Start by marking “Nosh, Schlep, Schluff: Babyiddish” as Want to Read:
Nosh, Schlep, Schluff: Babyiddish

Nosh, Schlep, Schluff: Babyiddish

Learning and using Yiddish is fun for the whole family, from the youngest mamaleh to the oldest bubbe and zaideh. As the mother tongue of millions of Jewish immigrants, Yiddish has made its way into everyday English. The sprightly text follows a toddler through a busy day and is peppered from beginning to end with Yiddish words.
Board Book, 12 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Nosh, Schlep, Schluff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nosh, Schlep, Schluff

Marjorie Ingall
Feb 22, 2011 Marjorie Ingall rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of newborns
Shelves: board-book
Sweet board-book intro to Yiddish. I haven't found many Jewish board books I can recommend, and this one is definitely worth checking out. Twelve pages of cuteness.
Tasha
Feb 21, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Follow a busy toddler through his day and read rhymes that are sprinkled with Yiddish. From preschool to the playground and back home again, there is plenty to keep a little boy and his toy frog busy. Along the way, children and adults will realize how much of what they say is Yiddish. Snyder’s rhymes are clever and bouncy, perfect for a board book for the youngest listeners. Beeke’s illustrations are bright colored and always focused on the child.

This little gem of a board book will have unive
Hoosier
May 11, 2011 Hoosier rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book. My baby smiles everytime I he sees it and I still enjoy reading it to him, even though we have read/heard it over thirty times. The pictures on each page are very cute and show a baby sleeping, playing, and doing fun activities. The corresponding yiddish words are appropriate and cute--kvetchy, nosh, shluff. I highly recommend buying this book both for your own child and as a gift for other children.
Kaethe
Brilliant. A board book that amused the hell out of me as an adult, and even drew the amused interest of the Spouse. The rhymes are good, funny, and combined with the pictures define the terms well. Useful for anyone who doesn't know much Yiddish. Truly, I am charmed, and I want someone I know to have a baby, just so I can give it to them.

Library copy.
Monica Edinger
Feb 23, 2011 Monica Edinger rated it really liked it
I've a couple of board-book-aged boys next door and so when those sorts of books come my way I do take a quick look to see if they'd be up their alley. This one, I discovered, is completely and utterly adorable. I have to admit that I associate Yiddish with older folk, but this book made me see that it is absolutely perfect for little ones too.
Lupine
Dec 27, 2011 Lupine rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-literacy, baby
Adorable!
Stephanie
Jul 26, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sweet little board book. Great for a toddler story time or a bed time quick read.
tuttle88
Apr 27, 2012 tuttle88 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's cute but I feel like there could have been more words.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2016 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zv-read, board-books
Another favorite from PJ Library. We have chosen this for another newborn friend. Multiple reads with this.
Laurel
Mar 06, 2014 Laurel added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"If you want to start a ruckus... wave your arms and shake your ____________!

(and now you've memorized approximately half the book! But the pictures are delicious.)
Phannie
Feb 25, 2013 Phannie rated it it was ok
Shelves: toddler-books
I didn't like this book because I prefer to read my kids books with words that make sense in the sentences they are in. It didn't even keep my 1 & 3 year olds attention.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
Toba
Toba rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Nance
Nance rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2011
RachelAnne
RachelAnne rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Adina
Adina rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Diane H
Diane H rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Taylor Kundel-Gower rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Violet B
Violet B rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2014
Sarah Baker
Sarah Baker rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
Ruby
Ruby rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2011
charlene tatarskis
charlene tatarskis rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Jj
Jj rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Elise
Elise rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Laurel Snyder is the author of five children's novels, "Seven Stories Up," "Bigger than a Bread Box," "Penny Dreadful," "Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess" and "Any Which Wall" (Random House) as well as six picture books, "Nosh, Schlep, Schluff," "Baxter, the Pig Who Wanted to Be Kosher," "The Longest Night," "Camp Wonderful Wild," "Good night, laila tov," ...more
More about Laurel Snyder...