Start by marking “In the Year 2889” as Want to Read:
In the Year 2889
Read Book* *Different edition

In the Year 2889

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,131 ratings  ·  138 reviews
In the Year 2889 was first published in the Forum, February, 1889. It was published in France the next year. Although published under the name of Jules Verne, it is now believed to be chiefly if not entirely the work of Jules Verne's son, Michel Verne. In any event, many of the topics in the article echo Jules Verne's ideas.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about In the Year 2889, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Year 2889

Duane
The most interesting aspect of this story wasn't the scientific or technological predictions for 2889, but the socio/political state of the world that Verne imagines. Frankly, I think he would be shocked by the technological achievements made in the 125 years since the book was written. This didn't feel like a Jules Verne story to me, so I think almost certainly his son Michael wrote this.
Диана
I read this story today. It must be the first sci-fi story that I found particularly unimpressive. To be certain, the story isn't set out to be anything like a fully fledged work of fiction, or an ambitious or too elaborate picture of the world in 2889 - it is just a hasty sketch, a quick snapshot of a particular view of the future that the author entertained, as if during a short break from doing something else. Having said this it must be clear why I haven't given the story a lower rating - it ...more
F.R.
Of course we all enjoyed those articles about ‘Back to the Future part 2’ because it’s fun to see how inaccurate its thirty years into the future predictions were. But what if an artist was more ambitious in his predictions? What if a writer predicted a thousand years into the future, and we were able to somehow look at those predictions – say one hundred and twenty five years later – to try and work out how accurate they’re likely to be.

Step forward, Mr Jules Verne, or perhaps it’s his son, Mic
Tatuu
This was an interesting read where through Jules Verne( or Michel Verne's) imagination we see how the 29th century will look like. This whole post is a spoiler.

In the year 2889, people "consume food that is compounded and prepared according to scientific principles, and they breathe an atmosphere freed from the micro-organisms that formerly used to swarm in it; hence they live longer than their forefathers and know nothing of the innumerable diseases of olden times.". Rumours has it that nutriti
Mike

The review from afar – No. 5

Revised forward to these overseas reviews:

Since I am cycling back-and-forth from the US to Asia like a piece of string in search of a yo-yo, I have forgone the usual joy of slugging 8-12 paperbacks along with me and taken a previously unused Kindle 3G along instead. It is to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg that I tip my hat: virtually every title I have or will be reading comes from their worthwhile endeavors (or endeavours, when in a former British colony.)

In the
Ratnesh Neema
Don't expect anything, and the story may turn out just fine. The imagination really feels lacking though, as the progress and inventions described should well be available by 2089, rather that 2889.

That's how hard it is, to predict the future, huh.
Filip
I won't get into the controversy about who wrote this essay/short story. Suffice to say, we'll never know. What we do know is that, like any other work by Verne (or Verne family in this case), this is work of a visionary.

There is no plot. There is no get-to-know period for the few featured characters. For all we know, Mr. Smith could be either a good guy or a mean son of a bitch mogul, but it doesn't matter.

The goodies? Uncannily exact predictions about the future.

Skyscrapers/overpopulation:
How
Nickolas
This book, or short story rather, has a little bit of literary controversy surrounding it because it has been released as Jules Verne however most believe as do I that his son Michael wrote at least half of it. Partially because of this the story isn’t the most loved of his works, which is sort of a shame, not because it’s a great and gripping story, it’s not, but if you look at the fact that it was written, by father or son, in the late 1800’s, we can see impressive imaginative insight on the w ...more
Raven Cain
I love this old bit of sci-fi. I think the most remarkable thing about it is that for all of his imagination and creativity, Mr. Verne could not picture a wireless world. Nonetheless, it's a classic. A review would be pointless. I enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it.
OzOz
Amazing for a nineteenth century novel
Vanathy Arul
This WAS SO CUTE TO READ. Awww look at these people (almost accurately, though) predict what the future must look like!
I found it particularly fascinating that, even in their wildest of dreams, no one could even imagine what the internet is today, even if they did get quite close. Also, advertisements on clouds? Melting the poles to make more room for human habitation? Wow, the imagination required for this thing. We are still far away from any adverts being projected on clouds (billboards are t
Norm Davis
Mar 07, 2014 Norm Davis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans & Dreamers
Recommended to Norm by: Librovox App for Android Devices.

In the Year 2889, Jules or Michael Vernes, February 1889

The manuscript says by Jules Vernes, yet others speculate his son wrote it. Why I have no idea, nor do I wish to wonder. It was an ok piece of writing.

2.5 stars... the pump up to 3 is because I've spent more hours than I can count writing, reading, critiquing, and reviewing science fiction, and this amount of detail would simply be a monumental task requiring the meals of a sprinting athlete to keep the writer's brain drumming on that heav
Knar   Avetisian
Jules Verne always makes me smile.
John Cress
Amy
The future was closer than Verne thought. 877 years ahead of schedule, we already have Skype, iPods, online newspapers, a life expectancy that is beyond 37 (or even the projected 52), and scientifically created food. However, we do not have a self-renewing energy source and have not found alien life forms within our solar system. Read this novella to experience a day in the life of a man from 2889.
LireauxWC
Ce que j’ai aimé : Ça mange pas de pain. Qui plus est, Verne est très fort pour le côté anticipation. Non seulement, il nous dresse un bon catalogue d’inventions qui font partie de notre quotidien, mais aussi du côté politique, par son côté « patron-de-fonds-de-pension-omnipotent » ainsi que son idée de contrôle des naissances en Chine. Sinon, ce qui m’a fait marrer, c’est que selon les éditions, on serait tantôt en 2889, tantôt en 2890.

Ce que je n’ai pas aimé : Ça fait un peu trop catalogue d’i
Mark
A good short read about the far future. Love the idea of Corporations making ads visible on the bottom of clouds. I could see that happening in my lifetime.
Behdad Ahmadi
تصویری بود از تصور ژول ورن از هزار و چند سال بعد. فرم داستانیش ضعیف بود و بیشتر شبیه یه پیشبینی و پیشگویی سرگرم کننده بود. یه ایده پردازی، شاید برای کتاب خیلی بزرگتر و مهم تری که ژول ورن هیچوقت ننوشت. شاید هم فقط یه نیم نگاه به آینده های دور، از ذهن خلاق یک نویسنده ابر خلاق.

خیلی از پیشبینی های ژول ورن برام ترسناک بود. شاید حدود 90% تصورات ژول ورن از تکنولوژی آینده، چیزهایی بودن که ما همین حالا هم بهشون رسیده بودیم!

ترن های هوایی، دستگاه هایی به اسم تلفوت که با سیم میتونستن تصویر جابجا کنن و امکان
Thibaldo Manrique
The great work that is expected from Verne

Whether by his hand or his son's, this short story shows, as usual in Vernes work, a bright future for humanity. It shows the world still with its pettiness and conflict among men due to land and nations, the ever changing power in the world, the hope and expectation of life beyond earth, "optimal" communications, as they were envisioned at the time by him, all the elements you come to expect from that brilliant mind. Again, as usual with Verne, it relat
Libros Prestados
Corto pero divertido relato de Verne (y uno bastante desconocido). Nos narra, como el título indica, un día en la vida del dueño de un periódico (el Earth Herald) en el año 2889, pues en este año los dueños de periódicos y periodistas son las personas más influentes del planeta (más quisieran los periodistas actuales). Está imbuído del optimismo de los cuentos de ciencia ficción de la época, y propia de Julio Verne, y también tiene algo de divertimento, además de las conjeturas de cómo podría se ...more
Ana
This is a short novella describing 'a day in the life' of the owner of a company dealing with innovative communications and inventions. Apart from that there is no plot, just the description of some technology in the year 2889.

It is a voyage into the future from the 1880, or should we say a voyage into the present from that past. It is amazing how Verne imagined something very similar to what we now know as the internet and some of its applications.

And it is entertaining from a linguistic point
Zig Sleipnir
Short tale of one day in the life of the editor of a 29th century newspaper. Transport in this imagined time 1000 years into the future is quicker than we have now in the 21st century, but it is rather amusing to a reader in the current day to find that a calculator that takes only a few seconds to give its answer is exciting in the 29th century, that news is delivered aurally and visually by a team of 1500 reporters sitting at telephones, calling subscribers to give them the news, and that the ...more
Denise
This is not a particularly remarkable story as far as plot goes, but offers an interesting view of the distant future from the not-so distant past. It takes place, as the title states, in the year 2889. The main character, Fritz Napoleon Smith, runs the newspaper, the Earth Chronicle . Not a print journal, it is sent to subscribers by telephone. If a subscriber is not in the mood to listen to the news at that particular moment, he can record it by phonograph.

Please read the rest of the review h
Ben W
This is a book that, more or less, correctly predicted the future.

An interesting science-fiction short story, depicting the day-to-day life of Mr. Fritz Napoleon Smith, who is (presumably) the owner of a newspaper. Written in 1889, Jules Verne imagine what life would be like in 1000 years. Some of his ideas - which at the time would have been nearly inconceivable - have indeed come to pass, while others have not...yet!

This is a short read and is enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who is
Jessica
I'm not usually one for sci-fi books, but since this is such a short story and I had some time on my hands... Simply said: why the hell not?

First of all I should say that I think the world mister Verne imagined we will live in almost 900 years from now has some really believable elements that I think could just be realized.

On the other hand there are some things that I find a bit weird, like the telephone-newspaper? I mean, sure, there weren't any tablets yet in 2006, but wouldn't a little devic
Blain
A quick short story that follows around for a day the life of a business tycoon. As most SF, it's interesting to see the culture of the time it was written reflected, most obviously the high regard and infallible nature of the captains of industry. For example, when a cloudless day leaves the advertising department with nothing to project images onto the subject of the story declares seriously that the research department should find a way to make more cloudy days, and this is seen as a reasonab ...more
Wayne
This was an interesting, and quick, read. We all know Jules Verne had a knack for coming up with futuristic concepts and items that ultimately became close to reality (atomic submarines and manned expeditions to the moon, to name a couple). In this novel (or novella, maybe?), he describes a day in the life of a newspaper editor in 2889. Some pretty cool concepts were put across, such as subscribing to news feeds, which are delivered directly to the recipient via telephonic devices and telephote, ...more
Devlin Scott
In the Year 2889:

Here we find a very short novella written by the son of Jules Verne, Michel, in which we follow a gentleman named Mr. Smith (the editor of the Earth Chronicle) as he goes about his very busy day at the office.

The story highlights certain amazing inventions that the populous of 2889 take for granted including; the invention of the television/webcam-linked computer system and billboard clouds (this personally frightens me. I have enough issues with annoying ads on my TV and compu
Prashant
This story written by Verne in the year 1889 tries to visualize the world of 2889 through the imaginative eyes of the author. The story has it's own merits if we keep in mind that hardly any new technologies which we enjoy today were there in 1889.

The story is no '1984' thought and produced in 1948, but it has it's own merits. The author has thought about video conferencing, fiber optics communication to the most advanced stage, food delivered through pipelines, sky advertising, artificial rain
Julia
I gave this 3 stars simply for the brilliance of imagination. To, so many years ago, dream up such unfathomable things that would someday come to be, and to be so common, is extraordinary to think about. It makes one wonder which of the yet unrealized ideas here could still be in store for us and it certainly sparks ones own imagination to dream up their own inventions.

On the other hand, as a story, for me it read quite slowly and left me wondering little about the future of the main character.
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • Rudin a Romance and a King Lear of the Steppes
  • The Night Of Knives
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Landlady
  • Devil's Eye (Mirus, #1.2)
  • Dubrovsky and Egyptian Nights
  • Penguin Island
  • Atlanta Nights
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)

“Your story is not a picture of life; it lacks the elements of truth. And why? Simply because you run straight on to the end; because you do not analyze. Your heroes do this thing or that from this or that motive, which you assign without ever a thought of dissecting their mental and moral natures. Our feelings, you must remember, are far more complex than all that. In real life every act is the
resultant of a hundred thoughts that come and go, and these
you must study, each by itself, if you would create a living
character. 'But,' you will say, 'in order to note these fleeting
thoughts one must know them, must be able to follow them in their capricious meanderings.You have simply to make use of hypnotism, electrical or human, which gives one a two-fold being, setting free the witness-personality so that it may see, understand, and remember the reasons which determine the personality that acts.”
5 likes