Start by marking “Sister, Sister” as Want to Read:
Sister, Sister

Sister, Sister

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,096 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Sassy, comical, and true-to-life, Sister, Sister tells the tale of three young African-American women--perky wife Valerie, scheming social worker Inda, and broken-hearted flight attendant Chiquita--and how their lives are coming together, and apart, in Los Angeles. Fresh and in-your-face, this witty novel depicts a world where women sometimes have to alter their dreams, bu ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Signet Book (first published 1996)

Winter Sophia Rose
Hilarious, Realistic, Heart Warming,Touching, Hot, Eye Opening & Addictive! An Awesome Read! I Loved It!
Chivon
Apr 08, 2011 Chivon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy the book enough to finish the whole thing and even enough to want to read another book by Eric Jerome Dickey. But for some reason, sometimes the characters bothered me, I got tired of the sistuh gurl references all the time. Some of the book was corny, other parts were good. It was a waiting to exhale type of book about two sisters, their brother, and a friend. Their love life's and friendships.
Cynthia
Set in sunny Los Angeles, two unlikely women bond after discovering each have been in a "relationship" with the same man. Inda solid career as a social worker, absolutely the comedian of the group, but a divorce has made her antsy about men and flight attendant Chiquita dealing with mama abandonment issues (very intense visit with her mother). Sub-story, Inda's younger sister Valerie faced with a problematic marriage, but wife is the only thing she believes she knows how to do. Sister, Sister is ...more
Black Carrie
Oct 30, 2015 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great story about women and sisterhood and how some of us need to behave in certain situations. Eric Jerome gives such great descriptions of the characters and their lives you feel like you're apart of the story. I love E.J.D late work his new stuff just does not hold my attention like the older ones . . . Inda & Valerie were my favorite characters from the book !!! Chiquta just did not hold my attention like the other two did there was not enough of her in the story I'm sure ...more
Debbie
Mar 08, 2010 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two sisters in their late 20s or early 30s have trouble with their men. Their parents were one black and one white so one sister is light skinned and known as Red, the other dark skin and known as Black. They have a brother called Brown--you figure it out. Anyway, Black meets another young woman on the steps of her boyfriends house. Inside they find the mutual boyfriend in bed with a third woman. Black and Chiquita bond over this incident and go out and party. Red, on the other hand, has a real ...more
T Neff
Jun 16, 2014 T Neff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an inspiring story! It was a page turner from beginning to end. I really enjoyed it. It was spiritually touching. If you like books like this, you should also "Under the Peach Tree" by Charlay Marie.
Key
Sep 11, 2012 Key rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ejd, completed-books
Where do I start? This book gives a great insight, for the most part, into black women struggles within relationships. Chiquita's story brought tears to my eyes because of the relationship with her 'birth' mother. Inda represents the scorn black women due to her trials & tribulations with her past encounter with men. Valerie transformed from a hopeless romantic to a realist when it comes to love. Walter? She handled that situation well!
I read this book again because Valerie's chapter abou
J
Jul 18, 2011 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(FROM JACKET)Meet Valerie. She became the perfect wife to please a husband whose career-along with their marriage-has gone nowhere. Meet Inda. Valerie's divorced sister. Her new man has a hard body, smooth moves-and another girlfriend on the side. Then there's Chiquita. She thinks she's found the ideal man in Inda and Valerie's brother. But has she? Really? Three women. One's looking for passion. One's hot for revenge. And one's searching for something else entirely.
Totally fresh, true to life,
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice story about the dilemmas of relationships with men. These lady were funny but at the same story very enjoyable to read. Nice work by Eric Jerome Dickey
Tye
Nov 20, 2015 Tye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, audiobooks
This was a good book. I missed some of it because disc 2 of the CD wouldn't play, but I just went straight to disc 3.

Funny, entertaining, and really relatable.
Patrice Lanette
Very light, simple & entertaining. A good read with some twists, turns and a bit of comedy. Very on the surface (not too deep). Well-written.
Lisa A. Jackson
Jan 24, 2015 Lisa A. Jackson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring!!!!

This book rambled on & on endlessly with no meaning whatsoever!!!!! It was a huge waist of time for sure!!!
George
Sep 03, 2013 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lacpl-ebook, ipad
Very Engaging Storytelling.

Often cute, sometimes silly, but always engaging, SISTER, SISTER: A Novel, by Eric Jerome Dickey, is a quick and easy, fun and enjoyable, summertime read, with quirky characters that grow on you. Although not quite up to the riotous wit and whimsy of THE SUPREMES AT EARL'S ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT, by Edward Kelsey Moore, it comes close.

Recommendation: Sister, Sister is a very entertaining read--especially for anyone familiar with Southern California. The locations in this nove
Teaguem2005
May 28, 2013 Teaguem2005 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book about sisters Valerie and Inda. Both are in questionable relationships; one married and the other attached. Their story flows freely and chapters alternate from one to the other.

I'm not really sure why the author chose to focus so much on complexion in this story but the characters seem to take notice of everyone's shade even when it is totally irrelevant to what is actually occurring in the story. Perhaps it was a, way of demonstrating the result of their father inadvertently teaching the
Rakeesha
Mar 10, 2016 Rakeesha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book I ever read by him and it got me hooked. I haven't looked back since.
Cleondra Ortega
Jan 26, 2016 Cleondra Ortega rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom made me read this. Loved it. This is what made me fall in love with this author.
Tina
Oct 07, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. My primary issue is going from first person to third person and back.
Kayla Berdis
Sep 14, 2015 Kayla Berdis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three sisters, three different scenarios, loved it.
Diana
Jun 19, 2012 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-men
Wow. I don't know what is going on with me but I have been picking the worst books to read lately and this one tops the list. These women... what make Eric Jerome Dickey think that women act like this? This was some of the most unbelievable mess I have ever read. The voices were weak, the characters were weak and one dimensional, and when I finished, I was like... what exactly was the point of this book? Fail.
Stasha
Mar 10, 2011 Stasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first read an Eric Jerome Dickey novel about seven years ago, I was eager to read more of his by the time I finished it...however a lot has changed in seven years, and by the time I was finished with this book, I was kind of disappointed ---at times, I found that it was rather far fetched. It seemed a bit silly at times, but it made the story all the more amusing and heartwarming.
Meave
Dec 26, 2009 Meave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
haha. Walter. Thank God Valerie left him. He was a self-obsessed jerk--in the beginning, Valerie was getting on my nerves putting up with his lame self.

I really wanted a Valerie & Daniel hook up for forever, but I guess it's more important for Valerie to find herself. Walter took much from her life.

I LOVED INDA! Enough said.
Sandra.
Sep 05, 2011 Sandra. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing novel about three women determined to make it against the odds. Valerie, Chiquita and Inda deal with real life issues and learn some powerful lessons in the process. Through it all, they knew that no matter what happened, they can always depend on each other. A very realistic read, I highly recommend it.
Rohan
Jul 07, 2008 Rohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
There's alot to learn about life and i say this because i'm a young Black Man.So what Eric writes lives in all our live if not with us,then our friends our Familys.But its how we live.The way we see life.do you live for you,or in the eyes of others.<>
Lanetta
Jul 06, 2009 Lanetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sister, Sister was an enjoyable read. I like the sister relationship between Inda and Valerie. I also like the character Valerie because of her choice in freeing herself from the storm that she has suffered. Chiquita's story was sad and heart-warming at the same time.
Christiana Harrell
This was one of the first books that I read and it was the reason I kept on looking for more books to read. I even decided to start writing because of this book. It was absolutely amazing!
Misty
Mar 20, 2011 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Do not remember what happen in this book. It has been a long time since I read it. However, the note I wrote in the book said that it was good. Therefore, I guess I will rate it as so.
Danielle
This book was a little corny. I really didn't like how the author made a big deal about Skin Color in this Book (Light vs Dark Skin).
Nje
Oct 18, 2011 Nje rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book I read from EJD. I like the way he writes. The sttings of his books and just the way african american life on the East Coast is. I love his writing :)))
Bernadette
This was an entertaining read. The plot development is typical for Eric Dickey. Once I read a couple of his books, I never read another because they are similar.
  • And This Too Shall Pass
  • Leslie
  • Men Cry in the Dark
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Disappearing Acts
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...

“Brotha needed to buy a vowel and rent a verb, then get a roll of duct tape slapped on that broken English.” 0 likes
“I mean, I am human, got feelings and desires, and might ultimately want the same thang, but can I get a moment of mental stimulation first?” 0 likes