Start by marking “Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Stories

Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Stories

Maggie is an astonishing novel of social realism, which parallels many of today's ills. Set in the urban squalor of New York in the 1890's,it follows the careers of the innocent Maggie and her brother Jimmie, children of brutal and drunken parents. It is a tour-de-force equal to The Red Badge of Courage.

Also included in this volume are seven of Stephen Crane's short storie
Published 2005 by Wordsworth Editions (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Maggie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie

Hugo Emanuel
Feb 19, 2015 Hugo Emanuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Stephen Crane parece ser um autor pouco conhecido para além da sua terra natal (EUA). Eu próprio nada sabia sobre a sua obra para além do facto de este ter sido o autor do famoso conto (na América, pelo menos) "The Red Badge of Courage", que nunca li. No entanto, a sinopse impressa no verso desta edição capturou-me o interesse e, uma vez que se tratava de um volume tão barato, decidi-me a adquiri-lo. Foi um feliz achado. Os contos de Crane são relativamente invulgares - não nos temas sobre que e ...more
Robin Friedman
Aug 07, 2013 Robin Friedman rated it it was amazing
I have read Steven Crane's short novel, "Maggie: A Girl of the Streets" many times over the years and returned to read it again recently together with Crane's more famous book, "The Red Badge of Courage." Crane wrote "Maggie" in 1891 at the age of 21 and published the book at his own expense in 1893 under the pseudonym Johnston Smith. Some famous writers, including William Dean Howells praised "Maggie" enthusiastically, but for the most part the book was indifferently received.

I have always care
Jul 19, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The character of Maggie I found sketchy but Crane's
description of the depressing poverty and the street
life of the Bowery of the 1890s is brilliantly brought
to life. Throughout the novel Maggie retains her goodness
and innocence (her little brother Jimmie is already a
seasoned street fighter) and when she meets Pete she
believes he is her white knight - but how wrong she is.
Considering the very similar endings, maybe W. Somerset
Maugham must have been influenced by this book when he
wrote his very p
Jeff Price
This must have been sensational when it was first published due to powerful description of a dysfunctional family's daily battle with alcohol abuse.
I would think "Maggie" and "Days of Wine and Roses" are compulsory reading for the Temperance Society.
These stories were, as with most short story collections, a bit of a mixed bunch. Some I liked (The Monster, His New Mittens), some not so much.
Overall the book was ok, but I felt like I was missing something. Half of the stories just left me feeling confused and like "What the...?".
The title story Maggie started off really well, with Maggie and her brother as children. I thought I was going to enjoy it, but then it jumped ahead to when Maggie was grown up and it just went a bit weird.
I liked
Jim Wolf
I read this short story and enjoyed Crane's language immensely. The writing seems so much more colorful, creative and interesting than what I read in The Red Badge of Courage (which was not at all bad). Such as, "The sailors charged three times upon the plate-glass front of the saloon, and when they had finished, it looked as if it had been the victim of a rural fire company's success in saving it from the flames." Lots of gorgeous stuff in this short story, "A Man and Some Others."
1) Maggie
13) The Price of the Harness
14) Virtue in War
15) The Second Generation
16) Death and the Child
Melissa rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2013
Karen Gerstle
Karen Gerstle rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2015
Yuhang Yuan
Yuhang Yuan rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Tiffany rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
April Rose (Arabella)
April Rose (Arabella) rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2013
Teigan Kosel
Teigan Kosel rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Ira rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2007
Dennis rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Stephen rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2015
Conor Copeland
Conor Copeland rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2016
Constantinos rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
skyswept rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Anthony rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Olivia rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2014
koopa rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Brianna Leandre
Brianna Leandre rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
Sophie rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Christian Mckenna
Christian Mckenna rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Zoe Edwards
Zoe Edwards rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Jan rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Stephen Crane was an American novelist, poet and journalist, best known for the novel Red Badge of Courage. That work introduced the reading world to Crane's striking prose, a mix of impressionism, naturalism and symbolism. He died at age 28 in Badenweiler, Baden, Germany.

More about Stephen Crane...

“But as the girl timidly accosted him, he gave a convulsive movement and saved his
respectability by a vigorous side-step. He did not risk it to save a soul. For how was he to
know that there was a soul before him that needed saving?”