Start by marking “Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)” as Want to Read:
Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy, #13)

Cat's Eyewitness (Mrs. Murphy #13)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,901 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
It’s no secret that cats are a mystery writer’s best friend. Just ask the bestselling team of Rita Mae Brown and her furry partner, Sneaky Pie Brown, back on the prowl with another unforgettable whodunit. This time a controversial miracle in Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains sparks religious fervor–and a suspicious death. Now the indefatigable felines Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat's Eyewitness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat's Eyewitness

Sharla
Jun 03, 2014 Sharla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the transition book between Harry's days as postmistress and the next phase in which she remarries Fair. The mystery seems to take a backseat here to the personal relationships of the characters. I loved the line, "In an ideal world you fall in love with the person, not the wrapping paper." I tried reading one of the later books and couldn't get through it. The tone seems different and less enjoyable to me so this book becomes the last in the series for me.
Becky
Sep 13, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! Harry's furry kids deserve all of the credit for solving this mystery!

Ironically, my furry kid kept nugding me during a mishap of the critters. I asked him, "Do you really know what I'm reading, and you wanted to be a part of it too?"

Aeron
Apr 27, 2010 Aeron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm ashamed to even admit that I read this book as an adult, so you can imagine I'm even more ashamed to admit that now that I've finished it I actually miss the characters.

The last I read Rita Mae Brown was some 15 years ago. She likes making her pets real characters that have conversations with each other, although the humans can't understand these conversations. As someone who is gaga for my pets (seriously, I cook all my dog's food and let her sleep under the blankets in my bed), the talkin
Kelley Ross
Unlike the other novels in this series, I feel like Cat's Eyewitness was actually a decent murder story. So for once, I wasn't reading just because I like the idea of talking cats. (Well, that was part of it...)

Call me judgmental, but I was expecting the religious subject matter to be too heavy-handed. Fortunately Brown knows how to write a mystery involving monks while sitting on the fence between pious and skeptical. I think Brown knows her characters so well that when I do read one of them qu
Regan
Jun 22, 2015 Regan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept waiting for the mystery and sleuthing to begin....instead it was a lot of religion and angst about relationships. Then there was the "big reveal" that BoomBoom is gay -- and everything thinks it's great and the women all now think their marriages are safe because the town siren comes out as gay. Seriously? The cats were, as usual, entertaining.
Angela
Apr 09, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm back to reading these after a several year hiatus and have found enjoyment in them again. I wasn't sure how I would like the change of Harry not working in a post office full time but it seems the story line will be just as interesting. Pewter by far is still my favorite character!
Beko
Jan 26, 2010 Beko rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb sounded interesting (kinda like 'Ms Marple wih cats') but unfortunately the book was boring and predictable. I knew immediately the murderer had to be Brother Mark, and was hoping for some genius plot twist that would reveal it was NOT him after all... in vain.
Also, too much talk about cars, and why would animals care about humans' religion, fashion or marriages?
Also, people who wear chinchilla furs and go fox hunting shouldn't call themselves 'animal lover'...
Rdonn
Feb 17, 2011 Rdonn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first Rita Mae Brown book with talking animals as well as humans. What seems like a fluffy mystery to read turned out to have lots of religious, philosophical and religious opinings which I found intrusive. I won't become one of Ms. Brown's faithful readers.
Bobbie N
SUMMARY: Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen and her best friend, Susan Tucker, seek some time and space for personal reflection at a nearby mountain monastery. While there, a statue of the Virgin Mary starts to cry tears of blood. When one of the monks, Susan's great uncle Thomas, is found frozen to death in front of the statue, curiousity starts to get the best of Harry. COMMENTS: One of the best in a fun series; even better than the mystery is the secondary plot-line in which Olivia Craycroft falls ...more
Crystal Hasemann
enjoyed
Drebbles
Nov 16, 2009 Drebbles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
In this latest entry in the Sneaky Pie Brown mystery series, many of the residents of Crozet, Virginia are at a crossroads in life. Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen has quit her job as postmistress because her two cats - Mrs. Murphy and Pewter - and her dog, Tee Tucker, are no longer allowed there. As she tries to decide what to do next, Fair, her ex-husband, proposes for what he says will be the last time. Harry's best friend Susan, has problems of her own, including a secret she has kept buried fo ...more
Oceana2602
Ok, I'm going to do a standard review for the rest of the Mrs. Murphy books I read, because I really can't think of something smart to say about every single one of them. Actually, it's hard to come up with something smart to say about any one of them, because they are not really smart books.

Though, no, that's not true. They aren't trivial as such, they aren't too easy - or, in other words, they don't hurt my brain while I read them. But I think we can all agree that they are also not "great li
Paul Lunger
May 15, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do a statue of the Virgin Mary crying blood tears, a monastery & murder have in common? Quite a bit in this installment in the Mrs. Murphy mystery series. In "Cat's Eyewitness", we visit the monastery at Mt Carmel where the statute of Blessed Virgin Mary begins to cry tears of blood. When a monk is found dead worshiping the image at first all seems normal, but when a local reporter also turns up dead then things get interesting. Brown actually does a better than normal job with trying t ...more
Andi
Jun 16, 2008 Andi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, the fact that an author would list her cat as a co-writer kind of appalls me, as much as I love cats (Sneaky Pie is a cat, in case you didn’t know), so when I went for another car listening book, this time for the ride down to my parents’ in Virginia, I was surprised to pick this one up. But it’s set near where my parents live, so . . .
Turns out that I really enjoyed it. The mystery isn’t that galling, although it’s well-written, but again, the characters are great. . . and I should ha
Lynn
May 16, 2009 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Normally I love Mrs. Murphy adventures, but I felt this one was more a political statement than a Mrs. Murphy adventures. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it felt there was some serious author's bias in the book, and at time, the author's agenda was being pounded into the reader. Some of the pounding felt out of character for the characters, and some of it just felt that the author needed to voice her opinions and this was the way to do it.

I'm not giving up on Mrs. Murphy because I love t
Darlene Wilson
With her animal entourage in tow cats Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, and the canny corgi Tucker Mary Minor Harry Haristeen and her best friend, Susan Tucker, head to the mountain monastery of Mount Carmel for some much needed rest and relaxation Another of the Blind Date Books - quite different!
Genie
Feb 28, 2009 Genie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While visiting the grounds of the Mt. Carmel, Mary Minor "Harry" Harristeen notices the statue of the Virgin Mary is crying tears of blood. This is only the beginning of strange occurances on the property.

Once the word gets out, large numbers of town residents with the news cameras in the lead, trudge up the mountain to witness this strange event. When a monk is found dead at the foot of the statue, it is at first written off as death by natural causes. After the news reporter who covered the s
Susan
Feb 24, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In all fairness I'm updating my list in 2014 but read this in 2009. I made a note on my hand-written list, "didn't finish, didn't like". From that long ago, I can't remember why!
Jeannine Stewart
I enjoy the Sneaky Pie Brown mysteries, all of the characters and the setting in Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains in the charming town of Crozet. I do get a little tired of Harry's constant angst but I put up with it.
Another good, fast mystery. The characters continue to grow and I'm interested to see what trouble they'll get into next.
Debbie
Dec 09, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this series and this one is just as good as the rest. They are quick easy reads with great characters, both human and animal....
Marti
Mar 30, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This one had to do with a religious scam. It was ok, especially if you've decided you like this series.
Vicky
Oct 09, 2007 Vicky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book several years ago, so the review I'm writing pertains more to the whole series (or at least the ones I've read) rather than this specific installment. Rita Mae Brown is one of my favorite mystery authors. The way she incorporates the protagonist's animal friends is simply delightful, especially because I'm an animal lover. Also, the way her stories develop are almost always novel and gripping. Finally, her characters are thoroughly lovable and though they might fit certain myste ...more
Phyllis Gauker
I always enjoy the stories about Harry and the cats and dog, her friends, and Virginia horse country. Maybe it's because I grew up in Virginia.
Kim
Jun 02, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting ride with kitty mysteries. Intriguing questions on faith.
Wendy
The Mrs. Murphy books are lots of fun!
Bron
Murder mystery with cat dialogue!
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Harry, Mrs. Murphy, Tucker and Pewter are at it again. Along with Susan for human company, the group is out to solve another murder in Crozet County.
Added to this particular mystery is the life decisions Harry has to deal with, giving her more than just a murder to solve.
I enjoy this series and the personalities of the characters. Also the images of Crozet and its residents. Reading Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie's books, takes me on a vacation without leaving the comfort of my own home.
Pearl Drolet
Jun 14, 2013 Pearl Drolet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another great book in the Mrs. Murphy mystery series. Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown never disappoint. It is a cozy, but not a lightweight. The characters have depth and the plot development is interesting. Mary Minor Hairsteen is not your typical ditzy heroine who sticks her nose in where it doesn't belong. She is a well-fleshed-out character who gets involved because it makes sense, and her animals are an integral part of her life and the mystery.
George
Nov 15, 2007 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Another "Harry" Haristeen and her two cats and Welsh corgi mystery set in rural Crozet, Virginia. With the help of her pets, Harry manages to unravel another mystery this time involving murders relating to a Catholic monastery and tears coming from a statue of the Virgin Mary there. Story also moves forward relationships and lives of the various recurring characters in the series.

A pleasant read with some humor, colorful characters, and a good mystery.
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (Cat Who... #22)
Rita Mae Brown is a prolific American writer, most known for her mysteries and other novels (Rubyfruit Jungle). She is also an Emmy-nominated screenwriter.

Brown was born illegitimate in Hanover, Pennsylvania. She was raised by her biological mother's female cousin and the cousin's husband in York, Pennsylvania and later in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Starting in the fall of 1962, Brown attended the Un
More about Rita Mae Brown...

Mrs. Murphy (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Wish You Were Here (Mrs. Murphy, #1)
  • Rest in Pieces (Mrs. Murphy #2)
  • Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • Pay Dirt (Mrs. Murphy, #4)
  • Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy, #5)
  • Murder on the Prowl (Mrs. Murphy, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Claws and Effect (Mrs. Murphy, #9)
  • Catch as Cat Can  (Mrs. Murphy, #10)

“Every time you behold the Blue Ridge Mountains, every time you feel a snowflake on your eyelashes, every time you see a frog on a lily pad, every time a friend gives you his hand, Brooks, God loves you. You’re surrounded by His love. We look for it in all the wrong places as we pray for worldly success. We say that must be proof of God’s love. Some people pray not for material success but for an easy life.” He shook his head. “No, even our pains are a sign of His love, for they will lead you to the right path, if you’ll only listen.” 1 likes