Start by marking “The Measure of a Heart” as Want to Read:
The Measure of a Heart

The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West #6)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Shy, sensitive, and a bit self-conscious, Anna Trent is the oldest daughter of a family of seven. When a young pastor asks Anna to marry him, she agrees despite her feelings of not meeting all the criteria for a minister's wife and feeling guilty about leaving her mother with all the work. Anna must discover that in the sight of the Lord, she truly is "a woman of worth."
Published 1992 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Measure of a Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Measure of a Heart

Larisha
Anna, the main character, learned a valuable principle: God doesn't need our great abilities, good works, talents... but our Father, God desires our faithfulness, obedience, and a sweet intimacy with HIM. When we have that, we naturally surrender our lives to God and our "little" becomes "MUCH".. .I have seen that with each ministry opportunity God has called me to. God uses my lack of ability, my weaknesses and continually :) keeps me humbled while in HIS great mercy and Faithfulness, showing t ...more
Diane
This was not a romance novel! It is a book that shows what it is like to be a servant of God in your everyday life--thoughts, actions, prayers... All too often we get caught up in what we perceive a good Christian should be like and the outcomes if we are achieving what we should be for God, but most of the time we set ourselves up for disappointment because the goal is unattainable for any human being. We need to strive to be the best we can and allow God to work with what we have.
Lulufrances
GRRR MARIA -.-
if you read this you might know what I mean.
I don't even feel like going into detail let's leave it at this:
I made my friend (who read it after me) count how often she nearly breaks out in tears/actually cries.
We got a total of whopping 28 times.
No further comment needed.

Two stars because there were some good biblical wisdoms in it but I couldn't warm to the story at all.
Sorry
Annette
Inscription by my mom: August 1993

To our "Anna," Annette -
Known for your kindness, compassion, serving others, thoughtfulness, giving, helping, sacrificing and common sense - you have great worth - everyone knows it - you need to come to know it, too!
May this story remind you of who and what you really are - and accept this and share this with others and especially yourself.
Stay as special and as "beautiful" as you are -
Love,
Mom and Dad

Quotes:

"'Remember, my dear. Your greatest and most important
Tiffany Otterstrom
Janette Oke is often kind of Hokey, but usually writes easy to read cute stories. This book however was just painfully "sweet"!
Elaine
I appreciate the struggles that Anna deals with in living up to expectations. Here is a woman who has dedicated her life to God yet fills inadequate, yet she persists in doing the best she can.

"A little suffering just keeps us humble...that way we know we must depend on the Lord." (p. 210).

"It was His will to give each individual freedom of choice. Even He himself will not force them, though He longs for their salvation with a heart breaking with love and mercy." (p. 213)

"Your greatest and most
anette Oke’s Measure of a Heart tells the heartwarming story of farm girl Anna Trent. When seminary student Austin Barker visits, he is intrigued by her eagerness to learn, but despite her exceptional character, Anna is constantly plagued with feelings of inadequacy and must struggle to realize that she is a “woman of worth.”

Heart falls is an Inspirational Historical Romance, a classification Oke was among the first to popularize with stories such as this one set on the North American prairie co
Beverly
Being Ourself

A true study of what God wants from us. God created each of us as individuals. We have all we need inside of us to be what God wants us to be. Our only need is to realize He created us to be ourselves and to depend on Him to equip us with the necessary tools and gifts to accomplish our journey our tasks through God. A true Measure of the Heart.
Christi  Gamble
I love love love this book. I am a leader in Ministry and I always doubted myself. I wanted to please God but was constantly thinking how I should have done it better. I was able to relate with her and the book transformed my thinking. Very good read. I will be reading it again and again!
Delphine
Perfect

this book reached out and struck a cord with me, grabbed hold of my heart never letting go. this book will be read again and I again. tho not a preacher's wife, but a truckers wife, I could relate to sweet Anna so much. this book came to me at the perfect time.
Alex Banwell
I think this was one of my favourite Women of the West books so far. The story might not be all that exciting, but the spiritual lessons which can be learned about seeing ourselves as God sees us and not listening to the lies of the enemy are priceless.
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
Amanda
Janette Oke books are always uplifting and enjoyable. The main character in this book was so naive that at times she drove me crazy but I loved her faith and confidence in God.
Hannah
I rated this as "I liked it" because I did when I first read it. But, for a pastor's wife and a model of a godly woman, Oke's main character is rather disappointing. She and her husband are ignorant of some of the most basic truths about Christian living. On the other hand, there are some great moments of their relationship with God, depending on Him and trusting Him through their feeble efforts. And, when my parents first joined the pastorate, they made some big mistakes too, and struggled with ...more
Jaclynn
Anna Trent feels blessed to finish 8th grade at the age of 16, but what does her life hold after that? Will she had the opportunities to continue learning? Anna is a shy, sensitive and a bit self-conscious, but she has a servant’s heart as she helps her mother take care of her family. Then Austin Barker comes to fill the pastorate for the summer and that is just the beginning to her furthering her love for learning. When she is led to fill another position in life....will she meet the expectatio ...more
Cheryl
I enjoyed this one a good bit, not as much as Roses for Mama or A Woman Named Damaris, but better than the other Women of the West books. I thought it portrayed everyday life in the West for a minister and his wife in a very believable way. The romance was simple and sweet too, which is how most romances truly are as opposed to the overly dramatic ones we usually find in books and movies. The self-loathing and doubt and insecurities got kinda old about halfway through the book, but that was abou ...more
Ashley
This book will make you RAGE at the heroine's husband. I am speaking lightly. He is a horrible example of a supposed *loving* husband, does not take care of his wife, takes the accolades of HER work, and does not seem to register nor care about the pain she goes through! What a horrible example of a husband! Should not be listed as Christian Romance novel, but rather perhaps listed as a cautionary tale to women everywhere.
Amanda
Wonderful Book! Easy Read!
Polly
This was a sweet story and not very long. I didn't think there was a lot of character development and the romance was rushed. It wasn't my favorite book by Janette Oke, but I enjoyed it and by no means regret reading it.
Kay
Sep 10, 2008 Kay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kay by: I found it at the lybrary and thought it sounded like a good boo
Shelves: janette-oke
Anna never dreamed she would marrie Mr. Barker. She prayed that a wonderful women would come a long and help him through his ministering, but never dreamed it would be her.
I think Janette Oke did a woderful job writing this book. I found it to be a very captering story. I didn't have to learn from this book that God is always there for you, but it did say perfectly that God is always there and He always answers your prayers, maybe not the way you wanted him to, but He does it even better than w
Rishi
This one deals with a problem that most of us women have at some time or another. It is the fact that we don't think we have enough of value to offer. While the problem and the solution are timeless there were moments I felt the problem was beating the girl over the head.

I enjoyed the view of a girl who was working to be a good preacher's wife. It was an okay story.
Terrie
Many people feel they have no real talents to serve God: but to some He gave many talents and to some a few. This is a fantastic story of someone who hand many talents but had no clue how much she used them. I feel that a Bible Study could almost be done from this book.
Heather
Now this is what I call a fluffy book! No real conflict, just a story. Anna was slightly annoying with her constant self doubting, but I was surprised how quickly the pages flew by. Not as good as Oke's other books, but still enjoyable if you want an easy read.
I think I would give this 2.5 stars if that were an option. The writing quality wasn't particularly great and much of the storyline seemed cheesy to me... but I appreciated the concluding message of the book.
Laurie
I only read a quarter of it and brief skimmed the rest.... boring and depressing.
Bill
Yes I have read a book by Janette Oke. No I am not going to elaborate.
Michelle
teaches faith and self-esteem, one of my favorites
Sally906
transferring information from 2006 spreadsheet
Partridge Public
Oct 18, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: INS Oke
Shelves: inspirational
Oke, Janette PB
Rachel
I love this book; Anna is a great girl.
Anna's self-asteem 1 11 Feb 25, 2010 11:43PM
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Patience  (Brides of the West, #6)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • A Place Called Home (A Place Called Home, #1)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • Dakota: Four Inspirational Love Stories in America's Final Frontier (Inspirational Romance Collections)
  • The Innocent Libertine (Heirs of Acadia, #2)
  • The Captive Bride (The House of Winslow, #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • A Bride for Donnigan
  • Heart of the Wilderness
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • The Bluebird and the Sparrow
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly, #4)