Start by marking “Star Trek The Next Generation #4” as Want to Read:
Star Trek The Next Generation #4

Star Trek The Next Generation #4 (Star Trek: The Next Generation #4)

3.48  ·  Rating Details ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Treva is an isolated human colony on the fringes of known space on the verge of becoming a true interstellar community, a full fledged menber of the Federation. But now the "U.S.S. Enterprise"TM has received a distress signal for Treva is in the throes of a violent revolution, a revolution led by a merciless warlord who has committed countless atrocities in the name of fre ...more
Published May 23rd 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek The Next Generation #4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek The Next Generation #4

Sath
The ruler of a non-federation planet requests starfleet intervention in a civil uprising, Tasha Yar and Data get sent on their own to see whats what. As usual things are not to to be taken at face value.

I knew I'd like this book from the outset, because who can deny that Tasha and Data were two of the most interesting characters on TNG. And that we never saw enough of Tasha, and that we could never have enough of Data.

Of course theres always the impending doom hanging over this book, as I knew
A
Nov 30, 2009 A rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I liked Tasha Yar well enough on the show but actually came away from this book caring a lot less about her, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the point. I found her 'traumatising' backstory quite boring and her later relationship with 'Dare' quite silly and thought she behaved inappropriately for most of the book.

I also thought the characterisation of Data was a bit much and that the author may have overstretched his emotional capabilities for the period.

It was still an entertaining book but It didn
Mikael Kuoppala
A nice try at illuminating Tasha Yar's character, but the overall feel of the prose is somehow quite amateurish.
Wealhtheow
Describes Tasha Yar's childhood on a post-apocalyptic planet! Much darker and grittier than most Next Gen novels.
Lolly's Library (Dork Kettle)
While I enjoyed the fact this novel focused exclusively on Data and Tasha Yar, giving us greater insight into Yar's backstory and the relationship between the two, and the story itself was quite entertaining, if derivative and cliche-ridden, there were some whoopsies.

The most egregious, the one most of the other reviewers here have mentioned, was how emotional Data was, especially during his internal musings. The show made a point of impressing on the audience the fact that Data was a sentient,
Anna
Dec 22, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, star-trek
Funny to read a book written 30 years ago and see the society you live in now reflected in its "alien" and supposedly primitive culture. Part of me thinks it's lazy writing, but then were Orwell or Huxley lazy in their prescience? Perhaps a tad stretched, that comparison...

That being said, I enjoyed the character development aspects of the book. We get a glimpse into Data's more personal mussings (intimate, dare I say), and we get a full backstory for Tasha as well. Which I quite enjoyed up to t
Paulo Goulart
Jan 09, 2017 Paulo Goulart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fc
3,5 estrelas ou mesmo 4, não pelo tema (ainda que seja dos meus preferidos), mas pela caracterização dos personagens, muito para além da série (e do que se "conhece")
Melinda
Oct 31, 2016 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite, the main character is Tasha Yar and it explores her background as she and Data investigate things on another planet.
Sean Randall
Mar 10, 2009 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reinhold
Himmelhochjauchzend zu Tode betrübt

Dieses Buch zu beurteilen ist eine sehr ambivalente Sache. Besonders hervorzuheben ist z.B. dass es eine sehr interessante Darstellung von Tasha Yars Vergangenheit gibt, die sich sonst nirgendwo findet. Aus der Serie kennt man, dass Tashas Kindheit und Jugend nicht besonders rosig war, aber diese Darstellung geht weit darüber hinaus und ist auch sehr gut gelungen.

Dafür erlaubt sich Jean Lorrah einen Fault Pas sondergleichen im Aufbau des Plots. Zunächst wird ei
Heidi
Jul 02, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard TNG and Data fans, fans of Tasha Yar (Do they really exist?)
Shelves: reviewed, ebook, star-trek
Slight tendency towards 2.5 stars

The only reason I read this book was the follow-up novel Metamorphosis which uses characters from and refers to events in this one.

My expectations were low. It was my first Star Trek TNG fan fiction book, and for all my Data love I wasn't sure whether I could handle a plot that focuses on Tasha Yar, one of my most disliked characters in television history. All tough, almost 'masculine' in a ridiculously clichéd way and kick-arse on the outside, she dreams of bein
Bernard
Sep 13, 2012 Bernard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrekkin
I picked up this book because I'd read Lorrah's Metamorphosis, the first Star Trek The Next Generation "Giant Novel" (of which there were only two, before they switched to hardcover format for "bigger" books), and then subsequently learned that some of the characters in that book debuted in her earlier novel, Survivors, the fourth numbered Pocket Books novel from 1989. Wow, what a wonderful story. Lorrah really groks Tasha Yar. With Yar's sad exit during the first season of Star Trek The Next Ge ...more
Phillip
Sep 01, 2014 Phillip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So this is one of the first TNG books, so I feel like it does get "graded" on a curve due to the author not really knowing the characters, etc. However, I read the follow-up to this book already (Metamorphosis), and the author seems consistent in her...style and choices.

First the good - I think this is a great Yar story, and there are not many opportunities to say that. The author gives Yar's backstory, which I think is consistent with what we saw, and really adds a lot to the character. I think
Jason
Jan 25, 2012 Jason rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-long-ago
In honor of the 25th anniversary, of what would be my all time favorite show if it were not for The X-Files,Star Trek the Next Generation is coming to Blu-Ray totally redone. Having read most of the novels over two decades ago, I thought that I would write my general feel for the serial STNG novels. I could never do a real review now, other than to say that I loved them.

Star Trek the Next Generation was both my favorite science fiction series in college, and also my favorite serial novel. I was
Anika
Sep 11, 2014 Anika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many things wrong with this book. I really like Data's characterization, but it is not particularly representative of the series. Tasha's backstory is a checklist of Awful Things That Turn a Girl Into a Survivor: abandonment, poverty, drug addiction, rape, rape gangs, street gangs, emancipation as a minor, lack of education but incredible academic potential, death, betrayal, lost love, more abandonment. The love story is highly problematic and the love triangle is somehow both overw ...more
Daniel
Sep 14, 2014 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading these early ST: TNG novels, and this is the first that I felt was really good quality. I remember reading one of the original series novels by Lorrah and liking that when younger - one of the first Trek experiences I had actually, and this succeeds largely because she is a good writer and came up with a decent plot. It also is notable and stands up because the focus of the novel is on Yar. Other early novels in the series read badly because the characters are so off from how we know th ...more
Athena Braun
Apr 30, 2009 Athena Braun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
This book fills you in on the backstory of Tasha Yar. How rough was her life before? How did she get rescued? All these questions and more are answered. I really didn't like this character before reading this book. There just wasn't enough information about her. I'll admit though I still got teary eyed hearing her farewell message and Data's confusion to Capt. Picard. It also fills you in a little bit about what happened after Tasha and Data's tryst. All of this and there's a second story. Data ...more
Damien
Oct 13, 2014 Damien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, star-trek, scifi
Rebecca  Porter
Carolyn Snow
Jun 10, 2014 Carolyn Snow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Morrison
May 20, 2012 Jim Morrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I seem to like Jean Lorrah's writing style and understanding of the Star Trek characters. The story has a nice pace that held my interest and more. I love the way Lorrah writes about the nuances of philosophy. Human morals and feelings are examined by Mr. Data using reason in a way that is rare and wonderful. Just when I thought the story was over Chapter 12 appeared with another good dose of well written dialogue and analysis of our fundamental beliefs. "No, Number One," Picard said calmly, "yo ...more
Ryan
May 23, 2012 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists, People Who Don't Understand How Real Humans Interact
The writing of this book is painfully awkward and repetitive. When two female characters are introduce one is described as "neither pretty nor beautiful" while the other is first "stunning" and then suddenly "not beautiful, hardly even pretty." I don't know how this woman has published books.

The ending is worthwhile...almost. The last chapter has Data reflecting on Yar's death. It is fairly well written. And then the author ruins it with some totally inappropriate and out-of-character line from
Elizabeth
This was my favorite Star Trek novel as a teenager, and in rereading it two decades later I can see why. It gives a compelling backstory for Tasha Yar, an underused TNG character, and expands her relationship to Data (albeit in rather silly ways). It's a pasionate story of a woman overcoming a terrible childhood and moving on to find love and adventure. I can see why my teenaged self loved it.

It's also terribly written, with a contrived plot and characters straight out of bodice ripperromances.
J.
May 25, 2013 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I very much enjoyed the story in this one, which also makes me think that I was right all those years ago that Tasha should have had more airtime. The part that was hard for me to read was the excessively long chapters with very few breaks. It was very hard to find a place to stop that didn't seem to be mid-paragraph, which I found very frustrating. Also, there was a little abuse of Data in a deus ex machina sense. Over all, I enjoyed it, especially the back story for Tasha.
Maj
Dec 31, 2012 Maj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very well written and the story itself wasn't very interesting, also could have done without Tasha's backstory involving a love interest. But at the same time...there was plenty of Data (even if his character here was not entirely consistent with his character on the show at this point) and getting to know more about Tasha was great. Also the last chapter sure has an emotional punch. So all in all, it was not a bad read.
Sadie
Jun 04, 2014 Sadie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it's not terrible. If you like Star Trek for techno-babble, though, this one is not for you. I didn't feel like the relationship between Tasha and Dare was any good. It was more often than not annoying. It didn't have the sort of characterization that really grabbed me at all, not like the show, or other novels. Like I said, it wasn't the worst Star Trek novel I've read, but I was glad to be done with it, and on to better things.
Brett
Jan 26, 2013 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the best of these early STTNG novels to date. It was interesting to get the back story on the short lived character of Tasha. This book had a nice flow between past and present. The duo of Tasha and Data that were featured in the book worked well together and I think the author got the tone of the characters faithful to their development in the TV series at this point in time. Well worth the read by an STTNG fans.
Cary Spratt
Apr 03, 2016 Cary Spratt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, star-trek
It's an okay book but I've never been much of a Yar fan, which this does nothing to change. Also, Data is too OOC (out of character) with the whole emotions thing and smiling and being jealous or vengeful or amused, etc etc etc. Granted this book is from fairly early in the franchise before his character traits were fully established, but it does add a level of frustration to the reading of it now.
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 22, 2015 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Anyone who thought that Tasha Yar was a first season TNG cipher needs to read this novel, which sheds new light on the character...and shows the potential that could have been tapped. Some of her background details are slightly set aside by future TV episodes...but in general, "Survivors" remains very compatible with what we get on TV...and a very emotional, dramatic read.
Sinda Quietus
Mar 20, 2013 Sinda Quietus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I really liked this book. The only thing I wasn't that much of a fan about is that I expected it to have a bit more depth into the Data/Tasha thing that's been hovering around. On the plus side, it really gave a lot of background to (Na)Tasha Yar. (I'm still not sure if she should be called Tasha or Natasha.)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #13)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • The Romulan Stratagem (Star Trek The Next Generation,#35)
Jean Lorrah is a science fiction and fantasy author. She has produced several Star Trek novels and often collaborated with Jacqueline Lichtenberg. Her most recent work with Lichtenberg is on the Sime - Gen Universe. Her fantasy series The Savage Empire, from the 1980s, is mostly solo work. She is also a professor of English at Murray State University and received her PhD from Florida State Univers ...more
More about Jean Lorrah...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)
  • A Rock and a Hard Place (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #10)