Start by marking “My Brother's Book” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Book

Jo-Anne Richards

My Brother's Book

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
'My Brother's Book' tells the story of betrayal and atonement that spans the lives of two siblings from their nomadic childhood in the Eastern Cape in the 1960s, to their adulthood in 2004 in Johannesburg.
Published November 3rd 2009 by Picador Africa

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother's Book

Jayne Bauling
Richards is one of those writers who continue to hone their craft rather than coasting along on the strength of an early success. She has an acute awareness of the elements that make for good fiction.

In this character-driven novel about estranged siblings and the damage done, the courses changed, by carelessness, the author shows an understanding of the complexity interior to ostensibly simple relationships. Her characters are human and flawed, and their denial or distortion of various truths is
Judy Croome
As an exploration of the capricious nature of truth and perception surrounding relationships and personal experiences of life-shaping events, MY BROTHER’S BOOK is an absorbing read.

Rich in detail, thick with emotion and pierced through with thought-provoking philosophy, the story meanders through the lives of siblings, Lily and Tom.

From their nomadic childhood in the Eastern Cape with their charismatic, but often absent, father Pop, the author paints an accurate picture of the paradox of aparth
Caroline Sautereau-manowe
I found her writing style to be incredibly difficult to read, and therefore could not finish the book. Despite enjoying the story line, I really struggled to get as far as I did (page 72 out of 220-odd) and that doesn't often happen.
Kim
I loved this book. I need to allow it to settle before I can do justice to it in a review.

But I am a fan - no doubt about that
Amanda Patterson
Lovely cover. The publishing world is still obsessed with feet and shoes.
Good opening lines.
Bridget Dore
One of my favourites
G
G added it
Jul 13, 2014
Bontle
Bontle marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2010
The Innocence Of Roast Chicken The Imagined Child Touching The Lighthouse Sad at the Edges The Innocence of Roast Chicken