Start by marking “A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough” as Want to Read:
A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  30 reviews
From the moment we are born, we are seekers. Our culture obsessively promotes the pursuit of money, success and self-improvement. At the end of each activity-jammed day, though, we collapse into bed discouraged by everything we have not checked off on our to-do lists, in despair that whatever we have accomplished is never enough. Worse still, when our dreams become derai ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by Harmony (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough

Chestelle
I absolutely loved this book! Wish I could give a copy to every one I know. To get the full effect, it should be read slowly and thoughtfully because it is truly a conversation with the author -- someone I would love to count as a friend...
Liz
The rating reflects the fact that I have read a lot of books quite similar to this so it felt like a review rather than challenging or stimulating new insights. My women's group struggled with "The Power of Now" together 15 years ago, and I read "The Wounded Healer" more like 35 years ago. Both books were referenced in this book or in reviews. However, if you are new to thinking outside the box about your spirituality, this would be a good primer. Without a doubt, for me, Wayne Muller's best wor ...more
Geri Hoekzema
Occasionally the thing that's exactly right pops up at the time that's exactly right, and it feels like a gift. For me the most recent gift of this sort was Wayne Muller's gem of a book. Muller challenges readers to look beyond our culture's pressure to cram more into each day, get more done and be more "efficient" for it's own sake. Instead, he suggests that we'll live more fully if we choose mindfully, possibly scale down and give 100% of our attention to the activities and relationships we co ...more
Anthony
This book is a great "pause button" for anyone with a hectic lifestyle (meaning all human beings). Everyone I'm positive feels overwhelmed by LIFE like I do often times, so this book was a nice reminder to step back, appreciate the small and good things of the world, and strive to live one moment at a time. I will say that he draws a lot from religious and spiritual texts and authorities, so if that's not your thing, a heads up to ya.
Julianne
I am generally leery of self-help books as the wisdom they dispense can come across as shallow and hokey, but I thought this book made some very valid points explained in a way that was neither shallow nor too cheesy (it was a little hippy-dippy, it is a self help book after all!).
Stephanie
Muller's latest release was the November selection for South Austin Spiritual Book Group. Our Book Group was kicked off in 2005 with Muller's book, "Sabbath", so we are full circle with this title.

I appreciated the contemporary editing with micro chapters and some content inserted from Wayne's friends and inspirational luminaries.

It is both a modern and ancient question to study the meaning of "enough" in our lives. It is a question I have pondered for perhaps forty years now. If you think about
Jerry Zondervan
A profoundly reassuring journey into enough. Wayne reminded me to express gratefulness to this body in which I live, to remind myself to say enough when I feel tired, to realize that after a certain number of hours invested in a certain project it is time to say enough and to go get a breath of fresh air, to really learn -perhaps again - to say "this particular activity has been enough for me.
Caroline
Wayne Muller is one of my favorite writers in the realm of spirituality and, well, our lives today, and this book takes on one of my favorite subjects: enough. Each chapter stands alone or with two or three others exploring one element of enoughness today, and while not every one is as powerful, the bulk of the sections are incredibly thought-provoking and well-written. Very worth a read!
Rachel
So, so good, for anyone who feels like there isn't enough time in the day...or there isn't enough self to go around.
Linda LaBell
Thought provoking title with lots of wisdom in it. A nice antidote for the busyness of our times.
Kkeyes
This book/author more than anything has helped me during this year of mid-life weirdness.
Steven

a very gentle voice of wisdom in our harried world

recommended
Rebecca Waring-Crane
I started reading Muller's book last week. Savoring each chapter, I find the topic, approach and writing style exquisite and refreshing. I may just need to own a copy.
I finished reading, or rather savoring, Muller's work some time in spring. This book saved my life. 4.75 stars. Prose lovely but occasionally a bit awkward, otherwise 5 stars.
Emily Freeman
Jun 14, 2014 Emily Freeman marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I only got about a quarter of the way in when it started to get a bit repetitive and rambling. Too many other great books to read! I passed this one on.
Elizabeth
A bit pedantic but overall personal, insightful, and persistent. We need to start by changing our definition of "enough" and Muller provides many many examples to do so. taking the long view (and not the path of immediate satisfaction or short term thinking) is a difficult but worthy habit.
Beth

This is a very easy read, yet profound. It was a very humbling reminder of what's most important in life & how simple life can be without us complicating it day to day. A great reminder that less always translates to being more. Great book for everyone to read!
Naomi
Wayne Muller's meditations on enoughness invariably lead us back to attention and to gratitude, fundamental practices of appreciation and acceptance and wonder. A fine volume that would also be good for small group study and discussions.
Elyse
Lots of helpful insights, but this particular Muller book felt more rambling to me ... more difficult to follow a thread. Might be better to just read a section each evening.

Still, worth the time for some specific nuggets.
Kerry
So helpful. Beautifully written and spiritually grounded, a wonderful reminder to slow down, breathe, trust your inner wisdom and turn your attention to what matters. May be a book I gift to several friends this year.
Nivash Kumar
This book takes an elegant view of every day life. There is consolation for quite a lot of things we think we don't have enough. I really enjoyed reading it.
Wendy
I really, really loved this book. I got it from the library, but am going to have to buy it because I know I need to read it again & again. It is, quite simply, a recipe for living a satisfying life.
Alex
Good book full of wisdom gems. It's on the lighter side. Still something I would recommend to make one realize about what is enough in this rat race that is the world we live in.
Becky
Reading books like this often makes me feel bad because I'm not a 'go out and be needed' do-er type. Still, the way of thinking I can try to use.
Ellen
This book works for me as a guidebook which means I open it in episodes of life, to seek comfort or wisdom.
Always come back to it.
Julia
I loved this book. I kept it by my bedside and read one of the short chapters each night as a meditation.
It's definitely a self help book. I certainly wish he'd tell more touching stories or something...
Mary  Hart
A great book! ---helps to slow down and savor the moments --and let go of the small stuff.
Tina Bembry
Marvelous nuggets of wisdom and peace for the soul.
Sarah Taylor
I enjoyed this book and found a few insights very helpful.
  • The Gift of Giving Life: Rediscovering the Divine Nature of Pregnancy and Birth
  • Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life
  • For All Eternity:  A four talk set to strengthen your marriage
  • Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It
  • Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • The Burnout Cure: An Emotional Survival Guide for Overwhelmed Women
  • My Depression: A Picture Book
  • Dreamers, Discoverers & Dynamos: How to Help the Child Who Is Bright, Bored and Having Problems in School
  • Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One Another and Other Lessons from the Desert Fathers
  • The Lost Years of Jesus: Documentary Evidence of Jesus' 17-Year Journey to the East
  • The Wise Man Returns
  • What the Gospels Meant
  • Evolution of the Word: The New Testament in the Order the Books Were Written
  • Consider the Birds: A Provocative Guide to Birds of the Bible
  • Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication
Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives Legacy of the Heart: The Spiritual Advantage of a  Painful Childhood Learning to Pray: How We Find Heaven on Earth The Lord's Prayer Book: How We Find Heaven on Earth

“In that inevitable, excruciatingly human moment, we are offered a powerful choice. This choice is perhaps one of the most vitally important choices we will ever make, and it determines the course of our lives from that moment forward. The choice is this: Will we interpret this loss as so unjust, unfair, and devastating that we feel punished, angry, forever and fatally wounded-- or, as our heart, torn apart, bleeds its anguish of sheer, wordless grief, will we somehow feel this loss as an opportunity to become more tender, more open, more passionately alive, more grateful for what remains?” 19 likes