Start by marking “Goose's Story” as Want to Read:
Goose's Story

Goose's Story

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Sometimes the most unlikely heroine can become an inspiration

Every year the geese return. Honking and flapping, they always land in groups. But this spring something is different: an injured goose stands on one leg – alone. Shunned by the other geese, she is unable to search for food, swim, or fly away. A young girl watches and wonders how a goose with one foot can survive
Published May 1st 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Goose's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goose's Story

Sierra
Sep 03, 2012 Sierra rated it it was amazing
This picture book is based on a true story that the author experienced. This book is narrated by a little girl who realizes that there is a goose that is different from the others, it has only one leg. After being shunned by the other ducks, the little girl encourages the one legged goose to not give up. After days the one legged goose beings to wobble and lean forward to nibble on the grass. Weeks go by and the goose begins to learn how to swim and than one September day the little girl realize ...more
Emily
Jun 15, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Goose's Story is a great book for animal lovers. The story begins when a young girl and her dog discover a goose that is missing a foot. The other goose is being seperated from the rest of the geese. The young girl tries to seek help by telling her parents but they tell her that the goose needs to cope with the disability on her own. The girl and her dog visit the goose and see that goose eventually learns how to swim in the pond. The girl fears that the goose won't be able to make the migration ...more
Mar 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was on a list of books to read for Mr. Rogers storytime, which is this Wednesday for me. I think it might be a little long for my storytime crowd though. I really did like the story for older kids, though. Probably best read between parent and child.
Ms Threlkeld
Sep 17, 2014 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story about perseverance and what we are capable of, even if we don't realize it (or even if we're a goose).
Deborah
Sep 02, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animal
Based on the author's experience, a little girl finds a goose that has lost its foot. All summer the girl and her dog watch the goose. The other geese ignore the lame goose and the little girl feels sorry for it, but her parents tell her she can't make the goose her pet or else it will never learn to overcome its weakness. Soon the goose seems to learn how to swim like the other geese and surprisingly flies off with the other geese come fall. The next summer, the girl and her dog see the lame go ...more
Amy Hughes
Mar 24, 2014 Amy Hughes rated it it was amazing
Goose's Story is a good story. It is about a goose who is hurt and is shunned by the rest of the group. A little girl wants to reach out and help the goose but her mother warns her not to. It would be an excellent book for a read aloud. After, the teacher could discuss the flight pattern of geese or also the courage and persistence both the girl and goose had to have.
Dolly
Oct 25, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet (and true) tale about a goose who is injured and loses a foot and the family who watches over her. The little girl becomes very attached to the goose and so we see how the goose manages to cope with one foot through her eyes. It's a nice, heartwarming book to read aloud and our girls have borrowed it from the library a few times.
Apr 29, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
This is the true story of a girl and a goose, a goose with one foot. Cut paper illustrations are a good choice here because more realism could be upsetting. The girl silently encourages the goose, worries for him, and anxiously watches to see if he'll learn to survive. Her capacity for empathy and the goose's perseverance are central themes.
Peacegal
Jan 05, 2011 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
Goose’s Story is a wonderful humane education resource. Themes include allowing wildlife to remain wild and triumph over a physical handicap. Story also models compassion for an often-persecuted and ignored species of animal. The illustrations are a joy to look at.
Renae
Jul 09, 2010 Renae rated it did not like it
I thought it was really poorly written. The sentence structure was wretched. My kids enjoyed it, but they like most any kids book. I didn't care for it. Thankfully it is a library book so it's not like we spent money on it!
Christina Bontrager
Oct 27, 2011 Christina Bontrager rated it it was amazing
This was a very inspirational story. It demonstrates that we are each unique, and sometimes we have to face adversity, but it can be overcome. The students would be able to connect to the story and characters easily.
Inhabiting Books
My girls love this story of a one-footed goose who learns to manage her disability and the little girl who cheers her on. Based on a true story, this book gets re-checked out often from the library.
Kate Hastings
Nov 10, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-4, ecology, environment
A girl is tempted to help a wild goose who has hurt it's foot, but her mother urges her to let nature take its course. A good lesson in how to "treat" wild animals.
Datoria
Nov 18, 2010 Datoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, feel, inclusion
I really like this book. It is a realistic fiction that could tie in with seasonal changes. It also provides an oppotunity to talk about inclustion.
Candi
Jun 19, 2009 Candi marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-for-kids, aspca
Ages 4-8
Slawek
Slawek is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016
Taniela N
Taniela N marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Judy Hanrahan
Judy Hanrahan rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Joanna Estrada
Joanna Estrada marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Joana
Joana marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sadie
Sadie added it
Feb 13, 2016
Jessie Sollek
Jessie Sollek marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
shelby polk
shelby polk is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Leann Dean
Leann Dean is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Nicole Hinton
Nicole Hinton marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Melony
Melony marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Bassma Hafean
Bassma Hafean marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015