Start by marking “Civil Disobedience (Forgotten Books)” as Want to Read:
Civil Disobedience (Forgotten Books)

Read Book* *Different edition

Civil Disobedience (Forgotten Books)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  7,644 Ratings  ·  400 Reviews
Civil disobedience is the active refusal to obey certain laws, demands and commands of a government, or of an occupying power, without resorting to physical violence. It is one of the primary tactics of nonviolent resistance. In its most nonviolent form (known as ahimsa or satyagraha) it could be said that it is compassion in the form of respectful disagreement.

Civil disob
Published February 20th 2008 by Forgotten Books (first published 1849)

Chris_P
Or how to not let yourself be manipulated by any kind of authority.An essay that states some of the basic ideas of being a human being, the way I see it. It should be taught in schools.

The progress from a total to a restricted monarchy, and from a restricted monarchy to democracy, is a progress toward real respect for the individual. However, is democracy, as we know it, the last possible improvement of governing?

I wonder what he'd say if he saw what we define as democracy today...
peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، در زمینۀ «نافرمانی مدنی» این کتابِ 55 صفحه ای را انتخاب نمودم، تا شما بزرگواران را با مفهوم آن آشنا سازم
تعبيرِ «نافرمانی مدنی» برایِ اولين بار در قرنِ نوزدهم، در آمریکا، از سویِ همین نویسنده «هنری ديويد ثرو» ابداع و بکار برده شد
عزیزانم، «نافرمانی مدنی» مفهومی پيچيده و چند سويه در فرهنگ سياسی غرب میباشد... اقدامی با انگيزۀ سياسی و اخلاقی، علنی و مسالمت آميز برایِ اعتراض نسبت به رفتارِ قوایِ دولتی، كه حداقل از منظرِ چگونگی امر، نقض قانون مشخصی را به همراه دارد
نویسنده بارها و بارها
Dany Burns
Jan 22, 2017 Dany Burns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
This is a very interesting read. Though the language can seem a bit old and hard to get through and understand the message is important and rings out loud and clear. Many people are content to sit around and wait for the right thing to happen but in order for the right the to happen there must be action. If laws are unjust it is your duty to break those laws. So many people forget the actions of the founders of the US were treasonous. Sometime the only way to stand up for what is right is to wor ...more
James
Jun 12, 2017 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
Book Review
This is pretty complicated. It had some thought-invoking ideas, but it was very boring. All I kept reading about was important and definitely had meaning, but it seemed so “already known.” I suppose that’s because, again, I am interpreting the piece with a 20th century mind, whereas it was written with a 19th century mind. It was probably made sense back then. It would have been first time news in the 1800s.

My favorite part of the whole piece was when Thoreau described his night
Rachel
Oct 24, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm still pondering what I think about this essay, so I'm not quite sure what I'd like to say about it yet. It is different than what I expected. I always thought of Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" as the work that inspired non-violent protests like 1960s sit-ins and Ghandi's hunger strikes--and it IS an inspiration, but it is not about those types of actions, as far as I can tell.

Thoreau, rather, suggests that people should just withdraw from an unjust government (and this, to Thoreau inc
Paula W
Feb 17, 2017 Paula W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure how to review this. Something to come tomorrow maybe after I think about it for a bit.
Riku Sayuj
Sep 28, 2011 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Was a wonderful experience to read it in parallel with The Prince.
Luís C.
Civil Desobedience

Henry David Thoreau wrote the essay Civil Disobedience to show his opposition to slavery and American imperialism. His essay has influenced many prominent civil rights activists, including Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thoreau's essay Civil Disobedience or Resistance to Civil Government, published in 1849, is a call to arms similar to the stances that people like Parks and King would later take. Thoreau argued that people owed it to themselves and their fellow man not to blindly f
James
Feb 21, 2010 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would love to have met this man in person. What a brilliant wit and iron nerve to say what he did, when he did, and how he did, to whom he did. For the contemporary patriot who doesn't quite know where he stands, this work will test his devotion, and force an analysis of his political thinking.
Saman
Apr 16, 2015 Saman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I might have liked this book ten years ago. Now it's just too basic. The ideas represented here seem so obvious, if of course, you believe what Thoreau says is the right way to do things. I don't believe his theory of individual civil disobedience would actually work in today's world.
What is more is that the book is written in such a dry manner that it almost takes all the joy out of reading it.
I'll never understand how this book got so many 5 star reviews.
Beatrice Santos
A Desobediência Civil é um manifesto semi-anárquico de alguém que há muito perdeu a fé e a consideração que tinha pelo Estado e o Governo. A aversão é tanta que Thoreau diz que devemos todos combatê-lo numa forma activa, deixando de pagar impostos, mesmo que isso signifique a cadeia, e condena aqueles que, com preocupações como família e estabilidade, se deixam ir numa letargia em relação à justiça.

O autor defende ainda que se for preciso, devemos tomar uma atitude eremita. "Temos de viver so
Jerry Jose
Feb 25, 2017 Jerry Jose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Can there not be a government in which majorities do not virtually decide right and wrong, but conscience?"

Even at the known risk of getting branded as a boring old uncle, I must admit into finding Thoreau's venerated essay fascinatingly metal. I was introduced into this venerated magnum opus by Mahatma Gandhi ,who during his non-violence movement, has undoubtedly elevated the duty of Civil Disobedience from individual consciousness to the ethics of a collective. (also freely available on inte
Martha Sweeney
Mar 24, 2015 Martha Sweeney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Needed a break from editing and read Civil Disobedience for the first time. Loved it. It's a key piece of literature that I think everyone should read, not just in America, but all over the world concerning everything that is occurring in governments all across the world.

Peace - Love - Prosperity - Happiness to You and Everyone
Alberto
Five stars for the importance of the topic Thoreau discusses; one star because his answer is absurdly wrong (and simplistic).

I know that this is supposed to be a classic, and even Gandhi cited it as inspiration.  My opinion is, unfortunately, quite different.  Civil Disobedience amounts to a tract in favor of anarchism.  Some choice quotes...
That government is best which governs not at all.

[The state's] very Constitution is the evil.

Beyond the high-flying rhetoric, let's look at his more reasone
Ichigotta
Emprisonné pour cause de non paiement de taxes, le philosophe Thoreau Henry David étaye dans ce petit essaie les causes qui l'y ont en poussé. On saura donc que c'est pour ne pas être complice des actes esclavagistes et belliqueux de son pays que celui-ci a pris parti de la désobéissance civile qui n'est autre qu'une forme de résistance.

Suivant la même lignée que Discours de la servitude volontaire: Contr'un de Étienne de La Boétie, cet essaie remet en cause le pouvoir qu'ont les gouvernements s
Paras2
Apr 14, 2017 Paras2 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
well this was basically a guide on how to stand up for what you believe even if that means going to jail for it. tho it was a practical side of Emerson's ideas, I preferred Emerson. his language was more pleasant.
Kathleen
“What I have to do is to see, at any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong which I condemn.”

This seemed an appropriate time to read this daring essay about Thoreau’s disagreement with the actions of the government, and his belief that the majority is not always right. I understand why this inspired Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. It sets out a simple, straight-forward argument for not going along with your government when it acts egregiously.

“Action from principle, the perceptio
Vale
Sono nato troppo in alto per essere posseduto,
per essere il secondo, al controllo,
o l'utile servo e strumento
di qualsiasi stato sovrano del mondo.

L'idea del potere reale di un Governo è la più grande fandonia messa in atto dall'umanità. Purtroppo Thoreau è un genio ed è quindi destinato ad una visione del mondo troppo complicata per i suoi contemporanei e troppo moderna per la nostra contemporaneità.

Se quest'anno un migliaio di persone non pagassero le tasse non si tratterebbe di un'azione viol
Mohammad Ali
Sep 27, 2014 Mohammad Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: سیاست
متن خود نافرمانی مدنی و همچنین افزوده های این جزوه ی الکترونیکی بسیار جالب و جذاب بودند. البته برای من بیشتر از نفس این اثر و رویکردهاش، زندگی شخص ثورو و عملکردهاش جالب و گیرا بودند. باید اذعان کرد که افزوده ها واقعا بجا و مناسبند.

در مورد ترجمه باید متاسفانه اذعان کرد که ترجمه ی اصل مقاله ی نافرمانی مدنی متوسط و گاهی زیر متوسط است - البته اصل مقاله هم ابهاماتی دارد و من چند جایی که به آن مراجعه کردم مشکلی برایم حل نشد و جملات گرچه به نحو لغوی فهم می شدند اما منظور نویسنده گنگ باقی می ماند. در مو
Jacq Jardin
Aug 20, 2009 Jacq Jardin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think I would enjoy reading this. I did, though, and I'm sure glad I picked it up. Written in a very articulate manner, the paper is enjoyable, convincing, inspiring and stimulating all at once. Thoreau's strong moral convictions and high respect for the individual are evident in each line. Some of my favorites are:

"Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison."

"The progress from an absolute to a limited monarchy, from a limited monarchy to
Sheila
Interesting, but it didn't engross me in the way I hoped it would. The only passage I highlighted was "There will never be a really free and enlightened State until the State comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived, and treats him accordingly. I please myself with imagining a State at last which can afford to be just to all men, and to treat the individual with respect as a neighbor, which even would not think it ...more
Denise
Nothing new under the sun. As good a read when first published as today.

Not saying Mr. Thoreau has all the answers or even the best kind of answers. In today's political climate, it is important to stretch back to those who "been there, done that." Thoreau influenced many greats such as Martin Luther King Jr.
Phillip
Jun 02, 2016 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thoreau
This is good to read during a divisive election year.
Chris
Sep 08, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
(This is a long post which can also be found here: http://publiusnapkin.wordpress.com/20...)

I had meant to read up on Thoreau for quite some time now, and took the opportunity yesterday to read the Project Gutenberg text of Civil Disobedience on my Kindle. I found the essay well-conceived, enjoyable, and dripping with an arrogance that only comes with a supreme confidence in one’s intellect, moral standing, and social status. That said, while I was impressed by Thoreau’s well-articulated respect
Jeske
Feb 19, 2017 Jeske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful essay that has influenced people like MLK jr and Gandhi. Still very relevant today..
Ex Libris
Sep 02, 2010 Ex Libris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thought provoking book that invokes the paradox of American political history and it's long preoccupation with the triad of freedom/slavery/taxation and an interesting read in the time of the Tea Party.
On the one hand, Thoreau has clearly identified two of the great evils of American political history, slavery and, here in the guise of the Mexican American War, expansionist warfare. His desire to sever himself from any complicity in these wrongs is laudable, as is his willingness to seek out d
Jeremy
Apr 12, 2011 Jeremy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wonder what Thoreau would think of the Tea Party.

Thoreau rejects government of most types and fails to pay taxes as a protest mainly against slavery and the Mexican War (from what I gather), which indeed are noble reasons to reject supporting a compulsory tax. If more people had been like Thoreau, slavery would have been abolished decades earlier than it was. That being said, I think Thoreau would have disdained the Tea Party movement since it seems to only be about angry people vaguely compla
nanette
Thoreau's dreamland lies in Civil Disobedience (CD). It is fictional--unrealistic. Thoreau's life speaks more than his 'work.' I found CD to be pompous and wondered how it would read differently had a friendly stranger not paid his fine for which he spent but one night in jail (which account makes him an expert on the pangs of incarceration, so he thinks, and is an embarrassment of himself, even difficult to read without eye rolling--poor cellmate!) but instead suffered as so many other oppresse ...more
Marta
"All men recognize the right of revolution; that is, the right to refuse allegiance to, and to resist, the government, when its tyranny or its inefficiency are great and unendurable."

Thoreau advocates that people not simply submit to laws but that laws are subject to conscience. A moral person should not give allegiance to a state with unjust laws. This piece was written specifically against slavery and the Mexican war, and later influenced the nonviolent protests of Ghandi and the civil rights
Highlights 1 3 May 26, 2017 08:59AM
  • The Journals of Ayn Rand
  • The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates
  • Essays, First Series
  • Authority and the Individual
  • The Statesman (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Dos Delitos e das Penas
  • En defensa de la intolerancia
  • Mutual Aid
  • Mythmakers and Lawbreakers: Anarchist Writers on Fiction
  • Democracy in America Volume 1
  • The Will to Believe, Human Immortality and Other Essays in Popular Philosophy
  • A View from the Bridge / All My Sons
Henry David Thoreau (born David Henry Thoreau) was an American author, naturalist, transcendentalist, tax resister, development critic, philosopher, and abolitionist who is best known for Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings, and his essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civil government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Thoreau's books
More about Henry David Thoreau...

“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” 898 likes
“Take long walks in stormy weather or through deep snows in the fields and woods, if you would keep your spirits up. Deal with brute nature. Be cold and hungry and weary.” 196 likes