Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek, #1)

Mail Order Cowboy (Brides of Simpson Creek #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With beaux scarce in post-Civil War Texas, practical Milly Matthews and her "Spinster Society" friends have their hands full protecting their ranches. Their only hope: advertising for mail-order grooms. But aristocratic British cavalry officer Nicholas Brookfield isn't exactly Milly's idea of a cowboy--or a man she can trust. And the more Nick proves himself as a ranch han...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Harlequin (first published November 1st 2010)

Vickie McDonough
The premise of this book--mail order grooms--intrigued me from the start. I enjoyed reading about the Spinsters Society and the members' plot to get husbands by advertising for them. Millie's determination to keep her ranch and protect it from marauders is admirable, and finding a partner and possible husband in a British calvary officer was an unexpected surprise. Mail Order Cowboy has humor, adventure, romance, and an inspiring message of forgiveness. It was a delight to read.
April Suter
I love this opening...
Simpson Creek, Texas, July 1865
"The problem, as I see it," Millicent Matthews announced in her forthright way, looking around the edges of the quilt at the members of the Ladies Aid Society, "is that we unmarried ladies are likely to remain so, given the absoute lack of single men who've come home to Simpson Creek from the war. The few men who did return were already married, and while I'm very happy for their wives, of course--" she added quicky as one of th town's matrons...more
Anna Marie
It was time for an 'Inspirational Luvvv' book... and I figured I'd go for a Western.

Except that it was sorta Western. Sorta British. Sort of Bombay, India. Sort of Civil War in the South. It couldn't make up it's mind WHAT it wanted to be. It was... hard to get a feel for, as a result.

***All Spoilers, All the time.***

Millie and her sister organize a ladies' group to advertise for husbands for their society, since the Civil War left their town in Texas with a shortage of men. The men are supposed...more
namericanwordcat
This book was very engaging historically and in terms of the fun twist on the mail order bride theme. In post Civil War Texas, there are not enough men of marriageable age so the unmarried ladies place an ad in the paper and so the series begins.

Our heroine is a capable kind of female and our hero is a third son of a British lord making a new start in America due to a bit of scandal while he was a solider in India.

They are very likable and the love story is decent. This is a Inspirational roma...more
P.Reviewer
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

"Mail Order Cowboy" by Laurie Kingery is one of those romances that I never usually pick up. I'm more into hotter, angstier stuff, but I do like a sweet romance once in a while. I had mixed feelings about this one. The storyline is refreshingly original, and the idea of a woman choosing a man through a mail-order is empowering and different than the usual genre conventions in historical romance. I just wish there was more. The characters...more
steph
I picked this book up on a whim because it said "Mail Order Cowboy" and while I've read quite a few stories about mail order brides, I've never read one about mail order grooms so this caught my eye. And was a good enough story to keep my attention span.

It's been less then a year since the Civil War ended and for many of the men in Simpson Creek, they did not come home. So the single ladies of the town decide to band together and form a group and place a ad in the paper inviting men to come out...more
Barbara
I liked this book more than I thought I would. With the Civil War having ended, marriageable men are scarce in Texas, and a group of Christian women decide to place an ad in a local paper asking for mail-order grooms, a nice twist on the tired plot device of mail-order brides. Milly, the instigator of the ad, finds herself with British Calvalry officer Nicholas Broomfield, who's not technically a cowboy but who promises to learn how from her ranch hand, Josh.

The author nicely weaves in a subplo...more
Mona
I received this book through Goodreads FirstReads

I enjoyed this book. It was a sweet romance and reminiscent of some of my favorite TV shows such as Little House on the Prairie and Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

The author writes in a very readable style, using accessible language. Everything from the setting to the characters,dialogue, and costumes were depicted very authentically.

My ethnic origin is Indian so the historical reference of the British in India was especially interesting and familiar t...more
Jessie
Really disappointing. This book started out on a promising premise - a mail order groom - but had NO idea what it wanted to be when it grew up. It had, among other things, British lords, Indian attacks, flash-backs to a war in India (so, 2 types of Indians) and a failed romance with the daughter of a raja, post-civil war race tensions, the KKK, a herione that is "poor" but constantly has new dresses, a barn raising, and varies neighbors that act so inconsistently, you have no idea what their cha...more
Shawn
I started this series out of order but went back to the beginning to start over. Really liked the story and look forward to seeing more of each of the characters.
Linda
This is a series of "Sweet" romance books that my Mom got me into. Sometimes I just like an easy story to read and this series meets my needs. It's does NOT have any heat in it and that is OK since I am not reading this series for that purpose. It's an Historical western set in the great state of Texas just after the "Civil War" period. All of the stories have HEA which I have to have in any of my romances I read, be it "Sweet" or "Hot". Because in MHO if a romance doesn't have a HEA it ain't no...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Laurie Kingery wrote a Western with a new twist! Mail Order style books are popular, but Kingery orders a husband instead of a bride. Mail Order Cowboy is the first in a series entitled Brides of Simpson Creek. I look forward to her next installment.

What doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God. ~ Micah 6:8

Time Period: Western, 1860's
Location: Texas, USA
Mail Order Cowboy offers a cute twist on the popular historical romance theme: Mail Order Brides. The story takes place in 1865 on a ranch in Texas. The plot moves along at a good pace and the story is relatively engaging for an "inspirational historical romance," but, in my opinion, the characters weren't developed fully enough for this to be a four star read.
Emily
I was very pleasantly surprised. A relatively quick read with a simple story line; quite enough to keep you amused and entertained. It was refreshing to have a [historical] romance that didn't include rather messy, mature, adult-only scenes. Just love at its simplest. Appropriate for all audiences.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Brides of Simpson Creek

To enter giveaway, go here. Countries available: US, CA, GB, and AU. Contest ends Dec 10, 2010
Jeanne
After the civil war, in a little Texas town, the single and widowed women decide to take romance into their own hands and form a "Spinster Societhy" to find mail-order grooms for themselves. This is their story and more. A very good ending.
Zette
I loved the idea of this one since the women were the ones advertising for spouses. Nice twist on the traditional mail-order bride story. Nice romance with alittle suspense and action. On to #2 in the series, The Doctor Takes a Wife.
Sandie Mixa
I actually give it a 4.5. Very fun story line. The main characters were so likeable and I loved how they pulled the town together. I'm anxious to read the next one in the Brides of Simpson Creek series.
Nina
Mail Order Cowboy by Laurie Kingery
I love this book. It's a love inspired historical novel. Great story line, great characters, real bad guys and beautiful ending.
Katie
Never quite clicked for me. There's so much going on that I think it detracted from the love story. It was also kind of weirdly detailed.
Highland-dreamer
I thought this was a promising start to a new series, but I'm looking forward to the next book, about Milly's sister, Sarah.
Sue King
Awesome! The main character is strong and sweet. So enjoyable and uplifting.
Rhonda Gibson
This was a very good book... I"m looking forward to future books in the series.
SheLove2Read
Really never warmed up to the story. Skimmed most of it.
Elizabeth
Cute public library download...post Civil War era Texas.
Rachel Brand
Definitely the best LIH novel I've ever read. 4.5*
Haley
A cheap kindle, easy read.
Alyson
cute
Mayah
Mayah is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Protector
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • A Baby Between Them (Irish Brides, # 3)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • The Earl's Mistaken Bride (The Parson's Daughters, #1)
  • Dakota Child
  • Engaging the Earl
  • The Briton
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
1934565
Laurie Kingery is a central Ohio author and veteran E.R. RN who wrote 16 historical romances as Laurie Grant and now writes inspirational historicals for Steeple Hill. She won the Reader's Choice for short historicals in 1994. Her website is http://www.lauriekingery.com. Country Christmas was her first inspirational historical in Oct. '08; her next release from Steeple Hill was The Outlaw's Lady i...more
More about Laurie Kingery...
The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2) The Rancher's Courtship (Brides of Simpson Creek, #4) The Sheriff's Sweetheart (Brides of Simpson Creek, #3) The Outlaw's Lady Hill Country Cattleman (Brides of Simpson Creek, #6)