the world for the way things turned out. There's no introspe
Joan Winnek
This book redeemed itself. Maybe only a person who has reformed can be so honest about how awful she once was (a person I found highly irritating). Appropriately, the narrative focuses on the parents' accident and the transformation that brought about in the writer. I wish, however, more detail about her return to college and the beginning of her writing career had been included. The denouement of Lenny is given too much weight, after it was such a relief when she finally detached herself from h ...more
Ellenjsmellen
Could not put this down. What a story. Anybody else a Dani Shapiro fan? I'm going to read Picturing the Wreck next.
TC
Mar 10, 2012 TC rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: memoir
A well-written memoir of a NYC-area Jewish woman starting her adulthood in the 80's as a coked-out, bulimic, alcoholic, college-dropout mistress of an older, powerful, and well-known lawyer whose career and persona defined 80's excesses (here called "Lenny Klein," but without doubt the infamous disgraced litigator Harvey Myerson). The author is faced with a personal tragedy that forces her to re-examine her life's decisions and her unfulfilled childhood, and it is in this context she relates bot ...more
If you want to read a memoir about being the other woman that unfolds like the proverbial train wreck, here you go. The book is a good, compelling read, and you can see the author is putting her MFA to good use. My main quibble with it is her tendency to depict the events as things that just happened to her and were beyond her control.
Karen
A stunning prequel to the writer she would become. You will not like her, or the story she tells, but the redemption and fulfillment is foretold.
Judy Mann
This is a stupid stupid book. First you take money- endless amounts of money out of this book, then you take how spellbindingly pretty the author thinks she is- you take those two things out of the book and what have you got left? Nothing. Bupkis Zero..
This is a major epic length whine by a poor little rich girl that makes me want to wretch.
She spends endless amounts of time telling us how her looks have made her..desirable. Now right here I have no choice but to say- how catty as it might seem
Deborah
I'd like to give this book a rating of 2, but because I know that ten years ago, my early twenties self would have rated it a 5, I split the difference and settled on 3.

23-year-old me would have relished this memoir, but 33-year-old me no longer thinks Elizabeth Wurtzel is the best writer of her generation and is not so enamored with addiction and/or depression memoirs anymore.

In her early twenties, Dani Shapiro is a college dropout, failed model/actress, cocaine addict, alcoholic, mistress of
Sarah B.
I liked this book, it was a quick and exciting read. I agree with other reviewers that it had many problems: first, by leaving out some important personal history (i.e. her first marriage), I think we get the wrong idea about who the author is in this book. Secondly, it is pretty much the story of how a highly privileged person in her 20s was forced out of adolescence by her parents' car accident. It's hard to muster much sympathy for someone whose real problem is that she is basically still a t ...more
Callie
I give it a four start "really liked this book" rating b/c I have been missing reading memoirs and her life is so different than mine, how could I not be entranced? She was the mistress of some rich powerful New York lawyer for four years. She's from a wealthy Jewish family and she was an only child, and then in the middle of this affair she's having, her parents are in a car wreck (this happens at the beginning of the book) which starts her on a path to putting her life back on course, because ...more
Sarah Hine
After reading Shapiro's recently published "Devotion," I went back to some of her earlier work as I found her writing to be well-crafted, balanced, thoughtful, engaging and enjoyable. Slow Motion, another memoir, was very similar in kind to "Devotion," but eminently readable, and a serious page turner - I started it on the train in the morning and absolutely devoured it, even staying up until 2 a.m. to finish it!
Michelle Bouchor
I'm so glad Dani Shapiro wrote an autobiography. It's always entertaining to read about the author from their own words. I was glad to see that she didn't have any "Everything is awful and none of it is my fault" times. She did make some bad decisions, but she took full responsibility for them, knowing she had the power to change. I thought it was quite honest and I'm glad I picked it up.
Paula
I think most of us do foolish things in our twenties. Some of us are still doing them. But I give Dani Shapiro high marks for so candidly sharing her foolishness with us. With courage and stark frankness, Dani talks about her growing up years as the only daughter of twice-before married parents, raised in the Jewish faith. She describes a quiet, tense world where the undercurrent of conversations her parents never had were louder than any shouting match could have been. Her foolishness begins wi ...more
Ann
A memoir about a parent's death that includes her recovery from alcoholism and a terrible affair with her best friend's step father (who ends up being a crook). It's a pretty upper class/exclusive world that I didn't connect with.
Danielle
Apr 26, 2010 Danielle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deep, own
The original subtitle is "A memoir of a life rescued by tragedy." Not sure when I'll be brave enough to read this book, but I picked it up at the Dollar Table at the Strand, so it's waiting for me when I get up the nerve.
Angeld01
Really good. Amazing writer. Even though Dani was a mess in this book, and would have been unlikeable in many ways; she writes so well that you have compassion for her imperfections and those around her.
Ann
Shapiro's account of her life as a young woman who's struggle with substance abuse came to and end with her parent's tragic car accident that killed her father....a true story of transformation...
Barbara
I recommend this memoir All The Time. Because Shapiro is namely a novelist, it's a great study in how to write a memoir with a shape and with drama. I love the voice and the writing in this book.
Beth
Just read this one recently, it is a fast read. I seem to like these memoirs! This is another really well written one, that has you going, wow this really happened!!
Haley
Beautifully written, very poetic, amazingly artistic language. A haunting story about the danger of sublimating your self completely to another.
Nancy Rossman
There is so much in the beginning to not like about the narrator: she is from good (Jewish) family ... loving and supportive, she is a knock out beauty, smart ... and yet, she is snorting and drinking her way into destruction with a married man twice her age. It is hard to root for her, I wanted to shake her skinny bones till they broke.

And there is a lot of time devoted to this destructive period. It was disgusting. Then she gets her act together, although, it seems rushed and Hollywood. A book
Tsa
Enjoying it thus far :)

Liked it- she's a great writer/storyteller. I really enjoy her writing style.
Meg
forget joan didion, dani shapiro does grief right.
Tammie Vannoord
Couldn't put this one down!
linnea
I adored this memoir.
Betsy McCullen
A beautifully written story. I loved it!! I came across this book while grieving my father's death. The author examines her life after a terrible accident which prompts her to examine her lifestyle, alcohol/drug use and family. I found so much of myself in here about grieving. Her honesty and humor will have me reading all her books.
Pamela
Unflinching look at a pivotal time in one woman's life. Sharpio doesn't let herself off easy in this memoir. While it's true she does come from a privileged background, there are universal stories of loss questionable decisions and retribution. Highly recommend.
Tina
Dani writes with such depth I feel it is happening to me. Love everything I've read of hers

"One of the few gifts of spending so many years doing the wrong thing is the clarity with which I can see when something is right"

"But today, something begins to shift. I see that there might be some way I can take the raw material of my life and transform it into something that transcends my own experience. I can organize the noise on my head into something that has order and structure. I can make sense o
Elle
I read this book in one day, its a very quick interesting read. I like the author's writing style which is crisp and engaging. I've also read another of this author's books, Devotion, and would recommend reading this book first. Leads to a better understanding of the author's development.
Sara
I learned about this book after hearing the author read a portion of it on an old podcast of This American Life. I was intrigued. The section was about her affair with a married high-powered lawyer that was also the father of her best friend. The book was about so much more, her childhood in a jewish (half orthodox) home and the tragic car accident her parents were in that kicks off the book. She's able to jump back and forth in time with a strong narrative.

I read the book in just a couple days
  • Hats & Eyeglasses: A Family Love Affair with Gambling
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • Please Excuse My Daughter: A Memoir
  • Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right in All the Wrong Places, A Memoir
  • Dumbfounded: Big Money. Big Hair. Big Problems. Or Why Having It All Isn't for Sissies.
  • The Sky Isn't Visible from Here: Scenes from a Life
  • Drunkard: A Hard-Drinking Life
  • The Journal Keeper: A Memoir
  • Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories
  • Rockabye: From Wild to Child
  • Home Before Dark
  • Tales from the Bed
  • On the Couch
  • Lighting Up: How I Stopped Smoking, Drinking, and Everything Else I Loved in Life Except Sex
  • Atlas of the Human Heart
  • Madeleine's Ghost
  • This I Know: Notes on Unraveling the Heart
  • One More Theory about Happiness: A Memoir
Dani Shapiro is the author of five novels and the best-selling memoir Slow Motion. She has also written for magazines such as The New Yorker and Elle.

She lives with her husband and young son in Litchfield County, Connecticut.
More about Dani Shapiro...
Family History Devotion: A Memoir Still Writing: The Perils and Pleasures of a Creative Life Black & White Picturing the Wreck