The Matchmakers

The Matchmakers

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A young woman decides to meddle in her widowed father's affairs and fix him up with an older widow in the neighborhood, but when she enlists the woman's son to help them get together, the outcome is completely unexpected.
Published November 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Matchmakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matchmakers

As I picked up the book, I thought it looked cute. It was a cute story. I kind of figured out who the "true matchmakers" were, so no surprises there. Not Ms. Oke's strongest story, I don't think, but a quick little read (especially for the challenge-hungry). It did leave me relating with one quote, of which I've already posted about on my blog. :D
Deb
A nice little short read about a pair of matchmakers. It doesn't quite turn out how these ladies planned but the result is very heartwarming.
Hannah
The idea behind this story intrigued me; but the actual story left me disappointed. Point: it was not as enjoyable as it could have been.
carolyn
A young mother with 2 boys whose husband had died leaving her with her widowed father to help her raise her family. She has realized that she needs time of her own and also family time together with her children, but she does not want to hurt her father's feelings by telling him this since he has been lonely himself. They plan on "hooking" her father and a widowed woman up with eachother but in the end it seems as if they have a plan of their own brewing inside. A very quick read. The only reaso...more
Beverly
Very predictable, but a lovely, sweet story. Some thoughtful comments for people who have lost a spouse.
Joy
I generally enjoy novellas - but not so much this one - which is too bad because I've really enjoyed Janette Oke's longer historical fiction. I started out liking the book ok - Cynthia and Judith have a strong friendship and I enjoyed "sitting in" on their coffee shop visits. The attorney, "P.C." Weston, never felt like a real character to me...it's a good ways in the book before he even says anything. And though this book is a romance, that didn't feel real to me either. Not enough detail...and...more
Rebecca Rash
I'm not sure why she wanted to write such a short story on this subject. It easily could have been expanded into a novel. Small little book, reminds me of a child's book when I hold, but not child content. Sweet, quick, read, but could have been different.
Larisha
Delightful, short, and warm book written in Janette Oke style :)

The book is centered on relationships and I Love the twist in the last chapter... Wonderful reminder that God is Sovereign & HE has a Master Plan for each of us!
Kate
Such a wonderful little story that tricks you in the end. I do wish it would have been a little longer and let you know what happened a little while down the road. Very true to life to the way people really think and feel.
Annie Kate
Sweet, light, funny and at the same time moving and thought-provoking.

A great read for an unexpected break from usual activities. I read it by sunset-light during a power outage.
Leah
Good book! a little confusing, but it was kind of a cute book about a daughter trying to match up her father! but she ends up falling in love!
Katherine
Not satisfying at all. The characters weren't developed and the "surprise" ending was mostly just annoying to me.
Wendy
This was pretty darn sappy. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1, simply because it is clean and Christian-based.
Ruth
Nov 11, 2012 Ruth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: faith
I thought it was a very sweet story. Our plans don't always line up with what God knows we need. :)
Holly
I expected more from this book and kept wanting more details. It was kind of boring for me!
Rachel
This book is quite good and very sweet although not one of my favorites by Janette Oke.
Emily
The book was an easy read. It is a good easy book for a weekend read.
Cheryl
It was cute but I had figured out how the book would end about halfway through.
Joyce
Borrowed from public library.
Interesting ending. Cute. Quick read.
Emily
Sweet short story, a little on the predictable side, but still enoyable.
Christine
Sometimes matchmaking backfires...
Maria
Fast, enjoyable read with a twist.
Andi
Sweet but predictable.
I simply loved this book!
Kelly
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Jackie Simons
Read 3/98
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • The Quilt
  • To Know Her by Name (Rocky Mountain Memories #3)
  • Tomorrow's Treasure (East of the Sun #1)
  • October Song
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Phoebe Deane (Miranda Trilogy #2)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year...more
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly #4)