Nosh, Schlep, Schluff: Babyiddish

Nosh, Schlep, Schluff: Babyiddish

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Learning--and using--Yiddish is fun for the whole family, from the youngest mamaleh to the oldest bubbe and zaideh. Introduced to America as the mother tongue of millions of Jewish immigrants, Yiddish has made its way into everyday English. The sprightly, rhyming text follows a toddler through a busy day and is peppered from beginning to end with Yiddish words. Oy!--will e...more
Board Book, 12 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric A. KimmelGolem by David WisniewskiMrs. Katz and Tush by Patricia PolaccoBaxter, the Pig Who Wanted to Be Kosher by Laurel SnyderMiriam's Cup by Fran Manushkin
Jewish Children's Books
11th out of 43 books — 27 voters
Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms TabackThe Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming by Lemony SnicketHershel and the Hanukkah Goblins by Eric A. KimmelSomething From Nothing by Phoebe GilmanZlateh the Goat and Other Stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer
Great Jewish Picture Books
40th out of 66 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Marjorie Ingall
Feb 22, 2011 Marjorie Ingall rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of newborns
Shelves: board-book
Sweet board-book intro to Yiddish. I haven't found many Jewish board books I can recommend, and this one is definitely worth checking out. Twelve pages of cuteness.
Tasha
Follow a busy toddler through his day and read rhymes that are sprinkled with Yiddish. From preschool to the playground and back home again, there is plenty to keep a little boy and his toy frog busy. Along the way, children and adults will realize how much of what they say is Yiddish. Snyder’s rhymes are clever and bouncy, perfect for a board book for the youngest listeners. Beeke’s illustrations are bright colored and always focused on the child.

This little gem of a board book will have unive...more
Hoosier
I cannot say enough good things about this book. My baby smiles everytime I he sees it and I still enjoy reading it to him, even though we have read/heard it over thirty times. The pictures on each page are very cute and show a baby sleeping, playing, and doing fun activities. The corresponding yiddish words are appropriate and cute--kvetchy, nosh, shluff. I highly recommend buying this book both for your own child and as a gift for other children.
Monica Edinger
I've a couple of board-book-aged boys next door and so when those sorts of books come my way I do take a quick look to see if they'd be up their alley. This one, I discovered, is completely and utterly adorable. I have to admit that I associate Yiddish with older folk, but this book made me see that it is absolutely perfect for little ones too.
Stephanie
Sweet little board book. Great for a toddler story time or a bed time quick read.
tuttle88
It's cute but I feel like there could have been more words.
Lupine
Adorable!
Kaethe
Brilliant. A board book that amused the hell out of me as an adult, and even drew the amused interest of the Spouse. The rhymes are good, funny, and combined with the pictures define the terms well. Useful for anyone who doesn't know much Yiddish. Truly, I am charmed, and I want someone I know to have a baby, just so I can give it to them.

Library copy.
Phannie
I didn't like this book because I prefer to read my kids books with words that make sense in the sentences they are in. It didn't even keep my 1 & 3 year olds attention.
Laurel
Mar 06, 2014 Laurel added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"If you want to start a ruckus... wave your arms and shake your ____________!

(and now you've memorized approximately half the book! But the pictures are delicious.)
Lucy
Lucy added it
Jul 20, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 03, 2014
Tracy Peirano
Tracy Peirano marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Joane Gallant
Joane Gallant marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Mirabelle Thea
Mirabelle Thea marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Laurel Snyder is the author of five children's novels, "Seven Stories Up," "Bigger than a Bread Box," "Penny Dreadful," "Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess" and "Any Which Wall" (Random House) as well as six picture books, "Nosh, Schlep, Schluff," "Baxter, the Pig Who Wanted to Be Kosher," "The Longest Night," "Camp Wonderful Wild," "Good night, laila tov," an...more
More about Laurel Snyder...
Bigger than a Bread Box Penny Dreadful Any Which Wall Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains Seven Stories Up