Start by marking “Parva” as Want to Read:
Parva

Parva

4.47  ·  Rating Details ·  1,023 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Parva considered to be the Magnum Opus of Bhyrappa, is the interpretation of the Mahabharata from the point of view of 20th century mind. The Mahabharata story is removed from its mythological elements and the whole theme and characters are placed in the historical time of 12th century B.C in India. Bhyrappa spent five years in researching the social, economic and cultural ...more
Published 2009 by Sahitya Akademi (first published January 1st 1979)

Versha
Feb 02, 2014 Versha rated it it was amazing
I started this book out of curiosity. I was curious to know what logical reasons S.L. Bhyrappa had tried to give in his book de-mythologizing the original tale in a believable way, which is quite a challenge in itself. Well, I must say this interpretation of Mahabharata is very practical and convincing. It gives realistic reasoning to all most all the mythical facts. Basically this book focuses more on telling how all characters here are just humans with no super power and how they act and react ...more
Anjali
Jan 27, 2012 Anjali rated it it was amazing
’Parva’ means ’Festival’ in Sanskrit. And it also means chapter or lesson...Parva uses monologue as a technique for the non-mythological retelling of the Mahabharata...It is written by acclaimed Kannada author S L Byrappa . I have read this book in two languages One in the language it was originally written Kannada and in english ... Dr. K. Raghavendra Rao’s translation is not only true to the topic, but also gives complete justice to the book.( i was afraid the original essence will be lost )

In
Girish Malkarnenkar
Apr 30, 2011 Girish Malkarnenkar rated it it was amazing
For the past year or so I have been trying to cover most of the books from http://the-mahabharata.quora.com/Note... and while I am nearing the end of that reading list, this book stands out as the best demythologized version of the Mahabharata I have read so far. In this book, the all too familiar epic is narrated from the point of view of many of its participants, each stripped of any possible divine connection and treated as flawed human beings. Apart from creating extremely believable charact ...more
Naveen Gopalakrishna
Mahabharatha mythology or history....... This is not just a novel but an well researched book on the subject.. Must have won a Nobel if not written in Kannada language...
Abhijit
Jul 18, 2011 Abhijit rated it it was amazing
This is a FANTASTIC book on the Indian epic Mahabharat. While there is debate on whether this story is mythology or an actual event, the author has done a spectacular job of writing the epic in a believable, it-could-have-actually-happened way. The author spent decades in researching the actual customs/traditions in ancient India & has justified many actions/events outlined in the epic, that otherwise is regularly classified as fictional/godly.

The epic is an important & revered book for
Sookie
Oct 20, 2014 Sookie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Mythology rarely provides an explanation for their characters motivation or offer reasons to their actions. Parva retells Mahhabharata stripping it off its mythological elements and giving the characters humanity that can be related to.

Will be reviewing in detail :)

Prashanth Kanichar
my all time favourite book
Sanjeev Nv
Oct 25, 2015 Sanjeev Nv rated it it was amazing
I have been dabbling in interpretation of Mahabharata by various authors in past few years. Started with R K Lakshman then Gurcharan Das then Chitra Divakurni and then Devdatt Patnaik. Devdatt tried a little bit to make Mahabharata more humane and tale of people during those ancient times. He started good but then later fell into trap pf glorifying characters in the epic. He teased me to see The Epic more as a reflection of society of ancient people and there evolution then a Mythology. SLB take ...more
Akshay
Sep 17, 2014 Akshay rated it it was amazing
By far, the best book I have read about Mahabharata. If you are interested in understanding how the real life would have been, instead of bollywood style two flowers touching each other, who actually would have begot whom, and more than that, what those "human beings" would have thought and done - this is the book to read.
Arvind
Dec 25, 2014 Arvind rated it really liked it
A brilliant original take on Mahabharata stripping it completely of its divine elements and holiness of characters. A dozen point-of-views thru a lot of monologues, a no. of questions and observations that i have not found in the dozen other books on d epic that i have read.
Sundari Barath
Oct 12, 2015 Sundari Barath rated it it was amazing
One of the most best books on Mahabharatha from
each characters point of view

Bhyrappa is a hidden gem in regional Indian literature

Happy I got to read his translation
Samrat Ashok
Jul 05, 2012 Samrat Ashok rated it really liked it
மகாபாரதம நாம அனைவரும கேடட கதை தான , இநத மணணில வாழும அனைவரும ஒரு முறையாவது கேடடு இருபபாரகள , இனறு மகாபாரதம ஒரு புராண கதையாக நமககு கிடைகிறது . கடவுளகள , வரஙகள , சாபஙகள நிறைநதது இநத புராணம . கணடிபபாக காலம தோறும மகாபாரதம மாறி வநது இருககும . புது புது கிளை கதைகள இணைநது இருககும , காலததுககு ஏறற மாறறஙகள நிகழநது இருககும .
மகாபாரதததின காலம எனபது இநதியா ஒரு பழஙகுடி சமூகததில இருநது மேல எழுநது ஒரு நில உடமை சமூகமாக மாறும கால கடடம . பெரும அரசரகள உருவாகும ஒரு காலததை காடடுகிறது . அதறகே உணடான அற விழிமியஙகளை பறறி ப
Megha
Mar 07, 2012 Megha marked it as to-read

De-mythologized Mahabharata!!!

This has got be interesting. A retelling of Mahabharata in a new format - characters reminiscing their lives, with replacement of divine and mythical events in the original with more realistic ones. Consider me intrigued.
Anirudh
Jan 29, 2013 Anirudh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
His greatest creation. This Magnum Opus is a must read.
Karandeep
Jun 11, 2017 Karandeep rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Mahabharata and will read anything of quality that comes my way.
What I loved about the way SLB presented this story was how he tore away the curtains of all the drama of magic, Gods, super human strength and all that makes it a wonderful tale.
He humanizes Bhim, Arjun to a point you are actually thinking, 'Oh, yes this is how one would think!'
Arjun who was the best archer in the whole of Aryan land has a sense of arrogance and pride in his craft and it is justified.
Bhim who is huge
Shamanth Sunny
Oct 28, 2015 Shamanth Sunny rated it it was amazing
ಪರವ ಓದಿದ ನಂತರ ನನಗನಿಸಿದದು ಭೈರಪಪನವರು ಕೇವಲ ಒಬಬ ಲೇಖಕರಲಲ ಅವರು ಒಬಬ ದೊಡದ ಮನಃಶಾಸತರಜಞ ರೆಂದು.
ಪರವವನನು ಒಂದು ಕಟಟು ಕತೆಯಲಲದೆ ನಡೆದ ಐತಿಹಾಸಿಕ ಘಟನೆಯಂಬಂತೆ ಚಿತರಿಸಿದದಾರೆ. ಮಹಭಾರತದ ಪಾತರಗಳ ಮನಸಸಿನೊಳಗೆ ಇಳಿದು ಅವರ ಭಾವನೆ, ದವಂದವತೆ ಮತತು ಅಂತಃಕರಣವನನು ಓದುಗನ ಮನಸಸಿಗೆ ಹತತಿರವಾಗಿರುವಂತೆ ವಿವರಿಸಿದದಾರೆ.
ಮನುಷಯನ ಸವಭಾವವನನು ಕಾಲ ಮತತು ತಾನಿರುವ ಜಾಗದಿಂದ ಬೇರಪಡಿಸಿದರೂ ಅವನ ಮನಸಸೆಂದರೆ ಅಸಂಖಯ ಭಾವನೆ ಕಲಪನೆಗಳ ಮೂಲವೆಂದು ಒಂದೊಂದು ಪುಟವು ಹೇಳುತತಿರುವಂತೆ ಭಾಸವಾಗುತತದೆ.
ಪರವದ ಎಲಲಾ ಪರಮುಖ ಪಾತರಗಳು ಅವರು ಬದಕುತತಿರುವ ರೀತಿಯೇ ಧರಮವಾದುದು ಎಂಬ ಸವಪರಶಂಸೆಯ ರಾಗವನನು ಓದುಗರಿಗೆ ಕೇಳುವಂತೆ ಭೈರ
Sumant
Aug 25, 2013 Sumant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marathi
I had read Mritunjay and Radheya before this book but parva completely changed my perspective on mahabharat.It is basically a book which has removed all the godly aspects from the mahabharat and it gives us normals individuals who commit mistakes.Also bhairappa has cited many references when he writes about anything and also he has travelled extensively throughout india before writing this book.

What i loved from this book was how he has explained that the five pandavas were born out of niyog whi
Sankara
Mar 17, 2013 Sankara rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I read the Tamil translation of this Kannada novel (பருவம). It is a very notable modern renderning of the Mahabharata. The author deconstructs the multiple layers of the story and presents it as essentially a great human drama set in the socio political, cultural landscape of ancient India..All references to supernatural elements in the story are removed. The novels narrative succeeds in beautifully portraying the inner struggles and conflicts of the various characters along with the outward tur ...more
Mayur
Nov 04, 2014 Mayur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marathi
एक विलकषण अनुभव. मृतयुंजय वाचलयावर महाभारतातील इतर पातरांबददल पण वाचावसं वाटलं, तेवहाच मितराकडून परव वाचायला मिळालं. महाभारतातील डोंगराएवढी पातर, पण सरवांचे पाय मातर मातीचे हे परसतावनेतील वाकय पुसतकात पूरण सिदध झालं. परतयेकाचया मनातील परेम, दवेष, लोभ, राग वगैरे भावना खूप छान मांडलया आहेत. परतयेक पातराचं एक असतितव उभ राहिलंय, परतयेकाची चांगली-वाईट बाजू आहे. महाभारताला कोणी नायक किंवा खलनायक नाही हे पण नकळत पणे कादंबरी सांगून जाते. शाप, वरदान, चमतकार वगैरेना फाटा देताना काही परसंग वगळावे लागले तरी ...more
Sreehari P
Dec 28, 2015 Sreehari P rated it it was ok
There is no doubt that the story telling of SLB is awesome. I really like his books, Gruhabhanga, Vamshavruksha. But in "parva", in effort of de-mythologizing mahabharatha, he has twisted its story itself. I do not recommend the book for those who wants to know mahabaharata and get some good from it. I should say that , "Parva" is not the mahabaratha story , rather its just another social novel of SLB. I would recommend the books by Devudu and K.S. Narayanacharya to actually know about the epic ...more
Dipti
May 20, 2015 Dipti rated it really liked it
The book showcases a different viewpoint of what happened during, before and after mahabharatha. It gives the perspective of some of the characters in the story in a way which has not been done before. It's like a good behind-the-scene view of what is usually portrayed as mahabharatha.
The book has not been written well as it appears to be the direct translation from kannada, but if that bit can be ignored, the story and the information is quite captivating. The book ends very abruptly.
Anoop Dixith
Jan 06, 2014 Anoop Dixith rated it it was amazing
PARVA! Well, by far my favorite Kannada novel. I wish fantasy directors like Peter Jackson take a look at this gem of a novel by S.L.B.
Parva is one of the rare documentations of the epic Mahabharatha, which is logical and based on Science rather than on stories and legends. A must-read for all Kannada novel fans.
Venkatesh Js
Mar 22, 2015 Venkatesh Js rated it it was amazing
well.I am fortunate to read original Kannada version and this was my first bhyrappa novel!. oh. what an experience..its most humanized mythological masterpiece I have ever read..I liked self reflecting monologues that each character engages in.
be it bheema,Arjuna or draupadi..its written in most innovative technique known in Kannada lit..
Kiran Jeenkeri
Oct 26, 2013 Kiran Jeenkeri rated it it was amazing
Fantastic rendering of the Great Epic as it might have happened, without the mythology or divine interventions. This book presents the dilemma faced by individual characters of the epic, and why they did what they did. Highly recommended.
Ramachandrarjs
Dec 21, 2014 Ramachandrarjs rated it it was amazing
Superb work...a fresh way of looking at the characters of Mahabharata...really makes you feel pity for Draupadi and Kunti...questions arise on the way we respect Yudhisthira and Arjuna...fantastic perspective...
Prakash
Oct 21, 2013 Prakash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best I ever read in Kannada..
Kushal D murthy
May 27, 2014 Kushal D murthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing book. Must read. Rationally explained mahabharata. I hope the english translation is made available so that non kannadigas can read this epic novel.
Vivek Bhaya
May 31, 2017 Vivek Bhaya rated it it was amazing
I time travelled to the royal era. Reading this book was such a delight. In essence, SL Bhyrappa’s interpretation of Mahabharata, bereft of all superpowers or magic, deals with human condition and human nature with a pinch of black humor sprinkled here and there. I loved the way the author has portrayed the characters, not as heroes or villains but as complex human beings. The author takes you through the minds of characters and very interestingly expounds their views, feelings, aspirations, con ...more
Hemant Kumar
May 04, 2017 Hemant Kumar rated it it was amazing
It's written with a fresh perspective of Mahabharata. It focuses on the innner goings of mind of characters rather than focussing on the events. It provides a human touch to the generally deitified characters of Mahabharat. It is not a word to word reproduction of Mahabharat and is not intended to be. The author has exercised artistic freedom in modifying/ creating events and characters.

Last 13 pages are extremely thrilling.
Hari
May 10, 2017 Hari rated it it was amazing
A Fantastic book to comprehend on what is Dharma or Just. Very Intriguing Read. The Author has stripped off all the magical/ideal qualities of the character and shows their vulnerability, fear, greed and the struggle for survival.
  • Yuganta: The End of an Epoch
  • ಹೊಯ್ಸಳೇಶ್ವರ ವಿಷ್ಣುವರ್ದನ | Hoysaleshwara Vishnuvardana
  • Yajnaseni: The Story of Draupadi
  • Bhimsen
Early life

Bhyrappa was born in a Hoysala Karnataka Brahmin family at Santeshivara, a remote village in Channarayapatna taluk of Hassan district, about 200 km from Bangalore. He lost his mother to Bubonic plague early in childhood and took on odd jobs to pay for his education. His childhood influences include the Kannada literature Gorur Ramaswamy Iyengar; Bhyrappa briefly participated in the India
More about S.L. Bhyrappa...