Start by marking “Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty” as Want to Read:
Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty

Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty

Dr. Keith Ablow, bestselling author and host of a new daily one-hour daytime-TV talk show, presents his first self-help book. Based on more than 20 years of clinical experience and highlighting stories from his own practice, Ablow shows how ignoring or burying painful memories and experiences can negatively affect every aspect of our lives, and he presents strategies to he ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

Mike Trapp
Oct 08, 2011 Mike Trapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While it is true that you can't change your past, you certainly can change how you feel about it, and the evidence presented in this book shows dramatic examples of that. I picked this book up while browsing at the bookstore, glanced through a few pages, and felt that this book had the potential of cutting through years of denial and repression and put me firmly on the road to self actualization. I'm only half way through but so far I am not disappointed. Good Housekeeping's comment on the book ...more
Trinity Martinez
Apr 06, 2015 Trinity Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't read about swoony boys, post apocalyptic worlds and contemporary love stories all the time. This is a very quick read and it stares the old adage of "get over it" right down in the face and then tells it to go to hell.

Living the Truth is more about looking at the hard things that we have dealt with in our past...the things that we have tried not to think about but have also shaped our lives and relationships.

My biggest complaint was how short it was, I feel like it could have had a litt
Aug 14, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will read this book again and again and am going to give a copy to a few people I know who might benefit from the insights.
Keith Ablow has the best bedside manner ever in the whole universe.
He comes from a place of "Yes"
It will take me awhile to totally transform but Rome wasn't built in a day.
The first step in solving a problem is to recognize there is a problem.
I found problems that I didn't know I had but they are covers for behavior that is destructive.
Wil Roese
Dr. Ablow is somewhat anti-antidepressant which is a good thing but he is also somewhat against "The Power of Now" and Alcoholics Anonymous which is not such a good thing. It is true that our past affects our present but only to the degree we allow it to. Dwelling on the fact that we did not fell as loved as a child as we would have liked to have been does not solve our problems but only makes them worse. We can not change the past and, therefor, to the extent that we blame our current problems ...more
Susana Guerra
The book goes through so many stories about people's lives and what impacted them as a child to become the person they are today. Most have to do with how their relationships with their parents were. I enjoyed the Story about Mary who was 100% dependant of her husband just like she was with her parents. The story about the lawyer who ended up becoming an Architect, Tom with his dream of a restaurant or Maggie the woman who thought she had the best relationship with her mother. The book has so ma ...more
Dec 30, 2007 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: self-improvement
After hearing Dr. Keith on The Howard Stern show during the Sal and Christine bit, I picked up the book.

I wasn't sure what to expect because who knows about any of these self help books, but I really found a lot in this book that was useful to me.

Anyone that is going to read this book needs to approach it with the belief that they are going to have an open mind and also with a notebook to do the exercises that are prescribed in the book.

I really gained a great deal of insight into my own mind
Tatjana Faith
Jun 28, 2013 Tatjana Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a work of his that was fiction and intended to pick up another of his suspense novels, but came across this little gem instead when I was at the library yesterday. Most definitely, this man is amazing with his ability in the healing fields of psychology. I found a few chapters paralleled my own life in certain ways. I am a big believer in examining patterns of behavior in order to make changes that can create positive growth. Truly believe this is one of those books and he is one of those ...more
Richard Stephenson
I liked it!

A good mixture of things that work and things that won't work as well. But that's how life transformation works when we're all unique! Some useful bits in here that will be valuable tools. Some others that should be cautioned against or replaced. Read it with a "how can I and should I use this?" frame of mind and you'll do just fine! Another good addition to the "being a better you" library.
Gregory Fugl
living the truth is a must. this book would be especially good for those who tend to block things out of their mind, live in denial, have trouble facing their emotions, or have out of controlled emotion.

however I feel he doesn't adequately give guidance on how to handle the truth once you finally face it,, or how to change and improve once you know about it.
Alex Rudder
This book is good for anyone who is going through a rough time, and needs a little support. Keith Ablow is one of the best physiotherapists in the country, and if you cant have a session with him face to face, this book makes up for it by having one in a book. It has interactive questions that can help YOU diagnose your self, and even better, help yourself.
Jun 27, 2008 Ceil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. An interactive "self help" book, with interesting ideas. He has you really looking back to find the roots of your problems and/or typical behavior. I read it in two days as I thought I was going to have the opportunity to meet the author at a mutual friend's party. He was a no show but I did not regret reading the book and doing the work for one minute!
Jorge Zoquier
Oct 13, 2014 Jorge Zoquier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simplemente Asombroso!! es un libro espectacular, de una lectura sencila y facil de leer, me encanta la forma en como el autor te da una serie de tips y tecnicas que te ayudaran a salir de una situaicon dificil, definitivamente un libro maravilloso!!
Oct 30, 2008 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't get into this one. He basically says you have to comb thru your past to find out what is wrong with you now. Maybe for some yes but for me, no. But if one self-help book worked for everyone, there would only be one of them.
Dec 13, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
May we all stop numbing ourselves and face our painful, emotional memories to release power and energy!
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Krystal Gable
Krystal Gable rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Federica Rossini
Federica Rossini rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Elisa Taylor johnson
Elisa Taylor johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Donalee rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2010
Olivia  Myers
Olivia Myers rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Yeliz rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Mike Roe
Mike Roe rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Jenny rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2008
Katie Wennechuk
Katie Wennechuk rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Carissa rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Shauntae Stewart
Shauntae Stewart rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Bookaddict rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2008
Jenn rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Author Cari
Author Cari rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Welcome to Your Crisis: How to Use the Power of Crisis to Create the Life You Want
  • The 7: Seven Wonders That Will Change Your Life
  • Fat, Broke & Lonely No More: Your Personal Solution to Overeating, Overspending, and Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places
  • Who's Pushing Your Buttons?
  • Love Your Skin: Expert Skin Care Secrets Exposed
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Help for Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity
  • Teaching Your Children Values
  • Love as a Way of Life: Seven Keys to Transforming Every Aspect of Your Life
  • I Can Make You Thin
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman's Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
  • How to Become Famous in Two Weeks or Less
  • Live What You Love: Notes from an Unusual Life
  • Shift: How to Reinvent Your Business, Your Career, and Your Personal Brand
  • The End of My Addiction
  • Rightsizing Your Life: Simplifying Your Surroundings While Keeping What Matters Most
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Polyamory in the 21st Century: Love and Intimacy with Multiple Partners
Keith Russell Ablow is an American psychiatrist, New York Times best-selling author, and television personality.
More about Keith Ablow...