Start by marking “Burning Down My Masters' House: My Life At The New York Times” as Want to Read:
Burning Down My Masters' House: My Life At The New York Times

Burning Down My Masters' House: My Life At The New York Times

Blair recounts in detail the events that led to his downfall as a journalist for "The New York Times," as well as his personal journey to make sense of the different pieces of the puzzle.
Published August 27th 2004 by New Millennium (GB) (first published March 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Burning Down My Masters' House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Down My Masters' House

Emanuella
May 12, 2008 Emanuella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is about the downfall of Jayson Blair, the New York Times writer who resigned after writing dozens of front page stories that weren't true.

I'm reading this for a journalism ethics class. It's good because it's making me think about my future career. There have been moments where I wished I could make up some facts just to get a story finished, but that's a dangerous line to cross. I think it's important to keep a line between fiction and non-fiction, even though good storytelling somet
Flora
Feb 15, 2008 Flora rated it did not like it
What a disappointment! I thought this would be great, seedy, reactionary, hysterical, psychopathic, personality-disordered trash on the level of "Mommie Dearest" or "Monica's Story," but it was just a long boring slog through the rationalizations of a none-too-competent crook. A huge let-down for the schadenfreude crowd.
Belinda
Feb 24, 2010 Belinda rated it it was ok
To be fair, I would probably give this 2 1/2 stars. This had the potential to be a fascinating story. Unfortunately, the combination of an odd writing style and a lack of aggressive editing make it a difficult read and obscures his message.
s
May 14, 2012 s rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: journalism students
Katherine
Nov 17, 2010 Katherine rated it did not like it
The guy's a liar. How can I believe this book?
Deborah Palmer
Oct 06, 2012 Deborah Palmer rated it it was ok
Just finished "Burning Down My Masters House" by Jayson Blair. So glad that was over with. I found it very difficult to connect with this book or Mr. Blair. The ravings of a lunatic coupled with manic depression. However it did clearly express a man having an ongoing psychotic break with reality with brief periods of calm. Though I understood the dynamics of working for a racist institution like the New York Times I still feel Mr. Blair brought a lot of woe upon himself by deciding to follow the ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Sep 20, 2013 Kelly H. (Maybedog) marked it as never
While I'm not sure if there's an apology in this book somewhere and given the gross extent of his deception, I cannot trust that there is anything in this book that is true either.
RYCJ
Jan 10, 2010 RYCJ rated it really liked it
...too many fillers. Still (in light of this real happening) it's on my keeper shelf.
Saleem Khan
Jul 22, 2013 Saleem Khan rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Journalism students
** SPOILER ALERT ** The New York Times' 13,000-word story on Blair is avaialable at

---
My review, published in Metro, June 2004.

Burning Down My Masters' House
Jayson Blair
New Millennium Press Hardcover $31 (Canada)
1/2 (that's a half star, not one out of two)

Offensive.

In a word, that's what this book is. In two: Outrageously obfuscating. Three: Patently self-serving.

You get the idea.

It's what one would expect of New York Times ex-reporter Jayson Blair, who re
JMN
May 12, 2015 JMN rated it it was ok
Picked up this book because thought it had potential to be a great, insightful read, and peer into the inner workings of the NYT.

How incorrect and wrong I was. Writing style, in my view, far too choppy and all over the map to hold interest. To say I was disappointed is an understatement; While I did finish this book, it's long gone from my collection. Let another reader weave through the winding wave of mess this guy wrote and created.
Tom K
Aug 12, 2008 Tom K rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with a pulse
Recommended to Tom by: Jayson Blair
Shelves: know-the-author
Compelling. Once you read this, you may never be the same. That may be a good thing, but it just as easily could be a bad thing.

My autographed copy sits upon my shelf next to the Holy Bible.

Jayson Blair...a legendary author, an even more legendary person.

Matt
Mar 17, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
This is the single greatest book ever written. Viva Jayson!
Anna
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2008
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Peter Breitholtz
Peter Breitholtz rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2007
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2011
Ivor
Ivor rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Peregrine Frissell
Peregrine Frissell rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2013
Sheena
Sheena rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Lala
Lala rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
Dustin
Dustin rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2007
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2009
Dustin Hartley
Dustin Hartley rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Nathan Rabin
Nathan Rabin rated it did not like it
Mar 18, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2014
Jayson Blair is a journalist who was forced to resign from the New York Times in May 2003, after he was caught plagiarizing and fabricating elements of his stories.
More about Jayson Blair...