In the Year 2889
read book* *Different edition

In the Year 2889

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  93 reviews
In the Year 2889 was first published in the Forum, February, 1889. It was published in France the next year. Although published under the name of Jules Verne, it is now believed to be chiefly if not entirely the work of Jules Verne's son, Michel Verne. In any event, many of the topics in the article echo Jules Verne's ideas.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1889)

Tatuu
This was an interesting read where through Jules Verne( or Michel Verne's) imagination we see how the 29th century will look like. This whole post is a spoiler.

In the year 2889, people "consume food that is compounded and prepared according to scientific principles, and they breathe an atmosphere freed from the micro-organisms that formerly used to swarm in it; hence they live longer than their forefathers and know nothing of the innumerable diseases of olden times.". Rumours has it that nutriti...more
Диана
I read this story today. It must be the first sci-fi story that I found particularly unimpressive. To be certain, the story isn't set out to be anything like a fully fledged work of fiction, or an ambitious or too elaborate picture of the world in 2889 - it is just a hasty sketch, a quick snapshot of a particular view of the future that the author entertained, as if during a short break from doing something else. Having said this it must be clear why I haven't given the story a lower rating - it...more
Filip
I won't get into the controversy about who wrote this essay/short story. Suffice to say, we'll never know. What we do know is that, like any other work by Verne (or Verne family in this case), this is work of a visionary.

There is no plot. There is no get-to-know period for the few featured characters. For all we know, Mr. Smith could be either a good guy or a mean son of a bitch mogul, but it doesn't matter.

The goodies? Uncannily exact predictions about the future.

Skyscrapers/overpopulation:
How
Nickolas
This book, or short story rather, has a little bit of literary controversy surrounding it because it has been released as Jules Verne however most believe as do I that his son Michael wrote at least half of it. Partially because of this the story isn’t the most loved of his works, which is sort of a shame, not because it’s a great and gripping story, it’s not, but if you look at the fact that it was written, by father or son, in the late 1800’s, we can see impressive imaginative insight on the w...more
Norm Davis
Mar 07, 2014 Norm Davis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Science fiction fans & Dreamers
Recommended to Norm by: Librovox App for Android Devices.

In the Year 2889, Jules or Michael Vernes, February 1889

The manuscript says by Jules Vernes, yet others speculate his son wrote it. Why I have no idea, nor do I wish to wonder. It was an ok piece of writing.

2.5 stars... the pump up to 3 is because I've spent more hours than I can count writing, reading, critiquing, and reviewing science fiction, and this amount of detail would simply be a monumental task requiring the meals of a sprinting athlete to keep the writer's brain drumming on that heav...more
John Cress
Amy
The future was closer than Verne thought. 877 years ahead of schedule, we already have Skype, iPods, online newspapers, a life expectancy that is beyond 37 (or even the projected 52), and scientifically created food. However, we do not have a self-renewing energy source and have not found alien life forms within our solar system. Read this novella to experience a day in the life of a man from 2889.
Blain
A quick short story that follows around for a day the life of a business tycoon. As most SF, it's interesting to see the culture of the time it was written reflected, most obviously the high regard and infallible nature of the captains of industry. For example, when a cloudless day leaves the advertising department with nothing to project images onto the subject of the story declares seriously that the research department should find a way to make more cloudy days, and this is seen as a reasonab...more
Wayne
This was an interesting, and quick, read. We all know Jules Verne had a knack for coming up with futuristic concepts and items that ultimately became close to reality (atomic submarines and manned expeditions to the moon, to name a couple). In this novel (or novella, maybe?), he describes a day in the life of a newspaper editor in 2889. Some pretty cool concepts were put across, such as subscribing to news feeds, which are delivered directly to the recipient via telephonic devices and telephote,...more
Devlin Scott
In the Year 2889:

Here we find a very short novella written by the son of Jules Verne, Michel, in which we follow a gentleman named Mr. Smith (the editor of the Earth Chronicle) as he goes about his very busy day at the office.

The story highlights certain amazing inventions that the populous of 2889 take for granted including; the invention of the television/webcam-linked computer system and billboard clouds (this personally frightens me. I have enough issues with annoying ads on my TV and compu...more
Prashant
This story written by Verne in the year 1889 tries to visualize the world of 2889 through the imaginative eyes of the author. The story has it's own merits if we keep in mind that hardly any new technologies which we enjoy today were there in 1889.

The story is no '1984' thought and produced in 1948, but it has it's own merits. The author has thought about video conferencing, fiber optics communication to the most advanced stage, food delivered through pipelines, sky advertising, artificial rain...more
Julia
I gave this 3 stars simply for the brilliance of imagination. To, so many years ago, dream up such unfathomable things that would someday come to be, and to be so common, is extraordinary to think about. It makes one wonder which of the yet unrealized ideas here could still be in store for us and it certainly sparks ones own imagination to dream up their own inventions.

On the other hand, as a story, for me it read quite slowly and left me wondering little about the future of the main character....more
Timthast
An interesting short-story by Jules Verne (or possibly his son Michael), describing life in 2889 - 1000 years in the future from when it was written.

It is interesting what things Verne got right - or close to it, and we are just 124 years out, though he often got the IDEA right but the mechanics of it wrong. [Spoilers below]
In the day before radio, television, etc, he envisioned something similar to skype where a man could call him his wife in Paris and chat with her - via telephone wires and...more
Mallory Anne-Marie
An enterprising view of the far future composed in 1889, this short essay is said to have been the product of Jules Verne, the famous author of futuristic fiction, but is more likely to have been written by his son Michel Verne. It is interesting now, 123 years after publication, to consider what the Vernes, pere et fils, viewed for 1000 years into the future.

One fine example is a newspaper, published for thirty generations, in America, which is transmitted daily to subscribers in spoken or rec...more
Lindsey
This was a fun little read about what verne (whichever one it was) predicted the future would be like in 1000 years. Some of his predictions are really insightful, but I really love seeing how even science fiction writers dreaming of the most unimaginable future can't predict our crazy plugged in world of today. One of my favorite examples of this is that verne predicted a future where everyone would have their own phonograph in their home... Now that's high tech :)
Bernie Gourley
This book --credited to Jules Verne but thought by some to have been written by his son, Michel-- is an interesting look at what the far future will look like. There are a few points in which it seems more likely to be on the mark than others. Of course, the author(s) did not see the vast technological advancement of the 20th century, and so can be excused for vastly underestimating the time taken to achieve some technological goals.

The vehicle for the story is a day in the life of a "newspaper...more
Syed Umr Iftikhar Ahmed
reading this I was simply amazed at the powerful imagination behind it.. and I found it ironic that we have actually moved beyond some.the technologies mentioned.... ;) delightful read indeed.... but I did find my interest wandering about throughout the book.... maybe because nothing much was there to truly captivate a person of these times.... :)
Gloria Russell
Not a story, really. Just a little snippet of what Verne (Jules or Michael) imagines the world to be like 1000 years from the year of its writing (1889). It is highly interesting and amusing. I love how the man basically "Skypes" with his wife when she is away. Just read it. It takes like 10-30 minutes tops.
Stormy
This story was interesting. It was hard to read because it didn't format well to my reader. But it made me think of what the author would have thought of all the gadgets and gizmos we actually have now, in the year 2014.
Mark
Jules Verne sees a Rupert Murdock-type virtually rule the world with his spoken-internet-type-newspaper. TV is there, too, as an elaborate system of mirrors. worth the short time it takes to read. Free on public domain lists.
Ron Arden
This was a fun story. Its not clear if Michael or Jules Verne wrote it, but it gives the reader into a glimpse of what a typical day might be like for someone in 2889. This was obviously based on whatever technology Verne thought might exist 1000 years from the time it was written.

The best part is that we are already beyond much of the technology in the book. Newspapers are around, but now people pay to have someone read it to them. With our computers, smart phones, tablets, televisions and the...more
Alania
"Los hombres de este siglo XXIX viven en medio de una hechicería continua, sin parecer darse cuenta de ello; abrumados de maravillas, perma- necen fríos e indiferentes ante las que el progreso les aporta cada día; todo les parece natural; si la comparasen con el pasado, apreciarían mejor nuestra civilización y se darían cuenta del camino recorrido. ¡Cuánto más admirables les parecerían nuestras ciudades modernas, con calles de cien metros de anchas, con casas de trescientos metros de al...more
Andrea
anu daw? 2nd book ko na nabasa from this author. buti na lang, short story lang to, so boring, na-free ko lang sa moon+ reader, so why not read it since libro rin naman to, hehe
Was THAT the story? How dissapointing, I truely expected more. The author's writing style is quite good, though.
Megan
Jules Verne's novels are strikingly prescient and fabulously creative. Most definitely a short work of genius in my opinion.
Ivanesca
Even though I enjoyed the visions of Verne, the story itself bored me to death.
Joe
A compelling read by Jules Verne & Michel Verne, which successfully zooms in from a very wide lens at the start, viewing all humanity, into a very tight view, centered on a single man, before zooming out again just at the end.
Embarrassingly Francocentric, in naming its media baron Napoleon, to whom the world leaders kowtow daily, though this may be more a reflection of Michel Verne than Jules Verne's views.

Becomes quite bizarre just at the end, aspects of HG Wells' material, but this does n...more
Ragne
It is fun to read about how a man in 1889 thought the world would be a thousand years in the future. Little did he know that we already are far ahead of what he predicted, at least in some aspects. It appears he did not predict the "women's liberation", for instance. I do hope we will never have continual commercials projected in the clouds!
I did like the "semi-steampunkness" of it, but I would enjoy it more if it was a full novel where the reader would get to know the main character better, and...more
Robert Lewter
Jules Verne was a great story teller. A nice read.
Dogday
  • The Devoted Friend
  • Adieu (Farewell)
  • Across the Galaxy
  • Living My Life, Vol. 2
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)