Start by marking “1812 : Jeremy and the General” as Want to Read:
1812 : Jeremy and the General

1812 : Jeremy and the General

Jeremy Fields is fifteen. His parents are dead, and his family's farm has been stolen from him. He sets out on the road to York, not knowing what his future will be and not really caring. So it comes as a surprise to Jeremy - and everyone else - when he finds himself in the British army, batman to General Isaac Brock, and in the middle of a war.

The year is 1812. The Americ
Library Binding, 172 pages
Published October 1st 1991 by Maxwell Macmillan Canada (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about 1812 , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1812

Randy
Set at the beginning of the War of 1812, this seemed to be an appropriate book to read, as it would help me with the teaching of this period in history. Like so many books, the beginning quickly throws the main character, Jeremy, into conflict with his family and leaves him with nothing. When the opportunity comes to join the army, Jeremy takes the opportunity and thus begins his adventure.

I picked this book up because of the historical connection to the curriculum.

I finished the book because I
Micha
I'd read this book before it was assigned in class and associated that with the reason why I enjoyed it when my classmates hated it. The running theory was (and is to some extent true) that books are fun as long as you don't have to read them. Again, it strikes me as so important for young Canadians to have Canadian stories available to them. It was also important to know that "batman" meant something other than a caped comic-book vigilante.

The weird thing was that I could never tell if I had a
Dawn

Setting:
Location - Queenston Heights, Upper Canada
Time Period - 1812

Review

Newly orphaned and swindled out of his rightful inheritance by his greedy uncle, fifteen-year-old Jeremy has no way to support himself. Full of resentment he sets off to the city of York to make his own way in the world. When a bridge collapses beneath him a passing regiment of British soldiers rescue him. With no other prospects, Jeremy lie
Erika
This is one of those books I read in middle school I decided to revisit again. I was completely fascinated by the War of 1812 in middle school so I loved that there was actually a book about it for my age bracket. Reading it now, I think there is something lacking. Perhaps an even stronger moral lesson about war in general was needed. I enjoyed reading about General Brock, of course. He seems something of a legend reading history books and it was nice to see him from this point of view. Overall ...more
rabbitprincess
Nov 29, 2009 rabbitprincess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: teacher
This book may have been better had my teacher at the time not insisted on reading the whole thing aloud to us. We were in middle school, for pete's sake, and were more than capable of reading to ourselves (and for those who couldn't, that's what extra help from the teacher is for). Also, she got way more engaged with the characters than we did... so that was weird for us. No good memories from this book.
Jeel
This book is about Jeremy Fields, 15 year old boy who joins the war of 1812. He started put to be on the lower level of the war. General Issac Brook needed a new batman. Which simply means that he needed his own servant or assistant who would help General Brook send messages during the war. Jeremy has learnt a lot from the General Brook. Will Jeremy survive the war? Read the book to find more about it!!
Simon
Mar 18, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember much about the book but I do remember being on the edge of my seat and wondering what was going to happen next. I had to keep going and wasn't happy until it was over.
I plan to re-read it in the future. After that I will be able to give a far better review.
Diana Sandberg
Well done. An account from the point of view of a fictional colonial 15yo who joins up with the army and becomes Brock's batman in 1812. Well written, a good story first but also sheds light on the events of that time. Nominally a kids' book, but it kept me reading.
Darcie
Darcie rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Brendon Haithcock
Sep 19, 2011 Brendon Haithcock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-earlier
This was a good book, started out slow, but near the end I couldn't get enough.
Ravachol
Ravachol rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2014
Wing Yee
Wing Yee rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2012
Laura Heyns
Laura Heyns rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2014
Aranpreet
Aranpreet rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Thomas Giorno
Thomas Giorno rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2016
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Hillary
Hillary rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2014
Mr. Yolo
Mr. Yolo rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Riley
Riley rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2011
Taty
Taty rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2014
David Marsh
David Marsh rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2009
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
John Ibbitson (born 1955 in Gravenhurst, Ontario) is a Canadian writer and journalist. He is currently Ottawa Bureau Chief for The Globe and Mail. He has written three books on Ontario and Canadian politics - Promised Land: Inside the Mike Harris Revolution (1997), Loyal No More: Ontario's Struggle for a Separate Destiny, and The Polite Revolution: Perfecting the Canadian Dream (McClelland & S ...more
More about John Ibbitson...