Start by marking “A Bride for Donnigan” as Want to Read:
A Bride for Donnigan

A Bride for Donnigan (Women of the West #7)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,702 ratings  ·  102 reviews
A new look for this Janette Oke novel. Responding to an advertisement, Kathleen O'Malley crosses the ocean to America to become a new bride.Responding to an Advertisement, She Crossed an Ocean to Meet a Total Stranger and Became a Mail-Order Bride...Kathleen O'Malley stood on the deck of the Barreth Lily and watched the land she'd called home for more than a dozen years sl ...more
Published 1993 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Bride for Donnigan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bride for Donnigan

Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPersuasion by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie MeyerElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
CLEAN Romance Books
124th out of 1,841 books — 1,654 voters
The Jewel Trilogy by Hallee BridgemanGreater Than Rubies by Hallee BridgemanEmerald Fire by Hallee BridgemanTopaz Heat by Hallee BridgemanA Melody for James by Hallee Bridgeman
Christian Novels for teen to adult women
11th out of 210 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

This book was strange for me. It started off really good. The story was believable and the author really developed the story for the main characters, Kathleen. She was essentially an orphan being raised by her mean Step-Mother. Her plot was bad enough for her to consider signing up to take the voyage west and marry a man she has never met. On the other hand, the farmer she marries was a little embarrassed to order a bride. He was very lonely and longed for help and companionship. But lets be hon ...more
I felt the book was uneven. The first three quarters had to do with the couples relationship with each other. Then they suddenly have a bunch of kids in a time covering ten years over just a couple of chapters. Then suddenly the focus is on he dad finding God. It just didn't flow right for me. I felt like the book should have ended before the kid part. The author could have written an entirely different book that would focus on the finding God part.
Mar 21, 2010 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Megan by: librarian
This was my first book by Christian author Janette Oke, and possibly my last...

I picked this up on the recommendation of one of my local librarians, after I had checked out a series of Beverly Lewis books. I thought the premise of the story sounded interesting: two lonely people who live half a world apart are looking for friendship and love, so they both respond to an advertisement for mail-order brides. Sounds romantic, right?

The first half of the book was really nice. It moved very quickly, a
This was the second time I read this novel; I went to it for a "light read" amidst a family visit and spring cleaning. Somehow I remembered the details differently, though the story was still charming. A shout out to my reformed friends: the writing is distinctly Arminian, but I *love* the message that the gospel can be self-revealing through the power of Scripture alone (i.e., no mediator but Jesus; no pastor, deacon, Sunday School teacher needed), and that childlike faith is rewarded. And it's ...more
This is my sixth Janette Oke book to read. This book, hands down,is the best Oke book thus far. Characterization is developed to the point that you can feel the nervousness both of the main characters (Donnigan and Kathleen) experience as they made the decision to sign up and follow through with the idea of the mail order bride. You can feel the anxiety Kathleen experienced with the haystack fire and also with the loss of Taryn. Donnigan's search for God's plan of salvation was thought-provoking ...more
Anna Marie
I'm reading thru my own collection, here at home. Personally, I've never cared for Janette Oke, except for two books: this one, and 'A Girl named Damaris'.

In this one, we meet Kathleen: an Irish version of Cinderella living with the stepmother and half siblings in London, mistreated and ostracized. The day comes that stepmother is re-marrying, and Kathleen isn't welcome in the new family. So she signs up as a mail-order bride to an unknown farmer/rancher in the Americas.

It's a good story... what
I guess my review is different than most because I got a bit bored with the love story part and loved the end better when they started to search for religious meaning to their lives. For me that was the good part. I got more and more excited as they, without any outside help or direction, gradually discovered their own faith and salvation. The ending made me cry, it was so sweet and joyous and wonderful.
What I really like about this book is the fact that it doesn't end when the people get engaged/married. The majority of the book takes place after the wedding. I like seeing the relationship grow and deepen and hearing about the homemaking and all the children.
N. Brown
I remembered this book from when I was in junior high. This series is very encouraging in your walk with God and it has a great love story! Its one of my favorites of the women of the west series.
This is a sweet story, with a Christian focus.

It tells the story of a young Irish girl who has faced more than one tragedy in her life and out of desperation turns to an option she likely never would have considered in better circumstances: shipping herself to America to become the wife of a man she knows nothing about.

On the other side of the Atlantic, a young man living in the frontier has signed up for a "mail order bride" also out of desperation born from loneliness.

Their epic meeting and j
Patricia Hullet
This is a sweet historical romance about Kathleen, a girl who had a terrible life in England and decided to become a mail order bride. Luckily, she got a good husband, although it took her a while to figure this out. At the end of the book, her husband, Donnigan, decides their children should learn about God even though neither him nor Kathleen have ever gone to church and know nothing about religion. His trying to find out what he should be teaching his children is sweet and humorous. I really ...more
"A Bride For Donnigan" is a Christian historical set in the American West during the pioneer time period. It's a part of the Women of the West series, but the books aren't connected to each other so you can read them in any order. These novels are quick reads.

The setting and historical detail created a nice yet still somewhat vague (as to exact time period) backdrop for the events. The story followed Kathleen's life from seventeen-years-old until she has a large family of her own. Kathleen and
Loved it

Loved it

I so loved this book, I adore the books by Janette Oke. this one also spoke to me about the bitterness I, and many people carry in their hearts.
I would have like to seen Donnigan and Kathleen's search happen earlier in the book, but other than that it's a beautiful story.
I really love stories about mail-order brides, so I was excited to find this for $1 at my library book sale. I ended up skipping most of the beginning of this book, as it DRAGGED on forever, and it was basically just leading up to the couple meeting. They finally meet half way through the book, and the few chapters of their new relationship were the best in the whole book. Then, the story shoots through like, I think 7-8 years, and they have a bunch of kids and try to find God. It didn't flow ri ...more
Amanda Tero
I am hesitant when it comes to reading mail-order-bride books because I'm not a huge fan of romance. But I tested out "A Bride for Donnigan" and was pleasantly surprised! I love the emphasis that Ms. Oke put on the couple searching for truth and finding it in God. It was a beautiful story!
Awesome book.

This was a great book. Starts off real slow. But then it picks up quick. I loved how it showed how to really talk to someone especially your spouse. to get to know them. also step by step on learning about God and getting to know him and becoming a Christian.
May 11, 2008 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of Christian fiction/romance
I liked it because both main characters were well developed and the plot was unusual about man out west and two of his friends ordering brides from overseas. Three women were matched up with the three men, sight unseen. When the woman arrived, they married right away. It was a fun and interesting read, and revealed the adjustments that were involved in making the marriages work. One did not.

There are no sex scenes at all, but they just keep having kids. Donnigan felt a strong responsibility to
I really enjoyed the first part of this book. Then in the second half the story suddenly was about how many children they had and some ideas about finding God and their search. It really fell flat for me. I found the ending a bit preachy without much substance.
Oct 06, 2014 Cyndi added it
This is a quick read. Historical romance of a step-daughter not wanted in the family looking for a way out - and she found it - to be a mail bride to a farmer in America. Cute story, makes you think about your views of people. Becomes VERY religous at the end.
I love Janette Oke's books...This story started out interesting...but, it seemed like it was "hurried" to finish...I found this book in a used bookstore, so it didn't cost me much. CLEAN as always, but, it was simply a nice story, but not captivating...
Love and Salvation

God is always in our midst. No matter from what part of the world we come from or how much or little wealth we have, we must be born again. Jesus came that we would all be saved through him.
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

Overall, Women of the West is my favorite series (that I’ve read so far) by Oke, where I really reveled in what the author had to bring in all of her sweet, warm, and simplistic glory. However, the books aren’t only warm fuzzies, as Oke does deal with some tough, and even some potentially controversial, issues, giving the reader some points to chew on but doing it in her warm style.

I’ve read most of the books in the series more than once (maybe even three times, wit
This book was strange. it started off great and when I had to stop reading for awhile I kept thinking about it and wishing I could read it. But then it kinda went downhill . . . after they get married they don't get along for awhile but then suddenly they do love each other and the rest of the book is about the children they had and how they tried to teach them about God. which is good! But - I never would have expected that from the back cover description and a good bit of the book was about th ...more
Sarah Albrecht
This was in a stack of books from my Mammaw, as she was a big Janette Oke fan! I remember watching the "Love Comes Softly" movies with her. Loved this sweet book!
I really wanted to like this. It was ok. I thought it was weird that he was shocked at how young she was and they were always mad at each other and all of a sudden she was pregnant. I thought they weren't having sex because she was so young and because she wasn't even interested in him sexually. I get that it's Christian and for the sex to happen they have to be married, but I thought they'd fall in love and then have sex. I also don't think Donnigan would be so completely clueless about how to ...more
Krista Jensen
OMGoodness! This was, by far, my favorite book in this series so far! I really enjoyed it and loved the main characters.
A Western Christian romance in the traditional Janette Oke fashion. Quick and enjoyable to read.
  • Love on Assignment (Ladies of Summerhill, #2)
  • The Substitute Guest
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • To Know Her by Name (Rocky Mountain Memories, #3)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
  • A Vision of Lucy (A Rocky Creek Romance, #3)
  • Mother
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
  • Spring for Susannah
  • Second Chance Family
  • My Father's World (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Women of the West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Calling of Emily Evans (Women of the West, #1)
  • Julia's Last Hope (Women of the West, #2)
  • Roses for Mama (Women of the West #3)
  • A Woman Named Damaris (Women of the West, #4)
  • They Called Her Mrs. Doc
  • The Measure of a Heart (Women of the West Series, #6)
  • Heart of the Wilderness
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • The Bluebird and the Sparrow
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy (Love Comes Softly, #4)