How to Drink

How to Drink

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  16 reviews

In the past few decades, many of us have become sophisticated about food, but we have not given the same attention to what we drink. In How to Drink, Victoria Moore aims to redress the balance, by showing how to drink well throughout the seasons and at all times of day.

She explains how to make the most delicious coffee and juices; how to choose wine that complements your f

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

Hannah
I went with the lower rating for this (I was so tempted by "it was amazing!") purely because I felt a bit silly giving it an amazing rating. Which is, frankly, ridiculous. But, that is how it goes.

Anyway, I really did love this book. Even the bits about drinks I don't enjoy. I read, and enjoyed, an entire chapter about whisky, which is a drink I want to like and just don't despite trying it again and again in different forms. There was an entire chapter on tea! And it included parts on how teaba...more
Bookaholic
Dacă o gospodină adevărată trebuie să ştie cum se prepară, aranjează & servesc cel mai bine zecile de borcane de pe rafturi, la fel de bine ar trebui să înveţe acum cum se păstreze (tot pe rafturi) sticlele de băuturi şi cum se le servească precis asortate la mâncărurile deja învăţate – spune Victoria Moore.

Şi citind Ce bem? Totul despre băuturile alcoolice şi nealcoolice mi s-a confirmat ce bănuiam deja: cu băutu’ nu te joci sau, mai simlu, băutu’ nu e treabă uşoară. E un ritual! Nu vorbim...more
Deb
A fun book about drinking the best of everything--cocktails, spirits, coffee, tea, etc. The British author breaks it down seasonally and includes great recipes for drinks, plus a few for food to accompany it.
Mary
I can't remember where I got the tip for this book. It was either online somewhere or a newspaper article. I'm just really glad I followed it up.

This is a book that helps to fill the whole in the drinks world not covered by wine or cocktails. The food world is well served by the number of books dedicated to it. The drinks world is badly served in comparison. If you're looking for a book on wine, well you could choose from 100's of titles. Cocktail recipe book, hundreds. But not every drink is wi...more
Oliver
I am slightly conflicted on this. For one it really isn't much of a book, once you take off the hard cover and get rid of the pretty big print illustrations, index and other padding it's a collection of scribbled notes (or bits of old journalism) and not really something I suspect most people read cover to cover, though I did.

Here's what I liked about the book:
Moore makes the case early on that we devote an enormous amount of literature to food - but despite a few specialised areas (wine or perh...more
Catherine Woodman
Fun book, and both my son and I read it--I think he liked it more, and learned more from it. The stories are funny, and the information is solid--kind of a British centric world view followed by a leaning towards European view of beverages--but that said, it depicts it well. She has a much better handle on gin than either bourbon or tequila, for example, and actually has a half a dozen things to do with Campari (some of which sound intriguing, I might add). The food pairings are reasonable, if n...more
Josh Hamacher
This book was available on Amazon.com as a free Kindle download. After reading several breathless five-star reviews I eagerly downloaded it. According to those reviewers this was a guide to pairing drink with food, a subject I'm interested in.

It really isn't that kind of book.

What it seems to be about is what the author, who I had never heard of, drinks with her meals. And her tastes in both food and drink are very, very different from mine. Some people might find the suggestions to their taste...more
Krishna
Downloaded this because it was free and it seemed like an interesting premise. It wasn't really the book I was looking for though - it's mainly cocktail recipes with a little background prose. I wish there had been more attention given to non-alcoholic drinks. I wish there had been parts about drinking rituals like toasts and cheersing and what have you. I wish there had been a discussion of bottles and cans and the rare instances when the can is what you want. But at least it was free.
Sylvie
This book is extremely readable, while also providing plenty of recipes and essential information about brewing coffee and tea, choosing wine, and stocking your bar. There’s something for everyone, from how to make Campari less bitter to why you shouldn’t drink Champagne in a fluted glass. I loved that the book is organized by season, which took me back to the days where you could tell what time of year it was by whether I was drinking a gin & tonic or a bourbon & ginger. Good times.
Mike
It was free on my new Kindle so thought I'd give that a shot before I blew any money on it. That said, this book is fascinating. I read the whole thing in a day without realizing it - and I'm fairly certain that wasn't due to the novelty of my new smug reading device. She breaks down everything and makes me want to become a drink snob. I'll likely be revisiting some of the seemingly exotic yet highly accessible drink recipes here.
Tim
A humorous and opinionated ride through drinking, alone and with guests. Heavy on alcoholic beverages, but also with thoughts on tea, coffee, and non-alcoholic refreshers (and even some recipes for food). At times its Englishness was a foreign language (especially in phrases and brands), but it was overall delightful and I hope I do not quite get to all the drink she has recommended. At least this weekend.
Mandy
I really liked this book, simply because it puts into prose the history and origin of all types of beverage. Cookbooks are a tremendous amount of fun for me, and there are recipes for drinks and accompaniements all through this book.
Louise
This is easy reading, fast, and absolutely brilliant. I enjoyed every second, and I have referred to it in conversation ever since. Excellent journalist, who writes a great book.
Caroline
I never thought I'd see the day when I'd feel the need to read a tome telling me how to drink.. Its a lovely book. I especially liked the tea and coffee advice.
Anna
This is just a gorgeous little book, both for the content and the illustrations which are comprised entirely of antique type.
S
Lovely, creative and full of must have info! I really don't say this very often, but I need to own this book!!
Whitney
Informative while keeping the writing style light and adventuresome. Nice read.
Dillish
Dillish marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Patrick Donovan
Patrick Donovan marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Janet Luling
Janet Luling marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Ssatyavolu
Ssatyavolu marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
  • The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Mac & Cheese Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing
  • Stupid American History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Royal Wisdom: The Most Daft, Cheeky, and Brilliant Quotes from Britain's Royal Family
  • En Route: A Paramedic's Stories of Life, Death, and Everything in Between
  • A Stingray Bit My Nipple!: True Stories from Real Travelers
  • Cybill Disobedience: How I Survived Beauty Pageants, Elvis, Sex, Bruce Willis, Lies, Marriage, Motherhood, Hollywood, and the Irrepressible Urge to Say What I Think
  • Heidegger's Glasses
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
  • 5 of USA's Best Trips
  • Heating Up the Kitchen: Recipes with Love from Lucky Harbor
How to Drink at Christmas: Winter Warmers, Party Drinks and Christmas Cocktails. Victoria Moore How To Drink Stone Thrower How to Drink at Christmas: Winter warmers, party drinks and festive cocktails