Start by marking “The Last Battle: The Mayaguez Incident and the End of the Vietnam War” as Want to Read:
The Last Battle: The Mayaguez Incident and the End of the Vietnam War

The Last Battle: The Mayaguez Incident and the End of the Vietnam War

On May just days the American Embassy in 12, 1975, after Saigon was evacuated, Khmer Rouge forces seized the SS Mayaguez. Three days later, President Ford launched a military raid to rescue the crew of the merchant ship. But as the attack began on Koh Tang Island, the hostages were being released from an entirely different location. Incomplete intelligence reports had unwi ...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Plume (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Battle

'Aussie Rick'
Jun 26, 2009 'Aussie Rick' rated it it was amazing
This is a great story; told in the manner similar to Mark Bowden's 'Black Hawk Down' and both books sit proudly in my library. Prior to reading this account of the 'Mayaguez' incident I had very little knowledge of what had occurred other than an American ship had been seized by communist forces during or just after the Vietnam War. I wasn't aware that American military personnel had lost their lives in retaking the ship or even that a battle had been fought.

This book, for me, was full of surpri
Urey Patrick
This is an excellent account of the last battle of the Vietnam War. The author has painstakingly researched and documented the battle, the details of the chaotic command and control, the woeful planning and preparation, the ad hoc execution of the battle plan and the individual courage and heroics of the participants. He has brought to the front the stories of the three Marines who were left behind, held out then were captured and executed by the Cambodians - and scandalously ignored for years b ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 13, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
In 1975 Cambodia's Khmer Rouge captured the American merchant ship S.S. Mayguez. In order to prevent a replay of the Puebo incident, the US government launches a rescue attempt. This is the story of the rescue and the fate of many participants. The story had been classified for many years including the fact that three Marines had missed the withdrawal evacuation. In 2000 the remains of several of the patricipants were returned to relatives.
Jim
Feb 17, 2015 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: history, war
I remember following the MAYAQUEZ incident when I was young, but there sure were a lot of things we weren't told about then. An interesting read. The Marines apparently left three of their own on the beach, all of whom were brutally executed---and then the US covered it.
Nathan
Jan 10, 2010 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A vague and blundering account of a little-known event. After pages of tedious forensics interspersed with corny, overdone sentiment, I was still unsure of the exact import of the titular incident. Not so much boring or offensive as just confusing and incoherent.
Diana
Jul 15, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great war story. Very sad but so well written that the whole time reading, I felt that I was there. Learned a bit about the US Marines and their policies.
Timothy
Oct 02, 2011 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story...as a former Marine it's hard to believe we left some our own behind.
Dave Gray
Jun 09, 2009 Dave Gray rated it liked it
Signed by Col John P Lucas, Knife 23 and my former boss
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Nadir
Nadir rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Conor Day
Conor Day marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Bill Mullen
Bill Mullen rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Russ
Russ rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jason Mccue
Jason Mccue marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Jon Rupinski
Jon Rupinski marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Noelle
Noelle rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Jb3
Jb3 rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Ate Hoekstra
Ate Hoekstra marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Trent
Trent rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015