Start by marking “The Story of the Jack O'Lantern” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Jack O'Lantern

The Story of the Jack O'Lantern

On Halloween night, we dress up in costumes, go trick-or-treating, and carve jack-o'-lanterns. But what is really behind these holiday traditions?

It all started with a greedy man named Jack, who made a pact with the wrong person. When it comes time for Jack to repay his debt, the deal doesn't quite end as he expected. . . .

Katherine Tegen weaves together legend and tr

Published July 27th 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Jack O'Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Jack O'Lantern

Eden
I think the story could have been a bit more detailed, but it was nice overall. Liked the illustrations, especially those of the Jack O'Lanterns.
Elizabeth S
Aug 20, 2015 Elizabeth S rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture, e-short, l-lib
The story was a little vague, but the illustrations were awesome.
Jeani
Oct 23, 2016 Jeani rated it liked it
My daughter said this book was amazing... she said it gave her chills and that she's going to think of it for a long time. [She's 6!]
Brittiny
Jul 15, 2015 Brittiny rated it it was ok
The Sotry of the Jack O'Lantern by Katherine Tegen is in the traditional tale category. This uses an Irish folk tale to explain why we make jack o'lanterns during Halloween. I personally did not enjoy this story too much. I found it creepy that Jack had to deal with the devil. I did not like that Jack is such a dark character. What I do not understand is why we would want to remember this story, much less carve pumpkins each Halloween to bring the story back to life. If I used this for teaching, ...more
Mary
This is an Irish folktale about the beginnings of Halloween and the tradition of carving pumpkins. Like most fairy tales, there is some fear woven into the story, so it would be better read to older children or those who don't get frightened easily. There is talk of death, the devil, and scaring evil things away on Halloween night. The pictures are wonderful and would be good for a group or individual setting.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
I read this to my four year old daughter and we both enjoyed it. Based loosely on the ancient Irish legend of Jack who was too bad for Heaven and too wicked for Hell. Instead of the turnip from the legend she used a pumpkin which though understandable is not part of the original legend. The pictures were very well done which made up a little for the story.
Judy Desetti
Apr 02, 2016 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Use this one for 3rd-4th graders to talk about folklore. This is a little creepy about how Jack was an evil person who was tricked by the devil and now eternally walks the earth with a turnip/pumpkin.
Heather
Nov 12, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Not a winner for us. I liked the story a little more when I read it was based on Irish tales. I don't think the suggested age range (3-8) is appropriate (it's too scary for three-year-olds; 5-8 would be better).
Ellen
Possibly a little dark for small children, but I did enjoy the retelling of the legend and the illustrations too.
Andrea Wilkinson
Oct 22, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Although I wasn't overly fond of this fable about how the jack o'lantern came to be, I enjoyed the beautifully colored illustrations.
Laurie
Oct 19, 2014 Laurie rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, 2014
I read about the first sentence to my kids. Not age appropriate for two preschoolers at all. Rather disturbing for even me.
Karen
Oct 12, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
The legend of how Jack O'Lanterns came to be - such a fun story, great illustrations. Perfect read-aloud for this time of year!
melissa
melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Jean-Marie
Jean-Marie rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Rachel
Oct 08, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, stars-3
I liked it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Yara
Yara rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2010
Jaqui
Jaqui rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
ChrisHughes
ChrisHughes rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2016
Luke
Luke rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2012
Hannahlily
Hannahlily rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2010
Lexie
Lexie rated it did not like it
Oct 28, 2014
Riley Finn
Riley Finn rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2013
Boni
Boni rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Heather Jo
Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Booboo
Booboo rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013