Start by marking “Soaring Home” as Want to Read:
Soaring Home

Soaring Home

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  74 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Small-town girl Darcy Shea aspires to be the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. All she needs is a plane, flight lessons--and the luck to avoid marriage. A husband would never allow her to fly, let alone truly "soar." When test pilot Jack Hunter crash-lands practically in her backyard, her prayers seem answered...almost. The dashing aviator won't let her near ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Harlequin (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Soaring Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soaring Home

Carla Capshaw
Feb 17, 2012 Carla Capshaw rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book. The time period is refreshing, the heroine is smart and appropriately angsty for her situation and the hero is loveable. Add the snappy dialogue into the mix and you have a wonderful book. I'm so impressed with Soaring Home. I can't wait to read more from Christine Johnson!
Paula
I absolutely loved this book about headstrong Darcy Shea, whose dream is to fly, and the wonderful Jack Hunter, who helps Darcy realize her dreams both in the air and on the ground. Loved Darcy and Jack, and the secondary cast was wonderful. I also enjoyed reading about the time period (1918-1919) this book was set in. I'm looking forward to reading more from Christine Johnson in the future.
Feb 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Love the story! Jack is definitely a dashing hero and Darcy is the epitome of an independent woman! She wants to be the first female to make the first transatlantic crossing, but she has a tough road ahead of her throughout the book as the story unfolds. Women weren't meant to fly, they were meant to have homes and take care of children. The setting is perfect for this story because Darcy is a woman who goes against the flow of thinking. It's the new age and women can do well at flying, just ...more
Barbara
Jun 01, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This story was quick to read, interesting throughout, and had very realistic, well-developed characters. I loved the main character, Darcy, and her passion for aviation, independence, strength, and faith. The historical details about flight during the early 1900's made the book go quickly for me, as I love historical fiction.
Victoria Bylin
Dec 12, 2010 Victoria Bylin rated it it was amazing
I love aviation stories, and this one hit a homerun. I liked Jack and Darcy a lot. No spoilers, but it's got a rock solid ending. Read and enjoy!
Apr 22, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Title: SOARING HOME
Author: Christine Johnson
Publisher: Love Inspired Historical
November 2010
ISBN: 978-0-373-82848-7
Genre: Inspirational/Historical romance

Darcy Shea has a love affair with aeroplanes. She dreams of being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. All she needs is a plane, flight lessons, a man willing to teach her, and to avoid the shackles of marriage, because a husband would never allow her to fly.

Jack Hunter is a test pilot, and when his engine locks up, he lands in Da
Michelle
Soaring Home was an intriguing historical category romance with all of the required elements that make the story worth reading. I enjoyed learning about the history of flight in the early 1900s and the way people flew early model airplanes. That sounded pretty flimsy since they were made of wood and fuel would spray from the engine onto the pilot's goggles. Ew.

Each time Jack and Darcy flew was quite an adventure. The hero had a lot of good qualities and the romantic tension was sufficient to ke
Melissa
Oct 16, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I know I say that a lot, but I really do think there are a lot of great books out there right now. I think what drew me into this book is a strong female character and also the intriguing idea of flight. Being the first woman pilot to fly anything is fascinating to me - I loved reading about Amelia Earhart. I also loved that it was a Christian book but it never felt to me like it was preaching - it seemed to be a natural part of the story. I also liked the romance - I liked ...more
Phyllis
Feb 15, 2011 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Small-town girl Darcy Shea fell in love with airplanes when she attended a Chicago flight show and her passion became to fly. When pilot Jack Hunter had to land a test plane in her hometown, she feels that fate has sent him her way. With determination and faith, Darcy intends to learn to fly; what she doesn't intend is to fall in love with Jack Hunter.
Donna Hatch
Feb 14, 2011 Donna Hatch rated it liked it
A heart-warming romance about a pilot and a young woman who dreams of flying. Not overly preachy, but still with strong faith elements. Reasonably well written--not brilliant, but a nice light read. The ending surprised me a little but wrapped up nicely.
Paula-O
Oct 16, 2010 Paula-O rated it it was amazing
I have just finished this book, I thought Jack and his little fiesty lady who wanted to fly so badly would never get together, I like the fact that the author chose to make him have issues with his faith and how it was finally resolved in the end. Good story
Tara Chevrestt
If you were to look at the aviation industry as if it were a human being, growing and aging like one, then Soaring Home takes us back to when aviation was just learning to toddle on its chubby little legs. WWI has just ended. Planes are up there, but they're solely for military use or very short flights--barn storming. Long distance hasn't been done yet, but the Wright brothers have done their thing and Glenn Curtiss is struggling to create what will be the aviation industry.

While we follow this
Debbie
May 25, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
Of course, she had me at the cover! I love flying stories and the intrepid heroine, so determined to learn to fly in an age when women were still barred from so much, makes it even better. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and loved how Ms. Johnson put me right in the time and place so naturally.
Carole Jarvis
Dec 29, 2012 Carole Jarvis rated it liked it
Christine's story is set during an interesting time period (1918) - efforts at transatlantic flights, women's involvement in aviation. Narrative would have kept my attention better had it been shorter and tighter, but still a good read.
Jeanie
Jul 03, 2012 Jeanie rated it liked it
Loved how the story focused on thinking and doing for others before yourself. How easy it is not to and how it can be easy to when you take the focus off yourself.
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Suzi Toavs
Aug 24, 2013 Suzi Toavs rated it liked it
Enjoyable easy read
Shari Polansky
Shari Polansky rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Ausjenny
Ausjenny rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
Julia
Julia rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2015
Missnoname
Missnoname rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Love Inspired Books
Love Inspired Books rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2011
Londi
Londi rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Jenna Mindel
Jenna Mindel rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2011
Walt
Walt rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
jennifer brown
jennifer brown rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Patty Hall
Patty Hall rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2011
Edie Kennard
Edie Kennard rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 20, 2015 06:31PM
Series 4 4 Feb 20, 2013 12:01AM
  • Prairie Courtship
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • Kansas Courtship (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #3)
  • Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Captain's Lady
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • An Honorable Gentleman
  • The Protector
  • In a Mother's Arms: Finally a Family / Home Again
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • High Plains Bride (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #1)
  • Yukon Wedding (Alaskan Brides, #1)
  • The Marshal's Promise
Christine Johnson grew up in small-town Michigan, where tales rise taller than old-growth forest. God blessed her with a love of story, which thus far has led to two RWA Golden Heart® award finals and publication with Love Inspired Historical and Revell. When not at the computer keyboard, she loves to explore God’s majestic creation.
More about Christine Johnson...