Start by marking “Fragmento” as Want to Read:
Fragmento

Fragmento (Fragment #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,485 Ratings  ·  551 Reviews
UMA ILHA INEXPLORADA E UMA DESCOBERTA CAPAZ DE RECONFIGURAR O DESTINO DA HUMANIDADE

Seis jovens cientistas aceitam o desafio de um reality show e, entre amizades, amores, intrigas e uma descoberta que tem tanto de fascinante como aterrorizadora, vivem a aventura mais emocionante das suas vidas.
Quando a tripulação e elenco do reality show "Sealife" encontram a inexplorada il
Published 2010 by Porto Editora (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fragmento, please sign up.

Mark That seems what it was intended to be; the derivatively predictable action sequences and lack of character development are clear evidence that Fahy…moreThat seems what it was intended to be; the derivatively predictable action sequences and lack of character development are clear evidence that Fahy saw the novel as just an annoying step he had to undertake to getting this onto the big $creen.(less)

tom
Aug 08, 2009 tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not even my worst enemies
Recommended to tom by: people who hate me
Shelves: first-reads, thriller
Where to begin. First of all, I'm so glad I got this for free. Second, I'm now wondering if the publisher waited for Michael Crichton to die before calling this Jurassic Park-like because that is just flat-out blasphemy. JP was a lightning-in-a-bottle masterpiece (you can tell because Crichton's attempt at recapturing that magic (The Lost World) failed miserably). This is anything but.....

Onto Fragment. Warren Fahy, you did research for this book. Good for you. Most authors do. There's no need t
Jeff Sitko
Mar 29, 2011 Jeff Sitko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one requires a bit of explaining on my part. Initially, I wanted to rate this as a 4/5 based on the human element; the characters seem somewhat flat, based on overused archetypes, BUT that being said, they are the ONLY downside to this book.

Otherwise it depicts the most imaginative and innovative tale of man bucking against the unrelenting tide of nature since Jurassic Park. I'm currently reading Pandemonium, Fragment's sequel, and the characters seem better this time (roughly halfway thro
11811 (Eleven)
Apr 17, 2015 11811 (Eleven) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF around 60%. The characters were cardboard and the story seemed like a bad imitation of Michael Crichton. 60% is pretty good considering how much I hated it.

Stephen
4.5 stars. I thought this book was a blast. The descriptions of the various species were very interesting and the action was non-stop from the moment they hit the island. A highly entertaining read.
Michael
May 04, 2011 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
A popcorn, thriller of a book in the vein of the work of Michael Crichton.

The crew of a reality show discovers a long lost island that harbors a unique secret--there are strains of life here that have followed a different path of development. The initial landing party is killed by the various new creatures, but what we see early on is only a hint of what's lurking on the island.

"Fragment" is a hybrid story of "Jurassic Park" and "The Ruins." The story does well enough when talking about the new
Becca
Nov 12, 2010 Becca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barely-finished
The only reason I finished this book at all was because I am a cheap person and, as such, I felt that not finishing it would be like throwing 8 one dollar bills in an ash tray and setting them ablaze.

Do you remember (or maybe you were) that kid in high school who felt like science papers were too dull and wanted to throw in random monsters/dinosaurs/zombies, etc to spice things up (or to annoy the teacher)? Yeah, that is what this book felt like to me. A science paper, well-researched but forced
Sandi
I glanced through a few reviews of Fragment and had to laugh at all the comparisons to Michael Crichton. Honestly, I was thinking the same thing throughout the book. To me, it was a cross between Michael Crichton and the original Star Trek series.

A ship carrying scientists participating in a reality show discovers an island that is so isolated that it's developed it's own ecosystem unlike anything else anywhere on Earth. Naturally, the US military steps in quickly and takes over the whole resea
Michael Fierce
Aug 11, 2012 Michael Fierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Jurassic Park, tech-thrillers, island adventures

Now, THIS was a great book.

Basically, a Reality TV series crew embarks on a voyage for their "Scientific" TV show, only to get a distress call coming from the direction of an unexplored island, falling right in line with the hopes of one of its' scientist crew members who's been wanting to explore the island her whole life. Then all hell breaks loose.

Very Jurassic Park influenced minus actual dinosaurs.

It starts out in an older time period like many modern cryptozoological tech-thriller adven
Tarl
Jul 27, 2011 Tarl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Thankfully I DIDN'T buy the hardcover...
Unimaginable and cookie cutter antagonists, enough science to choke the reader to death under pages of description, and an unimaginative ending couple to make this book the worst book I read in the last year. The premise is interesting, hell, it's unique, but half the book itself is scientific descriptions of the creatures on Hender's Island, and even at points where there is tense situations, the author spends a large amount of time explaining how the cre
Ben Babcock
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
This is a fun romp of a book if you are looking for an effortless beach read. It's Crichton-esque (although the descriptive tech parts aren't quite as well done) and reminiscent of Jurassic Park cum Mysterious Island, in that there's an isolated island where vicious critters have taken a different evolutionary path.

Overall, the concept is clever and the critters, for which there are even drawings at the back of the book, are fascinating and described in a convincing fashion. The pacing is exactl
Elise
Jul 28, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A group of scientists from a reality TV show discover a remote island in the South Pacific. New species have evolved there that may as well be aliens. The inhabitants are very powerful and deadly, and the scientists have to decide what to do with their discovery of the island and the creatures.

This was a blast to read, based on real science not pseudo-science, so it makes the plot more plausible. It's a perfect entertaining summer read.
Jim
Jul 17, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Great creatures. I can't wait to see how they look on the big-screen!

You can't read this book without picturing it as a movie in your mind. The descriptions are awesome (and they don't go on forever and ever - like some authors), the characters are great, the story is immersive...

Just go read this book.
Susan Gallagher
So much wrong with this book, I don't even know where to begin.
But let's start with zero - ZERO - character development. No, I take that back. There's just enough to make these people annoying. All we learn of the protagonist is that she has a baseball cap and a dead mother - there is no conflict for her and no character arc.
The suspension of disbelief was stretched far beyond what anyone with even the most basic understanding of ecology could handle.
One scene near the end between the protagon
Terry
Jun 29, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With sagging ratings, the ocean exploration reality show SeaLife desperately needs a boost before the network cuts their one-year voyage short. What could be better than answering a distress call on a mysterious island? Surrounded by a 700 ft cliff wall, Henders Island is largely inaccessible and its distance from the shipping lanes means very few seafarers have even seen it. But when a live broadcast of the landing shows the cast of the SeaLife eaten alive by the island’s flora and fauna, the s ...more
Lori
Aug 07, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Won this book in the Goodreads Giveaway.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The premise is what orignally caught my attention: A reality show plans to shoot a scientific exploration of an unexplored island. Unbeknownst to them, it contains an entire exosystem that is alien to ours.

- Numerous scientists, camera/production crew, and military characters with names like Zero, Ham Pound, Thatcher, Gyn, and Nell. Check!
- Dry, straightfoward scientific explanations dumbed down for the not-so-sci
Wayne
Nov 15, 2010 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book quite a bit. Fahy has created a dangerous world every bit as dense and full as Cameron's Pandora, minus any happy tree environmental saving grace. This is a world of creatures that would likely devour any other world, imaginary or real, were it to escape that small rock called Henders Island. The creatures were surprisingly well conceived and illustrated, and the ecology was finely tuned and enthralling. There were a few sections later in the novel that stretched even a forgivi ...more
Edward H. Busse, III
Mar 10, 2012 Edward H. Busse, III rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-owned
NO SPOLIERS!! I liked it - a really good story. The island was a real treat - the "bad guys" were really, really bad...which was good...just when you thought they couldn't be nastier...they got nastier. The characters were fun and well developed - especially the "good guys" - boy...were they fun!! The science behind the whole story seemed believable to me and Mr. Fahy did a nice job of connecting all the dots. I also liked his weaving of geo-politics into the story and the military/government co ...more
Oscar
El argumento no es nuevo: una cadena televisiva, que ya no sabe como aumentar su audiencia, inventa un reality show que tiene lugar en un barco, con científicos, actores y tripulación, que se dedican a visitar lugares paradisíacos por todo el mundo, montar fiestas y liarse entre ellos; hasta que dan con una isla perdida en el Pacífico, de nombre Henders; una pequeña isla misteriosa donde la evolución de las especies ha seguido otro camino; por supuesto, los protagonistas no tardarán en saber dón ...more
Pauline
Mar 21, 2012 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ლ(ooლ)

That is what I looked like while reading this book. As a rule, any book that has to do with science/animal/evolution stuff makes me want to dance around with joy. Add to that a WELL WRITTEN story and I just about com bust and die.

Yeah...I really really enjoyed this. It was a little slow to start in the beginning but as soon as the action started it didn't really ever stop. The general plot is that a reality-tv crew find a previously untouched island in the middle of nowhere fill with high
Brianne
Oct 26, 2012 Brianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed me from the beginning even though the start is just a scientific list the writing style in entrancing and once your introduced to the characters you can't go back.

The brilliantly imagined creatures of Hender's Islands are amazing even to my fantasy reading attuned mind. The tale is tied together with moments off the island watching different scientific theories of life on earth then proceeds to abolish those theories and prove them right according to the relevance of similarities and di
Alyce (At Home With Books)
Fragment is fast-paced, full of scientific detail and highly entertaining. If you like Michael Crichton books, then you will probably love Fragment.

Although more plot driven than character driven, there are some fun and interesting characters in this book. Nell is the underrated lady botanist (she reminded me a little bit of both Ellie from Jurassic Park and Jo from the movie Twister - which I just found out was also written in part by Michael Crichton). She's the one who first realizes just how
Lisa
May 28, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction
Warren Fahy’s Fragment follows a group of scientists filming a reality show aboard a boat in the Pacific Ocean. A distress call leads the crew to unexplored Henders Island, where they encounter a host of terrifying new organisms.

As a biologist (well, biology grad student) , I was intrigued by the description of this book, and requested a review copy through LibraryThing. I was curious as to the advertised scientific aspects of the story; many books and movies, while entertaining, fail when it co
Mandy Moody
Feb 19, 2010 Mandy Moody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started Fragment I viewed it as a fairly obvious copy cat of Michael Crichton's masterpiece, Jurassic Park: Bk. 1. I don't feel that way anymore.
I've been stuck in a sort of genre vortex for about 2 years. 98% of the books I've read in that time have been Historical Fiction. While I love the genre, it was time for me to branch out again.
I'm doing that by easing into it with some light, fun books. Fragment was recommended as a Readers Choice on my local library website, so I decided to che
Katy
Jun 07, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine-book
I am in awe over this book - this is one of the most imaginative books set in a theoretical real-world setting I have ever read. The ideas promoted are supported to a certain degree by facts - of course, I'm quite certain people will be nit-picking it to death, but if one suspends belief, as one should do when reading this type of novel, one can have a lot of fun with this story.

When a reality TV show called SeaLife! stumbles across a remote, unexplored island, it seems like reality TV gold. Un
Nicolas
Bon, ça va être court, mais saignant.
Ce roman raconte donc la découverte d'une île du Pacifique, isolée depuis des temps géologiques, par des participants d'une émission de télé-réalité, ainsi que toutes les aventures suivant cette découverte, jusqu'à sa destruction finale.
Avant d'aller plus loin, un avertissement : ne le lisez pas, c'est une bouse commericale formattée pour le grand spectacle sans aucune espèce de cohérence. Passé cette ligne, il y a des spoilers à chaque phrase ou presque.
Résu
Mary
Jun 22, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get this as and advance reading copy. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Fragment is roller coaster ride that delves into the possibility of running across an alien species that is not from outer space but from our own planet. Fahy goes beyond Jurassic Park to describe an eco system that has, in its isolation, evolved separately from the rest of the world.
How would we react? What possible threats might there be to our own environment? What moral obligations do we have to a ne
Nathan
Mar 09, 2012 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to see more books like this one. There are too few books like this out there, and I highly recomend it to all science fiction fans. I think it is awesome any time an author can transport a reader to a fantastic place, and make it feel plausible. I am going to read this one again right before Pandemonium is released.

At first I rated this book 4 stars, but I couldn't really decide what to rate it. I eventually changed to 5 stars because for me, the book continued to grow on me after
Willa
Jun 14, 2009 Willa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
A reality show is being filmed on a research ship. One of the participating scientists applied because the ship was going to sail close to an island that she had been interested in for her entire life, an island that had been cut off from all contact with civilization, or even with any other forms of life, for centuries. To her surprise, she was chosen. The show's producer, intent on increasing viewers and ratings, is constantly trying to get the scientists to have sex with each other, but most ...more
Meagan
Aug 31, 2011 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book? This was a fun book. It was chock-full of scientific discussion about evolution, environmentalism, biology, and ecosystems, but since I've always had a hidden core of inept science nerd, that's okay by me. What I didn't understand still sounded plausible, and appealed to the part of me that researched DNA sequencing in high school. I understood enough to get the point, though, and as a result believed in the characters more.

Speaking of characters: most of them are fodder for violent c
  • Antarktos Rising (Origins, #4)
  • Natural Selection
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Black Rain (Hawker & Laidlaw, #1)
  • Cretaceous Dawn
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • The Loch
  • Deeper
  • The Ocean Dark: A Novel
Author of the New York Times bestseller FRAGMENT, nominated for a BSFA and the International Thriller Writers Best First Novel Award, the sequel PANDEMONIUM and his latest book, the epic fantasy CRIMSON.
More about Warren Fahy...

Fragment (2 books)
  • Pandemonium

“The balance that we see around us is a snapshot of a perpetual world war that is, for the most part, acted out too slowly for us to perceive.” 0 likes