Start by marking “On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)” as Want to Read:
On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)

On a Wild Night (Cynster #8)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  6,047 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews

Where are all the exciting men in London?

After spending years in the glittering ballrooms of the ton, Amanda Cynster is utterly bored by the current crop of colorless suitors. Determined to take matters into her own hands, one night she shockingly goes where no respectable lady ever should, but where many an intriguing gentleman might be found.

But titillating excitement

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2002)

maricar
Nov 28, 2009 maricar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, series
Such a protracted courtship-slash-equivocation. And I do have respect for Laurens' writing, but this novel, for all its steamy-sexcapades, left a bitter aftertaste, as the premise is somehow an insult to any woman of reasonable intellect; as well as an affirmation for any misogynist.

It wouldn’t have been so bad, really, if it posed as a suspense novel instead--one that just happened to have an awful lot of naked scenes.

Amanda came off like a spoiled, coldly calculating, I’ll-have-it-all-laid-at-
Susan (susayq ~)
3.5-4 stars

While I really enjoyed this, I had to deduct some stars due to the inconsistent way the Cynster family behaved in this book. As close as they are, there's no way I can believe that NO ONE realized Amanda was going to the undesirable places she was going in search of a husband. There is also no way I'll ever believe that the Bar Cynster would accept Martin telling him about Amanda's actions and letting it be assumed they've slept together and they wouldn't be outraged, much less that t
Kit★
Well, time again for the monthly series read of this. I was really, really looking forward to this one (and still am the next one a little bit), but though it was off to a pretty good start, it took a turn downhill somewhere around the middle or so. It wasn't really a bad read in the end, just some stuff happened that was almost unbelievable. I did like the characters pretty well for the most part. I think Dexter was one of the best men yet in the series. I found him to be a good hero, and I don ...more
Maria
I think I will classify Ms. Lauren's writing under a new genre, 20th century Regency, although even in the 20th century Miss Amanda Cynster's behavior would be considered fast. In the early 19th century it would have been considered not only fast but loose. Nevertheless the plot is better than most of her books and I enjoyed reading it. Martin, Earl of Dexter, is a bit more believable as a male hero. He does try to deal with Amanda in an honorable way as defined by the early 19th century, but of ...more
Lita Bouquard
Amanda Cynster sets out to find a man who is like the Cynster males. Yes after rebelling all these years against the brothers/cousins who were ferocious in protecting her and her twin Ameila and all the Cynster females, Amanda and Amelia recognize they want a man who will value them and family above all else.
She goes outside the ton to find someone because after 5 seasons she knows who is around and no one is her hero. At a gaming hell she sees Dexter- a hero who helps her when challenged to a
Brenda (b)
I thought this was a great story. Amanda knew what she wanted in a husband and set out to find it, even though the path lead her where a respectable lady shouldn't be caught. The fact she had fun carrying out her plan was an unexpected benefit. Martin, aka Dexter, was a wounded (mentally/emotionally, not physically) hero. The type we girls like to dream will sweep us off our feet.
Whitney
3 stars

Amanda was bratty. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but I couldn't look past her erratic and juvenile behavior. There's a big difference between a strong woman showing the world she won't be held back by her gender and just acting like an idiot. There was even a brilliant speech delivered by Luc basically saying what we were all thinking.... "Who the fuck do you think you are, Amanda?" and she scoffed and walked away. So, the author wanted knew how she was coming across and still went
Grete

Review originally published at http://www.bookthing.co.uk (Reviewed by Tracey Risebrow)

Amanda Cynster cannot find a man worthy of her love in the ballrooms of the ton. Taking matters into her own hands she ventures where no self respecting young lady should ever go, but where eligible gentleman can always be found!

Tracey Risebrow
Review originally posted at www.bookthing.co.uk

Martin, the Earl of Dexter has shunned the ton since the scandal surrounding him 10 years previously. After rescuing Amanda from a risky situation, one of her own making, he finds he cannot avoid her at his usual haunts. Is
J. Leigh Hunter
I wrote a general review below that covers all the Stephanie Laurens books I’ve read thus far. To add to that, this book, On a Wild Night, is not only my favorite of her books, but it’s one of my Top 5 Picks of all time. I’ve read this book at least three times and refer back to it on occasion for some of my favorite parts. It’s my go-to for the “perfect” romance story with hot sex scenes and a satisfying ending.

~

Story and Writing Style
I love, love, love Stephanie Laurens. She is one I look up t
Clare
Dec 10, 2013 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a mystery in this book, but it only really started near the end and was finished so quick, and so obviously, that there was no real point to it. Which means this was 518 pages of pure romance.

I have liked the twins in every book they have appeared in, and this book gave them a chance to be individuals. Or at least for Amanda to be an individual. Amelia's romance is introduced in a small way, setting us up for the next book.

There were moments of hilarity, mainly due to Percival Lytton-S
Oleta Blaylock
Feb 11, 2013 Oleta Blaylock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Amanda Cynster's story. The twins have decided they are never going to find the husband they want in the ballrooms of London. They each come up with a plan to find their mates and set out to make sure they get what they want. Amanda's plan is to go to the less desirable places within society. She meets Martin Fulbridge and decides that this is the man who will be her future husband.

Amanda is a clever girl and intelligent enough to know that she has to be careful to not let Martin know wh
Sheila Melo
Mar 31, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing
I'd rate this a 4.5

ON A WILD NIGHT is the eighth novel in the Cynsters series. It is the story of Amanda Cynster who along with her twin sister has been looking for a man as wonderful as the Cynster men. For six years, they have been unsuccessful. Now they have decided to change their tactics. Amanda goes into the more unsavory social circles. There she meets Martin Fulbridge, the Earl of Dexter. Martin was accused of murder ten years before and was banished by his family. Having attained the ti
Pamela Shropshire
Dec 31, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed everything about this book except for one thing, which I shall get into later. First, the positive.

The Cynster family. As always, my favorite thing about this extended series is the family interactions. I particularly enjoy Lady Osbaldstone (who reminds me of Julia Quinn's Lady Danbury, even down to the cane), and this book featured Lady O to a great degree.

I liked Martin very much for the same reasons that Amanda did; basically, he's cut from the same cloth as the Bar Cynster.
This is apparently part of a series about the Cynster family. Regency England, natch. I thought it was tremendously silly, and not necessarily in a good way. Maybe outrageous is a better adjective. It’s one of those books where the heroine does things that are just slightly risqué by modern standards, but by period standards, they would basically turn her into an outcast from society. Naturally, the only consequence she suffers is being married to the man she loves, which is really what she was ...more
Joy
Olanrewaju Olarinde
I didn't enjoy this book any better that its successor. They mostly had the same them. The overly sought after Heroine and the near perfect Hero.
And then the sex............that was like 25% of the book.
I did like Luc a bit in the story. I guess because it wasn't his story, he seemed more grounded.
Martin, I disliked. The fact he knowingly allowed himself to be manipulated made the story dull. He knew what Amanda was doing and he just let it happen. No counter attempt or anything.
And I believe th
Megan Lavey-Heaton
This was not my favorite of the Cynster novels. After getting to know younger Amanda and Amelia in the earlier books, like Hyacinth in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series, you knew that the twins were bound to be headstrong to go toe-to-toe with the dominating members of their family that came before them.

But how Amanda is presented isn't that sympathetic. The way she pursues Martin is eerily parallel to the suitor pursuing Amanda in the story itself. But while the guy was set in his place, it's app
Melodramaticfool
I have been looking forward to the twin's stories for so long! We start off with Amanda Cynster, conspiring with her sister that it is time they found their perfect mates and married. But woe, the men of the ton are boring and ill suited!
Which leaves us to question, what is a Cynster to do?!
Why, travel around the less respectable parts of town!

And it is here that our budding romance begins as Amanda Cynster finds herself in a more dire situation when it comes to cards, our handsome Martin ap
Kris Eton

This was my first Stephanie Laurens book, and it will be my last. I read about 200 pages and NOTHING happened beyond a really dull 'romance' between the hero and heroine. I actually stopped reading it after about 200 pages, because I didn't want to waste my time on it anymore.

The heroine seemed like a spoiled teenager. I never had any sympathy for her. And I didn't understand her compulsion to target the hero as her future husband.

The hero was likeable enough, but there was a mystery in his past
Celina
This book lacks the Cysnter thrill. And for the most part of the book, it's all about the wooing and romance and "playing the game". The mystery comes later towards last 1/4 of the book. And it's predictable! I can't even fathom how Amanda could've forgotten her early observation that between Luc and Edward, Edward looks more like Martin. Sheez.

Anyway, I'm biased. I'm in love with Dexter! Although Luc is pretty...hmm. I have a feeling their book (Melly and Luc's) will be better. I love how Cynst
Tasneem
Jun 02, 2015 Tasneem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
This is a fabulous read. Amanda lives up to her Cynster name, searching for passion and adventure. Martin on the other hand is the rogue with the heart of gold. They are fabulous together and his attempt to remove her from the path of ruin is beautifully narrated. On the way they fall in love and their passion is red hot.

Re-read 02/06/2015.
One of the most irritating books I've read in a long time. Amanda is so sure of herself. She's like some child wilfully determined to get her own way. Martin
Kelly
It is the finer details of Laurens novels which really make the stories for me. The characters are always complex but believable, while the plots themselves are wonderfully written and well-developed. More importantly Laurens captures the air of the Regency period without boring the reader with long verses in social stucture or politics, nor are her novels bogged down with the language of the time.

This installment was a bit flatter than others for me. Usually there are two plots, a criminal plot
Helene Harrison
Review - I felt that Amanda and Dexter fell in love too quickly; he asked her to marry him and then about 3/4 of the book was just him asking her over and over to marry him, and her refusing. I think what would have made this book better was more on the scandal which had almost ruined Dexter, and this affected their relationship. However, I did find the characters very likeable - Dexter was tormented, and after reading about Amanda and Amelia in the previous Cynster books, I was intrigued to fin ...more
LaFleurBleue
I did not like the whole book.
It starts with Amanda deciding to find potential husband material outside of the ballroom. I liked this idea, even though I had trouble convincing myself a demure young woman could do as much without staining her reputation. However she soon seems extremely vindicative about getting all or nothing and adamantly refusing Martin's marriage offer, as long as he does not tell her "I love You". This part I really did not like and I had the feeling it lasted really too lo
Mandeep
an enjoyable shallow angsty regency romance.

parts of the plot were predictably weak (such as the "mystery" murder), but that's pretty normal for the romance genre. but i did enjoy reading about the calculating heroine trying to snare her hero. reading what was going on in the hero's vs. the heroine's heads was funny at times. although i agree it did drag on too long. and i admit to skimming through the majority of the "sensual" scenes

as for the criticism about the heroine demanding too much (a
Chitra *CJ*
Jul 25, 2016 Chitra *CJ* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
This started out very well. But just went a tad too long.
So we've known the twins Amanda and Amelia since book one of the series- and once we got bar Cynsters and honorary Cynsters out- I knew they'd be next.
So this book, Amanda meets her match in the elusive and secluded Earl of Dexter, Martin who she ensnares from the first meeting. He on a similar note, gets addicted to the sweet lady Cynster and their rendezvous begin.
Time after time, they continue meeting- where Amanda plans to woo Dexter i
Deirdre
This story is part of the Cynster series, this time one of the Cynster Females. Amanda is 23, pretty much on the shelf but she wants someone like her cousins as a love, however that isn't easy to find. She decides that she's going to find love in unusual places and delves into the underbelly of the Beau Monde, visiting those places considered a bit risky.

Yes, there are sections of the book and the plot that are great fun, but there are also chunks thata just made me want to beg the writer why? I
Melissa
Jul 17, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-reads
Amanda's book.

Bored with all the polite gentlemen in the ton, none of which are suitable husband material since she is used to Cynster males, she drags a childhood friend to a gaming hell and meets her hero, the newly returned Earl of Dexter.

Who she then ropes into squiring her around while she seeks out a more "dangerous" man to make her husband. Things get hot (if you like your romances hot, Laurens definitely turned it up in this one, IMO, which is a little icky since the twins have featured
Dawn
Aug 06, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's time for the Cynster twins to have their story. This one is for Amanda. She has decided to seek her mate in the shadows of London society while Amelia has opted for the light.

Amanda goes into a gaming hell looking for adventure. She finds it in the form of Martin Fulbridge, the Earl of Dexter. He comes to her rescue when she finds she has accepted a wager on a game of whist and has no partner. The fun begins. She has set her sites on him and he knows it, but is helpless to avoid it.

There is
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • A Necessary Husband (Necessary, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Never Lie to a Lady (Neville Family #1)
  • Bride for a Night
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Winter Fire (Maxwells, #2) (Only, #6)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy, #1)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Seduction of a Proper Gentleman (Last Man Standing #4)
  • Fairest of Them All
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Cynster (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn
  • The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)

“And that's my point," Richard stated. "Do you remember when you stood there, in a ballroom or whatever, and watched her stalk off - and wondered what the hell was going on?” 3 likes