Start by marking “Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)” as Want to Read:
Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)

Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist #7)

Retrieval Artist Miles Flint is on a personal missionto bring down the corrupt law firm of Wagner, Stuart, and Xender. Then a journalist working with him is murdered, and Miles may be next. But before he can begin to investigate, he has a more personal crisis to deal withhis daughter Talia is missing. Taliaone of six clones of Miles long-dead childhas gone off to find the ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Roc (first published January 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Duplicate Effort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duplicate Effort

Chris
Feb 09, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Jim
May 25, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is best to start with the first of this series and read in order. Although each book can be read independent of the other, in terms of story, she builds on the history developed in the previous books. Reading this one first would tell you the ending of several others.

1: The Disappeared, 2002
2: Extremes, 2003
3: Consequences, 2004
4: Buried Deep, 2005
5: Paloma, 2006
6: Recovery Man, 2007
7: Duplicate Effort, 2009

Note, reading this review of Duplicate Effort may spoil earlier books in the series.

Th
Shipofools999
Mar 07, 2017 Shipofools999 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, keep
As good as any other of the series. Visited most of the main characters. Sill love flint best.
Shelly Ng
5 stars for Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist book 7) by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

In my opinion, an author who ventures - and more importantly is willing - to kill off her story characters is one who will go far in spinning stories that are remarkably different and then proceed to top them off with phenomenal sequels. Rusch, author of the Retrieval Artist series definitely qualifies as one such; she takes me by surprise book after book with the unexpected and irrevocable dropout of characters mos
FicusFan
Marion Hill
Nov 10, 2013 Marion Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There is always consequences when you try to take down the Moon’s most powerful law firm.

This is the dilemma that Retrieval Artist Miles Flint faces in Duplicate Effort: Book 7 of the Retrieval Artist Series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.

Being a retrieval artist means you are suppose to work alone and keep those who love and care about at arms-length. Well at this point in the series, Flint has broken the code he learned from his mentor, Paloma. He has created an inner circle that includes his clone
Phaedrus
Feb 10, 2011 Phaedrus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the future, mankind will have trade agreements and treaties with numerous alien societies. In order to maintain good relations with these trading partners, it is a general law that local laws apply to humans when they are on an alien world. Problem is, some of these local laws are preposterous to the human way of thinking. Sometimes the penalties for breaking them involve not only the perpetrator, but his children and his future descendants. If you accidentally sneeze at a funeral on Procyon ...more
Kalyn
Jul 24, 2009 Kalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
I really like this series and I enjoyed this installment. I would recommend starting at the beginning though as I started with Recovery Man and felt like I was missing something in this novel. I plan to go back and read the previous books in the series. At any rate, I really liked seeing what happened with Miles and Talia after the conclusion of Recovery Man and I am very interested to see if the series continues so that I can find out how these characters keep growing. I also will read the prev ...more
Glen U
May 08, 2016 Glen U rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Duplicate Effort" is Kristine Kathryn Rusch's 7th saga in the Retreival Artist series. In this latest installment, she continues her exemplary writing to entertain and enthrall the reader. Unlike her previous stories, which dealt with aliens and their subsequent cultures and mores, "Duplicate Effort" utilizes the main characters and their lives, to produce a tightly written murder mystery, albeit still set in a domed city on the Moon. Rusch's attention to detail, especially that of futuristic p ...more
Dan

This book serves as a great example of why I usually don't like reading books that comprise a long series, particularly when I'm coming to it in the middle. There were a boatload of characters, most of whom had appeared in previous books, each of whom had an extensive backstory there. The plot here revolved around incidents that had occurred in other books. There are some details that might have been covered previously, but don't get mentioned here. (This story takes place on the Moon. But no me

Brad
Jun 16, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, z-2009
This is the last book of the series as of right now, and it ends things at a nice point. I'm satisfied with the series and enjoyed it all quite well. While this last book wasn't quite as good as the middle books of the series, it still delivered pretty well.

Rating: PG-13 for minor language and some violence/gore.

Minor spoilers ahead:

Flint has a daughter to take care of now, and I was worried that this would affect the quality of the book. I think I enjoyed the story less because of this, but mos
BobA707
Jul 03, 2014 BobA707 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Another great story, cleverly put together in the uncomfortable future universe and set on the moon. This only gets 4 stars as it leaves to much unsaid. Very little on the aliens in this book, which I miss, but I suspect we will see plenty more in later books ...

Plotline: Building on the previous stories, but adding new dimensions and a further mystery. Another great mystery sci-Fi book

Premise: It's an uncomfortable future universe in which humans have to take their place among many div
Al
Aug 05, 2015 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I read one of the Retrieval Artist series books. Rusch's writing is so good and consistent over all of the books in the series that it takes no effort to slip back into the story and world the books take place in. Great characterization with real reactions and interactions. Science Fiction with definite hard SF elements that are incredibly consistent with the way science works. Easy to imagine these things happening. Best to read all books in series in order written. Al ...more
Samuel Lubell
Apr 05, 2014 Samuel Lubell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miles is no longer acting as a Retrieval Artist as he is focused on raising the clone of his daughter, who is herself a computer genius like him. But he hired a reporter to expose the law firm that he thinks got his mentor killed. When that reporter is murdered, despite the protection he had arranged, Miles investigates. This is fast moving and a lot of fun. He finds himself working with and against his former partner, now security chief of the moon, and Detective Nyquist.
Karen Wyle
Nov 01, 2015 Karen Wyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book has everything I enjoy about the Retrieval Artist series with one notable exception.

It has well-drawn, three-dimensional characters; the right amount of suspense for my tastes; plot twists and turns; and crisp dialogue. What it doesn't have much of: the exploration of how human and alien ethical and legal systems interact and conflict.
Ellen Brandt
Miles Flint: "Retrieval Artist", computer hacker, and former detective rethinks his priorities as he takes on the role of single father of a teen daughter. Unfortunately, it's no easy task to keep himself and his daughter safe when the past catches up with him. This is the most recent installment in the Retrieval Artist series, I hope there will be more.
Tbfrank
Strong, fast-paced plot with good characters but relies on the history of the series even though the novel generally is self-contained. Though set on the moon, other than the environmental aspects of life inside a dome, there is curiously no obvious indication of being on a world with significantly less gravity.
Nick
Feb 10, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid entry in the series, this book gives Flint a new vulnerability. He can't worry only about himself and must use all his skills to save his daughter. I really enjoyed the plot and the twist, which has been in the works for a few books now. I also enjoyed the character development of the minor characters in this book. A 3.5 out of 4. I will pick up the next one soon.
Purpleholic
Jun 03, 2011 Purpleholic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the series that I read. I am so glad that I found this series and I am looking forward to reading the whole series. The story moves quickly yet loose ends are being mopped up in future books.
Ryan Williams
Jun 16, 2015 Ryan Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun novel in my ongoing binge of the Retrieval Artist series. This one has close ties to the previous book, The Recovery Man, and is less focused on problems caused by alien laws except as a consequence of things that happened in previous books.
Carole
Jun 04, 2009 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marin recommended this series to me, but it seems that all but the last book are out of print. This one was quite good though.

There is a big black fly buzzing around my room right now and I don't know what to do about it.

Anyways, I liked this book.
Jason Reeser
This was a disappointment, since the other books in this series were so fantastic. I kept feeling as if the author were not really sure why she was writing another book in this series. Maybe it was contractual. It was still interesting enough to finish, but not by much.
Weasel
Mar 20, 2011 Weasel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Sci-Fi mystery. While the world has aliens (I hate aliens in my sci-fi) none of them appear in this book. Otherwise, the mystery is fine. The writer builds an impressive world, and it's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.
Jun 13, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author has built an intriguing and complex universe, with gray areas, moral complexities, and compelling protagonists and antagonists. I love this series and recommend it highly, especially if you like Kage Baker's series.
Brent Showalter
Nov 07, 2010 Brent Showalter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the entire book in one setting. It was great! I stumbled across the book because of this review by Orson Scott card: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/ev...
Mary
Jul 23, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Great addition to the series.
Dave
May 29, 2015 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Loved it. Great characters that are real- not buddy-buddy about everything. Do not read these out of order.
Bonnie
Jul 03, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoy this series. Good read.
Falbs
Aug 01, 2011 Falbs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Detective novels suck, but I did like the way the author used the clone daughter to give us some of the background.
Dorothy
Jun 29, 2011 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
10hrs:31mns
  • Emissaries from the Dead (Andrea Cort, #1)
  • Reap the Wild Wind (Stratification, #1)
  • The Crystal Variation (Liaden Universe, #1-3)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Starseed (Stardance, #2)
  • The Morning Which Breaks (Loralynn Kennakris, #2)
  • Bitter Angels
  • The Human Disguise
  • War To The Knife (Laredo War Trilogy #1)
  • Arkfall
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)
  • Never Surrender (The Empire's Corps, #10)
  • Moon Flights
  • The Automatic Detective
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • The Stars Down Under (The Outback Stars #2)
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw
More about Kristine Kathryn Rusch...

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel
  • A Murder of Clones (Retrieval Artist, #10)