Start by marking “The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)

The Bonehunters (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #6)

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,517 Ratings  ·  428 Reviews
The Seven Cities Rebellion has been crushed. Sha'ik is dead. One last rebel force remains, holed up in the city of Y'Ghatan and under the fanatical command of Leoman of the Flails. The prospect of laying siege to this ancient fortress makes the battle-weary Malaz 14th Army uneasy. For it was here that the Empire's greatest champion Dassem Ultor was slain and a tide of Mala ...more
Published (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Bonehunters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bonehunters

Conor
Feb 20, 2015 Conor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, malazan
'Aye,' he said in a rasp, 'we went hunting… through the bones of the damned city. And then we crawled outa that grave.'

The Adjunct's gaze left the ragged man, traveled slowly, along the line, the gaunt faces, the deathly eyes staring out from dust-caked faces. 'Bonehunters in truth, then.' She paused, then said 'Welcome back, soldiers.'

Another really strong installment in this series. The return of a load of my favourite characters with loads of really cool developments in the world and plot
Kaitlin
Aug 10, 2015 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
--- INITIAL THOUGHTS ---

So happy to have finished this up! It's the longest book I've read EVER I believe.
I have a lot of thoughts to sort through before I review this so my review will follow very soon.
Suffice to say it was very very good!

--- FINAL REVIEW ---

So, this book is the book which I was a little intimidated by when I saw the size and this coming from someone who read a LOT of very big books. It's a whopping 1,200 pages, and much as I love the Malazan characters and world I did find
Duffy Pratt
Sep 15, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, shared-world
10/10/11 - This series keeps getting better. This book doesn't work as a standalone novel, but that's not too surprising in a book for number six in an ongoing saga. Rather, this one felt to me like two novels in one. First, there is the baptism by fire of the Bonehunters. And then second, there is the Return of the 14th Army to Malaz Island. Both of these sections stand up with anything already in the series.

GRR Martin got famous by killing off a beloved character. He did it once, and since th
David Sven
Sep 16, 2013 David Sven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
I could again go into great length about how Erikson brings his world to life in deep and detailed world building, or how the reread of each of the Malazan books is a vastly superior experience to the initial read given the density of information that is missed on round one – but it gets a little repetitive after book six as far as reviews go and if you have got this far you are probably already in love with the series anyway. So I’ll try and stick to some of the basics of plot and theme for tho ...more
Lori
Apr 09, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's useless. I keep intending to take a break between these and read something else that I've been eagerly anticipating, but the fact of the matter is I'm addicted to this series. And it's all I want to read. So why deny myself?

Finally finished! I haven't had much reading time this whole past month, and I have been so so frustrated, because this is such a marvelous addition that continues to satisfy and feed my obsession with this series. Also, it does meander a bit in the middle so it's not as
Mike
Apr 21, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epics, reviewed
As much as I made fun of the previous book, Midnight Tides, as being the quintessential Malazan book (huge new cast of characters, place we had never been to before, time period before the main arc, etc.), The Bonehunters struck me as a very conventional, but still quite excellent, novel. We returned to see many, many familiar faces from past books. It was so strange recognize just about every main character, know what was going on, and understand the dynamics of their respective situations. Lik ...more
Dara
It's really difficult to review a book that's this far into a series without spoiling anything but dammit, I'm going to try. The Bonehunters picks up where House of Chains left off. We meet back up with the Fourteenth Army under Adjunct Tavore's command, catch up with Karsa Orlong, and also spend some time with Ganoes Paran.

Steven Erikson still loves his duos. Karsa Orlong has a new friend in Samar Dev, a witch and scholar from Seven Cities. Samar Dev is one of the few new characters Erikson int
Chris
3.75 stars.

I almost dropped it to 3 stars, as there were lots of WTF moments and confusing drawn out parts. In truth, this book could have probably been half the length and been just as good (as long as it was the right half).

The Bonehunters were great. Paran, Kalam and Quick Ben, and Karsa Orlong. Oh, and I loved (view spoiler) Badass stuff.

When this book was good, it was fantastic. When not as good, it was like a big, long "
Tammy
Jan 12, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erikson is Brilliant.
These books keep getting better and better. I think at the end of Bonehunters you really start to grasp how Epic this tale is, and why it can never be matched. The character development was superbly done and as usual different plots converge in the end into arguably the best climax i've read so far, i mean i held my breath for three chapters straight, it was intense and very rewarding.
some notable characters: Cotillion, he was amazing. Ganoes Paran, Fiddler, Kalam/Quick Ben
Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.)
Feb 06, 2011 Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) by: lonebearimages@gmail.com
Well, we've officially turned the corner in this series--there is a dim light ahead that is the end of the tunnel. The pieces are all on the chess-board now, and 'The Game' has begun. The Bonehunters is Steven Erikson's sixth book in his multi-layered epic high fantasy series, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen." I've actually moved far beyond just recommending this series for folks who love fantasy fiction. This is a complex tale that breathes life into Erikson's fictional world; a world comprised ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: This has been my favorite book of the series thus far. There are just a few minor things that prevent me from giving it a 5 star rating.

Full Review
The book probably introduces the fewest number of new characters. As we've passed the halfway point of the series, it appears that the majority of the very large ensemble cast has been introduced and the stage is finally set for the looming battle.

Sides are forming up, but just who is on which side still isn't clear. This book con
Mpauli
Click, clack is the sound of the bones I've bound to my hair. Clack, click is the sound of the bones on my clothes. As I march in tune with my fellow Fallen, I hear Fiddler's song chime on the wind. With tears in my eyes I move forward through ever-changing warrens of grief and wonder and magic. I'll follow the Adjunct now, whereever she leads us, however the opposition, cause I'm one of hers now. A Bonehunter.

Oh, the things I've seen in the past months. I saw the soldiers from Genabackis united
The Crimson Fucker
War, assassins, treason, mages on crack, psychopathic alcoholics, maniac depressive gods, retarded magi, horny spirits from the past, and a stubborn mo fo warrior!! You name this book got it!!! Pure gold!!!
TS Chan
Aug 03, 2015 TS Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

What I liked most about this instalment of the Malazan Book of the Fallen is the convergence of the various plots and characters from the preceding 5 books. Yup, convergence - a singular theme linking all the books so far. It's a welcomed change to see familiar and favourite faces coming back together in a single tome and finally seeing signs of their individual arcs coming to a head.

The pacing in The Bonehunters was almost spot on, and the multiple switches between POVs in a single c
Nate
Feb 22, 2014 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FANBOY NOTE: I give all of Erikson's books a "bonus star" of sorts just due to the immense nature of the thing he's pulling off. Thusly, this is more a five-star book but I still have to reserve that spot for classics like Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice. Yes, it's a dumb system but this series kind of demands stuff like that.

So thus far I've perceived three main threads of the story, broken up by the continents on which they take place (more or less); Genabackis, Seven Cities, and Lether. Th
Carl Black
Feb 16, 2014 Carl Black rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's going to be hard to write a review about book 6 without spoilers so I will just share my thoughts. This book mainly follows on from House of Chains and weaves in a few small characters from Midnight Tides. I found it to be one of the more complex ones of the series so far even though we only have a small amount of new characters or does it just seem that way after reading Midnight Tides? :)

This book is really about the 14th army (Tavore's) and their journey through Seven Cities leading to t
uroš
Jun 05, 2008 uroš rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: to every fan of Epic (with a capital E)
The review is originally available at Realms of Speculative Fiction

It took me the better part of the month to work -- yes, sometimes it really felt like a chore, but which ultimately paid off in the end -- my way through the sixth novel in the sprawling Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I found out that most of the things I’ve ascertained in my review of Midnight Tides (review) still hold true for its successor – The Bonehunters. Erikson is a genius epic fantasy writer, but alas, the series is
Anirudh
Jul 12, 2014 Anirudh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It would seem my ratings for this series will not show much improvement. As usual. when you open the book you find out that it has a huge number of new characters and a whole new plot which has little to do with what you were expecting.

This marks the return of the Bridgeburners or what's left of them. The book is too dull to read without them. There are a few good jokes here and there. Magic as usual is tragic. There are new houses and more mystery. The writing as always is very detailed.

Recom
Hanne
There’s a peculiar trend here: I’ve adored all the uneven books in the series, but all the even instalments have been an uphill battle. I felt completely out of my league in book 2; book 4 had too many story lines that didn’t interest me, and this one again just isn’t up to the level of the other books.
I have to add one thing though, because it probably didn’t help my experience either: I was half way into the book when I put it on hold because I left on holiday (and Erikson really doesn’t qual
Linette
It's official, I am hooked on this series. It took a while, but the massive depth of this world fascinates me, and the characters keep me coming back. I wouldn't even know where to start with an analytic review, so I'll just say that the effort put into reading these books and struggling to understand them is worth it.

In this book all the different factions and characters begin to converge, and the result is cataclysmic. On to the next book - must find out what happens next.
Scott
Aug 06, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
"And so we weep for the fallen. We weep for those yet to fall, and in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing."
Zayne
May 13, 2014 Zayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite books thus far. This might have been one of the most action-packed books in the series (so far) and that's saying something. Gigantic battles, sieges, back-stabbing, heart-wrenching moments, and more battles. I loved every second of this book. There was probably a part or two that bored me a little, but other than that, the book was absolutely amazing. And I look forward to reading the next novel.

Also, I just want to say (view spoiler)
Victor Rios
Feb 14, 2015 Victor Rios rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esse livro tinha tudo pra ser perfeito.
mas Erikson caga ele no ultimo capítulo.

tirando isso, o livro é maravilhoso mesmo tendo 1220 páginas.

Point of view que foram bons:
Apsalar (4/5)
Bonehunters(5/5)
Cotillion(5/5)
Ganoes Paran(4/5)

Point of View que não foram bons, ou abaixo do esperado:
Samar Dev/Karsa (3/5)
Cutter e companhia (2/5)
Icarium (1/5)

Pensei muito em dar uma nota menor pra esse livro, mas os pontos fracos são poucos e minoria (em número de páginas) no livro. Além disso há dois eventos no l
seak
Nov 07, 2009 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Amazing. I kept hearing that the Malazan Book of the Fallen series starts to go downhill, but I sure haven't found that to be the case. It was so good I don't know where to start. There was constant action and lots of great characters all in one book. Learning more about Quick Ben was great and I felt there was a decent amount of explanation in this installment. That doesn't rule out the fact that I was utterly confused on a number of occurrences.
Geoff
Apr 22, 2015 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another strong entry in the Malazan series. At times, the greater story of the series comes out here and there in this novel. But I also feel there is much to be revealed on this front.

If Erikson isn't going to give me more Anomander Rake, at least there's Karsa to try to fill the void. I'm very interested to see whats going to happen when all of the 'champions' meet their challenger.
Luisa
Dec 11, 2014 Luisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story just keeps getting better. Now it seems that all the other books are converging, and lots of my favorite characters are running into each other. This was a nonstop read, although it is quite long and so I took my time. :)
I love this series! <3
oh also
KARSA!
and also
QUICK BEN AND KALAM!
Awesome. :)
Can't wait for the next one!
Miloš
Jun 17, 2015 Miloš rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic...
Viridian5
May 24, 2010 Viridian5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed Steven Erikson's The Bonehunters more than his last book in this series, Midnight Tides, but my problem with Midnight Tides is more about my expectations when reading a series than Erikson failing as a writer. I found Midnight Tides involving enough once I really got into it, but it felt like a huge digression from the events of the previous novels and Erikson choosing to talk about this part of Trull Sengar's history after he'd already been introduced in what appeared to be the future ...more
Andre
Sep 19, 2011 Andre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
NO SPOILERS

The theme of my limited review is commitment, so if anyone is uncomfortable with that, I recommend a review written by the TNT tag team over at Speculative Fiction who wrote a great one about the book. No commitment required.

At a bit over 1,200 pagers of densely packed script, it was a commitment to read The Bonehunters. In fact, since about book four, picking up an Erickson book has been about like agreeing to date exclusively. I have been reading a few other things on the side, but
Evgeny
May 27, 2013 Evgeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of the best Malazan books so far. This is the first book from the series which has a very gripping middle part. Finally no new races, places, characters in the beginning; it jumps right in the middle of action. My only minor complain: people still wander around the desert aimlessly (what is it about the holy desert Raraku that makes people do so?). Mercifully, it takes a small part of the book. My (fairly) major complain: one of the characters died an almost meaningless death almost being a ...more
Beyond Reality: THE BONEHUNTERS: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*) 10 13 Dec 01, 2015 10:26AM
Beyond Reality: 9/6--The Bonehunters: Chapters 18-21 14 14 Dec 01, 2015 10:20AM
Beyond Reality: 8/30--The Bonehunters: Chapters 15-17 17 11 Dec 01, 2015 06:57AM
Beyond Reality: 8/23--The Bonehunters: Chapters 12-14 20 20 Nov 20, 2015 02:44PM
Beyond Reality: 8/16--The Bonehunters: Chapters 9-11 11 15 Nov 18, 2015 10:24AM
Beyond Reality: 8/9--The Bonehunters: Chapters 7-8 17 15 Nov 17, 2015 09:12AM
Beyond Reality: 8/2--The Bonehunters: Chapters 4-6 21 16 Nov 13, 2015 10:23AM
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Malazan Empire, #2)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #8)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)
  • Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • Toll the Hounds (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Dust of Dreams (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Crippled God (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)

“There is something profoundly cynical, my friends, in the notion of paradise after death. The lure is evasion. The promise is excusative. One need not accept responsibility for the world as it is, and by extension, one need do nothing about it. To strive for change, for true goodness in this mortal world, one must acknowledge and accept, within one's own soul, that this mortal reality has purpose in itself, that its greatest value is not for us, but for our children and their children. To view life as but a quick passage alone a foul, tortured path – made foul and tortured by our own indifference – is to excuse all manner of misery and depravity, and to exact cruel punishment upon the innocent lives to come.

I defy this notion of paradise beyond the gates of bone. If the soul truly survives the passage, then it behooves us – each of us, my friends – to nurture a faith in similitude: what awaits us is a reflection of what we leave behind, and in the squandering of our mortal existence, we surrender the opportunity to learn the ways of goodness, the practice of sympathy, empathy, compassion and healing – all passed by in our rush to arrive at a place of glory and beauty, a place we did not earn, and most certainly do not deserve.”
124 likes
“Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering.
Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them.
Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death.”
121 likes