Start by marking “The Matchmakers” as Want to Read:
The Matchmakers

The Matchmakers

A young woman decides to meddle in her widowed father's affairs and fix him up with an older widow in the neighborhood, but when she enlists the woman's son to help them get together, the outcome is completely unexpected.
Published November 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Matchmakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Matchmakers

Apr 15, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
As I picked up the book, I thought it looked cute. It was a cute story. I kind of figured out who the "true matchmakers" were, so no surprises there. Not Ms. Oke's strongest story, I don't think, but a quick little read (especially for the challenge-hungry). It did leave me relating with one quote, of which I've already posted about on my blog. :D
Colleen Mertens
May 24, 2015 Colleen Mertens rated it really liked it
This was a quick reading story. It can be finished in a night. It tells of 1 couple trying to set up a 2nd couple and the adventures that ensue. It is funny at some points and tells a lot of life in such a small little book. Very fun, light, summer beach read.
Lori Henrich
Jan 18, 2015 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judith and Cynthia meet every week to catch up and just touch base. Cynthia is dealing with an over attentive father. Her dad Frank has taken over the family since Cynthia became a widow. She wants him to back off and let her figure out how to function as a single person. Judith comes up with the idea of getting Frank together with the mother of Preston, who has recently moved to town. So they begins an interesting courtship.

I love Janette Oke and her stories. I do like this better than some of
Elizabeth Meadows
May 03, 2016 Elizabeth Meadows rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet little "feel good" book. It has been several years since I read anything by Janette Oke. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be predictable, but there were a couple of twists to keep things interesting.
Hannah
Feb 13, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book a lot! It was a short story about a young widow and how she and her friend are trying to "matchmake" her father and a new widow in their church. And it sort of backfires on her in a good way. ( : It was fun to read and I really liked it!
Deb
Aug 21, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
A nice little short read about a pair of matchmakers. It doesn't quite turn out how these ladies planned but the result is very heartwarming.
Hannah
Jun 10, 2014 Hannah rated it it was ok
The idea behind this story intrigued me; but the actual story left me disappointed. Point: it was not as enjoyable as it could have been.
carolyn
Mar 16, 2010 carolyn rated it did not like it
A young mother with 2 boys whose husband had died leaving her with her widowed father to help her raise her family. She has realized that she needs time of her own and also family time together with her children, but she does not want to hurt her father's feelings by telling him this since he has been lonely himself. They plan on "hooking" her father and a widowed woman up with eachother but in the end it seems as if they have a plan of their own brewing inside. A very quick read. The only reaso ...more
Beverly
Feb 10, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Very predictable, but a lovely, sweet story. Some thoughtful comments for people who have lost a spouse.
Jacqueline kucharski
I couldn't stop reading it. It is a page Turner. It's a great heart songbook I first read.
Elaine
Jan 07, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
A sweet short story set in a more modern era, The Matchmakers is about loss and love and family.
Joy
May 14, 2011 Joy rated it it was ok
I generally enjoy novellas - but not so much this one - which is too bad because I've really enjoyed Janette Oke's longer historical fiction. I started out liking the book ok - Cynthia and Judith have a strong friendship and I enjoyed "sitting in" on their coffee shop visits. The attorney, "P.C." Weston, never felt like a real character to me...it's a good ways in the book before he even says anything. And though this book is a romance, that didn't feel real to me either. Not enough detail...and ...more
Liz
Sep 19, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
Sweet little book about opening your heart to love again and believing in Gods plan.
Bethany Durys
Dec 26, 2015 Bethany Durys rated it liked it
Shelves: twaddle
It was OK. Basically, a Hallmark movie.
Therese May
Nov 18, 2014 Therese May rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was a sweet little story, but too short in my opinion. I think it would have made a really great longer book.

I recommend this for anyone who wants a good short read. It only took me about an hour to read.
Lisa Sluszka Freeley
Aug 11, 2016 Lisa Sluszka Freeley rated it really liked it
It was a cute, quick read.
Diane Davis
Rayna Gausnell
It was ok.
Rebecca Rash
May 28, 2013 Rebecca Rash rated it it was ok
I'm not sure why she wanted to write such a short story on this subject. It easily could have been expanded into a novel. Small little book, reminds me of a child's book when I hold, but not child content. Sweet, quick, read, but could have been different.
Larisha
Nov 28, 2012 Larisha rated it it was amazing
Delightful, short, and warm book written in Janette Oke style :)

The book is centered on relationships and I Love the twist in the last chapter... Wonderful reminder that God is Sovereign & HE has a Master Plan for each of us!
Kate
Feb 24, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Such a wonderful little story that tricks you in the end. I do wish it would have been a little longer and let you know what happened a little while down the road. Very true to life to the way people really think and feel.
Stephanne Stacey
Dec 30, 2015 Stephanne Stacey rated it liked it
Predictable story ending. No character development, nor do they seem to have separate personalities. Yet not a terrible read. Quick, wholesome, and good natured is what I would call it.
Annie Kate
May 24, 2013 Annie Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Sweet, light, funny and at the same time moving and thought-provoking.

A great read for an unexpected break from usual activities. I read it by sunset-light during a power outage.
Leah
Oct 29, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing
Good book! a little confusing, but it was kind of a cute book about a daughter trying to match up her father! but she ends up falling in love!
Mom
Apr 01, 2015 Mom rated it liked it
Small book - 4 1/2 by 7 inches with only 137 pages. Ok to read but nothing exciting and would not check it out again.
Katherine
Jun 23, 2013 Katherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: chic-lit, novella
Not satisfying at all. The characters weren't developed and the "surprise" ending was mostly just annoying to me.
Noelle
Apr 02, 2016 Noelle rated it liked it
An adorable novella. The characters weren't really developed, but it was only five chapters long. :)
Wendy
Sep 19, 2010 Wendy rated it it was ok
This was pretty darn sappy. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1, simply because it is clean and Christian-based.
Ruth
Nov 11, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
I thought it was a very sweet story. Our plans don't always line up with what God knows we need. :)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • White Nights, Red Morning (The Russians, #6)
  • The Quilt
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Sanctuary
  • Phoebe Deane (Miranda Trilogy #2)
  • The Penny Whistle
  • Patchwork Holiday
  • The Crossed Sabres: 1875 (The House of Winslow)
  • Beyond the Picket Fence
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • Snowflake Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #4)
  • Mama Get The Hammer! There's a Fly on Papa's Head!
  • Ruth (Brides of the West #5)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...