Start by marking “When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments” as Want to Read:
When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments

When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments

Where Can You Turn for Hope
When the Hurt Runs Deep?
At some point in life, every one of us will face the dark pain of heartache and despair, a hurt that pierces so deep we're left gasping with questions:
"Why me? Why now?"
" "
"What have I done to deserve this?"
" "
"Will the pain ever go away?"
" "
"How can God just stand by and let this happen?"
" "
"What do I have left to hope
Published October 5th 2010 by Waterbrook Press (first published July 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about When the Hurt Runs Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Hurt Runs Deep

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisCrazy Love by Francis ChanThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisBattlefield of the Mind by Joyce MeyerThe Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
Best Christian Growth Books Ever
148th out of 160 books — 88 voters
Sorrow's Point by Danielle DeVorPlague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyOutside The Wire by Yves JohnsonThis Present Darkness by Frank E. PerettiPiercing the Darkness by Frank E. Peretti
Spiritual Warfare
136th out of 144 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

Electric Bubbles
Aug 10, 2016 Electric Bubbles rated it really liked it
If you know Kay Arthur's Bible studies and devotionals, you know that a lot of her content is simply guiding you as you study the Bible, highlighting and underlining different words, verses, and themes. She truly draws her content from the Bible as well as from her own past experiences.
Listening to the audio book was a bit different, since you can't journal in an audio book and often you listen to them while your hands or feet are busy, so you don't have opportunity to sit down and study the sc
Kaitlin Hall
Oct 11, 2013 Kaitlin Hall rated it it was amazing
It was a very good book! It opened my eyes in anew way, and it helped me alot. Kay Arthur is a very good writer and I hope to read more of her books sometime:)
Wanda
Jul 06, 2011 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Several years ago, my family went through a very dark and trying time of betrayal and pain. Our hurt was so deep that we could not see an end to it. Instead, we just tried to get through one day at a time while we asked God “Why?” So when I saw this new book by Kay Arthur I was very eager to read her thoughts on this subject. I was not disappointed.

By looking at the lives of Job and Joseph, we are able to see that other people have been where we are and that God does have a plan for our lives e
Erin
Jan 20, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
One doesn't have to live long to realize that Jesus was right when He said, “In the world ye shall have tribulation.” Hurt crops up all over the landscape of our lives. Sometimes the pain become crippling, devastating, and we're left wondering what to do while we wait for the promised “overcoming” of this world (John 16:33). Kay Arthur offers twelve healing truths while drawing from the lives of Biblical characters, those willing to share their stories, and her own personal experience. Can Jesus ...more
Jane
Feb 21, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing
I received this book while I was dealing with rejection by the church to a calling God put on my heart. I was blocked. On top of that I was dealing with hurt by the attitude of some people. So it was very timely.

It has not only helped me as I've tried to understand why God would call me, men reject me, etc. But I know God understands. The book has helped me draw closer to God and his soveignity.

If we would admit it, not a one of us hasn't asked, "Why Me?", "Why Now?", Where is God in this?, etc.
Debbie
Mar 08, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
"When the Hurt Runs Deep" explores Scripture to find answers to why God allows us to suffer deeply and how to heal from these deep hurts. It used examples from real people's lives, both those in the Bible and today. The author covered a wide variety of specific situations that can cause deep hurt as well as general ones. She gave solid, Scriptural answers to why God allows such suffering to touch His followers (and others). She also pointed the way toward healing. At the back of the book, she ...more
Renee
Mar 11, 2011 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, study
In this book, Kay tackles such topics as the right time for anger, the root of pain, the purpose of pain, how to deal with lingering hurts, can Jesus understand our hurts, and how to pull the plug on pain. I especially liked Kay’s list of truths and practical suggestions for hanging onto God through each difficult day. 1.For reasons we may not understand, God allowed this. 2.Seek the companionship of the Lord. 3.Face the facts. 4. Go ahead and grieve. 5.Don’t continually revisit details. 6.Time ...more
Linda
Apr 21, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
At first, I thought it was rushing towards a message of Hope and Healing without really exploring what makes us bleed. Then I realized that this is a 'weaving' book - she weaves between issues of real suffering and heartache, real questions and even accusations that pour out of us, and what we have to lay hold of in Scriptures in our war against Satan's lies (essentially, that if we're suffering, God doesn't love us and the suffering doesn't have any purpose). I found it helpful to be pointed ...more
Tamika Sims
Jun 05, 2012 Tamika Sims rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin? Kay Arthur provides the reader with practical tips to overcoming your heart and recognizing that God is in all things. Coming out of an abusive relationship, was one of the hardest things I've had to do thus far - I needed this book to help me.

I had a difficult time trying to understand why God allowed this to happen to me, until I learned to be grateful that this was ALL God allowed to happen to me.

I recommend this book to anyone struggling with life's hurts. Healing and del
Sharon Paavola
Feb 01, 2014 Sharon Paavola rated it it was amazing
I read a chapter every day as a devotion. I can tell Kay Arthur knows deep hurt from her writing, but she also, knows her God and His word. Out of that hurt she gives moving understanding of one who is suffering. Her writing takes you through steps of seeing your pain in different and healing ways to reach hope in the darkness. I highly recommend reading this book if your hurt runs deep or you know someone in deep pain.
Jennah
Oct 23, 2015 Jennah rated it it was amazing
Great book!! I can tell Kay Arthur has a lot of compassion for her readers, she has gone through hard times and can really relate to those who have gone through difficult times.

We can either hold on to the pain of bitterness and not forgive the ones who have hurt us or we can apply God's truth into our life and forgive as Christ has forgiven us. And by truly forgiving, you will find healing and peace.
faithful
Jan 26, 2011 faithful rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A book I would highly recommend.

If you personally do not find something within these pages that speaks to your life [which would surprise me], you would at least be prepared to shared coherently when someone near to you needs good sound advice. It covers a variety of situations that could cause hurt and pain.
Heather
Mar 15, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful audio book, read by the author. A Biblical look at life when things go "wrong". Whether the hurt comes from something out of our control, or if we cause the pain ourselves, Kay Arthur, looks to the Bible for answers on how to not only survive those devasting times, but to come out on the other side stronger.
Randy Alcorn
Kay Arthur’s When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life’s Desperate Moments is a beautiful blend of grace and truth. It’s clear, compassionate, biblically grounded and Christ-centered. As usual, Kay’s words honor and declare God’s Word, which alone can bear the weight of our trust. I’m happy to recommend this outstanding book.
Iris Long
May 15, 2016 Iris Long rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful during my acute grief. Kay understands the pain of losing a piece of your heart. The scripture passages and insights in the book provided reassurance that though the valley may be dark and deep, I would make it through eventually with God's help. I recommend it for anyone who is trying to move forward through grief.
Patty Corwin
Feb 10, 2013 Patty Corwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a powerful and timely book! For anyone who believes in God and suffers hurt of any type, this is a wonderful resource. I am reading it due to a recent hurt in my life and find it very uplifting. The Bible rimless in it are true and powerful.
Rayna
Mar 19, 2015 Rayna rated it liked it
I didn't finish it because reading it to discuss with a friend and we ended up not able to get together. I think to someone in deep pain there was a lot of good points from what I read and would recommend it.
Sandy Van der meulen
Jul 01, 2013 Sandy Van der meulen rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!! Went through the whole church drama and this was such an on time book. Kay doesn't write this from a mountain top she delivers this healing message from the trenches!!
Courtney
Aug 09, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
I thought this book was good. It helped in my infertility battle but I will be able to pull aspects out of it to help in my career.
Nov 20, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Thought provoking, biblical, and heart-warming. It's an excellent book for anyone in the throngs of hurt who longs to find the light at the end of the tunnel.
Kimberly Sorgius
Aug 07, 2016 Kimberly Sorgius rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of books on this subject- none even close to as practical and encouraging as this one. No matter what you've done or what's been done to you, there is healing in the Word.
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Basil Pearl
Basil Pearl rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
LT
LT rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
Cherie Clayton
Cherie Clayton rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Veronica Nealis
Veronica Nealis rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Foolproofing Your Life: Wisdom for Untangling Your Most Difficult Relationships
  • Becoming a Woman of Prayer
  • Torn: Trusting God When Life Leaves You in Pieces
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • What Women Don't Know (and Men Don't Tell You): The Unspoken Rules of Finding Lasting Love
  • Lazarus Awakening: Finding Your Place in the Heart of God
  • The Shelter of God's Promises
  • Living Close to God (When You're Not Good at It): A Spiritual Life That Takes You Deeper Than Daily Devotions
  • Desire and Deceit: The Real Cost of the New Sexual Tolerance
  • Finding Peace for Your Heart: A Woman's Guide to Emotional Health
  • What's In The Bible The Story Of God Through Time And Eternity
  • The Necessity of an Enemy: How the Battle You Face Is Your Best Opportunity
  • The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy
  • Ten Dumb Things Smart Christians Believe
  • Every Man, God's Man
  • What Are You Waiting For?: The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex
  • Man Alive: Transforming Your Seven Primal Needs into a Powerful Spiritual Life
  • When Work and Family Collide: Keeping Your Job from Cheating Your Family
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than ...more
More about Kay Arthur...