The Wayside School Collection [With Earbuds]

The Wayside School Collection [With Earbuds] (Wayside School #1-3)

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,374 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Sideways Stories from Wayside School
Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.

Wayside School is Falling Down
More humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, where students learn to tango, face the cafeteria's dreaded Mushroom Surp...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 1st 2010 by Random House (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Wayside School Collection [With Earbuds], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wayside School Collection [With Earbuds]

Dot
Jun 13, 2007 Dot rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys named nancy and girls named mac
Shelves: fiction
I cannot wait to have children simply because I plan to immediately shove these books into their hands. I didn't even know such a box set existed but since I already own each of the three books in question, I decided to add them to my collection like this.

In case you don't know, Louis Sachar is an amazing writer. That aside, these stories are so friggin' smart and doofy that I recommend them to every adult I know who isn't afraid to read a doofy book. It's about a school that was mistakenly bui...more
Liz
Nov 28, 2009 Liz rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids ages 8-10 (though I won't be recommending it)
Shelves: lis-565
Author Louis Sachar reads the first three volumes of his infamous Wayside School series, Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. Scahar's hilarious classroom antics have been favorites since they were published in the 1970's. Each story focus on the slightly strange nuances of the class on the 30th floor of Wayside School.

While the Wayside School stories may be hilarious and engaging in nature Sachar sucks all of the fun out...more
Lee Robinson
LOVED these boks when I was about 7 years old! Endlessly fascinating and imaginative stuff for the wee ones. A bit disappointing as an adult (picked up a coy last year; just wasn't the same) but isn't that just true for most of the books and movies that captured us in those days? (with a few notable exceptions...)
Heather
Audiobook read by the author. Wayside school is a little different from other schools. There is a reason these delightful children and wacky happenings have been around for so many years. The appeal stands the test of time.

The audio version moved a little slow for me...but it is probably a great pace for kid listeners!

Summaries:
Sideways stories from Wayside School: Humorous episodes from the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one class...more
Christy
SIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL–You can imagine the confusion at Wayside School when the builder made a terrible mistake. Instead of building 30 classrooms side-by-side, he built them one on top of another. Maybe that accounts for the wacky goings-on in Mrs. Jewls' class. Where else will you find children being turned into apples, dead rats wearing raincoats, and li...moreSIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL–You can imagine the confusion at Wayside School when the builder made a terrible mi...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Wayside school is just a little different. The builder built the school sideways, so it's 30 classrooms stacked on top of each other. Mrs. Jewls's class is on the 30th floor. That makes for a long hike for her students. The students at Wayside are a little different as well. One boy has a literal compulsion to pull a girl's braids. One student sleeps all the time. Everyone calls a new kid by the wrong name and he never corrects anyone. One new kid shows up wearing a raincoat and there's a huge s...more
Bren
Louis Sachar doesn't do voices. He doesn't sing, either – not unless you count the “dramatic reading” stylings of William Shatner as singing (when incanting “Wayside School is Falling Down,” for instance, or performing one character's “Missing Sock” song).

This makes the audio book compilation of Sachar's three Wayside School books (Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down, and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger) that much easier to listen to, because Sachar himself...more
Sarah Sammis
In The Wayside School Collection by Louis Sachar is seven CDs (9 hours) of the author performing the three books in the series: Sideways Stories from Wayside School, Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. Sachar's dry sense of humor and perfect sense of timing makes each joke hit its mark, making for a very silly series of shaggy dog stories.

Wayside School is Falling Down introduces the unusual school (a 30 story, one room per story building with a missing 19th...more
JayLando
These books are probably some of the bigger influences on who I am. As a person, as a humourist (of sorts), as an obsurdist... etc... etc...

This series is so charming and so funny. If you have never read them, DO IT!
OR go rub a monkey's tummy!
Sharri
We've had such fun listening to this collection of stories as a family! The author reads them in his deadpan voice, which is perfect for the tongue-in-cheek humor. This CD set is great for a long vacation drive, since each story only last a few minutes but the entire collection is several hours' worth of entertainment.

Caveat #1: The stories are hilarious but also ridiculous so not for the kid who takes things seriously or literally (eg, there's a running theme about dead rats; the dead rats snea...more
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
I love these crazy books, they were so popular you pretty much had to buy your own set, they were ALWAYS out of the library. Everyone was excited whenever a new one was published.
Julias14
The Wayside School series is funny and engaging to readers. It is a great read for 3rd to 5th graders.
I loved these stories as a kid but the audiobook read by the author was not enjoyable. I might re-read them in book form at some point.
Jamie
This book made me laugh! The book contained 30 stories about students and teachers at Wayside School, because that is how many floors there are in the building. You see, Wayside School was built the wrong way; it was built UP rather than one story with 30 classrooms in a row. Each story is a new adventure; totally wacky, interesting and exciting stories. I found myself smiling at the end of each story...even better once I started a story I couldn't stop because I had to see what happened to the...more
Tara Dawson
One of my favourite series growing up!
Mandy
I listened to this collection of 3 Wayside books. I vaguely remembered them from my childhood, so I was curious to revisit them. (I now think I may have just seen my siblings read them as it did not ring any bells.) After the first disc, I was thinking it was beyond silly and thought about throwing in the towel. But after you realize it's nothing like a realistic school story, then it's easier to bear. So here's my thought: read this with a child if possible, they will laugh at the silliness.
Jordi Rivera
When I first looked at the book I thought it was wack, but then I gave it a try. After the few first pages, I was bored! The book talks about a school that was built upside down; instead of have 1 floor with 26 rooms, they had 26 floors with 1 room in each! After that, it was getting interesting because they talk about all the students and teachers that go to the school, and I highly doubt there's a normal kid in there or even teacher! I really liked the book and I reccomend the book to you.
Chococatgirl11
Feb 16, 2008 Chococatgirl11 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to have a good laugh every once in a while.
Super silly books that involve everything from a teacher that turns kids into apples, to an invasion of cows that causes the school to close, to a teacher that thinks the students are talking monkeys! Each book has 30 chapters but the books are very short. I saw the play at the Arden Theater a few years ago for the first book, Sideways Stories At Wayside School, and I literally fell out of my seat because I was laughing so hard.
Minjun
These Wayside stories are fantasticly hilarious! I laughed my head off when I read about the part where Jane and Ms.Drazil has a race(?) in the forst! Sachar grossed me out by telling the little part of the story, and done! So Sachar makes me think of the end, since he had told from the middle of the story! I liked it when Allison discovers 19th story!!!! I like Wayside School, alot! I want to go to there!!!
Andrew
Just before my wedding I found one of these in my wife's family home and I realized I had never read the NON-math Wayside books. My mother is a math teacher, so I read those ones for sure. Anyway, with the wedding planning and execution going on I didn't really have the attention span for anything adult and these were a nice distraction before bed.
Kayla8f
Mar 30, 2008 Kayla8f is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
the reason i am reading this book is because my teacher Melissa Graham had told me to read it like all the other books i had read I don't know any thing about this book but most likely i would like it because i love books that have picture in it. And look really funny in the front.
Justin
Oh my goodness did I love this series. As a child, I would read them over and over knowing exactly what would transpire but remain transfixed by the quirky and unique set of characters and scenarios. Perhaps the best piece of absurdist comedy for children that exists. Pure gold.
Chris
Oct 27, 2008 Chris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This series was recommended to me by my mother in law. She's an elementary teacher, and trying to help me find some entertaining books for my 10 year old to read. I haven't had time to start reading them yet, but they do look like fun. I do enjoy Sachar's strange humor.
Barney
Wayside School is a very wacky school. The reason for that is because of all the crazy events that are being caused by the students and also the teachers. Random students and teachers in the school cause a whole lot of trouble each day. The situations get wackier every day.
Bethany
We listened do these on audiobook over the past month. My children were enamored by them and asked to listen every time we got in the car. Being only 4 and 6, I think most of the humor was lost in them, but I certainly enjoyed it and they were still thoroughly entertained.
Brett Hollinger
Wayside school is a great series. All children should read this at least once in elementrary school.
Lara
Soooo funny! I love Louis Sachar's sense of humor with these. Loved the arrangement of the first book with the short chapters about each student. Saw a play of this with my students one year at the South Coast Repertory Theater and it made a great production.
Michelle :)
I love this series each chapter is based on a different thing but you will find out that if you have read the chapter before carefully you can find clues to answering the chapter you are on even though its a different topic. They still have something in common.
Sally
Actually, we listened to this on our 37 hour drive. Fun stories that kept the kids listening and were funny enough to keep Phil awake while driving. The chapters could almost stand alone, once you know the characters (kind of like Ms. PiggleWiggle).
Zarakoda
I love these books, especially the first one, and grew up with these as favorites. It is an immensely entertaining and nonsensical series that just captivates young readers. I especially enjoyed the whole concept of the "missing" thirteenth floor.
  • Blind Date
  • Humpty Dumpty in Oakland
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • The Twilight Zone Companion
  • Curious George's First Day of School
  • Documentary: A History of the Non-Fiction Film
  • Death Kit
  • Big Blonde and Other Stories (Penguin 60s)
  • The Ecstasy of Communication (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • Garbo
  • Out of This Furnace
  • Judy Blume Boxed Set (Fudge-a-Mania / Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great / Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing / Superfudge)
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • The World of Mr. Mulliner
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze #1)
  • Me I Am!
  • The Best Pet of All
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...
Holes (Holes, #1) Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1) Wayside School Is Falling Down (Wayside School #2) Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3) Small Steps (Holes, #2)